PDA

View Full Version : RIAA to reduce artist royalty payments.

DeAtHsTaR
12-22-2006, 04:05 PM
Fuck them. First they sue little kids for downloading hit songs. Then they move to delete every tab site from the face of the internet. Now they're trying to pay the artists less!!!

"Sometimes you just have to ask yourself if the RIAA could display more greed or avarice without actually hiring Satan as its general counsel. The Hypebot points to an article in Radio and Records which reads, "During the period when piracy was devastating the record industry, the RIAA argues, profits for publishers rose as revenue generated from ringtones and other innovative services grew. Record industry executives said there was nothing strange about seeking a rate change that would pay less to the people who write the music."

So, let's see if we get this straight. The RIAA alienates its fans and customers by overcharging, failing to embrace new technology and suing anyone who tries to give music fans what they want. At the same time, the publishers work hand in hand with innovators (such as ringtone publishers) and find great success. Now, as a thank you for all the hard work and deft thinking, the RIAA asks the feds to lower the amount of money they pay artists under statutory deals?

I'm reminded of the Simpsons spin off episode when they launched "The Critic." Jay Sherman asks the Arnold Schartzeneger-alike, "How do you sleep at night?", to which he replies, "On top of a big pile of money, with many beautiful women." I'm left to wonder, exactly how does the RIAA sleep at night?"

0r4ng3
12-22-2006, 06:59 PM
So, their reasoning for being so anti-downloading was because the artists were getting less money then they should.

Now they're paying said artists less on their own? I want to be angry, but I'm more confused.

Llamas
12-22-2006, 07:03 PM
So, their reasoning for being so anti-downloading was because the artists were getting less money then they should.

Now they're paying said artists less on their own? I want to be angry, but I'm more confused.

You're confused that the RIAA claimed they wanted to help the artists but really wanted to help themselves? I'm not really that surprised...

0r4ng3
12-22-2006, 07:04 PM
No, I'm not that stupid. I'm just confused as to what their real motives are. Y'know, besides greed.

I don't think I'm wording this right. Maybe I am that stupid.

Little_Miss_1565
12-22-2006, 09:34 PM
No, I'm not that stupid. I'm just confused as to what their real motives are. Y'know, besides greed.

No, greed really is their main motivator. Sole motivator, really.

The thing is, though, the RIAA doesn't alone control all artist royalties; it's up to the individual labels and their contracts with their artists. For example, Epitaph has been known to pay more than other labels (no idea if that's still true). So I'm wondering what royalties exactly they're talking about.

Jebus
12-22-2006, 09:54 PM
In related news, the RIAA is suing http://www.allofmp3.com for "$150,000 for each of the 11 million songs that were downloaded from June to October of 2006.." That's 1.65 trillion dollars. For those of you who don't know, allofmp3 is website based in Russia that lets you download whatever song for a few cents.
http://tech.cybernetnews.com/2006/12/22/allofmp3com-sued-for-165-trillion/

Thomas
12-23-2006, 02:03 AM
Could someone fill me in on what this whole RIAA thing is? I'm completely clueless as to what you are talking about.

Llamas
12-23-2006, 10:06 AM
You wanna know what the RIAA is? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RIAA It's the people in charge of the mainstream music industry. mtv, major labels, radio, etc, etc.