PDA

View Full Version : Scum Of The Earth

Bazza
01-07-2007, 04:16 PM
Ok, I'm not one to rant and rave, however I return from home back to univeristy to find some scum has stolen my bike. Now you may say it's only a bike, not worth much, but to me it had lots of value. I got it about 8years ago and it has served me well.

What really annoys me is the fact that someone has gone to the effort of climbing over a fence, taking a pair of bolt cutters to the lock and running off (after carrying it over the fence) with my bike. Now I'm without my beloved bike (probably only worth a tenner now), I'll have to walk or drive to lectures (depriving me of exercise) and will have to replace my stolen property (something that will cost me in excess of 150, which I don't have).

Has anything like this happened to you, and what do you think of scum who believe they can take what isn't theirs?

Jakebert
01-07-2007, 04:20 PM
I didn't know people still stole bikes. Weird.

Bazza
01-07-2007, 04:23 PM
That's why it pisses me off so much. Why bother? It's not worth anything, and they put effort into taking it. Just doesn't make any sense.

killer_queen
01-07-2007, 04:25 PM
I have a friend who used to adore his bike. His bike was (and still is) his most precious thing. He used to save lots of money and use it for his bike. To be honest, it was an awesome bike.

Anyways, I used to like this boy and he didn't like me. What's worse is he stopped talking to me without a reason. We weren't that close but I found it very rude.

One day his awsome bike got stolen. I can't tell how happy I was. Seriously, it sounds mean, pathetic and all the other things but I felt soooooo happy. Unfortunately he found his bike somehow but still, I was happy for a few days.

Long story short, I love scum who steal bikes. I'm sorry for your loss but I love them.

Homer
01-07-2007, 04:26 PM
I got a W49 skateboard worth 200 one Christmas I think 3 or 4 years ago, and during that summer I was just starting to use it. The family and I went camping to a camp ground that has a huge hill with pavement on it, so I decided to take it. Well, that skateboard got stolen and from since then I had to deal with a shitty Superstore skateboard worth 20 bucks for 3 years until I bought a new one this past summer.

Bazza
01-07-2007, 04:30 PM
Killer Queen: I can see your point, and fair enough. I guess a lot of girls are like that when they wanna get their guy!

Homer: I emphsise with you. It isn't great having something very valuable taken from you, then having to put up with nothing (or something very cheap/crap compared with what you had).

Lodat225
01-07-2007, 04:37 PM
Somebody stoled my skateboard twice about two years ago, if that counts... and it sucked.

JoY
01-07-2007, 04:48 PM
one unfortunate evening, at a party, yes.

my evening hadn't been entirely swell; I lost a designer earring, that wasn't only mighty expensive, but that meant a lot to me & that was part of the prettiest set of earrings I've ever worn. (besides those I got for Christmas, of course) not only this, but I had broken my leg not too long before the party, so I'd taken diclofenac (strong painkiller), because I had to serve behind the bar for a good couple of hours & was planning on dancing all night, despite the painful leg. then I forgot I'd taken a large dose diclofenac, drank four beers & vomited blood for a good hour. the stomach pains & the way my entire body suddenly decided to shut itself off was incredibly uncomfortable.

THEN, on top of all of this, when I went home as one of the last ones at the party (& it was a party of 3000+ people), I discovered not only my new superhot (& luckily cheap) coat had been stolen from the SECURED wardrobe, but also my NEW bag, that carried my phone, my gloves, keys to my bike, keys to my house, schedule/agenda, DIESEL wallet (& that one WAS expensive like hell & beautiful on top), which had my bank card, public transportation card, money.. E-VE-RY-THING in it.

now the good part begins; I go outside, pretty desperate without a fucking clue what to do & where to go, & it freaking RAINS. so I have NO coat (only a tinsywinsy t-shirt covering my bod, because I was at a partay), NO keys to my bike, so NO bike, NO keys to my home, so NO home, NO public transportation card, so NO transportation, NO money, NO phone, NO addresses/phonenumbers.... I stood there for at least half an hour, in the rain, clueless. desasters somehow always happen to me when it rains, so no way, Garbage, that I am happy when it rains.

eventually I reached a friend (who also was at the party, but already had gone to bed ages ago, which underlines the time it must've been), who paid for my cab. I crashed at her place, sneaked into a subway the next day for transportation to university (had an important practical class), I borrowed a coat from her (it was cold & I had no coat anymore), used her cellphone.. oh, that night & the next day I owed her a million bucks, because I was so freaking helpless. & then getting everything in order with the police & getting them to cut open your bike & shit... it was hell. not to mention I watched the security tape for over FIVE hours without any result, because it was too blurry, shaky, vague & if I would've recognised the thief, no one would've been able to identify her anyway. (seeing she kept my bag & coat & brought several things that were inside my bag back to the police over a week later, I am sure it was a "she")

Lodat225
01-07-2007, 04:49 PM
Ok, I'm not one to rant and rave, however I return from home back to univeristy to find some scum has stolen my bike. Now you may say it's only a bike, not worth much, but to me it had lots of value. I got it about 8years ago and it has served me well.

What really annoys me is the fact that someone has gone to the effort of climbing over a fence, taking a pair of bolt cutters to the lock and running off (after carrying it over the fence) with my bike. Now I'm without my beloved bike (probably only worth a tenner now), I'll have to walk or drive to lectures (depriving me of exercise) and will have to replace my stolen property (something that will cost me in excess of 150, which I don't have).

Has anything like this happened to you, and what do you think of scum who believe they can take what isn't theirs?

Wait. How old are you? A bike?

0r4ng3
01-07-2007, 04:54 PM
In most countries, people ride bikes at any age. Americans just have a car fetish.

And yeah, I have a theft story, but I don't want to derail the thread anymore than it already is.

JoY
01-07-2007, 04:58 PM
also, my latest bike, Oscar, was stolen here in Amsterdam. it was a yellow bike with black stars & it was the bomb. my friends had painted it when I was sick & I loved it fucking deeply. I'd brought it with me when I moved out & went to Amsterdam for uni & called it Oscar after a first encounter in Amsterdam. it still furiates me the damn thing is gone. but my friend, who used it that night, forgot to lock it & since it's not uncommon bikes are stolen in Amsterdam (actually, it's rather common), it wasn't at all surprising. very, very painful though. I'm unable to love my new bike, Olga, (stupid, dysfunctional, handicapped thing) in the same way.

long story short; I feel your pain. your belongings are personal. you picked it out, paid for it, or got it as a present.. everything with care & love, for personal reasons, because you needed it, or liked it, or whatever. I used to shoplift sometimes in my rebellious years, justifying it saying I stole nothing personal. these days I don't feel peachy about ever haven stolen anything, but one thing I still agree on with myself; at least I never stole personal properties/possessions. that seriously sickens me to no end.

Bazza
01-07-2007, 05:04 PM
Joy: My loss almost pales into insignificance compared to your story. This sort of person really irritates me though. I spend a lot of my time working hard in an honest part-time job to get what I want, whereas some lowlife takes what isn't theirs to gain things they want. They laze around and don't know the meaning of working hard for the things they want, it makes you wonder what makes them able to sleep at night.

Lodat: I'm 19, I have a car (as stated) but I still ride my bike, because it's good exercise.

JoY
01-07-2007, 05:07 PM
Wait. How old are you? A bike?

I am 22 & don't have a car, wouldn't have a car, don't consider taking a car. not now, not at this age, not in this stage of my life. a) both buying & maintaining a car would be much much too expensivo. b) in Amsterdam you either can't park your car, or it costs you over five euros per hour. not to mention the streets are mighty narrow. c) about everything here is within reasonable reach by bike, except some things you can very easily reach by subway/bus/tram.

a car is sometimes just outright unpractical. people showing how big their dicks are & how much money daddy earns by taking a car at the earliest age possible are dumb. no way around it. you should buy it for practical reasons & practical reasons only. & if they're overruled by downsides, I don't see why on earth you should go out to buy one anyway, because we're talking about a CAR & you have reached the age that you may drive one. everyone reaches that age, it's no accomplishment, let it go, if you can't, you're mentally two years old.

Bazza
01-07-2007, 05:13 PM
I understand the whole getting a car issue. I know many people who's mummy and daddy got them a very expensive car for no reason. However I worked hard for mine, and it's not the best in the world, but get's me from A to B. I would be absolutely devestated if anything happened to my car (ie got stolen).

Joy: I like the fact that you name your bikes. It seems like an odd concept to me, however I guess it personalises it a lot. And I totally agree with the whole stealing personnal items is very wrong, it just doesn't make any sense and lowers oneself on so many levels.

Betty
01-07-2007, 05:19 PM
I live in the bike theft capital of Canada I believe so it's a really big issue here. A lot of people bike for transportation and for recreation... you will witness a lot of spandex on any given day.

The week I moved here my new roommate had offered me a bike that was her old roommates. That same week somebody decided to steal the back tire off of it while damaging the frame.

I have a new bike now and it's not worth very much (maybe $200 with accessories), but it's just a pain in the ass to have to replace everything.

JoY
01-07-2007, 05:30 PM
I'm offered a bike every now & then here in Amsterdam by some junk, who stole it the minute before. one time I saw someone being caught & arrested for buying something stolen & that didn't go nicely, so I don't find it an option to buy something stolen, period. there are some great bikes that go around in that scene, though. any bike must be better than the one I have now. Olga has only one brake, no lights (& it always takes many charms to convince police officers not to give me a ticket for that), the front wheel is crooked as hell, the thing you place your foot on constantly hits against the chain, causing it to come loose all the time...

in my street there used to be some gang active that stole bikes. not surprising, since there's a methadon junky meeting point near our house. in the first month I moved to this place two of my roommates' bikes were stolen, my boyfriend's, my uncle's & my house owner's. everyone uses bikes for transportation in the Netherlands. our country's so damn small, those things will get you about anywhere you want. so many bikes create so many thieves & especially in Amsterdam. it's just good business for drug addicts.

Bazza; I'm not very careful with material, unless I attach myself to it some way or the other. Oscar was easy to get emotionally attached to. it was one decent bike, but it looked so terrible, no one would steal it if it was on one chain (that's a gigantic risk factor in Amsterdam; every decent bike locked with a single chain is stolen within hours). I can't express how terrible it looked & how fantastic the quality of that thing was. it was marvellous. Olga I named just so I wouldn't trash it within the first week & because it looks great, but is of such terrible quality, riding it is a nightmare. so I gave it a name I find hideous. & so I would somehow get attached to it, so I'd still cherish it a little & be a little careful with it.

Linda
01-07-2007, 08:55 PM
I sympathise with all of you. I've had 2 cd players stolen from 2 different cars in the past. What a horrible feeling it is to go to your car to go to work and find your window broken and cd player missing. Bastards! They need to get honest jobs and leave other people's property alone. :mad:

darea
01-08-2007, 06:25 PM
maybe the guy stole the bike just because he was willing to annoy you and didnt even care about the bike, maybe it was someone you knew?

Bazza
01-08-2007, 06:33 PM
I seriously doubt it, the are far easier ways for me people to annoy me if they really wanted to. It wouldn't be anyone I know, they're all far too genuine. It'll be some chav scum, lets face it it's Nottingham after all I should have known better than to leave my bike locked outside over the christmas holidays.

Lodat225
01-08-2007, 06:34 PM
Yeah, but it was locked. Who would've known someone would take the time and effort to steal your bike.

Bazza
01-08-2007, 06:40 PM
I live on a road of student houses, everyone goes home over the holidays, ie there'd be nobody around to see it happen. Essentially the scum know this and that's when thefts increase.

darea
01-08-2007, 06:45 PM
well if you are in lenton I was told there was a lot of theft going on over there....

Bazza
01-08-2007, 06:49 PM
kimbolton avenue, at the top of Lenton is the most burgled road in the country, so yeah I guess there is a lot of theft. But it really isn't all that bad, just don't leave windows open if you're going out etc.

Zack
01-08-2007, 07:16 PM
yeah someone stole my Master of Puppets cd it pissed me off....

darea
01-09-2007, 03:36 AM
yeah Im okay anyway because Im at the first floor, at broadgate

Llamas
01-09-2007, 03:42 AM
I have a car. My two main methods of transportation are bus and bike.
I drive:
to the grocery store, because I buy too much at once to take on a bus.
to my "home" in wisconsin, because it's 5 hours away.
when I am meeting someone out of the city, or have to go somewhere out of the city.

I bike:
to work
to school, both of which are because there is no parking on campus, unless you want to pay $200 a month for a spot, and I live over a mile away, and am too lazy to walk.

I bus:
to my internship downtown, and anything that takes more than 15 minutes to bike.

Anyway, my bike got taken, too Bazza! Only... mine wasn't stolen... the University took it!! They removed an ENTIRE BIKE RACK, which my bike was on!! :( I don't even know where it is... My bike isn't worth a ton, either, but it sucks SO MUCH to not have it.

Bazza
01-09-2007, 04:47 AM
Lllamas: At least you know possibly where your bike has gone, but then that does suck turning up to find that, I can imagine the wtf moment as you notice that the whole rack has gone.

Darea: I was on the ground floor at BGP, I nevered opened my window or curtains, just so nobody could look in and see what I had (a guy round the corner had his laptop stolen because someone saw it on the desk and smashed the window). If you see anyone riding round in Notts on the bike shown below then knock them off it for me!

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o320/bazza1987/100702bikeii.jpg

darea
01-09-2007, 05:24 AM
Hey that bike really looks familiar, this morning I saw someone riding a bike and I thought "hey maybe that's bazza's bike" it was a black one lol but maybe not this one, anyway I will look out for it but Im not gonna start bashing everyone with black bikes and what if they take the stickers off and change parts of the bike so its not recognizable? if they were so inspired by jumping over your wall to get your bike they might want to make it even more annoying for you to find it...

but okay I will look out

Bazza
01-09-2007, 05:30 AM
Hehe, they'd have to change shit loads on it anyway. The front brakes weren't working, gear changes were a bit dodgy and the pedal had a tendendcy to fall off every so often. I have images of whoever took it falling off or crashing when they reached the end of my street!

And yeah it probably isn't a good idea to go round knocking people off bikes it Notts, you never know what they might turn round and do!

ninthlayer
01-09-2007, 06:07 AM
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o320/bazza1987/100702bikeii.jpg
Is that a Huffy?

Bazza
01-09-2007, 06:10 AM
Nah, just an Apollo (a not so brilliant brand, sold in large numbers at Halfords across the country).

Paint_It_Black
01-09-2007, 07:51 AM
I expected this thread to be autobiographical.

T-6005
01-09-2007, 10:17 AM
yeah someone stole my Master of Puppets cd it pissed me off....
oh em gee man share your woes.