PDA

View Full Version : America

the_offsprings_monkey
01-04-2007, 11:51 AM
Well my Dads decided to move over to America, so chances are I might also be going too. Does anyone know much about North East Louisiana (also known locally there as "the boot")?

Llamas
01-04-2007, 11:57 AM
Hiiiiiiiiiiiicks! :)

XYlophonetreeZ
01-04-2007, 12:05 PM
No one calls it "the boot," for one.

Louisiana is full of people who talk funny and walk freely into their neighbors' white houses to eat shrimp and listen to each other play the piano. Either that or you'll be the only white guy in town.

Little_Miss_1565
01-04-2007, 12:28 PM
NOrtheast Louisiana is far away from New Orleans, where all the fun is.

Llamas
01-04-2007, 12:35 PM
New Orleans is like... barely the same state. It seems super fun there, but the rest of Louisiana just seems like a bunch of typical southeastern culture... very hickish. Usually people there are very hospitable and friendly if you're white. However, they can be quite judgemental and might judge you on things like religion or where you're from. Doesn't go for all of the southeast, but I've known people who went to those areas who witnessed some very heavy discrimination. Oh, and they're quite conservative and republican in the south.

JohnnyNemesis
01-04-2007, 02:52 PM
The entire state is going to freeze over and then explode if the New Orleans Saints make the Super Bowl.

Mota Boy
01-04-2007, 03:29 PM
So, like, Monroe? That would put you about an hour and a half from my hometown.

You poor bastard.

the_offsprings_monkey
01-04-2007, 03:32 PM
So, like, Monroe? That would put you about an hour and a half from my hometown.

You poor bastard.

Yea it's in West Monroe. But I've heard it's pretty crap for shops and stuff there.

Mota Boy
01-04-2007, 04:38 PM
Hahahaha! Oh God, Monroe... Ironically, I actually mentioned the city in one of my "Thought"s (http://www.offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5254).

Yeah, at least it's not minute, like my town. In fact, we used to go there every once in a blue moon for shopping and I used to fly into the Monroe regional airport to get home until I told my parents I didn't want to any more after they had to take my bag off the prop plane because it put us over the weight limit. It's a bit larger than its population because it's the biggest town in the area, but it's hick country, man. However, it, like every other town in Louisiana, is probably benefiting from a Katrina-induced population boom and the economy might be doing fairly well. However, the nearest major cities are all awful. Don't get me wrong, New Orleans is magical, but it's still lurching along, and it's four or five hours out.

If your dad's moving across the Atlantic to get there, though, I'll go ahead and assume it's not to manage the local Micky D's. Though I'm sure he's already looking into it, make sure he moves into the part of town with the best school district, if there even is one. Monroe probably has a few private schools left over from white flight, but if they're like the schools in my town, they're Christian to the point that you probably don't want to go. Beware of private schools in the South, man. Though the Louisiana Science and Math (or something like that) school is pretty fun, according to my friend that went there.

Oh man, England to Monroe, Louisiana... You'll probably have culture shock like you wouldn't believe. At the very least you should start by memorizing this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LSU_football).

the_offsprings_monkey
01-04-2007, 04:54 PM
Oh man, England to Monroe, Louisiana... You'll probably have culture shock like you wouldn't believe. At the very least you should start by memorizing this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LSU_football).
...I play the other kind of Football (Soccer)! =[, maybe they'll have a soccer team in this place.
Also the reason my dad's going over there to manage a family business.

Lodat225
01-04-2007, 06:09 PM
...I play the other kind of Football (Soccer)! =[, maybe they'll have a soccer team in this place.

lolz, your a faggot. soccer? why dont you die.

I'm just getting my "lulz".

~*hit_that*~
01-04-2007, 06:48 PM
don't worry Ashley, Lodat's just jealous cos you got more balls than him. No wait, I've probably got more balls than him! (Metaphorical, of course). Come back when you grow a pair,Lodat :D

Edit: just getting my "lulz"

Lodat225
01-04-2007, 06:51 PM
don't worry Ashley, Lodat's just jealous cos you got more balls than him. No wait, I've probably got more balls than him! (Metaphorical, of course). Come back when you grow a pair,Lodat :D

Edit: just getting my "lulz"

I'll do that now.

Little_Miss_1565
01-04-2007, 09:57 PM

In hick country? Not bloody likely. And I'd work on imitating an American accent before you get there. Start talking about British football with an English accent in American football country and you're asking to get tortured by assholes.

Llamas
01-04-2007, 10:00 PM
In hick country? Not bloody likely. And I'd work on imitating an American accent before you get there. Start talking about British football with an English accent in American football country and you're asking to get tortured by assholes.
American accent? Louisiana? HA! Like they speak real English there...

Little_Miss_1565
01-04-2007, 10:07 PM
Even the most boring American accent would be an improvement over the sure to come 'OI I WOULD LIKE A SPOT OF TEA AND A CRUMPET, GOD SAVE THE QUEEN" from bystanders. Actually, maybe that isn't a worry--Claibe, do they know crumpets in Monroe?

Mota Boy
01-04-2007, 10:25 PM
Holy shit, that's a euphemism for a revenge killing, isn't it?

And Sarah - I don't know if they know crumpets, but I do know that they do know soccer. And I think the British accent will be a boon. People will assume that he's smart and mysterious. Ironic, no?

Little_Miss_1565
01-04-2007, 10:51 PM
And Sarah - I don't know if they know crumpets, but I do know that they do know soccer. And I think the British accent will be a boon. People will assume that he's smart and mysterious. Ironic, no?

Haha, perhaps. Let's see how long though before someone is screaming at him to "put another shrimp on the barbie."

Venom Symbiote
01-04-2007, 10:54 PM
Fuck you, you fucking fuck.

the_offsprings_monkey
01-17-2007, 05:54 PM
Holy shit, that's a euphemism for a revenge killing, isn't it?

My god I have some family from there staying over atm an their accents are killing me! I don't think I could stand to go over there and actually live there. As for my accent, I don't have your typical British accent, I have a mild Bristolian one (Bit like Vikky Pollard, only not that bad).