PDA

View Full Version : Matt Schild

Buller
12-29-2006, 05:49 AM
Has anyone read the review and interview by Matt Schild.. What an asshole..

Peedr
12-29-2006, 05:52 AM
Give us a link....

Buller
12-29-2006, 05:56 AM
http://www.aversion.com/bands/reviews.cfm?f_id=2139

Dexter_H
12-29-2006, 06:44 AM
Everything he said was true. If you can't get past that, you need to grow up.

Grabbal
12-29-2006, 06:49 AM
Who cares about a review?!?!

Buller
12-29-2006, 06:51 AM
Well I think he is an idiot.. besides i'm 28, so dont tell me to grow up..

darea
12-29-2006, 07:06 AM
I think he is an asshole too

Marco
12-29-2006, 11:49 AM
The content is true, but Matt still remains an asshole. An album cannot prove what a band wants to be remembered for. Pure BULLSHIT. All the songs on their GH Album are their greatest hits. Punk-pop, catchy and everything, but that's just the way it is. Even if their greatest hits are those, it doesn't mean that The Offspring want to be remembered in some way or another. It's a greatest hits album, full-stop. Not a "we want to be remembered for these songs" cd.

DeAtHsTaR
12-29-2006, 12:26 PM
Actually, most of the songs on GH aren't pop-punk at all. They're pop-rock. But I do think the reviewer is fucking retarded for saying this:

Even the band’s more straightforward tracks benefit as much from carefully selected gimmicks than pure songwriting. “Self Esteem” bubbles on an elastic bass line, “Gone Away” takes singer Dexter Holland’s tuneless screech into over-emoted whoa-whoa territory

So a cool bass line and emotive singing are gimmicks now?

Marco
12-29-2006, 12:29 PM
Actually, most of the songs on GH aren't pop-punk at all. They're pop-rock. But I do think the reviewer is fucking retarded for saying this:

So a cool bass line and emotive singing are gimmicks now?
Yeah, also.

Stranger With Candy
12-29-2006, 12:31 PM
offspring are SELL OUTS:mad: :mad: :mad:

what an idiot.

Venom Symbiote
12-29-2006, 09:42 PM
To everyone who said the guy is right, here's a cookie.

It's just the fact he uses such strong subjective terms that makes him an asshole. I can somewhat relate to his predicament. :p

The actual content of his piece is accurate, truthful, and pretty-much indisputable.

Anyone who disagrees is a rabid fanboy whose opinion on the matter isn't worth hearing.

SplinterByMyOwnDesign
12-29-2006, 09:49 PM
Does Matt Schild even listen to this type of music?

And i don't give a fuck what he says... That's simply one persons opinion.

Thomas
12-29-2006, 09:53 PM
What he said was true, but expressed in a very negative light. He hates The Offspring because they eveolved and expanded their musical horizons, something that is detrimental towards one's image as a "punk," but very positive towards one's image as a musician. He is very close minded in his statements because he considers everything that isn't "tru punx" to be bad music. I could take everything he said and point out the positive aspects of his claims from a musical point of view, instead of his fat-headed close-minded tru punx view.

Actually, the only thing I disagree with was quoted by Dain already, so I won't go into that.

pretty_fly_white_guy858
12-30-2006, 12:29 AM
I dont see why they have a "flair for tweaking the nose of authority figures". When they only wrote two songs about authority figures..unless im forgetting some. But why do you guys care what one person thinks. I know plenty of people who dont like Offspring. The only thing that matters is your own opinion. But it was pretty stupid to cut down Gone Away.

Venom Symbiote
12-30-2006, 12:32 AM
Yeah, no doubt. I'm not disputing that he's putting it forth in a negative, scathing light, of course he is. And that's unnecessary.

He's choosing to see their changes less so as evolution, moreso as degenerating into predictable alt-rock. Something I disagree with (Ignition aside, I'm much more of a fan of their post-Columbia work).

However, if you take out the verbal coloring of the issue, the core of what the guy is saying is 100% correct, and these people calling him out for being an asshole ignorant of the band are wrong. The guy is right, in a general sense, he just has a strong stance on which angle he's taking with it.

Venezuelan_Nightmare
12-30-2006, 07:57 PM
is this true?

Jakebert
12-30-2006, 09:02 PM
One thing I want to give him props for is his opinion on "Gone Away".

I know it's not a hugely popular opinion here, but I'd say that "Gone Away" is without a doubt the band's most overrated song. That song, if put on any album other than an Offspring album, would have most of the fanboys here foaming at the mouth because it's "emo". But, because the Offspring did it, they ignore the incredibly cheesy lyrics and cliched riff and intro.

But, back to the review, I agree for the most part, actually. The Offspring's singles have always been the weakest songs on their given albums, with a few exceptions. If you're judging them just based strictly on their singles, like that review did, then his opinion is certainly understandable.

Venom Symbiote
12-30-2006, 09:42 PM
Erm, where's the emo in "Gone Away"?

"Gone Away" is depressing in a valid honest way, on a worthy topic. The lyrics are a little different to your typical whiney teen cutter who is pissing and moaning about his girlfriend dumping him for a jock. As straightforward and simple as they are, the lyrics are worthy.

And it pre-dates what we now classify emo by about four years.

Bad comparison, champ.

Llamas
12-30-2006, 09:46 PM
Erm, where's the emo in "Gone Away"?

"Gone Away" is depressing in a valid honest way, on a worthy topic. The lyrics are a little different to your typical whiney teen cutter who is pissing and moaning about his girlfriend dumping him for a jock. As straightforward and simple as they are, the lyrics are worthy.

And it pre-dates what we now classify emo by about four years.

Bad comparison, champ.

and it FEEEEEEELLLLSSS!!!

SplinterByMyOwnDesign
12-30-2006, 10:57 PM
Venom is right on that last point.

But i still think Matt Schild's opinion is about as valid as any of ours here.

Little_Miss_1565
12-30-2006, 10:58 PM
and it FEEEEEEELLLLSSS!!!

NO MOAR HOPE 4 BETTR DAYS.

Llamas
12-30-2006, 10:59 PM
This guy is right about his points, but was a dick about how he said things. Not a new opinion on it... but I thought it should be said again. I do disagree with self esteem or come out and play being gimmicky... I don't think they were gimmicky until Pretty Fly.

Little_Miss_1565
12-30-2006, 11:10 PM
I don't think they were gimmicky until Pretty Fly.

I would be in general agreement with this statement.

Lodat225
12-30-2006, 11:25 PM

I agree with this guy.

Venom Symbiote
12-31-2006, 12:13 AM
I'd agree with you about "Self Esteem", but "Come Out And Play" is gimmicky. "Gimmicky" was essential to its success. It's hook after hook after motherfucking hook.

I love the song, but it's pretty much three or four little catchy sequences arranged into an addictive gimmicky little ditty.

Llamas
12-31-2006, 12:52 AM
It's no more gimmicky than any other song that has succeed on mainstream radio over the past two decades.

Venom Symbiote
12-31-2006, 12:57 AM
Nyaa. Wrong.

Dexter_H
12-31-2006, 01:14 AM
I wouldn't call COAP real gimmicky. It was their most 'gimmicky' work to date, but compared to what they write nowadays it has nothing. I think Pretty fly is just a pop version of COAP. They have essentially the same chord progression, only pretty fly has more pop crap in it; like the girls etc.

Songs like pretty fly, she's got issues, get a job, original prankster, hit that were all created for one purpose: to get the band money. Greg has said in interviews that he doesn't know how long they'll go on if the next album doesn't sell well (that was prior to splinter), illuminating the fact that he isn't in it for the music at all, just the cash. Judging by the works they've put out, I wouldn't be surprised if the rest of the band was in exactly the same position.

Venom Symbiote
12-31-2006, 02:08 AM
I think you're being a little too blunt with this, saying Greg's only in it for the money. We know he doesn't like touring as much as the rest of the guys, and he has his golf thing going on, but this band aren't exactly starving for a paycheck. It's not like he really needs the income, with his millions and his investment knowledge.

I don't think you can say all of those songs were written with the sole purpose of making money. "Come Out And Play" aside, maybe. That was obviously an attempt at expanding themselves to a more accessible area.

And "Original Prankster" seemed to be a complete 'let's repeat the success of the "Pretty Fly" formula, just in case the rest of the album isn't received well we have something to fall back on for the sales'.

The others though, I honestly think were written because they were the types of songs Dexter felt like writing at the time. Excluding these two examples, of course. I don't think Dexter even wrote "Pretty Fly" with 'giant international hit' type success in mind.

Jakebert
12-31-2006, 10:10 AM
I don't think that was his main focus, but it certainly had to at least be in he back of his mind as he was working on it.

Back to "Gone Away", though, those are some of the cheesiest, dumbest lyrics they've ever done, and rank up there with Simple Plan and Fall Out Boy. "And it FEEEEEEELS, yeah it FEEEEEEELS like heaven is so far away." It reminds me of any emo song dealing with death.

Thomas
12-31-2006, 10:17 AM
I don't think that was his main focus, but it certainly had to at least be in he back of his mind as he was working on it.

Back to "Gone Away", though, those are some of the cheesiest, dumbest lyrics they've ever done, and rank up there with Simple Plan and Fall Out Boy. "And it FEEEEEEELS, yeah it FEEEEEEELS like heaven is so far away." It reminds me of any emo song dealing with death.

Gone Away's lyrics are far from their best, but that song is not about it's lyrics. I always saw Gone Away as one of their best songs because in it's simplicity, they created something powerful. Throughout the whole song, the bass drum rhythm repeats every bar, with the exception of those bars where he does a snare roll. It's an extremely easy song to play on all instruments, but in it's simplicity comes out one of their most powerful songs. Dexter's vocals are also amazing in that song. Whether you like how they are high-pitched or not, you have to admit that it takes one helluva vocalist to pull that off.

Little_Miss_1565
12-31-2006, 11:29 AM
Oh, everyone, hush. Hooky and accessible does not equal "gimmicky." And for fuck's sake, once you've had a taste of that multi-platinum status, who wouldn't want to keep it going and call it quits if they're failing in that attempt? There's a difference between a profession and a hobby.

mrconeman
12-31-2006, 11:53 AM
I'd agree with you about "Self Esteem", but "Come Out And Play" is gimmicky. "Gimmicky" was essential to its success. It's hook after hook after motherfucking hook.

I love the song, but it's pretty much three or four little catchy sequences arranged into an addictive gimmicky little ditty.

This is fucking moronic. That's like saying "Yeah, every song that's in the least bit catchy or any song ever written that has a few good hooks in it, is a gimmick".
Seriously, that's just dumb, a song has hooks in it because the writer wants it to be catchy, they want people to enjoy their music, and it takes at least some talent to do, lets not undermine a decently structured and written song, with a retarded opinion plz, k?

And yeah, it's been said before, but in general the guy was right on the way they progressed, he was just being a cunt about it taking that selling out stand point. I like to think of what they did as more of a natural progression. Though as 1565 just pointed out, fucking OBVIOUSLY they wanted to write catchy songs and keep their status, they've made a career of it, it's called being a professional musician.

DefaultNinja
12-31-2006, 01:18 PM
I agree that what he says is true, although flawed due to bias. Obviously he's an "extremely hardcore punk". Sure, Offspring have had those songs to make money and keep themselves known, but in the position they are in I think it's pretty much ok.

But, when you think about it, a Greatest Hit album is actually an album FOR the Greatest Hits. The songs on here (excluding Can't Repeat and the other one/two) are infact the ones that did the best in the charts. So what do you expect?? ;)

bouncingcoles
12-31-2006, 07:18 PM

i somewhat agree with it

Short_Attention_Span
12-31-2006, 07:24 PM
But, when you think about it, a Greatest Hit album is actually an album FOR the Greatest Hits. The songs on here (excluding Can't Repeat and the other one/two) are infact the ones that did the best in the charts. So what do you expect?? ;)

Exactly. That's the point of a "Greatest Hits" album. Although, I do agree with the reviewer on some of what he said, you can't really expect anything more than the poppy, radio friendly singles on a greatest hits comp., as they were the commercially successful ones.

Although, really, who gives a crap about what he says? It's only his opinion.
________
Wendie 99 (http://www.lovelywendie99.com/)

SplinterByMyOwnDesign
01-01-2007, 08:12 AM
Oh, everyone, hush. Hooky and accessible does not equal "gimmicky." And for fuck's sake, once you've had a taste of that multi-platinum status, who wouldn't want to keep it going and call it quits if they're failing in that attempt? There's a difference between a profession and a hobby.

Very nice points given ;)

Also... may I ask what the fuck this is supposed to be? A thread to determine if Offspring are a fucking 'Gimmicky' band? Sure they have written a lot of catchy songs; so fucking get used to it because that's the Offspring.

ZagmenO
01-01-2007, 09:33 AM
It was a shitty review. There I said it. :cool:

Jizzy Jeff Punk Man
01-01-2007, 04:19 PM
Who cares. I like the Offspring. That's all.

Nemesis881
01-01-2007, 06:36 PM
You know if you think about it, The Offspring are a very smart band. Once they started to go main-stream they started putting more pop-rock songs on their albums, but they still win in all 3 places. 1. They put a couple pop-rock songs to stay main stream. 2. They trick the pop lovers that the band isn't to punk rock so they buy their albums. 3. They fill the rest of the album with heavier songs so older fans stay happy. All this added together = big money.

Let critics say what they want, The Offspring know what they are doing and fans have faith in them.

Floyd the Barber
01-01-2007, 07:59 PM
You know if you think about it, The Offspring are a very smart band. Once they started to go main-stream they started putting more pop-rock songs on their albums, but they still win in all 3 places. 1. They put a couple pop-rock songs to stay main stream. 2. They trick the pop lovers that the band isn't to punk rock so they buy their albums. 3. They fill the rest of the album with heavier songs so older fans stay happy. All this added together = big money.

Judging by Splinter's sales, I don't think they "tricked" many people last time, at least not enough to buy the album. And Splinter doesn't seem to be very well-liked by their older fans, so I don't think they really succeeded there either.

I think you're right about what they've been doing with singles and song variety, but it hasn't really made them "big money" with Conspiracy or Splinter, at least when it comes to album sales. Those 2 albums didn't do very well sales-wise, especially compared to Americana.

Jizzy Jeff Punk Man
01-03-2007, 07:49 PM
If this dude who wrote the review is "tru punx" or whatever, then he'd realize the energetic original sound The Offspring brought to the mainstream. No one sounds like The Offspring. Really, if you think about it, the more punk stuff by The Offspring is some of the best to come out of the 90's.

Jakebert
01-04-2007, 03:00 PM
A lot of bands sound like the Offspring. I mean, they're better than a lot of those bands, but those bands sound like them none the less.

DeAtHsTaR
01-04-2007, 04:38 PM
A lot of bands sound like the Offspring. I mean, they're better than a lot of those bands, but those bands sound like them none the less.
All I can think of are TSOL, Agent Orange, and Bad Religion. Occasionally Pennywise.

nameless
01-04-2007, 05:49 PM
i see the guys point about some of the more pop-punk songs but dont agree with anything he says!

noodlesfan
01-05-2007, 07:28 PM
I had to put my drink down to keep from spilling it while I laughed at that review, it was so true, it was funny.

Jizzy Jeff Punk Man
01-05-2007, 08:57 PM
All I can think of are TSOL, Agent Orange, and Bad Religion. Occasionally Pennywise.

How does Bad Religion remotely sound like them at all? Or any of those other bands for that matter?

DeAtHsTaR
01-05-2007, 09:32 PM
How does Bad Religion remotely sound like them at all? Or any of those other bands for that matter?

If you can't tell, you're deaf. All those bands influenced The Offspring except Pennywise.

Lord_Gabo
01-06-2007, 04:21 AM
bullshit! ! ! where is TKKA??? That's a conspiracy of one! hauahauahauha .
Idiot reviewer!

-Mota-Boy-
01-07-2007, 01:31 PM
What a buttf**k. Look, what he wrote: “Gone Away” takes singer Dexter Holland’s tuneless screech into over-emoted whoa-whoa territory.
No respect at all. I think that guy have something against The Offspring.

Buller
01-08-2007, 04:54 AM
I think so too..

And i think that splinter is the offsprings best work to date.