PDA

View Full Version : Pretty Fly (Word Meanings)

Camilamazed
01-13-2007, 07:51 PM
1) Pretty fly: Just the way people name white people that are into black people style?

2) "But everything he lacks
He makes up in denial":

Does it mean that he doesn't care if he has style or not, he pretends he's doing the right thing?

3) "So, if you don't rate, just overcompensate":

Does this mean people just have to accept him the way he is?

4) Ricki Lake is a hostess for a talkshow, Right?

5) What does 13 mean? Is it related to mafia (As read in urbandictionary)?
Does 31 really mean "turkish symbol for masturbation" (Also read in urban...)?

6) is An ink done tattoo a permanent tattoo or something you can wash away?

Grabbal
01-14-2007, 08:34 AM
[QUOTE=Camilamazed;953123]1)

4) Ricki Lake is a hostess for a talkshow, Right?
QUOTE]

Yeah she is..

Apathy
01-14-2007, 08:39 AM

6) is An ink done tattoo a permanent tattoo or something you can wash away?

5 - This just means that he wanted to get a tattoo of the number 13 because the number 13 and the tattoo guy gave him a 31 instead.
The Number 13 symbolizes bad luck and/or bad in general.
The Number 31 doesn't mean anything. It's just 13 backwards.

6- The song is referring to a permanent tattoo.

F@ BANKZ
01-14-2007, 11:10 AM
2- Basically he kids himself that he has what he doesn't, presumably in attitude terms

ZagmenO
01-14-2007, 01:36 PM
1) Pretty fly: Just the way people name white people that are into black people style?

The term "fly" means cool or awesome.

brothadave79
01-14-2007, 06:58 PM
3) "So, if you don't rate, just overcompensate":

Does this mean people just have to accept him the way he is?

Nah. It means that since he isn't cool enough to start with, he does a lot of stupid things (which are hip in his mind) to try to become more popular. But he ends up trying too hard and it doesn't work.

More generally, overcompensating is when you try to correct a mistake but go too far and mess it up again or more.

Camilamazed
01-15-2007, 07:01 PM
Thank you all guys.

=]

Fat Boy Samsam
01-18-2007, 09:56 AM
I'm sorry Caramalised... but Pretty Fly is soooo shit!

Shame on you for trying to translate the lyrics!

Floyd the Barber
01-18-2007, 12:27 PM
I'm sorry Caramalised...

It's "Camilamazed". :p

F@ BANKZ
01-18-2007, 02:06 PM
I'm sorry Caramalised... but Pretty Fly is soooo shit!

Shame on you for trying to translate the lyrics!

I don't think she's doing it purely because she likes the song, she makes alot of threads for lyric translation.

Fat Boy Samsam
01-19-2007, 01:59 AM
I don't think she's doing it purely because she likes the song, she makes alot of threads for lyric translation.

I just think it is BLOODY STUPID to translate and waste time on the Offpsrings worst song.

Hasn't she got anything better to do????

Enix Belmont
01-19-2007, 04:33 AM
Pretty fly is actually a pretty good song :confused:

Fat Boy Samsam
01-19-2007, 04:46 AM
Pretty fly is actually a pretty good song :confused:

Then YOU are an idiot too!!

Little_Miss_1565
01-19-2007, 05:17 AM
Shut up, Fat Boy, she's working on a translation project.

Iamstupid
01-19-2007, 07:53 AM
Hey, Fat Boy Samsam, if you don't like Pretty Fly, it's your right, but here your opinion isn't asked so shut your mouth...

Zeall
01-19-2007, 07:59 AM
Hey, Fat Boy Samsam, if you don't like Pretty Fly, it's your right, but here your opinion isn't asked so shut your mouth...

i was just about to say something like this too, why do you care if anyone other than you likes it? what does our taste have to do with you? (@ Fat Boy Samsam btw)

Ladnav
01-25-2007, 05:55 PM
This is actually one of my favorite songs. The same probably goes for anyone who knows someone like this. I know I do.

Tonza
01-26-2007, 01:08 PM
I can't understand people who call themselves Offspring "fans" and still they hate some Offspring songs... I like some songs more than others too but yes, I also like the worse ones. They are often also pretty awesome songs compared to some other bands.

adombomb222
01-26-2007, 08:17 PM

Haha, that made me laught. It's a satainic number, kind of like 666. You know like frieday the 13th? its just saying the tatoo artist wrote the number wrong, so it wasn't 13 but 31.

Short_Attention_Span
01-26-2007, 08:32 PM
^ 13? Satanic? I always thought it had something to do with gangs...
________
Bbw sex (http://www.fucktube.com/categories/7/bbw/videos/1)

adombomb222
01-26-2007, 08:56 PM
WEll not satanic at first, just like bad luck and such. but it became more satanic when Firday The 13th came out.

Iamstupid
01-27-2007, 04:37 AM
yeah, 13 is bad luck, because of Jesus. During the Last Supper, before JUdas betray him, they were 13 at table. Jesus and his 12 disciples. And since, supersiticious people think that when we are 13 at table, the first who leaves the table will be the first to dead. For the friday 13 it's because friday is the 13th day (if you count by 2 weeks). Maybe 13 could be satanic, during satanic rituals.

Grabbal
01-27-2007, 04:55 AM
yeah, 13 is bad luck, because of Jesus. During the Last Supper, before JUdas betray him, they were 13 at table. Jesus and his 12 disciples. And since, supersiticious people think that when we are 13 at table, the first who leaves the table will be the first to dead. For the friday 13 it's because friday is the 13th day (if you count by 2 weeks). Maybe 13 could be satanic, during satanic rituals.

christian??

Iamstupid
01-27-2007, 05:00 AM
christian??

Who ? Me ? Before, when I was younger (hum, more younger that today :p) my parents put me in christian lessons, catechism it's the word I think. BUt now I grew up, and I don't believe in God and Jesus anymore

Gayman
01-27-2007, 10:17 AM
I just think it is BLOODY STUPID to translate and waste time on the Offpsrings worst song.

Hasn't she got anything better to do????

You don't have to read these threads you know? And especially reply to them. It seems like you don't have anything better to do - than to insult other people and say how stupid they are.

And it's pointless to start insulting me, because I'm not gonna post in this thread again or to you. And I'm sorry for you other people because you have to read me typing this. I just hate when people insult others in the boards......sorry.

Ladnav
01-27-2007, 12:03 PM
Actually, I heard that the origin of 13's significance (or at least that of Friday the 13th) was from the Middle Ages. It was the Day of a Mass Execution of some sort. I don't exactly remember.

Little_Miss_1565
01-27-2007, 03:05 PM
Read about the cultural significance of the number 13 here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thirteen#As_lucky.2C_unlucky.2C_or_significant_num ber)

Iamstupid
01-28-2007, 02:32 AM
Read about the cultural significance of the number 13 here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thirteen#As_lucky.2C_unlucky.2C_or_significant_num ber)

Thank you for the link Little_Miss_1565 :)

Jack-UK
01-28-2007, 06:05 AM
How often is it that when you go to a party and stick on pretty fly that someone hasnt heard the song? It rocks lol... definately not my favourite, i prefer the older stuff, but its still one of offspring's great successes.

And yeah i dont get half the lyrics to this song, so good thread ;)

And 13 doesnt really have much 'satanic' meaning... 666 is said to be the number of the 'beast' or something like that and is often associated with satan, evil etc etc.... 13 is usually bad luck...

And the overcompensating bit.. i think its cause the guy is a prick and doesnt fit in, so tries too hard and ends up looking more of a cock than he did before lol. If you watch the video of the track you can see what i mean lol.

Fat Boy Samsam
01-28-2007, 07:58 AM
Wow - Camilamazed, Enix, Iamstupid, Zeall, Ladnav, Gayman.....

I can't believe you suckers!

It is sad that you have spent more time analyzing the number 13 than they spend on the whole lyrics of Pretty Fly.

Iamstupid
01-28-2007, 08:39 AM
Wow - Camilamazed, Enix, Iamstupid, Zeall, Ladnav, Gayman.....

I can't believe you suckers!

It is sad that you have spent more time analyzing the number 13 than they spend on the whole lyrics of Pretty Fly.

Fuck you fucking bastard, you're stupid. If you don't like Pretty fly shut your filthy gob, but hey we at least do something better that get up people nose, we're interested in origins of supersticious notions and we do something with our life

Gayman
01-28-2007, 01:54 PM
Fuck you fucking bastard, you're stupid. If you don't like Pretty fly shut your filthy gob, but hey we at least do something better that get up people nose, we're interested in origins of supersticious notions and we do something with our life

Hey, just let it be man. Ignore his comments. Be the wise man.

Camilamazed
01-28-2007, 04:39 PM
Well well..

I asked about the number 13 because I wasn't sure if bad luck would be in the context of the song. That's all.

Its literal menaing is bad luck, but who knows if in the song it has a different meaning. That's why I asked. For heaven's sake.

And yes, I guess I don't have any questions left. Sarah, if you feel like you can close this thread to avoid some idiots from spoiling it with shit.

Ladnav
01-28-2007, 06:43 PM
He's completely right. I'd much rather spend my time analyzing the word "gubernatorial." I mean... really. It's such a ridiculous word. Who would create such a ridiculous word?

Oh, also, Pretty Fly is a brilliant song and does a great job of showing the Offspring's brighter side.

Little_Miss_1565
01-28-2007, 10:47 PM
Camila, Fat Boy Samsam is a known troll. I'm leaving what he's written at the end of this thread up so that everyone can see what a fucking moron he is, but if this thread is getting out of control I'll just delete shit. No worries. :)

Iamstupid
01-29-2007, 08:06 AM
Hey, just let it be man. Ignore his comments. Be the wise man.

You're right. BUt I'm a girl :D

@Mr.fatboysamsam : You're the man the most clever I've never seen. All you said were right, you're probably the most amazing person in this BBS. Other people are totally idiot compared with you.

Zeall
01-29-2007, 08:30 AM
so, after the debates and such, i believe this pretty much sums it up:

13 is an unlucky number, so to look "cool" to all the people he is trying to be friends with, he attempts to get a tattoo of the number 13, to show how daring he is. Now the tattoo-ist (the person who draws the tattoo) messed up and drew 31 instead of 13. The Offspring are making at point of this because he is trying too hard to look good, but failing and in turn making everyone laugh AT him.

anyone agree/disagree with this statement, anyone want to add anything?

Iamstupid
01-29-2007, 08:37 AM
so, after the debates and such, i believe this pretty much sums it up:

13 is an unlucky number, so to look "cool" to all the people he is trying to be friends with, he attempts to get a tattoo of the number 13, to show how daring he is. Now the tattoo-ist (the person who draws the tattoo) messed up and drew 31 instead of 13. The Offspring are making at point of this because he is trying too hard to look good, but failing and in turn making everyone laugh AT him.

anyone agree/disagree with this statement, anyone want to add anything?

I agree and have nothing to add :D

Zeall
01-29-2007, 08:46 AM
I agree and have nothing to add :D

i believe all the questions have been answered now, unless you have anything more to ask Camilamazed? anyone else have anything to ask? :)

Gayman
01-29-2007, 10:09 AM
You're right. BUt I'm a girl :D

@Mr.fatboysamsam : You're the man the most clever I've never seen. All you said were right, you're probably the most amazing person in this BBS. Other people are totally idiot compared with you.

Good GIRL :)