ZagmenO
12-27-2006, 08:08 PM
So ?

Camilamazed
12-27-2006, 08:38 PM
I think it IS the offspring logo. Although it doesn't say anything about it. =|

Camilamazed
12-27-2006, 08:51 PM
I thought that too... I have no idea if it is trademarked.

=/

Ixnay on the earth
12-27-2006, 09:21 PM
I smell lawsuit!! ha ha not. I don't think the logo is Copyrighted so it's fun for everybody.

Little_Miss_1565
12-27-2006, 09:22 PM
I'd hope the Offspring's lawyers would have copyrighted the shit out of that logo.

Llamas
12-27-2006, 09:30 PM
I think the offspring doesn't have rights to it, though; the artist is more likely to. And the artist can sell its use to whoever he/she wants. I don't know for sure, but that seems likely to me.

Little_Miss_1565
12-27-2006, 09:34 PM
It would really depend on the terms set up with the artist to begin with. If the artist signed anything giving reproduction rights (lulz) to the band, then it's the band's.

Llamas
12-27-2006, 09:42 PM
Yeah. I can't tell. In the co1 and splinter liners, it says that Sean Evans is in charge of art direction. Illustrations in co1 are by Alan Forbes, but the design and photography in splinter are done by other people. Either the skull belongs to Alan Forbes, or there's no copyright on it... that's what it seems. I don't have greatest hits to see what it says in there, though.

Little_Miss_1565
12-27-2006, 09:45 PM
Dexter should fire his fucking lawyer if there's no copyright on that logo.

Llamas
12-27-2006, 09:47 PM
Do you have the GH liners handy? I'm wondering what it says about art direction and such in there. I really don't think they have a copyright on it. I feel like I've seen the logo in a lot of places that weren't Offspring-related. What would be the real downsides to not copyrighting it? Other people can use it, sure, but does that hurt the Offspring?

JohnnyNemesis
12-27-2006, 09:49 PM
The logos look indistinguishable to me. I'm almost tempted to buy a pair of them there shoes and front like I'm wearin' Offspring shoes.

Little_Miss_1565
12-27-2006, 09:50 PM
Well, in terms of marketing, it's not exactly effective if everyone is using the logo so then the public doesn't associate it with the band. Additionally, with a copyright on it, anyone wishing to use the logo would have to get the band's permission and/or pay a licensing fee. So they'd be losing out in terms of revenue and marketing.

Also with a copyright, they'd have grounds to sue Converse (now owned by Nike) over copyright infringement. 'Sup, multi-million dollar payday?

0r4ng3
12-27-2006, 09:52 PM
What if...it wasn't even The Offspring's logo to begin with?

*gasp!*

dun-dun-DUNN!

Llamas
12-27-2006, 09:53 PM
The logos look indistinguishable to me. I'm almost tempted to buy a pair of them there shoes and front like I'm wearin' Offspring shoes.

Fag.

Well, in terms of marketing, it's not exactly effective if everyone is using the logo so then the public doesn't associate it with the band. Additionally, with a copyright on it, anyone wishing to use the logo would have to get the band's permission and/or pay a licensing fee. So they'd be losing out in terms of revenue and marketing.

I'm with you as far as it being effective. I suppose I can't see a reason they would be down with letting the logo be associated with a lot of things. However, I personally would not copyright something just so I could get extra money, especially if I was already famous. A lot of people would go after that, but with some of the band's views regarding filesharing and such in the past, getting buckets of money doesn't seem to be at the top of their list. It probably was in the past, but I don't know. Maybe they're satisfied now with what they've achieved.

*gasp!*

dun-dun-DUNN!
omg! First that Japanese song, and now this! Dexter! :p

Little_Miss_1565
12-27-2006, 09:54 PM
I'm with you as far as it being effective. I suppose I can't see a reason they would be down with letting the logo be associated with a lot of things. However, I personally would not copyright something just so I could get extra money, especially if I was already famous. A lot of people would go after that, but with some of the band's views regarding filesharing and such in the past, getting buckets of money doesn't seem to be at the top of their list. It probably was in the past, but I don't know. Maybe they're satisfied now with what they've achieved.

It's not a matter of just copyrighting something just to get paid, it's protecting one's business assets. It's one thing for you to get paid or not get paid for something of yours, but if someone is putting it on shoes without permission and dubbing it "FIRE SKULL" (which, imho, is a fucking lame tagline), it's a pretty clear infringement. It goes above and beyond filesharing, as this is more like to someone manufacturing their own Offspring CD's and presenting them as official rather than downloading. The Offspring have had healthy attitudes towards embracing P2P technology in the past, but they are by no means "open source." And again with the marketing. Never underestimate the marketing.

*gasp!*

dun-dun-DUNN!

http://foobooz.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/05/i_pinch.jpg

DeAtHsTaR
12-27-2006, 11:38 PM
Dry Kill Logic stole the skull too.

DexterWannabe
12-28-2006, 11:48 AM
realize; they're just jealuos

Grabbal
12-28-2006, 12:04 PM
New update on the site tomorrow called " Dexter launches his very own shoes"

DeAtHsTaR
12-28-2006, 12:40 PM
I love broken english.

Grabbal
12-28-2006, 12:42 PM
I love broken english.

Omg just noticed it..
Fixed it now though... What was it that I wrote?? dont remember!!

RageAndLov
12-28-2006, 04:23 PM
Copyright or not. Those shoes are awsome!:D

RageAndLov
01-20-2007, 04:44 PM
and btw i found this on wikipedia:

"The band also sold T-shirts on their website with the Napster logo on it and donated money to Napster creator Shawn Fanning with the profits."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Offspring

ZagmenO
01-20-2007, 04:49 PM
So ?

So the skulls look A LOT like The Offspring's "Logo".

Oh. I didn't see that. When I first clicked the link nothing came up, but then I clicked it again and I noticed it. Yea I would kill for shoes with the spring logo on them.