PDA

View Full Version : help computer :[

sKratch
01-12-2007, 01:45 PM
So my computer is fux0red. First I'll say that I'm rather computer savvy, and I think I have a fairly serious problem.
Specs:
AMD Athlon 64 3200+
Abit KN8 Ultra mobo
sapphire x850 xt pro
2ghz DDRAM
1xEIDE hard drive
2xSATA hard drives
Windows XP SP2

Symptoms:
In windows, certain applications sometimes seem to crash and be unterminatable (i made up a cool word there huh?). For instance, I will close firefox, but firefox.exe is still listed as a running process which I am unable to end in task manager. I then can no longer open firefox, I guess because my computer thinks it's already running or something... Similarly, I tried to run Battlefield 2 and the splash screen came up and hung up, and I was unable to end BF2.exe. This lead to my inability to properly shut down my computer, because windows was no better at ending those processes than I was, so I had to use the 'ol hard reboot using the button. Now, I can't even get windows to boot*, and have even had little success getting it to boot in safe mode (worked fine at first, but now it doesn't... wtf). I even did a system restore to more than a month ago and nothing got better. So now I'm booted off the XP cd and I ran chkdsk, which told me one or more errors were found on the main volume. Thanks check disk! Mind telling me what they are? As we speak, I'm running chkdsk /p /r which attempts to recover bad sectors. The going is slow, so I'll see what happens. I'd really like to avoid reformatting, so if anyone has any advice, hit me up.

*To be more verbose, I can get to the black loading screen for WinXP, and the progress bar keeps moving but after several seconds the hard drive in-use LED turns off. The bar keeps moving, but I don't know what could be happening because the hard drive no longer appears to be in use. I let it go on for about 15 minutes before rebooting the computer.

RickyCrack
01-12-2007, 02:19 PM
Did you just get these parts and such?

I'm guessing these are new problems with an already existing box, but if I had to guess off the top of my head it could be.

1) A scratch on the hard-drive disk (after a re-read of your problems, this is probably the most likely scenario)
2) Bad memory drives
3) incompatable elecricity specs ( this is only viable though if you just added new parts )
4) shortfused drives. (this happens if a drive or hardware piece inside the box comes into contact with static electricity. This would cause it to act maliciously or not at all.)

These are just guesses off the top of my head. It dosn't sound like a virus or malicious software. The software problems sound like a Memory problem, but the computer not starting sounds like a hard-drive problem. My best guesses are Bad Memory sticks, or a problem with the hard-drive disk.

Jebus
01-12-2007, 03:28 PM
Possible heat issues? If you overclocked your processor, then put it back to normal. Also if you have any spare memory sticks, try booting up with those. If the problem is still there, then it's probably not a memory issue.

Also, do you happen to have any live linux CDs? If you manage to boot up using something like knoppix, then it's probably a problem with your hard drive.

Oxygene
01-12-2007, 04:04 PM
I think you should put your harddrive into an external rack and connect it to a different computer (preferrably not a windows in case you did get some supervirus altho it's very unlikely but still try using a mac or linux machine), and copy your files (or what you can) and after that try fixing it with some disk doctoring utilty, you might only lose a few files which aren't that important...but if windows is dicking around that much, their might be some system files which got trashed, but since you did the restore thing theoretically that shouldn't be a problem, but with windows you never know... if there are no problems what so ever booting off of a different drive (your cd) then memory/overclocking etc. problems are most likely out, and it is some sort of harddrive issue..
If your data is very valuable (like super important worth all the money in the world) you can probably get it restored by these guys even if the hard drive is totally fucked http://www.kurt.hu select english in the upper right corner of the language drop down menu.. but these guys are super expensive, they do data recovery for some high profile clients like the FBI and Saudi oil billionares and shit, but they get the job done for a hefty price.
Oh and you can also try hirens boot cd that has lotsa usefull apps which could help you out
link (http://thepiratebay.org/tor/3587762/Hiren_s_BootCD_v8.7_incl._keyboard_patch)

Lodat225
01-12-2007, 04:07 PM
http://offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21404

JohnnyNemesis
01-12-2007, 04:19 PM
Oh shit, modpwn!

Endymion
01-12-2007, 04:39 PM
my first move is to do what jebus said -- load a different OS, that way you know if it's a hardware or a software issue.

the recovery you're doing right now has a good shot of working. also, make sure your hard drive is keeping cool. hot drives = hella bad.

also, it could be the ram. most linux livecds come with memtest86.

0r4ng3
01-12-2007, 08:24 PM
http://offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21404
Fuck that, nothing ever gets done in that thread.

sKratch
01-13-2007, 12:30 PM
I'm pretty sure my hard drive is dead. I tried to boot windows, and it got to the point right before the login screen, at which point I got a BSOD and auto-reboot. Right now I've got it in safe mode and I'm backing up a couple of things. I'm gonna try out XP x64!
I'm also torn by this:
My two remaining hard drives are a 400gb and a 300gb. The 400gb is basically brand new and barely has anything on it. The 300gb is a little bit older, and is almost full. I'd like to have windows on the smaller volume (300gb) but that would require an assload of data transfer. Both are SATA300. Is it really a big difference to have windows on the 400gb volume? It would save me a shit-ton of work... And I could split it into partitions, but I hate partitions for some reason.

Oxygene
01-13-2007, 02:30 PM
If I still used windows I'd put it on a 20 gig partition, I feel safer when the viruses are isolated on a seperate part of the disk :)

F@ BANKZ
01-13-2007, 02:35 PM
If your hard drive is dead don't try to fix it becase it will rarely work, just gt a whole new one like i did otherwise you go whole days without exerciseing your fingers.

Szandi
09-13-2007, 07:55 PM
my PC send a lot of side...( spyware alert,ultimate defender)
and no virus on the PC.

Endymion
09-13-2007, 09:31 PM
english would be a good thing to learn.

also, why the fuck did you bump this thread?