PDA

View Full Version : Unions

endlesst0m
01-03-2007, 07:44 PM
What do you think of Labour Unions? My family has a long history in a pipe fitter's union, which my dad often encourages me to join. But recently, I found out that many people dislike unions, and while this may sound naive, I actually had no idea about this. Unions just seem like a good idea to me. Employees unite to ensure that they recieve fair and liveable wages for the work they do. I don't see the problem, but if you don't like labour unions, I'd be interested to hear your take on them.

Sin Studly
01-03-2007, 09:51 PM
Unions are pretty much one step down from the mafia, and they've been known to cause a whole heap of shit ; like refusing to stop strikes even when the workers want desperately to work, simply to increase their prestige and show how much pressure they can put on employers. My little desert town has seen quite a few riots and inserrections caused by the unions ; occaisionally in the quest for fair wage, but often not. Often they'll band together to try and sue employers from firing incompetent workers and shit like that. Then there's the fact that during the height of their power a 'union delegate' was basically a drunk gangster who stumbled from dockyard pub to dockyard pub with a cut-down shotgun, ready to blast any political opponants in the face.

Most people who hate unions hate them because they believe they put undue regulation on companies and hinder the economy. In many cases, I agree. But I do see them as an unfortunately necessary evil. Without them the common worker would be fucked hard.

Venom Symbiote
01-04-2007, 10:36 PM
Stop using so many French terms in your posts. It's an American-based board, learn the fucking language.

Tizzalicious
01-05-2007, 10:42 AM
Stop using so many French terms in your posts. It's an American-based board, learn the fucking language.

Raison d'etre is an English term you idiot. It comes from French, but so does the word forest. We use it in English, it's not even an uncommon or obscure phrase like Maria was once prone to using as a form of communication. I just read Maria's entire post in English wondering what your gripe was, it looks much more like you're an idiot who just wants to be like his betters.

And I have no qualms with unions. I think the Danish model with collective bargaining is a rather good system. The union functions more like a form of insurance than an actual body of action.

- Wheelchairman

Sin Studly
01-05-2007, 06:13 PM
Australians don't mind sharing their weight and age because they're not pretentious European faggots. Although any who would willingly go to france outside of wartime are likely to be embarrasments to the nation.

nieh
01-06-2007, 11:04 AM
Unions are oftentimes just as corrupt, if not moreso, than the companies they claim to be defending the workers from. As Justin said, a lot of them are pretty much just one step below the mafia. Many places go on strike over the most ridiculous things even when the workers don't want anything to do with it and oftentimes the workers are intimidated into staying home. My dad used to be a manager at places like Caldor and Woolworths and Sears and when the unions went on strike he would occasionally get death threats or have people try to physically assault him or run him over (or at least pretend to try in order to intimidate him) in the parking lot as he was going to work. Over fucking WOOLWORTHS. Unions were a great thing when they first came around and are still needed in some situations but for the most part they just cause unneeded problems. It's standard now for most companies to give raises, paid time off, benefits, etc., even non-union ones. It's become expected of them. I know there are still some jobs where that doesn't happen and thus, unions are still needed in some cases, but a lot of them should really just disappear.

Endymion
01-06-2007, 11:59 AM
when the average dockworker's pay at the port of long beach is over $100,000 a year, you know the unions are corrupt.

Tizzalicious
01-06-2007, 12:20 PM
when the average dockworker's pay at the port of long beach is over $100,000 a year, you know the unions are corrupt.

Corrupt or too powerful? I don't remember if Dockworker falls under the Teamsters jurisdiction these days. Then the answer would be rather obvious. Although they were merged long enough with other unions as well I suppose.

- Per

Sin Studly
01-06-2007, 06:23 PM
The most feared criminal syndicate ever to exist in Australia was the Federated Union of Ship-Painters and Dockers.

Enough said.

edit ; http://bulletin.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=170124