PDA

View Full Version : hey wow a stupid test that actually amused me

arak0r
01-07-2007, 02:07 AM
http://www.gotoquiz.com/what_american_accent_do_you_have

hah!

Your Result: Boston

You definitely have a Boston accent, even if you think you don't. Of course, that doesn't mean you are from the Boston area, you may also be from New Hampshire or Maine.

find it odd how well it figured that out http://www.panterachat.com/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_neutral.gif

goddamn right son!

Tizzalicious
01-07-2007, 02:12 AM
Why would that be odd? It has a much more substantial and *real* area to work with. With a little research it would be very easy. As opposed to personality tests which only work because people find that any description of themselves to be rather correct.

- Per

Acoustic1804
01-07-2007, 02:15 AM
I'm Australian and my result was The Northeast.

This is what they had to say about me:

Judging by how you talk you are probably from north Jersey, New York City, Connecticut or Rhode Island. Chances are, if you are from New York City (and not those other places) people would probably be able to tell if they actually heard you speak.

Is that a good or a bad thing?

Llamas
01-07-2007, 02:16 AM
American accents are easy to pinpoint. They're very different and distinct. I got inland north/Wisconsin... which is also right. Though it says I likely call carbonated beverages "pop". Fuck that. It's soda.

"You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop.""

Actually, linguists have stated over and over that the midwest has the most accurate English, and is as close to "straight from the dictionary" as any English is in the world. So also, fuck that.

Edit: acoustic, it depends on who's judging you. The most "looked down upon" accents in the US are southern, because people tend to associate the sound of their accent as being "dumb" or "slow". A lot of people associate the Northeastern accent, which you were associated with, as being haughty and stuck up. It just depends on who you're asking.

Acoustic1804
01-07-2007, 02:23 AM
Is there a test like this that pin points your type of accent world wide rather than just in America?

I'd rather do a test like that. I think the results would be more interesting.

Tizzalicious
01-07-2007, 02:23 AM
Llamas, what the fuck is accurate English?

There is a dialect in America (perhaps West Coast, I forget) that is supposed to be the closest dialect left to the form of English spoken by Shakespeare for example. blah blah blah who cares.

The most aesthetically pleasing form of English in existance is the Pacific Northwest English dialect. That is why Hollywood appropriated it as the most easily marketable. Hence why most people think the American accent is the Pacific Northwest accent.

Hooray for us. All around the world kids are learning to say chock instead of chalk.

- Per

Tizzalicious
01-07-2007, 02:24 AM
Is there a test like this that pin points your type of accent world wide rather than just in America?

I'd rather do a test like that. I think the results would be more interesting.

Don't you know you're own fucking accent?

- Per

Little_Miss_1565
01-07-2007, 02:26 AM
I got Boston. Lolz. I have family in New England, but I grew up in the Midwest. Never lived in New England until college. Lolz lolz.

XYlophonetreeZ
01-07-2007, 02:33 AM
"Accurate English" I think means neutral accents. They get network newscasters from Iowa all the time because of its neutrality. But I think it's bullshit. Iowans definitely have an accent. It's a lot like a Minnesota accent.

I don't understand why the West wouldn't be the most neutral area. It makes the most sense- since most Americans who live there are only 2nd-3rd-4th generation Westerners who originated from a wide variety of regions. You'd think it would balance out.

I consider myself very balanced. My dad's whole family's from New York, my mom's whole family's from Iowa, and I've lived my whole life in North Carolina. I think all of those influences found some kind of midpoint and I got neutralized.

Edit: Just took the test.

Your Result: The Midland

"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

Acoustic1804
01-07-2007, 02:34 AM
Don't you know you're own fucking accent?

- Per

Yeah but I'd be interested to see what a quiz thingy would say for me. Besides not every country has the exact same kind of accent.

Llamas
01-07-2007, 02:36 AM
"General American (sometimes called Standard Midwestern or American Broadcast English) is the accent of American English perceived by Americans to be most "neutral" and free of regional characteristics. The General American accent is not thought of as a linguistic standard in the sense that Received Pronunciation (RP) has historically been the standard, prestige variant in England, but its speakers are perceived as "accentless" by most Americans."

"Non-Americans think that the Texan accent is stereotypical.
Linguists think that the Midwestern accent is most similar to Standard American English."

"The Midwestern accent is usually considered the most “correct” of accents in American English, since it lacks a great deal of specific inflection, and sounds "flat." Upper Midwestern American English takes its sound from the Scandinavian accents of those who first settled there."

Basically, we pronounce things very phonetically and "Flatly". The reason our accent isn't preferred in hollywood is because it is flat and not that interesting. However, it is the most "correct" according to American linguists.

Tizzalicious
01-07-2007, 02:36 AM
Yeah but I'd be interested to see what a quiz thingy would say for me. Besides not every country has the exact same kind of accent.
Of course not. As this test has proven there is a multitude of dialects within a given nation. Still does not excuse the fact that you don't know yours. Which is...strange.

- Per

Acoustic1804
01-07-2007, 02:43 AM
Of course not. As this test has proven there is a multitude of dialects within a given nation. Still does not excuse the fact that you don't know yours. Which is...strange.

- Per

It was you who said I don't know it man. Don't let it bother you, just leave it alone.

Little_Miss_1565
01-07-2007, 02:48 AM

- Per

He's in Australia. I get the feeling that it was more out of curiosity than a desire to get actual scientific-like results from this test. As for how someone might not know their accent, I've moved around and have so many different cultural ties to various parts of the country that I didn't know what my accent would come back as being--I grew up in the Midland area, and yet I have a Boston accent.

HeadAroundU
01-07-2007, 02:50 AM
The Inland North

You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."

That's whorrible! My accent is different.

Acoustic1804
01-07-2007, 02:54 AM
He's in Australia. I get the feeling that it was more out of curiosity than a desire to get actual scientific-like results from this test. As for how someone might not know their accent, I've moved around and have so many different cultural ties to various parts of the country that I didn't know what my accent would come back as being--I grew up in the Midland area, and yet I have a Boston accent.

That's kind of what I said in the first place - that I was interested.

Llamas
01-07-2007, 02:58 AM
As for how someone might not know their accent, I've moved around and have so many different cultural ties to various parts of the country that I didn't know what my accent would come back as being--I grew up in the Midland area, and yet I have a Boston accent.
Accents are crazy... when you move, your accent is likely to change VERY quickly. The change from southeastern Wisconsin to Minnesota wasn't that drastic of an accent difference, but people back home were noticing a change in my accent within months. It gets harder the more different the accents are, though. Especially when you're submersed in a new language.

The Inland North

You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."

That's whorrible! My accent is different.
You're from Slovakia? that doesn't surprise me, then. The accent in the "inland north" is rather highly influenced by both scandinavian and slavic languages. Our second highest foreign language in Minnesota (next to Spanish) is Russian. What do you think your accent is like, if it's different?

HeadAroundU
01-07-2007, 03:06 AM
I'm fine with the result. I'm just having a little fun with words whore and horrible. Oh, and that's all interesting what you said.

Tizzalicious
01-07-2007, 03:34 AM

Except I don't get the feeling he was moving around much at the moment.

- Per

el_monkey
01-07-2007, 03:44 AM
"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio

mrconeman
01-07-2007, 06:26 AM
"Your accent is as Philadelphian as a cheesesteak! If you're not from Philadelphia, then you're from someplace near there like south Jersey, Baltimore, or Wilmington. if you've ever journeyed to some far off place where people don't know that Philly has an accent, someone may have thought you talked a little weird even though they didn't have a clue what accent it was they heard."

Never even been to America. Just thought I'd do it.

Tizzalicious
01-07-2007, 07:03 AM
Ah but Maria, I clearly heard a french accent. :p

- Per

Not Ozymandias
01-07-2007, 07:06 AM
They cot me.

Grabbal
01-07-2007, 07:08 AM
"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

Stranger With Candy
01-07-2007, 07:41 AM
The Inland North

leo3375
01-07-2007, 07:44 AM
I got "The Inland North." I have to take offense to the "Are you from Wisconsin?" question, though. Movies like "Fargo" and "North Country" capture the Minnesota accent quite nicely, though it is slightly exaggerated in "Fargo."

Navampa
01-07-2007, 08:29 AM
My results were "The West", even though I live in PA.

Didn't you guys think all those words sounded the same, with like two exceptions.

I think some of you cheated a little :(

Vera
01-07-2007, 08:51 AM

--

I'm a bland damn bastard but hey, I knew that. Unless I put on an English accent, which I normally don't but can - it tends to sound a tad faked, though I always did use quite a lot of UK English vocab.

Lodat225
01-07-2007, 08:59 AM

sKratch
01-07-2007, 09:12 AM
What American accent do you have?

Izie
01-07-2007, 10:22 AM
Never took the test but Perchek assures me I have a Jersey accent, apperantly.

I'm from N E W Jers/Where plenty of murder occurs.

-HP

T-6005
01-07-2007, 10:25 AM
The Inland North.

Oh no, I've been found out :(.

Little_Miss_1565
01-07-2007, 10:58 AM
^ right, because this quiz is that accurate. You fail.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
01-07-2007, 11:00 AM
http://i3.tinypic.com/2eas47c.jpg

Sweet. It's right.

Tizzalicious
01-07-2007, 12:04 PM
Your Result: The Inland North

When I went to Canada, the guy at customs in the US asked me where I was going: "Canada" "Oh right, yes, you do that that Canadian accent". Uhuh.

Apathy
01-07-2007, 12:23 PM
I didn't think it would get it right, but it did. Much more accurate than I thought it would be.

Inland North.

Tired_Of_You
01-07-2007, 12:39 PM
Your Result: The Northeast

Judging by how you talk you are probably from north Jersey, New York City, Connecticut or Rhode Island. Chances are, if you are from New York City (and not those other places) people would probably be able to tell if they actually heard you speak.

We all know I have a weird Quebec accent, though.

Homer
01-07-2007, 02:14 PM
North Central or something for me. It said that I also might be from Canada, so... hooray?

arak0r
01-07-2007, 02:24 PM
yeaaaa i did this find out where people live so i can stalk them.. as opposed to just looking at their locations?

skiddles824
01-07-2007, 02:29 PM
What American accent do you have? Your Result: North Central

"North Central" is what professional linguists call the Minnesota accent. If you saw "Fargo" you probably didn't think the characters sounded very out of the ordinary. Outsiders probably mistake you for a Canadian a lot.

wtf creepy i am canadan.........

Camilamazed
01-07-2007, 02:37 PM
http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/9785/testri3.jpg

I just don't know how to tell if it's a bad or a good thing.

=|

leo3375
01-07-2007, 08:19 PM
I just want to point out that there is only one way to know for sure I'm from Minnesota, and that's how I pronounce some of my "O's." Other than that, my actual speech patterns are pretty ambiguous.

Little_Miss_1565
01-07-2007, 08:24 PM
wtf creepy i am canadan.........

The test is for American accents, which is why it came back with an American region. Besides, that region is characterized by a heavy influence of the Canadian accent, so it's really not creepy or a surprise at all.

Sinister
01-07-2007, 08:28 PM
Northeast, that's the closest to my actual location actually; besides, I went to New York once and most people didn't seem to have an accent.

arak0r
01-07-2007, 08:51 PM
speakin of accents, my sisters just returned from ireland. she met her current boyfriend in boston over the summer, hes straight up from ireland. ive talked to him a tiny bit before irl, i could understand him okish. well she just had me dial his number to tell him to call his vonage or w/e to let him know to call her

lemme tell you somethin, i couldnt understand one feckin word he said lmao

Llamas
01-07-2007, 09:31 PM
I got "The Inland North." I have to take offense to the "Are you from Wisconsin?" question, though. Movies like "Fargo" and "North Country" capture the Minnesota accent quite nicely, though it is slightly exaggerated in "Fargo."
What? Fargo is in North Dakota... people don't talk like that in Minnesota. "Drop Dead Gorgeous" is a MUCH bertter example of the Minnesotan accent than "Fargo".

I just want to point out that there is only one way to know for sure I'm from Minnesota, and that's how I pronounce some of my "O's." Other than that, my actual speech patterns are pretty ambiguous.
That's because people from the cities don't have as distinctive of a Minnesotan accent. That's just how it works when you live in a big city in most states.

leo3375
01-08-2007, 07:58 AM
What? Fargo is in North Dakota... people don't talk like that in Minnesota. "Drop Dead Gorgeous" is a MUCH bertter example of the Minnesotan accent than "Fargo".

Most of the movie "Fargo" takes places in Minnesota.

Marco
01-08-2007, 08:15 AM
My accent according to the test= The Northeast

nameless
01-08-2007, 02:52 PM
i have one from the northeast!