PDA

View Full Version : V for Vendetta

Lodat225
01-05-2007, 03:47 PM
So i bought the DVD for this movie, because it interested me and i got to say... this movie is excellent. One of the best movies i've ever seen. Not only is it interesting, but its political messages are outstanding. It brings up points worth thinking about. The story was also good. It manages to carry out a plotline that could make audiences turn against V. It's 132 minutes, and unlike other movies the message is still there. It's awesome, and they picked the cast very well.

Who else enjoyed this movie?

Grabbal
01-05-2007, 04:06 PM
Yeah it's really good, but worth making a thread for??

Lodat225
01-05-2007, 04:07 PM
It's an excellent movie. If it wasn't worth making a thread for, then the thread will just die.

Mota Boy
01-05-2007, 04:52 PM
Although I'm biased as I saw the movie first, I think it's far superior in most every way to the book. The graphical novel was just a pain to read. Part of it was that it was dated, and, as Moore points out in the opening bit, a bit melodramatic to have the events caused as a result of nuclear war than political and economic instability. It made the events seem far less relevant. Also, the book's concept of anarchy was childish, and the only sympathetic characters were a couple of the "bad guys". The movie rocks the casbah.

And I find it funny that you say they picked the cast well, as the movie famously had to switch to Hugo Weaving from another actor mid-movie. Fortunately, the actor playing V can be easily substituted without reshooting large segments of the film.

Endymion
01-05-2007, 04:58 PM
it was meh

T-6005
01-05-2007, 05:09 PM
It was horrible. I found it trite and predictable. The cinematography was adequate, but the lack of any other redeeming qualities make it one of the most overrated movies I've ever seen.

WebDudette
01-05-2007, 05:13 PM
It was kind of lame and boring. The only part I liked is when he went on forever with V words.

Ninty Man
01-05-2007, 09:58 PM
it was meh

Die

It was horrible. I found it trite and predictable. The cinematography was adequate, but the lack of any other redeeming qualities make it one of the most overrated movies I've ever seen.

Die

It was kind of lame and boring

Die

It was GREAT... everyone it's V after all

Remember, remember, the 5th of november

Lodat225
01-05-2007, 11:26 PM
Yeeeeeeah!

Not Ozymandias
01-06-2007, 01:13 AM
It was a piece of shit, I'm unsurprised that you liked it.

Grabbal
01-06-2007, 08:48 AM
I actually watched it on 5th november

Lupin
01-06-2007, 09:12 AM
Its fucking awesome. I think Vs whole 'eradication of fear' thing towards the end is good.
"you tourtured me....i hate you"
"erm.....yep i did"
(slightly alterd script there)
________
Ferrari 125 history (http://www.ferrari-wiki.com/wiki/Ferrari_125)

Stranger With Candy
01-06-2007, 09:32 AM
it was boring.

H1T_That
01-06-2007, 05:39 PM
I love it. The dialect is amazing.

Venom Symbiote
01-06-2007, 08:15 PM
The movie was fucking balls. Go read the novel, the movie just pulled all its goddamned punches.

Controversial my ass.

It was pretty much just weak watered-down "appeal to the Bush haters" Wachowski bullshit. The book is nothing like it.

Lodat225
01-06-2007, 08:51 PM
You got it all wrong. It's the book that sucked balls.

Venom Symbiote
01-06-2007, 09:00 PM
Noooo. It's the Wachowskis that completely raped Moore's book and turned it into a heavy-handed jab at the Bush administration, rather than a fictional look at a fascist futuristic Britain.

Hell, listening to the dialogue you can tell straight away it's an American's view of the British. How many fucking times do the characters comment "bollocks" on anything negative that happens?

The movie was ridiculous.

And I don't say that lightly, because anything that Natalie Portman is in usually turns to gold. Whereas this film was worse than a fucking Star Wars prequel.

Mota Boy
01-07-2007, 02:56 AM
Noooo. It's the Wachowskis that completely raped Moore's book and turned it into a heavy-handed jab at the Bush administration, rather than a fictional look at a fascist futuristic Britain.As I mentioned before, the book sucked. V was utterly insane and Evey was just a retard. Neither were sympathetic in the least. Evey's relationship with they guy with whom she was living was utterly idiotic in its execution and it made me loathe her (Evey was the most pathetic simpleton I've seen in print, ever. Her host decides he'll let her know he's about to start fucking her by telling her that he'll use her room for storage and have her sleep in his bed, and she responds by thanking him for deciding to use her as his personal cockholster, saying she was afraid he'd been displeased by her [remember - this is the guy keeping her alive, so she really has no choice to say "no"]. That's the most pathetic, disgusting "romance" scene I've ever had the displeasure to process.) It says a lot that I felt much, much more sympathy for the bad guy getting his rocks off to the computer.

Not to mention that the "political" message in that was moronic. First of all, Britain's devolution into autocracy relied entirely on a nuclear war, which Moore himself later admitted was overdone. Such an extreme scenario only serves to make the events in the story seem remote from our daily routine and impossible to happen to "our" society, when in fact only a few things are needed to trigger it, as the movie makes clearer. The premise of the comic alone was dated by twenty years. The slight tweaking that paralleled the current American administration only served to make the story more relevant, not less. Lastly, Moore's political message was sickeningly juvenile. Anarchy? ANARCHY? Really? REALLY? Honestly... really? I still can't get over it - that all V wanted to do in the comic was destroy the current government and let the people self-rule, while completely fucking ignoring that Britain was under a dictatorship at the present precisely because such a power vacuum existed in the first place. The graphic novel was a hideous farce of a political statement compared to the movie. It was mediocre in almost every aspect save imagination. Honestly, what on Earth that was beneficial do you feel was lost in the transition from paper to celluloid? And how was a major motion picture released in the United States within a few years after the 9/11 attacks that featured a terrorist protagonist who, in the climax of the movie, blows up a fucking building/national monument, "controversial [your] ass"? I'd say that championing a terrorist against a government, that, as you point out, strong resembled the Bush administration, during a time when we were fighting the Iraq war, was pretty goddamn ballsy.

I bought the movie yesterday and saw it again tonight. And I'm pretty sure that if you don't like it, you suck.

Sunny
01-07-2007, 05:20 AM
it was fucking stunning, the branding of the government was fantastic, and the whole deal made me cry, because i'm a big tool. additionally, i want to bone hugo weaving and have him make me breakfast like he did in the movie... so, yes. full approval.

Lodat225
01-07-2007, 09:55 AM
I agree with the 2 above me.

The book sucked, i actually read it before the movie just to see what it was. What Mota Boy said was right, and i agree with him 100%. Of course i would've sucked expressing myself.

Sunny: You cried?

Sunny
01-07-2007, 01:40 PM
totally. then again, i cried while watching Mallrats and March of the Penguins, too.

it just so happens that movies make me cry. mmyep... i'm an oddball.

Endymion
01-07-2007, 01:48 PM
March of the Penguins

how can you not cry when watching that movie?

Sunny
01-07-2007, 01:58 PM
if you're an empty heartless shell of a human being, that's how.

Lodat225
01-07-2007, 02:12 PM
totally. then again, i cried while watching Mallrats and March of the Penguins, too.

it just so happens that movies make me cry. mmyep... i'm an oddball.

Mallrats?! The one with Jay and Silent Bob...? Or am i thinking of another movie...?

killer_queen
01-07-2007, 02:48 PM
I was dying to see March of Penguins on cinema but unfortunately it didn't get showed here. I must buy its DVD.

Lodat225
01-07-2007, 02:50 PM
Or download it off of torrentspy.com

Edit: Or just see it here:

http://links2movies.50webs.org/

Unless you want the whole collection feel of owning a DVD, which is why i buy almost every DVD of any decent/good movies out there.

Lodat225
01-07-2007, 02:54 PM
March of the Penguins sucked!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nah, it was a pretty cool documentary/movie .

Lodat225
01-07-2007, 03:00 PM
I could see why you couldn't like it, but right when it was beginning to get boring something interesting happened.

Lodat225
01-07-2007, 03:11 PM
Hahahaha, that would've been cool.

After 2 hours of watching the penguins, at the end a glacier falls down and kills them an it ends like that.

Grabbal
01-07-2007, 03:19 PM
I could see why you couldn't like it, but right when it was beginning to get boring something interesting happened.

Like the scene where the bird tried to get the baby penguins...
that scene was more thrilling than most movies out there..

Lodat225
01-07-2007, 03:22 PM
Like the scene where the bird tried to get the baby penguins...
that scene was more thrilling than most movies out there..

Yeah. I was getting bored, but then that happened. I was at the edge of my seat thinking "Holy shit!"

arak0r
01-07-2007, 03:36 PM
it was ok, but it's also horribly overrated.

JoY
01-07-2007, 06:59 PM
I should probably not read this topic, if I haven't seen/read it yet & am planning to do so?

Bazza
01-07-2007, 07:07 PM
The part with the excerpt from Tchaikovsky's 1812 overture playing is amazing, made my day and brought a small smile to my face.

Lodat225
01-07-2007, 08:36 PM
I should probably not read this topic, if I haven't seen/read it yet & am planning to do so?

Yes. See it.

calichix
01-07-2007, 09:41 PM
I read the book. it was incredible.

Ninty Man
01-08-2007, 02:13 PM
I read the book. it was incredible.

I can't find it anywhere here in comic book stores... any ideas?