PDA

View Full Version : 360 or Wii?

Mota Boy
01-03-2007, 04:52 PM
I've cobbled together some excess money for Christmas and it's burning a hole in my pocket. I'm not talking about CD money here either. I'm not talking about twenty bucks. I mean, like, literally hundreds of those fuckers. I was supposed to use it to buy furniture.

I want to blow it on something impractical. I want a video game system.

I haven't owned one sense the Nintendo 64 (though I've mooched off of a fair share of Xboxes in my time. I've been out the video game hustle for a while. I've spent my time on more mature things. Like the internet. But the time is ripe for me to figure out what everyone's talking about again.

I need to spend it soon. Already I've had it sitting around for - what, over a week now? - and all I've bought is a battery recharger for my camera. If I don't waste it soon, I know I'm going to end up overthinking it all and using it to pay for gas and rent and food. You know, shit that's practical. I can't let that happen. I have to spend it on something I don't need. Something large and shiny and solid that does shit. Something that will trick people into hanging out with me.

I've already decided against the PS3, because I said I had a lot of money, not an obscene amount. If I spend that much, it'd better be an investment in my future. That's kidney money.

So I have the Wii or 360 from which to choose, and I can't decide. A 360 has a better base, and I like the idea of a US company dominating the market. Plus, I can finally purchase "Psychonauts". There is also talk on the tubes of some pretty kick (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Dragon)ass (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fable_2)RPGs coming out. I also keep hearing talk of the Holy Grail of the electronic gaming experience, one "Halo 3". But I'm pretty sure that's just an urban legend. However, with Gears of War, I'd at least have a taste.

And the Wii is, well, the Wii. Nintendo's still got a firm hold on the creator of Mario, and promises a new game in time. I'm still not sure about the controller, and how it would play out in shooters, but it seems worth a gamble. And with the price I'd actually have money left over for other shit. But at the moment I'm undecided.

So, advice?

bhg_rulz2
01-03-2007, 04:59 PM
xbox 360 =)

0r4ng3
01-03-2007, 05:02 PM
I don't want to fanboy this (I'm an Xbox360 fan), so I'll put it this way.

If you prefer traditional gaming, get an Xbox360. If you want to try something different, get a Wii.

Also, if you don't spend much time playing video games, get a Wii. Since it's cheaper, you'll be getting your money's worth no matter how little you play it.

nieh
01-03-2007, 05:15 PM
I'd vote for the Wii. That with a couple controllers is guaranteed to get people to hang out with you. It seems like the perfect system to just put a game in and have a good time whereas most of the stuff on 360 (as well as PS3, PS2 and nearly every non-Nintendo system ever) tends to be more focused on 'hardcore' gaming. Plus the Halo series is ridiculously overrated.

Lodat225
01-03-2007, 05:28 PM
Well, get the 360. The online capabillities are awesome and only about 50 dollars a year. You can download demos, videos, movies, shows. It's awesome. The Wii is going to have online but so far i think the Xbox 360 is better. There's a waaaaaaaay bigger game library for the 360. You can't go wrong with either but the 360 is way more fun. You would spend hours online.

If you get a 360, get Gears of War or Rainbow Six: Vegas. Awesome games.

If you get a Wii, get Zelda or Elebits or Rayman RR (Fun game, even though it is childish) but DBZ budokai tenkaichi 2 is an awesome fighting game.

Blinkweasel
01-03-2007, 05:34 PM
Definetly get Wii. With racing games, you turn the remote sideways, and steer. The controls really aren't that bad. It's also something different, and, I think that Nintendo has the most innovative games, or will in the future, but that's my opinion.

It's a fun, different want to play games. I think it's worth it, too, with the price.

Endymion
01-03-2007, 05:42 PM
i'd go wii.

Apathy
01-03-2007, 05:53 PM
I would prefer a 360 to a wii.

The wii is innovative and all, but I don't actually find it that fun. Plus The Elder Scrolls games are really one of the only games I play anymore.

Blinkweasel
01-03-2007, 06:07 PM
The Wii is actually creative and original. Don't you want something different, something unique, than rather play the same old way, with the same old controller?

mushi_999
01-03-2007, 06:13 PM
i got a wii for zelda im happy with it, but i dont really play the wii sports game, to much work, and i look like a dufuss swinging my arms around

Sexy Panda
01-03-2007, 06:14 PM
I've been out the video game hustle for a while. I've spent my time on more mature things. Like the internet.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Blinkweasel
01-03-2007, 06:15 PM
I know I've sounded biased, but I'll try not to here:

360 does have pretty good graphics, and I played it at my friends house. We decided to play Halo 2. The controls suck. They are so sensitive it is hard to move where you want.

Apathy
01-03-2007, 06:17 PM
I would disagree, but I have no real support for my argument other than the fact that The controls seemed great to me.

Lodat225
01-03-2007, 06:21 PM
I know I've sounded biased, but I'll try not to here:

360 does have pretty good graphics, and I played it at my friends house. We decided to play Halo 2. The controls suck. They are so sensitive it is hard to move where you want.

You posted 3 times going for the Wii. We get it.

P.S. Online gameplay FTW.

That_Guy91
01-03-2007, 06:35 PM
They are so sensitive it is hard to move where you want.

...then change the sensitivity settings.

n00b.

Blinkweasel
01-03-2007, 06:39 PM
Before you can even play a level on Halo you have to set a ton of dumb settings. It's boring, I just wanna play.

That_Guy91
01-03-2007, 06:40 PM
Well, most people are fine with the settings set where they are. If you're not, it's not the game's fault.

Mota Boy
01-03-2007, 06:52 PM
The Wii is actually creative and original. Don't you want something different, something unique, than rather play the same old way, with the same old controller?Again, I haven't been playing much of anything lately. And the way you're putting it makes it sound more faddish. Just because the controller is unique and fun now doesn't mean it will still feel that way in four months.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAYou do realize that was intentional, right?

wheelchairman
01-03-2007, 06:52 PM
I have no experience with either system. I'm gonna give you the best advice you will get.

Super Nintendo. All the way.

p.s. I skimmed the Console threads before, I can totally tell you who is a dogmatic fool (venom symbiote)

p.p.s. In all seriousness. Both systems are probably equally good. I personally would buy the Wii, but that is only cause I think the controllers are neat. Good games will come on both systems. Also with the Wii you can play supernintendo games online. (bonus)

SuperKnux
01-03-2007, 06:56 PM

All my friends who got a Wii on November are now saving up money for a 360. Like, every single one of them. No joke. Only one of them is contemplating getting a PSP or a 360, but you get the idea.

Endymion
01-03-2007, 07:07 PM
i can't stand playing fps with a controller. mouse & keyboard all the way.

Lodat225
01-03-2007, 07:22 PM
I still play Counter Strike on the computer. :(

ZombieMod FTW?

Llamas
01-03-2007, 07:59 PM
I've never played either, but Nintendo systems pwn Microsoft, IMO. I didn't like the original Xbox. The games for Wii seem a lot more fun... every Xbox game looks way too serious and like something you need to be addicted to videogames to play. You sound like you're not a hardcore gamer, and just want a system to have fun with sometimes. In that case, I think Wii is the way to go.

JohnnyNemesis
01-03-2007, 08:16 PM
If you prefer traditional gaming, get an Xbox360. If you want to try something different, get a Wii.

Now I know I'm fucking old. When the shit that's on the Xbox360 (which is the only current gen console I get a chance to play because it's what my friends have) is considered "traditional" even though it's way over my head, I'm definitely out of the loop. Sadz.

0r4ng3
01-03-2007, 08:18 PM
By "traditional", I mean that it closely resembles most other game consoles. I mean, think about it. The Wii and the PS3 are so different from everything before them, but the 360...not so much.

JohnnyNemesis
01-03-2007, 08:23 PM
That's the main reason I don't like it much or find it that interesting. I wasn't a huge fan of the last two generations of gaming mostly because the kind of games that are most popular are simply not my thing, so of course I'm a Nintendo fanboy 4life (it's been good to me over the years).

WebDudette
01-03-2007, 08:34 PM
The Wii, my reasoning behind this is Super Smash Bros. Brawl Online!

The X-Box 360 is great, but the type of games you get for 360 you can get for PC.

Lodat, you know Wii has free online play right?

0r4ng3
01-03-2007, 08:37 PM
The way I see it, if you're undecided, you should get the Wii. It's for casual gamers who don't play much. If you were any more consistent of a gamer, chances are you already know what console you want.

Sexy Panda
01-03-2007, 09:06 PM
You do realize that was intentional, right?

Yes Mota, calm down.

JohnnyNemesis
01-03-2007, 09:25 PM
Another point: Nintendo has truly exclusive games, while the others have third party companies that tell bold-faced lies when they say that a game is exclusive for a particular system.

Little_Miss_1565
01-03-2007, 09:44 PM
WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

360 is for queers.

I want a PS2 so I can play Katamari Damacy, though.

Stranger With Candy
01-03-2007, 09:59 PM
id go for the Wii. Twilight Prinsess, SSBB, Super Maro Galaxy, Metroid Prime, Rayman Raving Rabbits and alot of other great games.

the 360 got Gears of War and um..... Pimp My Ride

Llamas
01-03-2007, 10:07 PM
xbox 360

I'd vote for the Wii.

Well, get the 360.

Definetly get Wii.

i'd go wii.

I would prefer a 360 to a wii.

I personally would buy the Wii

I think Wii is the way to go.

The Wii

you should get the Wii.

WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

id go for the Wii.

9 to 3, Wii. You should probably go with the majority and get the Wii. :)

Betty
01-04-2007, 12:21 AM
I'm still trying to figure out how to pronounce Wii. God, I'm an old woman. (And drunk, due to much backspacage).

WebDudette
01-04-2007, 12:22 AM
It's the same as 'we' in English.

khaaaaan
01-04-2007, 04:47 AM
Get the Xbox 360. I've always been a playstation and nintendo fan, but the Xbox just blows my mind. The graphics (which in my opinion are quite important) are insane.

khaaaaan
01-04-2007, 04:48 AM
9 to 3, Wii. You should probably go with the majority and get the Wii. :)

You quoted 4 votes for 360. Lol.

F@ BANKZ
01-04-2007, 05:44 AM
Having been on both 360 at the moment but i'm waiting for the ps3 first because that's gonna have Metal Gear:cool:

Grabbal
01-04-2007, 06:26 AM
The fact that Wii includes many other consoles is a reason itself for getting the wii, if you like the other consoles Nintendo has released..

And Zelda of course..

Endymion
01-04-2007, 09:21 AM
or you could skip those two and save even more money by getting a Nintendo DS Lite (now in black and pink!). tons of great games, some of them very unique.

and dude, you can't top elite beat agents.

Stranger With Candy
01-04-2007, 09:48 AM
or you could skip those two and save even more money by getting a Nintendo DS Lite (now in black and pink!). tons of great games, some of them very unique.

New Super Mario Bros FTW!

sKratch
01-04-2007, 10:12 AM
I'm still trying to figure out how to pronounce Wii. God, I'm an old woman. (And drunk, due to much backspacage).

lol backspacing made you drunk?

Mota, that was a very winner post, as usual. I saw Gears of War last night, and it looked really impressive. I wasn't paying too much attention to it, but it looked good. That being said, I am the owner of a Wii. I just beat Twilight Princess yesterday evening with 60+ hours of play. It was honestly one of the best games I have ever played in my life, and that's coming from someone who A) Is mostly a PC gamer B) Has played a shitload of games. That's just one game though, and I don't know if you're a Zelda fanboy. So we'll move on. Wii Sports, for a free game that comes with the system, is amazing. Four player tennis is loads of fun, and bowling and boxing are both great times as well. Rather than lengthening any discussion of a single game, I'll stop and just say that it's a lot of fun and will have people wanting to come over to play. There are also many exclusive Nintendo games on their way out, such as the next Metroid (Metroid Prime 3: Corruption), Mario Galaxy, and SSB:Brawl.
I think you will be happy with either system, and as people have said, if you're looking for horse power and wow-factor in terms of graphics, pick up an x360. If you're looking for a unique gaming experience with the promise of Nintendo's first party games quality, get a Wii.

the_offsprings_monkey
01-04-2007, 11:15 AM
Well, get the 360. The online capabillities are awesome and only about 50 dollars a year. You can download demos, videos, movies, shows. It's awesome. The Wii is going to have online but so far i think the Xbox 360 is better. There's a waaaaaaaay bigger game library for the 360. You can't go wrong with either but the 360 is way more fun. You would spend hours online.

If you get a Wii, get Zelda or Elebits or Rayman RR (Fun game, even though it is childish) but DBZ budokai tenkaichi 2 is an awesome fighting game.

He asked for advice, not your life story.

Anyways, I'd go for the Wii, the games are fun and cheap, and so is the console it's self. also if you need some money for rent etc etc, then the Wii's cheapness would most defiantly help.

Lodat225
01-04-2007, 01:22 PM

YES! Elite Beat Agents is crazy awesome. My god is that game fun. i agree. Get a nintendo Ds lite.

He asked for advice, not your life story.

Wow you're a fucking idiot. That makes no fucking sense.

How's that my life story, you dumbshit?

Llamas
01-04-2007, 01:24 PM
This thread is making me want a Wii. :(

Lodat225
01-04-2007, 01:25 PM
Mota, that was a very winner post, as usual. I saw Gears of War last night, and it looked really impressive. I wasn't paying too much attention to it, but it looked good. That being said, I am the owner of a Wii. I just beat Twilight Princess yesterday evening with 60+ hours of play. It was honestly one of the best games I have ever played in my life, and that's coming from someone who A) Is mostly a PC gamer B) Has played a shitload of games. That's just one game though, and I don't know if you're a Zelda fanboy. So we'll move on. Wii Sports, for a free game that comes with the system, is amazing. Four player tennis is loads of fun, and bowling and boxing are both great times as well. Rather than lengthening any discussion of a single game, I'll stop and just say that it's a lot of fun and will have people wanting to come over to play. There are also many exclusive Nintendo games on their way out, such as the next Metroid (Metroid Prime 3: Corruption), Mario Galaxy, and SSB:Brawl.
I think you will be happy with either system, and as people have said, if you're looking for horse power and wow-factor in terms of graphics, pick up an x360. If you're looking for a unique gaming experience with the promise of Nintendo's first party games quality, get a Wii.

Yes. TP is one of the greatest games i've played. ever. It's better than any game of the 360.

WebDudette
01-04-2007, 05:42 PM
Gears of War is an alright game, but you can beat it in one sitting if you wanted to and the multi player isn't all that much fun. Saints Row is just an improved Grand Theft Auto. Oblivion really doesn't have great graphics, I had some visual mods for Morrowind and it looked almost as good as standard Oblivion, and I didn't think the controls on it were that great. The only things that I really would like to play on 360 is Halo 3 and Assassins Creed.

Sorry for rambling.

Tizzalicious
01-05-2007, 09:26 PM
This thread is making me want a Wii. :(

Get a Super Nintendo.
It probably weighs more, therefore has more sterling silver parts in it. Therefore is more valuable.
- Per (the alchemist)

Mota Boy
01-06-2007, 01:10 AM
I polled my real life friends. They decided they'd be much more likely to stop over randomly if I had a Wii. And so it will be.

Plus, I'm leaving the country in a few months. No point in spending $400 for that amount of time.

WebDudette
01-06-2007, 01:11 AM
Hooray! I've been trying to get one for a little while, having trouble finding any.

Llamas
01-06-2007, 01:13 AM
Get a Super Nintendo.
It probably weighs more, therefore has more sterling silver parts in it. Therefore is more valuable.
- Per (the alchemist)
I was a sega genesis kid. It'd be blasphemous for me to get a super nintendo. :p

I polled my real life friends. They decided they'd be much more likely to stop over randomly if I had a Wii. And so it will be.

Plus, I'm leaving the country in a few months. No point in spending $400 for that amount of time.
You have to get a video game system for your friends to come over! but where are you going in a few months?

Mota Boy
01-06-2007, 01:41 AM
I live in a small apartment that's relatively out of the way, and while everybody likes me, I instinctively prefer to avoid being the center of any particular social circle. In order to get people to come to me I need either booze or entertainment, preferably both.

I'm going to China.

Tizzalicious
01-06-2007, 01:42 AM
Going to China again?

-Per

Lodat225
01-06-2007, 07:41 AM
You're going to have a hard time finding a Wii.

Stranger With Candy
01-06-2007, 08:35 AM
I was a sega genesis kid. It'd be blasphemous for me to get a super nintendo. :p

Sega Master System! now that was a great machine.

Mota Boy
01-06-2007, 09:29 AM
Plus, owning a Wii provides endless opportunities for immature puns. Just last night my friend was telling me her experience with the system, explaining that it was a good form of exercise. "I played my brother's Wii when I was home and I was sore for three days!"

Ahh, good times.

0r4ng3
01-06-2007, 10:12 AM
Plus, owning a Wii provides endless opportunities for immature puns.
Yeah, as opposed to the XBox.

Navampa
01-06-2007, 10:18 AM
If you are getting a Wii, keep in mind the "friend code" system, that is if you play online.

Everyone is issued a friend code, and you have to share codes with someone else in order to play with them. And they are kike 10 characters long. I think it's a big hassle, like you can't just go and play online.

mrconeman
01-06-2007, 10:51 AM
I'd go PS3 myself, but as you've mentioned you wont.
So my second choice of this generation is the Wii. I've had two experiances with Xbox ever, so I'm not exactly qualified to say much about the system, I played the original Xbox in a friends house, then the Xbox360 in a shop, I didn't enjoy either experiance, I found the controllers awkward among other things.

I've grown up with Nintendo, I owned a Nes, Snes, Gameboy, Gameboy Advance, DS, 64 and Gamecube, since the Playstation, Nintendo always took a back seat, but I know for sure I'll get a Wii sometime after I get a PS3.

Huge Offspring Fan
01-06-2007, 10:54 AM
Sometimes, Microsoft puts songs by The Offspring is thier games, so I suggest Xbox.

mrconeman
01-06-2007, 10:55 AM
What are you, 12?

0r4ng3
The only games I know that have Offspring songs in them are the Crazy Taxi games, and those aren't Microsoft Exclusive. Oh, and Blackball was in THPS4, but again, that one was on all three consoles of the time.

Huge Offspring Fan
Crazy Taxi 3 was only for Xbox.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
01-06-2007, 10:56 AM
What are you, 12?

You know, that was the second time someone asked that, and I would like to know as well. Please tell us your age, HOF.

0r4ng3
01-06-2007, 10:58 AM
You know, that was the second time someone asked that,
Actually, that was the same person asking twice.

HOF, yes, Crazy Taxi 3 was only on Xbox (in fact, I own the game), but I'm saying that Offspring songs have also been heard on the Gamecube, PS2, and even the Dreamcast, so that shouldn't be the only reason to buy a 360.

Lodat225
01-06-2007, 11:09 AM
Why would anybody care if a game has Offspring songs?

Endymion
01-06-2007, 11:46 AM
hey guys, here's a hint: stop feeding the trolls.

also, about the friend code thing -- i'm assuming its like the DS where you use the friend code if you want to play against someone in particular. you can also be paired up or whatever randomly etc when you play online.

Tizzalicious
01-06-2007, 12:18 PM
I've grown up with Nintendo, I owned a Nes, Snes, Gameboy, Gameboy Advance, DS, 64 and Gamecube, since the Playstation, Nintendo always took a back seat, but I know for sure I'll get a Wii sometime after I get a PS3.

Where do you kids get the money for all this? Do you have a job? Or just extremely irresponsible parents?

- Per

Lodat225
01-06-2007, 12:20 PM
Where do you kids get the money for all this? Do you have a job? Or just extremely irresponsible parents?

- Per

Extremely irresponsible parents. I only own a wii, a 360 and a super nintendo.

Tizzalicious
01-06-2007, 12:22 PM
The fact that your parents didn't think they needed birth control was irresponsible.

- Per

mrconeman
01-06-2007, 12:26 PM

- Per

Nes - Christmas present for both myself and my brother when we were really, really young.
Snes - Hand me down from my uncle
Gameboy - Birthday present. On my 11th birthday, or something.
Gameboy Advance - Christmas present a few years back.
DS - It's actually my sisters, I just said I owned it for the sake of not having to type who actually owned it, she got it as a Christmas present last year I think.
64 - For my 14th birthday or something.
Gamecube - Bought it myself with money from a summer job two summers ago.
Playstation - Christmas that it came out.
PS2 - Christmas that it came out.

I imagine for me to get a PS3, It'll be a task, I'll be looking for a job as soon as this next school term ends anyway.

The fact that your parents didn't think they needed birth control was irresponsible.

- Per
Unquestionable win.

Tizzalicious
01-06-2007, 12:33 PM
Oh I figured they were gifts, they are just a little on the high end of the price range I thought. Well I hope your parents force you to go outside on a regular basis then.

- Per

mrconeman
01-06-2007, 12:37 PM
I only ever go near the consoles when I'm bored around the house, or suddenly have a new game though, I have a fairly healthy social life I'll have you know.

Tizzalicious
01-06-2007, 12:39 PM
Whatever you say long haired kid.

- Per

mrconeman
01-06-2007, 12:43 PM
I fail to see how my hair comes into this at all, unless that was some sort of elaborate joke that went over my head.

killer_queen
01-06-2007, 12:49 PM

- Per
Actually, when parents spoil their child it doesn't mean that they are irresponsible. There might be tons of reason for it.

Tizzalicious
01-06-2007, 12:52 PM
Actually, when parents spoil their child it doesn't mean that they are irresponsible. There might be tons of reason for it.

It's irresponsible, unless the kid will keel over and die from under-pampering.

Coneman, I'm calling you a hippie.

- Per

0r4ng3
01-06-2007, 01:08 PM
It's not irresponsible. I've been playing video games since I was about 6 or 7, and I have as much (if not more) consoles/handhelds as mrconeman. It's not like the parents buy all of the video games within the span of like a year or two. It's all pretty well spaced out.

mrconeman
01-06-2007, 01:15 PM
Exactly what I considered writing before I decided against further discussing it.

Apathy
01-06-2007, 01:18 PM
I agree.

I think it's safe to assume that most people who buy or ask for game systems get a new one once every year or two. Which isn't really a problem at all.

Edit: this didn't come out how I wanted it to. I doubt anyone will understand what I really mean, I can't seem to phrase it right. Props if you do.

Tizzalicious
01-06-2007, 01:20 PM
I'm not saying owning a video game system is spoilage. You've just had them all your life and it seems like you've only paid for one with your own money. That kind of gift should be few and far between

- Per

Lodat225
01-06-2007, 01:22 PM
Why the hell do you care if his parents or anybodies' parents buy someone a console?

Apathy
01-06-2007, 01:24 PM
I'm not saying owning a video game system is spoilage. You've just had them all your life and it seems like you've only paid for one with your own money. That kind of gift should be few and far between

- Per

That makes it seem like a video game system is some kind of sacred or spiritual thing that a person should cherish for a long time.

When in reality, it's more just like a quick fix of entertainment. For most people I'd assume anyway.

Tizzalicious
01-06-2007, 01:35 PM
That makes it seem like a video game system is some kind of sacred or spiritual thing that a person should cherish for a long time.

When in reality, it's more just like a quick fix of entertainment. For most people I'd assume anyway.

What it comes down to is they are always really fucking expensive.....

- Per

Lodat225
01-06-2007, 01:38 PM
No. Wii - 250. PS2 now is less than 150. Every current-gen console less 200 .

Only the PS3/360 are kinda expensive.

0r4ng3
01-06-2007, 01:39 PM
Technically, Wii/360/PS3 are current generation. Gamecube/Xbox/PS2 are last generation.

I could be wrong about it, though. I'm not completely sure how generations work.

Tizzalicious
You're also spoiled if you think 250$ is chump change. I mean christ you don't even have a real income...

arak0r
360. by far the best online play of any consoles, gears of war rapes, halo 3 (though im not a fan of that series tbh, will be out), hopefully theyll get working on knights of the old republic 3 for it too :o

Tizzalicious
01-06-2007, 01:40 PM
Technically, Wii/360/PS3 are current generation. Gamecube/Xbox/PS2 are last generation.

I could be wrong about it, though. I'm not completely sure how generations work.

You're right, that's the only way it could work. The PS2 is the previous generation. LODAT is just a moron.

- Per

Lodat225
01-06-2007, 01:46 PM

Actually, right now, the 360/wii/ps3 are next-generation. The PS2/GC/Xbox are last generation.

$250 is nothing. You could make 250 in a week with a half-time job.

Tizzalicious
01-06-2007, 01:53 PM
No you can't. That's a total lie. Not even including taxes which in the American system might be irrelevant. You're such a tool LODAT.

- Per

Mota Boy
01-06-2007, 02:18 PM
Per, it does seem a bit odd that you're criticizing people's parents for buying shit for their kids, stating that there is a "proper" amount of presents that a parent should give his or her children, that you know it, and that anyone who goes above their limit must be spoiling their children and, in turn, be a bad parent.

For one, it might be different in Europe, but I believe the average amount a household spends on Christmas gifts is somewhere on the order of $1,100 to $1,300*. Average. In my home town, some children from middle-class families receive new cars on their birthdays. Their fourteenth birthdays. Very high-end gifts are not uncommon. In that light, video game systems are far from obscene.

Personally, my parents hated that idea, and, after the N64, my mom vowed not to buy us another system (this was after we'd gone through a NES, Genesis and GameBoy in the course of a decade or so). However, while I think some of the spending is ridiculous (a new Mustang for being old enough to get a driver's permit blows my mind), insinuating that only bad parents buy their kids video game systems is about equally silly.

Edit! I actually did some research. Turns out my original figure ($4,000+ was way to high).

Nina
01-06-2007, 02:29 PM
I am honestly envious of families that can afford to spend $4000 on Christmas presents. I want to have this standard myself one day.
I think the term "spoiled" cant be explained by the amount of consoles a child receives; it is more a term that describes how exactly the child values the gifts, and whether it is ever satisfied with what it gets or not. An example of a spoiled brat is my cousin who receives expensive gifts from all sides (her parents are divorced) and is simply never happy or satisfied with what she has. She just keeps wanting more and more and more. Her parents have spent more on her than mine have on me, and she is ten years younger than me, haha. I would be envious if it wasnt for the fact that her desire to have more is shockingly neverending.

khaaaaan
01-06-2007, 02:36 PM
Per's just crying cause he never got the cool toys. No action figures, no videogames, just lame mickey mouse toys that didn't move. He is so sore about it, he even broke his brothers Power Ranger figure the day he got it! (for his birthday!) ZOMG Per!

Lodat225
01-06-2007, 02:37 PM
No you can't. That's a total lie. Not even including taxes which in the American system might be irrelevant. You're such a tool LODAT.

- Per

Well, here you can. And i have made about 250 in a week for working in Hollywood video.

Any i'm a tool for thinking 250 is nothing?

Stranger With Candy
01-06-2007, 02:44 PM
Per's just crying cause he never got the cool toys. No action figures, no videogames, just lame mickey mouse toys that didn't move. He is so sore about it, he even broke his brothers Power Ranger figure the day he got it! (for his birthday!) ZOMG Per!

Hahaha poor Per

Lodat225
01-06-2007, 02:45 PM

Haaahahaaa. No wonder.

Don't get your panties in a bunch for other people's gifts, per.

Nina
01-06-2007, 02:56 PM
Hahaha poor Per

Poor Per's stinky brother! (or has he matured by now? aww!!)

Llamas
01-06-2007, 03:54 PM
Well, here you can. And i have made about 250 in a week for working in Hollywood video.

Any i'm a tool for thinking 250 is nothing?

And how old are you? Do you live with your parents? Do you have expenses? You make $250 in one week working part time? Part time = less than 30 hours. Let's say you work 20 hours a week... that means that you make more than $10 an hour working at Hollywood video, which is pure lies. I know a lot of people who work for Hollywood, and you have to be high-up to make that kind of money. I work about 15 hours a week at $8 an hour, and I have things called rent, phone payments, tuition, etc. It's not nothing when you don't have everything handed to you by your mommy and daddy.

I have a Playstation, a PS2, a gameboy, gameboy color, gameboy advance, and sega genesis. I got the gameboy for a gift when I really young. The sega was like $75, and I got it right around when Playstation came out. My Playstation was $120. My PS2 was $100. My gameboy color was $20, and my gameboy advance was free. I could never justify spending $250 on a video game system. I had enough problem dropping $300 on an mp3 player... I really regret having bought that, and that's not just because it was stolen; it was a waste of money. I'm actually on Per's side for the most part here. Going around claiming $250 is nothing, when you live with your parents and have all your expenses paid for you, is very retarded.

mrconeman
01-06-2007, 04:03 PM

- Per

And they have been. Well maybe not few I guess. But far between, yeah.
I couldn't really be bothered justifying my possessions or my parents not being against buying their son a console every few years for Christmas or at a birthday.

I will add that yes, Lodat is fucking stupid.

sKratch
01-06-2007, 04:21 PM
I'm actually on Per's side for the most part here. Going around claiming $250 is nothing, when you live with your parents and have all your expenses paid for you, is very retarded.

Ummm... isn't that what makes it 'nothing'? Maybe it's obnoxious to say $250 is nothing when you have no expenses, but it's not retarded.
Like Mota said, a $250 console is not an obscene expense.

Tizzalicious
01-06-2007, 10:54 PM
Mota Boy, I know that for a two income family, the expense of one console on christmas really is peanuts to their monthly income. And I'm well aware of the high-end gifts that kids recieve these days. That was my point actually. Our generation recieved lots of gifts too, but I never knew anyone who got 1000 dollars worth of gifts from their parents. I wasn't poor, I was very middle class in fact. As were my friends and peers. (This was in the states btw)

So the fact that parents have started giving these ridiculous gifts just seems to be a continuing trend of parental impotence of the generation after us. Spoiling these brats is just one symptom of that.

Khaaaan, it was the pink ranger. Totally deserved it.

LODAT, you are lying. If you are working part time. You would have to earn between 15-20 dollars an hour to make that much in a week. And I know you aren't. (I see llamas covered this.)

Nina, he no longer smells anymore. But he wears camouflage pants and tank tops. I'm very worried he is a flaming homosexual. That was why I had to destroy the pink power ranger when he was an impressionable boy.

sKratch, 250 bucks should be expensive when you make between 5-8 dollars an hour...

- Per

Endymion
01-07-2007, 01:42 AM
how much do you make at hollywood? part time, in my mind, is 20 hours a week. i make 10 an hour, so after taxes i get ~180 for working a week part time. even full time, 40 hours a week, i'd get about 360. i'm sure i make more than a video store clerk and i can barely cover getting a wii after taxes on one week of full time work. plus, you know, i have rent and bills and tuition to pay.

Lodat225
01-07-2007, 08:56 AM
I earned about $8 an hour and i worked 3 hours mon-fri, and 5 hours on saturday and 5 sunday. I guess it's not 250, but it's pretty close, and since i live with my parents, there's a thing called allowance.

Edit: You make 5-8 dollars an hour? What the fuck?

khaaaaan
01-07-2007, 10:05 AM
Khaaaan, it was the pink ranger. Totally deserved it.
- Per

I intentionally left that out because it didn't strengthen my case.

Mota Boy
01-07-2007, 10:58 AM
I'm trying to decide whether or not the humor in your post was intentional.

Lodat225
01-07-2007, 10:59 AM
Actually, Mota Boy, the systems are called "Xbox 360" and "Nintendo Wii". They are not just called "360" and "Wii". Learn to get things right, you moron.

What the hell? Wii is Nintendo Wii for short, so is 360.

JohnnyNemesis
01-07-2007, 11:09 AM
Ignore Agatio, he/she is a fucking idiot.

Betty
01-07-2007, 11:46 AM
Seemed like a joke to me... or at least an attempt at one... I hope...

I worked a $7 an hour job in high school and for a year or two was being scheduled 27 hours a week most weeks and if I picked up an extra shift and boosted that to 32 hours of if we got holiday pay that week I'd be earning over $200 in a week.

And since I was in high school, I didn't pay rent or utilities or for food (unless I ate out). But I did pay for everything I needed/wanted from deodorant to clothes to CDs.

So if you're earning $150 - 200/week and there are 52 weeks in a year, it's really not that much money. But then again, I didn't spend overly frivolously and was thus able to save up over 10K to use towards university.

Point is, I generally agree that kids are spoiled, but not in this case.

Rag Doll
01-07-2007, 12:19 PM
since i live with my parents, there's a thing called allowance.

you work and get an allowance? wtf?

anyway. i'm debating getting a wii. throughout my gaming history, i've had an nes, snes, sega genesis, sega game gear, ps1, n64, gamecube, and ds lite. definitely liked the nes and snes best, but i was a lot younger when i had those and had more time for them and more interest in video games in general. however, the wii sounds interesting...especially hearing you can play snes games online with it. i have the money for the wii, but i really want new sunglasses which are going to cost me around $600. meh.

Lodat225
01-07-2007, 12:21 PM
Heh, i still do. I get around 30 dollars a week. And i worked. I worked a part-time job, not anymore.

Edit; If you want to waste sunglasses that are $600.00 go ahead. If you want to buy a Wii, go ahead. I personally think you should buy a Wii. You could buy games from Super Nintendo, NES, Nintendo 64, and it's pretty awesome.

0r4ng3
01-07-2007, 02:54 PM
you work and get an allowance? wtf?
I was thinking the same thing. I don't have either. The only money I get is from Christmas and birthdays. Fortunately, I'm very cheap.

And Agatio, I've been ignoring your stupid comments because you're 13 and all, but now it's starting to annoy me.

nieh
01-08-2007, 04:31 AM
i have the money for the wii, but i really want new sunglasses which are going to cost me around $600. meh.

You'll get more use out of the wii.

JohnnyNemesis
01-08-2007, 07:49 AM
Seriously, get a Wii instead of the sunglasses. Or buy 600 lottery tickets instead. DON'T BUY THE SUNGLASSES!!!

Grabbal
01-08-2007, 10:56 AM
Wii is better than sunglasses!!
How can you even concider getting sunglasses instead of a Wii??
Crazy talk

fergiepunk
01-08-2007, 01:03 PM
Wii it makes games funner and to me thats most important.

Nina
01-08-2007, 02:19 PM
Dont listen to them, they have nooo idea. get the glasses.
;P

Rag Doll
01-08-2007, 02:22 PM
You'll get more use out of the wii.

i really dont think i will though. i think if i got a wii, *you* would get more use out of it than i would. i would get more use out of the sunglasses.

0r4ng3
01-08-2007, 02:23 PM
If the sunglasses played Wii games on them, then yeah, get the sunglasses. If they don't, I wouldn't bother. That seems an excessive price for sunglasses.

Nina
01-08-2007, 02:24 PM
Are the sunnies going to be by Dior, by any chance?
drool.

Rag Doll
01-08-2007, 02:26 PM
well, they're prescription sunglasses...so the lenses are around $200-250. I'm either getting Chanel, D&G, or Dior frames. so. yes. Not really excessive...my everyday glasses cost roughly $500 total. *shrug*

Nina
01-08-2007, 02:40 PM
I'm really envious! I think I'd actually wear my classes if they were hot.
I've seen some pretty nice D&G frames, I think they're from the current collection. It was surprising to me because I usually think their frames are buttugly and too big and edgy.

Lodat225
01-08-2007, 02:52 PM
Well, if they cost $600, then it must be some awesome sunglasses. Just get the sunglasses if you think you'll use it more.