PDA

View Full Version : Storm Thorgerson: Splinter Album Art...

Mucho Macho
01-06-2007, 06:24 AM
I read yesterday an article about Storm Thorgerson, the guy who did the Album Art for the Splinter album. In that particular article he's called the "transloter of music" and there's an explanation for two pictures that are added somewhere in the Splinter album.
First there's the picture with the family in glass on it (Hit That). I'll try to translate the text into English: "When something precious like a family gets broken, it would be even more clear (for the viewer) when the family would be made of glass (so it could splinter into pieces)."
The other picture is the one where that guy on the hill tries to imitate the shape of the moon (well at least I thought he wanted to do so). The article says that "the moon actually symbolizes a splinter that drills through the heart of the man. As a splinter in general it symbolizes something that got broken."
Now those two elements plus the lyrics in Long Way Home (Like fragments of a broken mind, I splinter by my own design) explain why the album is called Splinter.
The article also adds that Thorgerson has done the album covers for many other bands as well, like Pink Floyd and Muse. There's also a website about the guy: www.stormthorgerson.com
I myself am a bit surprised by the explanations mentioned above. It also shows that The Offspring pictures (and covers in general) are not only ment to be fun to look at, they have something to say as well...

Lodat225
01-06-2007, 03:52 PM
Fail .

0r4ng3
01-06-2007, 04:00 PM
Fail .Irony.

In all seriousness, I think that's pretty cool, the way the artwork describes the songs.

DexterWannabe
01-06-2007, 04:10 PM
you learn something new everyday

almost

Tijs
01-06-2007, 04:16 PM
I enjoy his designs. They're odd.

Lodat225
01-06-2007, 05:30 PM
Irony.

In all seriousness, I think that's pretty cool, the way the artwork describes the songs.

It was the only way i could bump this thread, i found it pretty cool but it was all the way down.

Dexter_H
01-06-2007, 06:35 PM
Quiet, 'yes-man'.

ZagmenO
01-06-2007, 06:41 PM
You know what else? Inside the pamphlet thingy that came in the case, next to the "Da Hui" lyrics, there are wooden surfboards. The surfboards are because Da Hui is a surf gang. But why are they made of wood? Most surfboards aren't. I think they're made of wood because wood gives you splinters.

Jakebert
01-06-2007, 06:50 PM
No, it's because surfboards used to be made out of wood.

Venom Symbiote
01-06-2007, 08:37 PM

Erm, doesn't most?

From where I'm standing, the artwork from Americana/Conspiracy described the songs in the same manner.

And what the hell is this guy, a Viking? "Storm Thorgerson"? Kickass name if I've ever heard one. Makes me want to change mine to "Thorolf" or "Olaf" or some shit.

Hypodermic_89
01-07-2007, 11:23 AM
I always new what the man on the hill symbolized. I've never thought about the glass family..