PDA

View Full Version : Do You Wear Headphones At Work?

wheelchairman
01-13-2007, 02:51 PM
This question is inspired by the best song from Little Miss 1565's Mix Tape (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LJ9YTYS0).

And it got me thinking, do you wear headphones at work? How do you fit it in with work?

In my case, I listen to my mp3 player. But only with one headphone. I'm a picker/packer in a warehouse and my job is incredibly boring. Especially when the Day-order rushes are over and packed. But I can only wear one headphone because we have forklifts all over the place usually. And the drivers tend to be fast, and while I've never witnessed an accident, it wouldn't surprise me.

Also one idiot stuck his arm in the conveyor belt for no reason. This isn't relevant. But I still hate the guy, he makes me feel simply unsafe. That kind of stupidity.

DeAtHsTaR
01-13-2007, 02:55 PM
Don't have a job, but I listen to them at school.

JohnnyNemesis
01-13-2007, 02:58 PM
Yes, definitely. I have a temporary job where I file thousands of sheets of paper a day, so my boss always tells me to make sure I bring my headphones because it gets boring as hell. She tells me that if she needs me for anything, she'll tap me on the shoulder to tell me.

One of my regular jobs, at least until I graduate, is as the desk attendant at the campus Art Library, so I wear headphones there too, and just remove them if I see someone needs help from me or anything.

Endymion
01-13-2007, 03:02 PM
i usually hook my ipod up to some computer speakers and fill the lab with endy jams.

Stranger With Candy
01-13-2007, 03:18 PM
I dont need too. I work in a CD/DVD shop and we play music in the store.

the_GoDdEsS
01-13-2007, 03:21 PM
At work it was impossible and to/from work I've done on a few occasions.

F@ BANKZ
01-13-2007, 03:22 PM
If my job at the moment is school/poker then my answer is yes/no

Linda
01-13-2007, 03:35 PM
I take my iPod to work everyday, but I don't listen to it unless I start getting annoyed by someone, which isn't very often lately.

mrconeman
01-13-2007, 03:51 PM
Well, I don't have a job. But I bring my MP3 player to school, I walk to school so I always have it on when I'm walking there. During free classes when I have to study I usually have one headphone in.

Never use it during class though.

Lodat225
01-13-2007, 03:52 PM
I just recently bought a Zune. It's a thousand times better than an iPod.

JohnnyNemesis
01-13-2007, 03:59 PM
I just recently bought a Zune.

lololololololololololol (http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2007/20070103.jpg)

Lodat225
01-13-2007, 04:04 PM
Yeah, i saw that but after i tested it out on EbGames i decided to buy one.

killer_queen
01-13-2007, 04:06 PM
I don't know why but now I strangely wonder if MarkBryan wears headphones while he's cleaning the dishes at Gusto's(or whatever it is).

And I don't have a job. Even if I had one I wouldn't. I hate feeling isolated from the others. Whenever I wear headphones I feel like someone is calling me and I'm not hearing him/her.

Rag Doll
01-13-2007, 04:07 PM
it depends. there are certain times of the year when i am only allowed to work *with* headphones, because i do so much of the inventory and pricing for the store...the owner doesnt want people bothering me. however, it's currently impossible to use headphones cause i'm doing so much of the manager stuff.

i do get to hook my ipod up to the store soundsystem and let the entire store listen to my music though. =)

The Talking Pie
01-13-2007, 04:36 PM
Can't work in a law firm with headphones. Unfortunately. However, there are sometimes tedious bus journeys on the way.

Little_Miss_1565
01-13-2007, 08:25 PM
LOL, I saw the subject line and said to myself "hey, that's like my favorite J+J+J song!" I knew it couldn't be a coincidence. ;)

I work in the music industry so it's my job to listen to records. Hence, the headphones. I'm chained to a computer all day long anyway. It's Howard Stern in the morning, and rekkids all afternoon.

Camilamazed
01-13-2007, 09:07 PM
I work in the music industry so it's my job to listen to records. Hence, the headphones. I'm chained to a computer all day long anyway. It's Howard Stern in the morning, and rekkids all afternoon.

I envy you.

Well, I do not use headphones because I give classes, but during breaks, I listen to music through the DVD player while preparing my classes and correcting my students lessons.

nieh
01-13-2007, 10:00 PM
I work in a call center and have to wear a headset for that so I can't use headphones. We are allowed to listen to music on a radio or our computer though. I normally bring in a bunch of cds and have them on in the background but it's rare that the phones are quiet enough for me to really pay much attention to it.

ninthlayer
01-13-2007, 11:54 PM
Generally I'll hook my Micro up to the computer speakers at work, but it went all "lololo!" and fucking died tonight. tymen4ipodbuyn.

Betty
01-14-2007, 12:33 AM
When I'm in the office and want to drown out everybody's talking, then yes.

Also, the post doc that works in our lab chews incredibly loudly. Seriously, he's the most obnoxious and digusting chewer I have ever heard. And he talks to himself when he types and he always makes other weird sounds. Therefore, whenever he cracks out the lunch I have to wear headphones to not go mad.

ninthlayer
01-14-2007, 01:19 AM
Generally I'll hook my Micro up to the computer speakers at work, but it went all "lololo!" and fucking died tonight. tymen4ipodbuyn.
Self quote, lololo.

It's working now.
You said there would not be any reason to fear this world, but you're the reason! But you're the reason I feel broken and branded and burning with doubt. These things are dealt in increments!

lololo, i r gay inside.

Marco
01-14-2007, 02:40 AM
I listen to music at school sometimes, during boring or useless lessons and breaktime.

Little_Miss_1565
01-14-2007, 11:14 AM
lololo, i r gay inside.

You're gay outside, too. lolololol buttsex

offspring dude
01-14-2007, 12:03 PM
I listen to my iPod on the long as hell bus jouney to school and sometimes in R.F (religious formation) because otherwise i'd fall asleep and that wouldn't be good.

Bazza
01-14-2007, 01:01 PM
Working in a supermarket I can't listen to music, it's just plain rude to the customers. I normally only listen to my mp3 player on the way to/from lectures. Although in one module me and my mate watched films on his video ipod!
Other than that I hook it up to the car speakers for long journeys.

noodlesfan
01-14-2007, 04:53 PM
two of my teachers at school will let people get away with it if the student is listening to a band that they like, and my long hair conceals the little white earbuds while I tap my feet to some music that will get my mind churning (Frank Zappa)

Bazza
01-14-2007, 04:57 PM
My dad's a teacher and plays ACDC to his students during their lessons!

JohnnyNemesis
01-14-2007, 04:59 PM
^AC/DC? That's child abuse :(

Bazza
01-14-2007, 05:02 PM
^AC/DC? That's child abuse :(

Hehe, well he's never inflicted it on me, I got Abba instead!
Parents have seriously messed up musical tastes.

sKratch
01-14-2007, 05:20 PM
i usually hook my ipod up to some computer speakers and fill the lab with endy jams.

omg wtf you should just use linux instead

Endymion
01-14-2007, 05:38 PM
omg wtf you should just use linux instead

buh ?

Llamas
01-14-2007, 05:55 PM
I often bring in cds to work and play them for everyone. I used headphones in the summer when I still had my Zen.

ninthlayer
01-14-2007, 11:39 PM
You're gay outside, too. lolololol buttsex
I'm really just shy, srsly. No, really, srsly.

neocon58
01-14-2007, 11:57 PM
I would get fired if I wore headphones at work.

wheelchairman
01-15-2007, 01:24 AM
You know what is absolutely retarded? Half the people who replied changed SCHOOL into WORK just so they could tell us that they listen to music in class when they are bored.

1. That's not hardcore. kids have been doing that since the walkman (the cassette player, not the phone.)
2. School is not a job.
3. No one cares about your school.

I want to know about people's jobs. Since fuck, you do things at job other than sitting and listening. And if you are sitting and listening at work then it's unusual, at least a little bit. Unlike school.

ninthlayer
01-15-2007, 01:26 AM
Since fuck, you do things at job other than sitting and listening.
I don't.

wheelchairman
01-15-2007, 01:29 AM
I don't.

I remembered you Seanykins and added the sentence that came after just for you. <3

ninthlayer
01-15-2007, 01:39 AM
Ah, good call. It's not too shabby when work consists of watching movies, listening to mp3s, and doing homework.

//edit
I read the original post and realized that what I asked had already been answered, gg.

noodlesfan
01-15-2007, 09:31 AM
2. School is not a job.

DRI said that school is a job.

the_GoDdEsS
01-15-2007, 09:54 AM
DRI said that school is a job.

DRI? School is just one of the places where teachers can perform their job. Stop bullshitting. Students are far from being employed.