PDA

View Full Version : Original Prankster (Word Meanings)

Camilamazed
12-28-2006, 04:15 PM
Well well.. I thought Killboy powerhead was hard. But I found a harder one. I'll ask my questions in parts because it's really difficult to translate this song into Portuguese.

*Until the break of dawn
Life life
Cannot go by the letter
Time time
Prozac can make it better
Noise noise
Any kind will do
Can you feel it slip away
When it‘s all on you.....*

1) Does life mean "having fun"?
2) Is go "by the letter" an expression?
3) What is another word for time here?
4) Noise?
5) "Any kind will do" is referring to the Prozac, right?
6) What slips away?
7) What is on the person?

Venom Symbiote
12-28-2006, 04:24 PM
Oh, come on. "Original Prankster" is one of the most fucking self-explanatory songs they've ever written.

Watch the videoclip. Meaning = served up on a plate for you.

Camilamazed
12-28-2006, 04:37 PM
Venom, has anyone said "fuck you" for you today?

Get a fucking life.

wheelchairman
12-28-2006, 04:42 PM
No, but seriously camilamazed this comes off rather dumb. You are forgiven since English is your first language, and Venom Symbiote is a raging idiot.

I'll answer your questions.

1. Life does not mean having fun here, it is the first word to the next line, "life cannot go by the letter."
2. By the Letter means "according to plan", or perfectly. you follow?
3. In this case it seems clear that Prozac in the next line and time are supposed to be substitutes. "Time can make it better" "Prozac can make it better".
4. Any kind of noise will do is what he means.
5. So yeah, any kind will do is referring to noise.
6. I'm guessing control. But I can't say I know.
7. Responsibilities, attention.

I hope this helps. You teach kindergarten right?

Little_Miss_1565
12-28-2006, 04:43 PM
No, but seriously camilamazed this comes off rather dumb. You are forgiven since English is your first language, and Venom Symbiote is a raging idiot.

Per, I know you don't come here often, but Camila's threads are because she is translating the lyrics into Portuguese, not because she just doesn't get them. There are finer points with what refers to what gramatically, etc.

Venom, for fuck's sake, shut your fucking hole.

wheelchairman
12-28-2006, 04:46 PM
Ah my bad. Not good with synonyms myself.

Little_Miss_1565
12-28-2006, 04:51 PM
Ah my bad. Not good with synonyms myself.

No worries. And thanks for laying out the song so well and accurately.

Camilamazed
12-28-2006, 04:58 PM
Per, I'm not ashamed to say I don't know A-L-L English words.. I don't even master my own language. And I'm sure NO ONE masters their onw language, I mean, none of us know all of 100 millions of words of our vocabulary. So, if you are able to know ALL the words in your on language and in English, then you'd go on helping me out instead of being sarcastic.

* Just for the record. I ask these questions because most of them don't exist in Portuguese. Phrasal verbs specially.
* And there's the cultural thing as well. I'm sure you know about it.

Thank you anyway for helping me.

Llamas
12-28-2006, 04:59 PM
Oh, come on. "Original Prankster" is one of the most fucking self-explanatory songs they've ever written.

Watch the videoclip. Meaning = served up on a plate for you.

The theme of the song is straight forward. The parts she asked about are not. Especially "can you feel IT slip away when IT's all on you". It's quite vague. Seriously, stfu.

Camilamazed
12-28-2006, 05:06 PM
DM, thank you. Now the second part

"Crime crime
Rockin‘ like Janet Reno
Time time
Eighteen and life in Chino
Freud Freud
All along it‘s true
Well you‘ll see there comes a day
Catches up to you"

1) I found out who Janet Reno is, however for me it doesn't make any sense because I don't know much about her. What is it about her?
2) What does "18 and life" mean to you? The age you guys become legally responsible for your acts?
3) Chino=Jail, So Does teh sentence mean that the main character had been arrested?
4) What is it about Freud in the song?

wheelchairman
12-28-2006, 05:43 PM
Well thank you cammie for your very sarcastic response. (I wasn't trying to insult you. As I explained before I didn't know you were translating.) Still I will stick with my original response that these questions may make you look stupid. That is simply true. Shouldn't be offended since you are not simply asking for the sake of asking.

1. It's because Janet Reno doesn't rock. And because I believe her department was the justice department. Hence the crime line.
2. The age you become eligible to be sentenced to life imprisonment.
3. Life in jail.
4. Freud all along was right, is what the Offspring are trying to say.

About what I don't know. Not a big Freudian myself.

wheelchairman
12-28-2006, 05:45 PM
Per, I'm not ashamed to say I don't know A-L-L English words.. I don't even master my own language. And I'm sure NO ONE masters their onw language, I mean, none of us know all of 100 millions of words of our vocabulary. So, if you are able to know ALL the words in your on language and in English, then you'd go on helping me out instead of being sarcastic.

* Just for the record. I ask these questions because most of them don't exist in Portuguese. Phrasal verbs specially.
* And there's the cultural thing as well. I'm sure you know about it.

Thank you anyway for helping me.
No but seriously, if you know that Chino is a jail. Then you should logically assume that life in Chino means life in jail....
It's not a matter of the language per se, these are simple words. It's a matter of interpretation of the song. The creativity involved in understanding what isn't plain. I personally suck at interpretations and I'm sure there are people out there capable of explaining the double meaning or hidden meaning of the song.

Camilamazed
12-28-2006, 06:21 PM
I'm sorry Per. I didn't want to be rude or something. It's just that I always wait sarcastic answers from you. Why may the questions look me dumb if this isn't my mother tongue?? It would be dumb if I came here and pretended I speak English better than the native speakers. I assume I need help with words and expressions.

I get offended because people ramdomly come here to simply say that I'm an idiot when they should use their response positively by simply answering my questions. That won't hurt them.

About 18 and life, I asked if there is a meaning because I think it has a slight difference in meaning from Skid Row's 18 and life. That's why I asked. I also thought OP had something to do with that song.

Thank you once more.

wheelchairman
12-28-2006, 06:25 PM
That's why I also added, it's not your first language so you are forgiven. Like adding my first and second reaction.

I'm not saying you should know 18 and life. But you shouldn't assume that 18 and Life has to do with skid row. (the term skid row also originally refers to prisons.)

Camilamazed
12-28-2006, 07:17 PM
"Knock down the walls, it‘s alive in you
Knock down the place, you‘re alone it‘s true
Knock down the world, it‘s alive in you"

1) The person is in jail here, right?
2) what is alive in the person? The feeling of doing wrong things or that he wants to get away?

"You gotta keep your head up through it all"

Foes this mean that he has to look on the bright side of the situation?

"You‘re gonna
Bust out on it – original prankster
Break out yeah – original yeah
Bust out on it – original prankster
You never stop now, stop now
That‘s what the main man say"

Burst out on it: Do something wrong?

Camilamazed
12-28-2006, 07:24 PM
Burst out on it = blow the whole thing up?

*I'm going to have a problem to find a word in Portuguese to explain prankster. We haven't got something like that in our language to exactly define it.

Little_Miss_1565
12-28-2006, 09:17 PM
DM, thank you. Now the second part

"Crime crime
Rockin‘ like Janet Reno
Time time
Eighteen and life in Chino
Freud Freud
All along it‘s true
Well you‘ll see there comes a day
Catches up to you"

1) I found out who Janet Reno is, however for me it doesn't make any sense because I don't know much about her. What is it about her?
2) What does "18 and life" mean to you? The age you guys become legally responsible for your acts?
3) Chino=Jail, So Does teh sentence mean that the main character had been arrested?
4) What is it about Freud in the song?

1--I always took it as a reference to a Saturday Night Live sketch called "Janet Reno Dance Party." It's an unlikely thing for Janet Reno to do because she is such a dowdy, sexless old thing.

2--It's "18 to life," which is a standard prison sentence, measured in years. Per, Camila was refering to Skid Row the band, not skid row the place. Now who needs help translating? :P

3--I really don't think this song has a linear plot, which means that it doesn't necessarily mean the main character was arrested, just someone.

4--No fucking clue why Dexter would reference Freud here.

Ninty Man
12-28-2006, 09:25 PM
Errr... chino it's chinese in spanish... and the line

Eighteen and life in chino, I believe... at least in mexican meaning of chino, it's that it's a hard situation

Little_Miss_1565
12-28-2006, 09:27 PM
Errr... chino it's chinese in spanish... and the line

Eighteen and life in chino, I believe... at least in mexican meaning of chino, it's that it's a hard situation

No, Chino is a California jail in this instance, please read the posts before you.

Ninty Man
12-28-2006, 09:31 PM
No, Chino is a California jail in this instance, please read the posts before you.

Yes I read them, and I didn't found a logical explanation... oh whatever

Venom Symbiote
12-28-2006, 11:52 PM
Woah, page one of this thread rawkz.

I love you all too! *huggles*

Camilamazed
12-29-2006, 08:57 PM
"You know it smells like shit
Goddamn
Tag team the double header
Son of Sam
Fire always makes it better
Navigate
With style and aplomb
Cause wherever you‘re at
That‘s the tip you‘s on"

1) Don't get well what tag team has to do with double header.
2) Who's Sam?
3) "you's" = "you" is when it had to be "are"?

"Dime dime
So good to see ya
Nine nine
Don‘t want to be ya
Crime crime
Fine sensimilla"

1) Dime (From dictionary.com)
Slang.
a. ten dollars.
b. a 10-year prison sentence.
Which one?

2) Nine: simply a number or referring to a handgun (9mm)?

SplinterByMyOwnDesign
12-29-2006, 09:05 PM
Oh for fucks sake Cam...

Go read your other threads, i actually helped you figure out who Sam was.

http://www.offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27123

Read my first post... and the next 2 or 3

Camilamazed
12-29-2006, 09:14 PM
Oh for fucks sake Cam...

Go read your other threads, i actually helped you figure out who Sam was.

http://www.offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27123

Read my first post... and the next 2 or 3

Thank you. I didn't remember about that.;)

Mind answering the remaining questions?

psycolili
12-29-2006, 11:27 PM
well im never gonna here original prankster the same way ever again.

ive never seen it this way.

Venom Symbiote
12-29-2006, 11:38 PM
That's because you're ignorant and unobservant.

psycolili
12-29-2006, 11:42 PM
That's because you're ignorant and unobservant.

no i just havent killed the songs meaning to the point where im sick of the song. everyone kinda just skidded away and probably found deeper meanings that werent there to begin with. look too hard and you wont see its real meaning.

Camilamazed
12-30-2006, 05:15 AM
no i just havent killed the songs meaning to the point where im sick of the song. everyone kinda just skidded away and probably found deeper meanings that werent there to begin with. look too hard and you wont see its real meaning.

You're kind of misunderstading the topic. No one here is trying to kill the song with deeper meanings, I'm trying to translate the song.

Little_Miss_1565
12-30-2006, 06:08 AM
"You know it smells like shit
Goddamn
Tag team the double header
Son of Sam
Fire always makes it better
Navigate
With style and aplomb
Cause wherever you‘re at
That‘s the tip you‘s on"

1) Don't get well what tag team has to do with double header.
2) Who's Sam?
3) "you's" = "you" is when it had to be "are"?

1) They don't really have anything to do with eachother. A tag team is two or more people on the same side tagging eachother in and out of a fight so no one person has to do all the work. A double header is a baseball term where two teams play two games against eachother in one day.
2) See previous post
3) "You's" is hip hop/New York slang for "you're," or "you are."

"Dime dime
So good to see ya
Nine nine
Don‘t want to be ya
Crime crime
Fine sensimilla"

1) Dime (From dictionary.com)
Slang.
a. ten dollars.
b. a 10-year prison sentence.
Which one?

2) Nine: simply a number or referring to a handgun (9mm)?

1) Dime is also slang for a $10 bag of pot. No idea if that's correct in this instance.
2. I thought it was "nein," as in German for "no." Again, could be wrong.

Camilamazed
12-30-2006, 04:30 PM
Thanks. =D