PDA

View Full Version : Board games

Llamas
01-08-2007, 02:19 PM
I just wanted to say that the following games are awesome, no matter what jesse says:

monopoly
life
scrabble
crossfire!
kerplunk!
hangman
risk
twister (if you can count that as a board game!)

Bazza
01-08-2007, 02:21 PM
Hangman a board game?

Moving over from other thread; Hotel is a legendary game.

Anyone heard of frustration?

0r4ng3
What's the deal with misunderstanding me today? I didn't say that all board games are stupid, just a lot of them. Geez.

In fact, all of the ones you mentioned are favorites of mine.

Nina
I have to add Hotel.

Also, Twister is really unfunny when the people who you play it with dont approve of ass-grabbing.

Has anyone ever played Activity? No idea if it's a big thing in other countries. I really like that game too, though I have only played it once so far.

JohnnyNemesis
I love you for this thread. I'm a dorky board game fiend.

I'm a million percent obsessed with Scrabble, but I'm also a huge fan of Monopoly IF played with the right crowd.

I remember the commercials for Crossfire!

Crossfire!
You've been caught up in thaaaa, Crossfire!
Crossfire!
Crossfire!
CROSSFIYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

And they had kids in tight leather jackets playing the game...oh man, my childhood.

I think Life is an exceptionally bad board game though, and Sorry! is an okay one.

Oh, and underground hit: Settlers of Catan. FUCKING AWESOME!!!

Nina
01-08-2007, 02:23 PM
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I REALLY need to know what this game is called in English:

http://www.ph-heidelberg.de/wp/filler/lv-alt/compgraf/erg-stud04/Lipp+Hainbuch-MenschAerger.jpg

Bazza
01-08-2007, 02:25 PM
http://www.scotch-corner.co.uk/games-shop/catalogue/images/frustration.jpg
A classic.

I think a lot of games are renamed in other countries, so probably played a lot similar, but just don't recognise the names.

WebDudette
01-08-2007, 02:25 PM
Risk
Stratego
Axis & Allies
Scrabble
Monopoly
Pokemon Adventure Game
and my all time favorite Chess.

JohnnyNemesis
01-08-2007, 02:26 PM
http://www.scotch-corner.co.uk/games-shop/catalogue/images/frustration.jpg
A classic.

I think a lot of games are renamed in other countries, so probably played a lot similar, but just don't recognise the names.

That one is called Trouble over here. I've always thought it was a pretty lame one, but it's actually quite popular.

I love Chess too.

Llamas
01-08-2007, 02:27 PM
Hangman a board game?

Moving over from other thread; Hotel is a legendary game.

Anyone heard of frustration?

Hangman counts! Whatever!
Never heard of Hotel.
Frusteration... which one is that?

I have to add Hotel.

Also, Twister is really unfunny when the people who you play it with dont approve of ass-grabbing.

Has anyone ever played Activity? No idea if it's a big thing in other countries. I really like that game too, though I have only played it once so far.
Never heard of Hotel, again...
Twister is always funny! Especially when drunk. But sometimes ass-grabbing has to be ruled out, depending on who is playing...
Also never heard of Activity.

I love you for this thread.
I already loved you before this thread. :(

I'm a dorky board game fiend.
Obviously, connect four NERD!

I'm a million percent obsessed with Scrabble, but I'm also a huge fan of Monopoly IF played with the right crowd.

I remember the commercials for Crossfire!

Crossfire!
You've been caught up in thaaaa, Crossfire!
Crossfire!
Crossfire!
CROSSFIYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

And they had kids in tight leather jackets playing the game...oh man, my childhood.

I think Life is an exceptionally bad board game though, and Sorry! is an okay one.

Oh, and underground hit: Settlers of Catan. FUCKING AWESOME!!!

Crossfire = GOLD. And the commercials... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIHmDDOsUwc
...with the super awesome music and LIGHTNING!!

And Life rocks. And I forgot Sorry!

And I wanted to mention Settlers of Catan, but I couldn't remember the name... and I didn't think anyone here had heard of it. But omg LOVE that game!

Bazza
01-08-2007, 02:27 PM
It's not the best, but it's damn addictive.

Anyone like Boggle?

JohnnyNemesis
01-08-2007, 02:29 PM
Obviously, connect four NERD!

lol, truths!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIHmDDOsUwc

Marry. Me. NOW NOW NOW.

Rag Doll
01-08-2007, 02:29 PM
i hate scrabble. mainly because i suck at it. but i hate it.

love monopoly though. monopo1337!

Nina
01-08-2007, 02:30 PM
Dont break my heart, pplz! I have to know what that one game is called.

killer_queen
01-08-2007, 02:31 PM
Nina, it's sorry I believe.

I love board games too but I kind of get angry when I don't win and it taks all the fun of it. I stopped doing it, though so don't worry if I meet one of you one day.

And I want to play twister with Ricky. I want it sooooo bad.

JohnnyNemesis
01-08-2007, 02:32 PM
And I want to play twister with Ricky. I want it sooooo bad.

*megablush*

Bazza
01-08-2007, 02:32 PM
Nina: your game looks a lot like frustration, what do the german words mean (I'm not too hot on german) are they colours by any chance?

Llamas
01-08-2007, 02:33 PM
http://www.ph-heidelberg.de/wp/filler/lv-alt/compgraf/erg-stud04/Lipp+Hainbuch-MenschAerger.jpg

That's not Sorry!, Gulsah. I've never seen it before, and I have no idea what it's called.

And it's definitely not frusteration.

Apathy
01-08-2007, 02:33 PM
Nina: The Game you posted is 'Sorry!'

edit: I guess I lose.
edit2: It'd definitely 'Sorry'. Llamas loses.

WebDudette
01-08-2007, 02:34 PM
It looks like it could very well be a variation of Sorry!. With the colored strips and the 'home' area.

Nina
Hmm, so is it Sorry or not? llamas really confused me ;P

The German words mean "Dont get Angry" or "Dont get frustrated", haha. That's also what it's called in German.

0r4ng3
I think that's "Sorry!"

http://www.reynolds-s-a.freeserve.co.uk/sorry.jpg

Or, maybe not.

Nina
01-08-2007, 02:36 PM
^ so weird looking!

Yeah, by how I am guessing the rules of "Sorry!" I think "Mensch Ärger Dich Nicht" is the very common German variation of it. We dont have cards and the place where the little guys start is outside the field. You have to dice a 6 first in order to get out and get started.

killer_queen
01-08-2007, 02:39 PM

The German words mean "Dont get Angry" or "Dont get frustrated", haha. That's also what it's called in German.

It's the same in Turkish! Yay fo being the same!

llamas is nuts. Don't listen to her. she told me that she escaped from a mental hospital.

WebDudette
01-08-2007, 02:41 PM
Yeah, nina that sounds very similar to Sorry!. Then you have to get your pieces to the top of there colored strip and the first to do it with all there pieces wins?

Nina
01-08-2007, 02:42 PM
Yeah, except they dont only have to get into the "home field"...there are four fields in our version, and the four little guys have to stand on one field each by the end.

Bazza
01-08-2007, 02:42 PM
What are the cards for?

Nina
01-08-2007, 02:43 PM
Yeah, I ask myself the same thing! Cant imagine that game with cards.

JohnnyNemesis
01-08-2007, 02:45 PM
The cards tell you what move to make and when, and you have to do what they say. It might be slightly different, but it looks closest to Sorry!

Bazza
01-08-2007, 02:47 PM
Then it seems like it's frustration, just roll the die and get a six to start.

Nina
01-08-2007, 02:48 PM
The cards tell you what move to make and when, and you have to do what they say. It might be slightly different, but it looks closest to Sorry!

...no dice?

JohnnyNemesis
01-08-2007, 02:49 PM
Nope, no dice......

Bazza
01-08-2007, 02:50 PM
Nina, I can guarantee you that it's frustration (even the part german translation is similar).

Nina
01-08-2007, 02:50 PM
I wonder which game came first. It now does sound like the version I know is simpler and could therefore be the "first" version? I dunno.

Llamas
01-08-2007, 02:54 PM
Bazza, in frustration, isn't there the little plastic ball in the middle of the board? It's not frustration.

I guess it could be Sorry!... the board doesn't look like it makes sense for that game, though.

the_GoDdEsS
01-08-2007, 02:55 PM

We have the exactly same one with the same name as in German. We used to play it when we were real small.

Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mensch_argere_dich_nicht

Bazza
Yeah frustration does have that, however there's nothing to say you can't use just a normal die, and roll it on the floor.

Llamas
PS:

llamas is nuts. Don't listen to her. she told me that she escaped from a mental hospital.

BITCH! No cheese - or sex! - for you!

Llamas
01-08-2007, 02:56 PM
Yeah frustration does have that, however there's nothing to say you can't use just a normal die, and roll it on the floor.

Which makes it more similar to Sorry! than trouble/frustration.

Nina
01-08-2007, 02:57 PM
So, does Frustration have a ball that has a die in it and you have to press the ball so it moves? Cause that's the Persian version as well, hahahha.

Lodat225
01-08-2007, 02:58 PM
The only board games i've enjoyed are Monopoly and Hotel.

Bazza
01-08-2007, 02:58 PM
But sorry uses cards and not a die. So surely it's more like frustration?

Other than that they are very similar I guess.

Llamas
01-08-2007, 03:02 PM
Trouble/frustration:
http://images.hasbro.com/common/images/products/04658_imageMain400.jpg

Sorry!:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/4b/Sorry_in_progress.jpeg/180px-Sorry_in_progress.jpeg

It would depend on what the rules are in order to determine which game it's more like. You can't just base it on whether it uses dice or cards. The board itself looks *more* like the sorry board than the trouble board.

Nina
01-08-2007, 03:05 PM
Ooohh. after seeing the Trouble board I am very convinced that Mensch Ärger Dich Nicht is more like Trouble/Frustration than Sorry!. Because it looks exactly like the Persian version of it all, and that one goes by the Mensch Ärger Dich Nicht rules.
I feel very satisfied with that answer. thx guys.

Bazza
01-08-2007, 03:06 PM
But the principle is the same in both games, moving 4pieces from a home base all the way around the board to a safe base (I'm guessing that's what happens in sorry?).

darea
01-08-2007, 03:16 PM
I used to play sorry ages ago, another game I used to play is "carreers" and one game I found awesome was the mysteries of peking, it was a sort of cluedo but with cards and witnesses and more story, so better than cluedo

http://img.2xmoinscher.com/DATA/imgperso/794258_MISC_63071_1.JPG

http://images.ciao.com/ifr/images/products/normal/455/MB_Les_mysteres_de_Pekin__82455.jpg

wheelchairman
01-08-2007, 03:56 PM
Played Hotel! It's awesome!

Bazza
01-08-2007, 03:58 PM
It's such an old game, me and my sister found it in our grandparents attic when we were younger.

Llamas
01-08-2007, 04:07 PM
OMG I haven't played Cluedo since german class in highschool! Nobody here has heard of it. :(

Bazza
01-08-2007, 04:09 PM
Mrs White with the rope in the Ballroom, I do believe...

Llamas
01-08-2007, 04:13 PM
oh wtf, I just realized that cluedo is just clue... we played something in highschool german class that was called "cluedo" but there were videos and stuff involved... hm.

WebDudette
01-08-2007, 04:13 PM
So I did. Clue is awesome too, I really liked playing it when I was littler.

Llamas
01-08-2007, 04:17 PM
You posted at the same time as me. :p

Harnum
01-08-2007, 04:38 PM
Guess Who FTW! That and Risk! can't be beat =]

Llamas
01-08-2007, 10:57 PM
I miss Guess Who... that is a wonderful game.

Paint_It_Black
01-09-2007, 06:57 AM
Risk, Axis and Allies, A Game of Thrones...all somewhat similar games. I generally like anything resembling these type of games, you know, you have a map and little dudes with weapons and pwn other little dudes with weapons. I love strategy games.

A friend of mine has a Dracula board game that was surprisingly fun.

And of course I, like any respectable person, enjoy monopoly.

And Scrabble.

I'll pretty much happily play any board game that isn't solely intended for kids, or solely based on luck.