PDA

View Full Version : Take That

Vera
12-26-2006, 03:12 PM
I have rarely felt embarrassed, nostalgic and sad, all at the same time, when downloading pop music. Yesterday marked a first when I obtained Beautiful World, the comeback album of the 90's British boyband sensation Take That.

Of course, this is Take That sans their most famous member, Robbie Williams, whom I love by the way, both as a persona and as a singer, but that's all beside the point.

The embarrassment came from the fact that I was downloading what felt like trashy pop - just like all those trashy pop bands from the 90's. Given, it wasn't like I was downloading fucking Steps or 5ive - but I might as well have, from that nasty embarrassment hiding deep inside my chest.

Nostalgic because I frickin' loved those cheesy and goofy 90's pop bands, and I was a pre-teen then and as a pre-teen, that kind of shit was my definition of awesome. It brings you back. I guess this nostalgia is what put Beautiful World on top of the British charts. Everybody loves to reminisce.

Sad because this is where these guys' pathetic excuses of musical careers had come to - reviving the past. These guys who're just over 30 and who could be talented and this is all they've got to offer - rehash of the past. Nostalgia. It's just really very sad.

And the album? Well, nothing more than I expected. "Patience" is an amazing track, deserving of all that radio play, and I've listened to it a ton of times now. A few other stand out tracks, "Ain't No Love Like This" and "Shine" to name a few, but the rest are mediocre and some of the boys' vocals piss the shit out of me.

I'll give it a few more listens and then possibly delete most of the songs off my iTunes (am running out of space - hey anybody wanna buy me a new iPod?).

As far as the good ol' days go, you know, the actual 90's Take That, I love some of their songs. Back For Good and er, well that other song whose title I can't remember but it was catchy, alright.

So, this time let's not do that thing where you completely ignore everything I've typed here and be all "OMG Take That!! LAWL Boybands sux!!!! BSB blows cox!!! :mad:". I'm not saying you gotta appreciate, but offer some semi-intelligent thoughts, for fuck's sake, if you want to post at all.

Little_Miss_1565
12-26-2006, 04:00 PM
Robbie Williams FTFW. Anything he touches is gold.

Paint_It_Black
12-26-2006, 04:31 PM
They were actually pretty good, for what they were. Especially towards the end. At least that's how I remember it.

How many of them tried having solo careers? I know at least three of them did, including Robbie. Was one of them gay? Like really gay, not just gay in the way that all boybands are fucking gay.

killer_queen
12-26-2006, 05:26 PM
I'm not gonna say anything about Take That beause I simply don't know anyting about them. But like 1565 said Robbie Williams ftw and since he is perfect Take That must be perfect too.

Vera
12-27-2006, 02:52 AM
They were actually pretty good, for what they were. Especially towards the end. At least that's how I remember it.

How many of them tried having solo careers? I know at least three of them did, including Robbie. Was one of them gay? Like really gay, not just gay in the way that all boybands are fucking gay.

Really? I remember them being about as overproduced and calculated as the rest of boybands of that era but then again, I was really young back then. Then again, they seemed to all know how to sing and stuff.

One of the Boyzone was *really* gay, and of course N'Sync. Don't think any of Take That was actually gay...

Robbie Williams is one of the best British people EVER, totally. Iza would back this up if her gay husband wasn't oppressing the Robbie fangirl inside right now.

Paint_It_Black
12-27-2006, 03:50 AM
Really? I remember them being about as overproduced and calculated as the rest of boybands of that era but then again, I was really young back then. Then again, they seemed to all know how to sing and stuff.

Yeah, well I was really young too, so I don't trust my memories too much.

And yes, I was thinking of the gay guy from Boyzone by mistake.

H1T_That
12-29-2006, 06:52 AM
I liked Patience when it first came out. It's being way overplayed now, though.

darea
12-29-2006, 07:14 AM
I was really young when take that were famous , I preferred east 17 at the time, never listened to any of take that songs, but robbie williams is definately a good singer!!!!

F@ BANKZ
12-29-2006, 01:19 PM
Well in my opinion Take that are probably the only band i like that i've ever heard on the radio that i've liked (exception: NWA), sad i know but i mean c'mon all the crappy songs we hear in the charts nowadays. Their sound does contain alot of poppy trash etc... but it's very good poppy trash and although i havn't ever heard them off the radio they seem pretty good to me.

I saw Robbie at the San Siro: Milan not long before now, seriously if you EVER get the chance to seem him do. He's not a great singer though he gets by, but he's funny as fk and his songs are damn good too. All that said lol, the new album of his is the biggest load of shite i have ever seen anyone produce.