PDA

View Full Version : God, does [He] exist, and what is religion? What do you think.

adombomb222
01-02-2007, 11:28 AM
With all this talk about Protestants and Christens, Mohammed, Jesus, and Allah. I was just wondering how many people believe in God, or believe [He] exists. And your views on religion, what religious sect you belong to, ect.

I do not believe that God exist, I believe in evolution and that it is not possible for a higher monarchy to exist or on the contrary create the entire universe, earth and all that preside on it. However I believe that religion is necessary for human existents, I believe that people must believe in God/religion in order for life to move forward. With out religion people would have nothing to believe in, in time of war or hardship people would give up rather then pray and ask for forgiveness. People would lose all hope; they would have nothing to fall back on. I believe that religion, more or less the idea of God, was created in an early attempt to explain human existence. And you look though out time, you’ll see that every culture has some time of religion, a god to pray to. And though miles, oceans and mountains separate these cultures they all have their own religion and practices, but they do have a God like figure. That, to me, is because humans are weak, and we must look to the sky to explain the unexplainable, and thus religion is born, a god is born.

Sin Studly
01-02-2007, 11:59 AM
I'm undecided. Maybe there's something, maybe there isn't. I'll find out when I pass.

I do know that the worst people are the science-faggots who claim they can prove God doesn't exist with science, even though they don't have anywhere near the brains or knowledge required to back up their claims. At least the God-faggots admit that their beliefs are blind faith. You faggots claim your beliefs are scientific, even though they're not.

there is not possible for a higher monarchy to exist or on the contrary create the entire universe, earth and all that preside on it

Okay, why not? Since you're so scientific and rational, explain to me how exactly the world was created. And explain how this precludes the existance of a higher being ; especially giving attention to proving how your theory of the world's beginning precludes this higher being from have been the catalyst in creating it.

Then explain how the mass of unproved theories and guesses and suppositions you just regurgitated are any more rational than Genesis (or for that matter, the Titans of Asatru).

adombomb222
01-02-2007, 12:09 PM
I'm undecided. Maybe there's something, maybe there isn't. I'll find out when I pass.

I do know that the worst people are the science-faggots who claim they can prove God doesn't exist with science, even though they don't have anywhere near the brains or knowledge to back up their claims. At least the God-faggots admit that their beliefs are blind faith. You faggots claim your beliefs are scientific, even though they're not.

Okay, why not? Since you're so scientific and rational, explain to me how exactly the world was created. And explain how this precludes the existance of a higher being ; especially giving attention to proving how your theory of the world's beginning precludes this higher being from have being the catalyst in creating it.

Then explain how the mass of unproved theories and guesses and suppositions you just regurgitated are any more rational than Genesis (or for that matter, the Titans of Asatru).

Never once did I say I could prove what I believe, I said it was what I believe. One way or another you cannot prove whether or not God does exist, I am asking if you believe God exists.

I cannot give you evidence that science is right in proving the "works" of God false. And I cannot give you evidence that it is true.

Don't be so bleak, I am not trying to change people views here, I want to know what people believe and why they believe it.

And what makes Genesis so rational?

Blinkweasel
01-02-2007, 12:19 PM
No, I don't believe in God, but I do know that some things can't and aren't meant to be proved scientifically or otherwise. Some things are just best left alone.

I didn't vote.

Sin Studly
01-02-2007, 12:23 PM
Never once did I say I could prove what I believe, I said it was what I believe. One way or another you cannot prove whether or not God does exist, I am asking if you believe God exists.

However, you said you believe it is not possible for God to exist. Believing is one thing, believing you cannot possibly be wrong is another. It puts you on the level of the Muslims.

And what makes Genesis so rational?

Absolutely nothing whatsoever. Which puts it on about the same level as the Big Bang.

Endymion
01-02-2007, 12:27 PM
this is one of the most trite threads the board has seen since abortions. i also hate people who believe that evolution and god are mutually exclusive.

adombomb222
01-02-2007, 12:28 PM
However, you said you believe it is not possible for God to exist. Believing is one thing, believing you cannot possibly be wrong is another. It puts you on the level of the Muslims.

Absolutely nothing whatsoever. Which puts it on about the same level as the Big Bang.

I am sorry if I gave the impression that I so strongly believe what I do, as to that level. I do leave room for doubt; I know it is very possible that god does exist. And to say on the Muslim level? I am not going to kill for my cause/beliefs.

All I want form this is to better understand human nature, when it comes to God and Religion. I do not want to debate Genesis or Evolution, but only to the understanding of why one has chosen that theory.

Sin Studly
01-02-2007, 12:33 PM
And to say on the Muslim level? I am not going to kill for my cause/beliefs.

That's a very bigoted and intolerant thing to say. Not all Muslims are murderers.

Some just spam the internets.

adombomb222
01-02-2007, 12:35 PM
That's a very bigoted and intolerant thing to say. Not all Muslims are murderers.

Some just spam the internets.

Ok but the consensus says otherwise. I don't believe that they are, you just hear that most attacks are by Muslims extremist.

And yes, yes they do.

Duskygrin
01-02-2007, 12:41 PM
Some may find this of interest, adombomb, I liked your arguments, you seem mild.

Back in the glorious days of philosophy, attempts were made to prove the existence of God. Philosophers were also Christian believers, they were for the greater part theists.

Anselm of Canterbury, & later more famously perhaps René Descartes (was a drunken fart, cf Python) devised the ontological prood: if we can conceive the idea of God, then God must exist (they didn't embarrass themselves much back then).

I exist
I have an idea of a supremely perfect being, i.e. a being having all perfections.
As an imperfect being I would be unable to create such a concept.
The concept must have come from God.
To be a perfect being God must exist.
God exists.

This is but one of the formulations, there are many. Descartes meditated a lot, & so in his prolixity he devised many formulations.

Other "proofs" of the existence of God were the mathematical ones, as in Pascal's Pensées.

Pascal argued that it is a better "bet" to believe that God exists, because the expected value of believing that God exists is always greater than the expected value resulting from non-belief. Indeed, he claimed that the expected value is infinite. With this, he sought to convert those, to Christianity, who were uninterested in religion and unimpressed by previous theological arguments for it.

Variations of this argument may be found in other religious philosophies, such as Islam, Hinduism, and even Buddhism. Pascal's Wager is also similar in structure to the precautionary principle.

I bolded the part I found particularly intriguing.

The other two arguments are the cosmological & the teleological (cosmos = world, telos = end, as in "finality", meaning "purpose", or as in "termination")

The cosmological draws on the so-called "first cause", the cause that caused all causes, so to speak. Or more simply, that gave birth to the universe.

Every finite and contingent being has a cause.
Nothing finite and dependent (contingent) can cause itself.
A causal chain cannot be of infinite length.
Therefore, there must be a first cause; or, there must be something which is not an effect.

This cosmological argument gained some ground with the Big Bang theory...

Finally, I'll give a briefing on the teleological argument:

X is too (complex, orderly, adaptive, apparently purposeful, and/or beautiful) to have occurred randomly or accidentally.
Therefore, X must have been created by a (sentient, intelligent, wise, and/or purposeful) being.
God is that (sentient, intelligent, wise, and/or purposeful) being.
Therefore, God exists.

Because, it would seem that nature wasn't created for nought; it seems as though it had a purpose... Sartre would disagree, but you're free to disagree with Sartre, too...

Well, you can get more insight into the numerous philosophical arguments for the existence of God. Those three + Pascal's gambit I learnt in philo class, but there are lots more to be looked into, given the vastness of the field...

I find much interest in all this, & yet... none is conclusive. No argument really proves anything. Nothing may prove or disprove the existence of God. But we can enlighten ourselves & delved into others' works... I once read somewhere -I think Anatole France said it- that the greatest minds were always besieged by doubt, & found it always very difficult to conclude one way or the other... well, there may be a cause for that. To paraphrase Einstein, the difference between what the most knowledgeable person knows, & what the least knowledgeable person knows, is infinitesimal with regard to the unknown in the universe.

Sin Studly
01-02-2007, 12:43 PM
1800 years of fail and it's little wonder why I'm happy to wait for death to find these things out.

adombomb222
01-02-2007, 12:55 PM
Duskygrin, everything you said was very much appreciated, I thank you. Iíll have to look into those philosophers. I have wanted to get into a philosophy class at my school, but I have to be in 11th or 12th grade to take it. When I go to college I want to minor in writing and philosophy.

H1T_That
01-02-2007, 01:16 PM
When it comes to my beliefs, i do not believe there is a God. I have no solid evidence to back up or disprove this statement, its just the general feeling i get from life.

On the subject of religion, i believe it has its good and bad points.

Good points
It gives people hope when they need it
It helps people to live thier lives
It helps form a sense of community and brotherhood

Bad points
A high percentage of war and violence are influenced by religion.
I think religion is holding the evolution of humanity back. Take Jesus for example, the way i see it, he was merely a man ahead of his time, a genetic mutation giving him power and knowledge far more evolved than the world he was living in. What does religion do with this? Have him killed.

Duskygrin
01-02-2007, 01:19 PM
You're welcome, Satan dearest. I nearly checked myself before writing all that, I didn't expect positive reactions. But it's true, if it elicits your interest then yes, I sincerely encourage you to take up philosophy. You'll find it very vast. The best way to tackle it is to first get an insight, then read their works (Descartes's, Pascal's, Kant's, ...). But it's heavy work. You'll get stooped shoulders from it. And as for material gratification... no, just think of improving your mind. I think I was always a little in love with my philosophy teachers. It's hard to tell why. Maybe they seemed... a bit out of this world. Lost in thought. Both my philo professors had lost their wives earlier on. It made them even more despondent.
As you said, better to minor into it. You've got all your life before you... not that that means much, but still.

As for religion, which was the original purpose of your thread... I'll own I'm lost. I'm christened Christian Orthodox, but I don't practice, & I don't know if I believe anymore. Faith is beautiful. There's always some beauty in irrationality. Though faith may not be so irrational, mysticism is, but not faith itself... oh, I wouldn't know...

One thing I used to ask myself when I was a little girl was: "if there is a God, a Supreme Being up above, how can He tolerate poverty, destruction & wanton violence? If He is perfect, & he cannot be but perfect, the sight of imperfectability should infuriate him..."

How anthropomorphological & stupid of me would you say... but I wasn't so wide-off-the-mark, after all. This is dealt with in the Bible, with the original sin & Cain's seed, afterwards.

One fault in the Christian religion is this anthropomorphism... even if it is not overtly confessed. "God created man in his image". Hmm. Well. We're not far from paganism & the Greeks' pantheon, are we? In the Greek pantheon, man creates the gods with faults, so that gods may resemble men...

Later on I delved a little in the Greeks relation to the Bible (the first version being in Greek, the Septants' version, & how the Greek philosophers' views foud their way in the New Testament...). It baffled me & I also encourage you to look into it, perhaps not now, of course not now, but some day, think about it & take a look...

Finally, I'll say that, as you remarked yourself, Satan, or adombomb (which do you prefer?) all men, at all times, had a religion to turn to. This is why I don't hold much stock by Christianity, anymore than I do by Islam. As far as truth is concerned, neither is closer to it. BUT... there's another thing, & that's spirituality. And I certainly feel closer to the Christian spirit than I do to the Muslim one. Through Christ's suffering, through Judas Iscariot's hanging, thru Pilate's discussion with Christ, thru the apostles, thru all that is written in the New Testament, which I cannot help but deeply, soulfully agree with. I do not know why. But there is some truth in it. That, I am sure about.

And do call me Maria.

endlesst0m
01-02-2007, 01:34 PM
For what reasons would a sepreme being create a universe and what we know as existence?

I once asked my grandmom, a devout Catholic, this same question and when she didn't have the answer, she went to a priest for guidance. The preist's answer was that God created existence, to "know his love for us". That answer never really satisfied me, and still doesn't make much sense in my mind. I'm pretty sure that what it means is that God created man so he could feel the love of people that believe in him and worhship him through the power of faith.

Here's my problem with that. That preist is claiming that God "wanted" to "know his love for us". The word "want" indicates a desire. To desire something, well, quite obviously that is a feeling. And feelings don't just exist on thier own, they are also creations, just like a tree, or telephone, or anything else.

Why would God create a feeling just so he would have to fulfill it?

Llamas
01-02-2007, 01:35 PM
this is one of the most trite threads the board has seen since abortions. i also hate people who believe that evolution and god are mutually exclusive.

This is the only post in this thread worth anyone's time. And I agree with it.

Duskygrin
01-02-2007, 01:37 PM
endlesstom: There's no answer to your question, I fear. But... is all this world to come to nothing? Men fight, win, lose, gamble their lives & their sanities for what? Nothing? I cannot stomach that. Spirituality must have a purpose.

adombomb222
01-02-2007, 01:49 PM
What I call myself… I haven’t really though about it. The reason I came up with the name adombomb was this: Adam is the giver of life through God. And atom is the make up of all life. Combined it makes the word, among other words, Adom. And bomb, a bomb is the destroyer of life. Therefore you get adombomb. I chose Satan, first because I believe that humans relate more to a Devil. At least in my life, while growing up I’ve come to this: No one is perfect, most are out for themselves, if we were angles death would never be healed in a bullet or sword. And therefore, with the understanding that the God I prayed to was perfect, I resemble Satan, as does the entire human race. And second PilZ-E has God, and there is not a God with out Devil. But that was not a big factor in to putting Satan. But if you’d like call me Zach. I’ve gotten use to Adom and Adombomb, so it doesn’t phase me either way.

I am also a Christen, I believe Catholic. I listen intently while people read the readings from the bible. I always tried to find out why it relates to me, and what lesson and morals it’s scripted. Finally, I grew out of going to church all together, and to this day I find myself reading out of the bible, usually the New Testament. Revelation has currently captured my attention. I am trying to write a book/novel. And I have found no mater what I do, when I write on my own, and idea I bring up religion. What I was writing for a while, took both aspects a believer and non-believer. I don’t know what it is, but I noticed that everything I wrote has religious aspects; therefore, I want to write something that pulls that all together.

Mota Boy
01-02-2007, 01:54 PM
I don't believe in any one deity enough to go to Heaven/Valhalla/cow, according to all the books on the subject, but I'm not going to sit here and tell you that they definitively don't exist.

Llamas
01-02-2007, 02:05 PM
I believe in a God. I believe in the bible as a book for life, but that it's nothing but a crapton of metaphors no modern human can understand. Evolution is real, and I also happen to believe that human evolution is very, very likely as we know it. I believe that the "Creation" story in the bible is "god"'s way of explaining evolution.

I am agnostic.

F@ BANKZ
01-02-2007, 02:16 PM
all these long quotes, and to think, we can never know.

That is until we die, perhaps, or if god comes to earth and performs miracles live on tv like David Blane

killer_queen
01-02-2007, 02:45 PM
I believe in God but I'm not sure if I believe what Q'uran says. And I believe I'm too young to have real beliefs and talk about God's existence.

I also believe it's useless to talk about God. Conversations like "omg he exists!" "no he does not!" are kinda childish.

Llamas
01-02-2007, 02:58 PM
WTF gulsah you are WRONNNG.

Khaz Fox
01-02-2007, 03:01 PM
I have to much to deal with in life to worry about the security blanket you all call religion.

Vera
01-02-2007, 03:04 PM
I also believe it's useless to talk about God. Conversations like "omg he exists!" "no he does not!" are kinda childish.

Yeah. It's a question of belief, after all. Theological philosophies to do with God's existence are interesting but in the end outdated. What difference does it make? The way I see it, if you believe, he/she/it exists, and if you don't, well, why would you care?

Llamas
01-02-2007, 03:06 PM
I have to much to deal with in life to worry about the security blanket you all call religion.

Trupunx anarky! Doesn't even make sense, though. If religion is a security blanket, then it's not something you "worry about", it's something that comforts all that stuff you have to deal with in life. Learn to make sense.

Acoustic1804
01-02-2007, 03:07 PM
It is a very interesting topic. What we should all know is that The New Testament is more than likely to be fake. It was written 800 years later after the supposed events that took place, based on word of mouth, through several different languages. Ever played chinese whispers? Not that this is fact, this is just what I've heard from several different opinions of people, and if it IS true, well then I'd have to agree with it. I may be wrong though. Someone say something if I am.

But I don't think it is possible for there to be a God personally. I respect people having their faiths and so on but I can't see the possibility in there being a God, and we can never understand what happens when we die until it happens (that is if anything happens at all).

And there is no such thing as ghosts. Don't even try to prove it. It's a stupid myth that shouldn't be taken seriously. Everyone who tries to prove it or claim they have had encounters are lunatics.

JohnnyNemesis
01-02-2007, 03:10 PM
I am agnostic.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i146/effinyankee/JustTRUPUNX-1.jpg

As for my beliefs...well, I know this will offend virtually everyone, but fuck you if you're too stupid to understand what I have to say..

So...

All organazied religions, especially the catholic church (but with a handful of lesser known examples) are fucked up, stillborn ideas. They are nothing more than an attempt to practice the ultimate control on you by mediating your relation ship with God. Interpreting his message as they see fit. That is complete and utter BULLSHIT, and has fraud written ALL OVER IT! God doesn't need churches and priests and ceremonies and holy water. He's got a direct line to you, and if he ever wants to / needs to, he'll call you, he doesn't need some schmuck messenger who talks to you instead of him.
If you feel like, this isn't true about the church you're a part of, then a) you're in one of the "handfull" of churches, or b) you're in denial.. both of which I'm fine with. Please don't bother writing and telling me all about how I'm wrong, because at your church bla bla bla.
Thanks...

Sin Studly
01-02-2007, 03:14 PM
And there is no such thing as ghosts. Don't even try to prove it. It's a stupid myth that shouldn't be taken seriously. Everyone who tries to prove it or claim they have had encounters are lunatics.

Ever been to a death row, maximum security cellblock, or concentration camp after they've closed down? If not, you have no idea what you're talking about.

And on that note, I'd really love to check out the vibes in the basements of Cachtice, or the living quarters of the Sunterkommando in Auschwitz. That'd be some creepy fucking shit.

PS ; Ricky wins.

Acoustic1804
01-02-2007, 03:17 PM
Ever been to a death row, maximum security cellblock, or concentration camp after they've closed down? If not, you have no idea what you're talking about.

And on that note, I'd really love to check out the vibes in the basements of Cachtice, or the living quarters of the Sunterkommando in Auschwitz. That'd be some creepy fucking shit.

PS ; Ricky wins.

No, i probably don't know what I'm talking about :p . I've just been on a few of those ghost tours in those famous jails....One in Hobart and Saint Helena..I think the one in Melbourne too, but I can't remember. I'd probably be shit scared in a real place like what you're talking about though.

Revolver-2005?
01-02-2007, 03:27 PM
I believe in God but I believe he's a hands off kind of guy.

Sin Studly
01-02-2007, 03:28 PM
Wait for the tour to move on, and linger behind in the solitary confinement wing or the death row. Then ask yourself if you believe there's a malevolent force left over there. The solitary confinement cellblock of Fremantle Gaol is probably the worst place I've ever been in, when it comes to horrible freaky atmosphere.

Acoustic1804
01-02-2007, 03:31 PM
Wait for the tour to move on, and linger behind in the solitary confinement wing or the death row. Then ask yourself if you believe there's a malevolent force left over there. The solitary confinement cellblock of Fremantle Gaol is probably the worst place I've ever been in, when it comes to horrible freaky atmosphere.

Do you think anyone would feel that atmosphere if they were there by themselves without knowing anything at all about the history?

I'm not questioning you, I'm just interested.

Sin Studly
01-02-2007, 03:34 PM
Yes. I expected to feel it in the gallows the strongest, and there was nothing there. I guess it's because people just die at the gallows, they don't wallow in self-hate and self-pity.

Also, just outside Freo Gaol across the square from where all the Greek calimari resteraunts and shit are, there's this little museum in a ruined barracks that leads to the beach. The museum is pretty much nothing special, just some information on how it used to be a lighthouse for whalers or something, and later a barracks for the city guard. Underneath is a tunnel leading straight to the beach. Nothing at all ominous about it. I think people who talk about 'negative energy' and 'auras' are faggots, so all I'll say is when you walk along it you sweat cold, your asshole clenches, your nuts retract into your body, and you want more than anything to just be anyplace fucking else.

I found out later it used to be an underground cellblock where the city guard would starve incorrigables to death 'accidently'.

Acoustic1804
01-02-2007, 03:37 PM
Yes. I expected to feel it in the gallows the strongest, and there was nothing there. I guess it's because people just die at the gallows, they don't wallow in self-hate and self-pity.

Also, just outside Freo Gaol across the square from where all the Greek calimari resteraunts and shit are, there's this little museum in a ruined barracks that leads to the beach. The museum is pretty much nothing special, just some information on how it used to be a lighthouse for whalers or something, and later a barracks for the city guard. Underneath is a tunnel leading straight to the beach. Nothing at all ominous about it. I think people who talk about 'negative energy' and 'auras' are faggots, so all I'll say is when you walk along it you sweat cold, your asshole clenches, your nuts retract into your body, and you want more than anything to just be anyplace fucking else.

I found out later it used to be an underground cellblock where the city guard would starve incorrigables to death 'accidently'.

Wow, thay is extremely interesting. Really. I'll have to try it sometime.

adombomb222
01-02-2007, 03:53 PM
Very interesting, and it is, but off topic. Mind making another thread to discus it?

T-6005
01-02-2007, 03:55 PM
Couldn't have more than 2 options, could you?

adombomb222
01-02-2007, 03:57 PM
What else would I have put? The third option is neutral, which could be discussed in posting.

H1T_That
01-02-2007, 03:58 PM
Maybe?

lol.

Llamas
01-02-2007, 04:02 PM
Ricky, are you calling me "trupunx" for being agnostic?? :-/

HeadAroundU
01-02-2007, 04:14 PM
Gosh knows. :rolleyes: :D

SplinterByMyOwnDesign
01-02-2007, 04:25 PM
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a279/Milo-Offspring/offspring549.jpg

Llamas
01-02-2007, 04:33 PM
Gosh knows. :rolleyes: :D

Heck is where people go who don't believe in Gosh...

Acoustic1804
01-02-2007, 05:38 PM

Hmmm...

Yeah :p

HeadAroundU
01-02-2007, 05:50 PM
Heck is where people go who don't believe in Gosh...
How do you know that I don't believe in Gosh.

Lodat225
01-02-2007, 05:52 PM

Yeah... fucking right.

DeAtHsTaR
01-02-2007, 05:53 PM
I do believe in god, but I do not have a religion.

calichix
01-02-2007, 07:23 PM
there has to be something to the fact that pretty much every culture that's ever existed has had some idea of god or a higher power. there's too much coincidence and things fall into place too perfectly for the world and the universe to be just us. science can't explain love, loyalty, or conscience to my satisfaction. einstein thought he proved the existence of god, didn't he?

XYlophonetreeZ
01-02-2007, 07:26 PM
I've never seen anything good out of organized religion, but I do often wonder how history would have been different had everyone not been scared shitless of going to hell.

That said, I believe in some kind of god just because a personal source for the universe makes more sense to me than an impersonal source.

Llamas
01-02-2007, 07:31 PM
I've seen a lot of good come from people finding religion in their own way. Organized religion helps a lot of people. I just don't believe in any of them as they stand.

wheelchairman
01-02-2007, 07:55 PM
I very loosely skimmed this debate.

Really my views are very borderline, I choose not to ponder the issue because it's not entirely (or at all) relevant to my life.

If pushed I would lean to atheism I guess. Probably not even. I have always preferred the materialist philosophers over the idealistic ones. (These are subject specific terms, in this sense materialist is one who understands the world from material values like things you could physically touch, not like Gucci bags, idealists interpret the world from idealist values, not like hippy stoner views, but like actual ideas and framework behind the existing physical world.)

To boil it down, materialists generally don't believe in God because God is not physical. Idealists believe in God because they believe there is a framework behind the physical world.

I can go more in depth I guess. It's a phase I'm over though, and I no longer truly care about religions in general.

It's just important to know that this issue has been discussed since the dawn of philosophy (back when philosophy encompassed all sciences, from physics to sociology.) Maria knows the idealist ones much better than I do (I'd be surprised if she hasn't mentioned Kant yet. :p) Hegel is a good one for the purely philosophical framework. He was quite the pop-philosopher of an age. Personally I lean towards Nietzche, who's philosophy is based around man being his own "God". And Marxist theory, that states that religions are a product of the ruling class and ideology of a certain place and time.

It's important to know that everything you've ever thought about on the subject has been discussed for centuries, and far more eloquently and logically than you could ever do on your own.

So if you care. Do the research, ask around, and read. Cause debating it is just masturbation.

calichix
01-02-2007, 08:04 PM
well said, amigo. well said.

DeAtHsTaR
01-02-2007, 11:29 PM
A God exists, I'm just sure not what it is. There HAS to be a higher power, there just has to be!! I just don't like to follow any one specific religion because I believe that if Heaven and Hell exist, if you are a good person, you will go to Heaven, regardless of which Religious laws you break. I believe in different aspects of Christianity/Judaism, Buddhism, Hindu, and others.

Little_Miss_1565
01-03-2007, 08:52 AM
Whoever God is, he is totally trupunx. He knows the answer to "Condoms or the pill?"

Llamas
01-03-2007, 10:29 AM
Whoever God is, he is totally trupunx. He knows the answer to "Condoms or the pill?"

I hear he prefers his abortions with lots of salt, too.

Blinkweasel
01-03-2007, 12:25 PM
For those that say love, and friendship, don't come from science, you're wrong. It's actually all hormones and brain chemicals.

Maybe I'm wrong, but that's a guess.

calichix
01-03-2007, 01:09 PM
No it's not actually brain chemicals. Love and friendship are too different for everyone, too unpredictable, too irrational, and can last for too long to be "brain chemicals". What about those old guys who still think their ladies are the finest pieces that ever walked the earth? Have their hormones and "brain chemicals" just taken longer to run out? I'm not denying the existence of oxytocin and whatnot, I understand its importance to the survival of children, etc.., but to chock all love and loyalty up to our mental engineering is such a cop out.

F@ BANKZ
01-03-2007, 01:18 PM

And to think i said we'd never know

Llamas
01-03-2007, 01:35 PM
No it's not actually brain chemicals. Love and friendship are too different for everyone, too unpredictable, too irrational, and can last for too long to be "brain chemicals". What about those old guys who still think their ladies are the finest pieces that ever walked the earth? Have their hormones and "brain chemicals" just taken longer to run out? I'm not denying the existence of oxytocin and whatnot, I understand its importance to the survival of children, etc.., but to chock all love and loyalty up to our mental engineering is such a cop out.

How nerves and hormones work, though, can be very, very unpredictable. Most of how are nervous system works is a bunch of fires and misfires... things shooting around randomly, looking for a connection. Feelings don't run out, either, and many hormones don't, either. Over time, many hormones will lose receptors. Other hormones don't. Testosterone and Estrogen receptors do wear out over time for most people, but that's not the case for all hormones.

Science/biology is so much fuller of randomness than you think. Evolution is nothing but a bunch of randomness, searching for the right combination. I believe feelings and emotions are 100% created chemically/neurogetically/hormonally.

Vera
01-03-2007, 01:43 PM
Also, man is a social animal and friendship, love, we naturally form these bonds in order to survive. I wouldn't say such things are as God-given as biological traits or whatever.

But it's kind of dumb to try to mix God and science anyway. Maybe God is the first reason, the thing that set everything in motion, creation, whatever. So in a way everything could have be created by him. That doesn't mean these things, love, life, don't also have scientific explanations. It's not ruling God out as much as it's explaining things from a different perspective.

Llamas
01-03-2007, 01:45 PM
But it's kind of dumb to try to mix God and science anyway. Maybe God is the first reason, the thing that set everything in motion, creation, whatever. So in a way everything could have be created by him. That doesn't mean these things, love, life, don't also have scientific explanations. It's not ruling God out as much as it's explaining things from a different perspective.

agreedagreedagreed. Sanni, have my babies.

To me, science is how we explain God. Rather, God uses science to do everything he does.

Llamas
01-04-2007, 10:50 AM
Try not to be so dumb. God doesn't use science. We, humans, do. We use it to interpret the way the world works. Period.

VERRRRRY nice job calling someone DUMB for their beliefs, Maria! That's even stupider than honestly insulting someone for their musical tastes. Just wow.

0r4ng3
01-04-2007, 10:53 AM
VERRRRRY nice job calling someone DUMB for their beliefs, Maria!
They're more like opinions, anyway.

God doesn't use science. We, humans, do. We use it to interpret the way the world works. Period.It's weird, I agree with this, but something in the back of my head is telling me not to. Is it instinct?