PDA

View Full Version : mp3 players

Llamas
01-14-2007, 04:01 PM
So, I'm getting ready to leave for Austria, and granted that the check for my car goes through, I'm going to be getting a new player before I leave. A few pieces of background.

I had a Creative Zen Vision: M 30 GB player. It got stolen. However, I loved it so much, and I love Creative Media Source. The only two things I didn't like were that if you made selections too quickly, it sometimes froze and then you had to reboot it (which wasn't that big of a deal), and that it was only 30 GB.

I do not want an iPod. That is the only thing that's completely out for sure. So please don't recommend them for me.

So, there are Creatives (though they don't make the Zen Vision: M anymore), Zunes... what other ones are there? Which ones do people recommend? I bought my Zen based on one person's advice, and I was really happy with it, but since players have come another long way since I got my Zen last year, I'm hoping people can give me insight as to what's out there now. Thanks. :)

noodlesfan
01-14-2007, 04:02 PM
How many songs do you plan on putting on it, and are you interested in video/pictures too?

Llamas
01-14-2007, 04:10 PM
I logged out and back in to read noodlesfan's post, because I thought he might actually have something useful to say here... I was right. I have about 80 GB of music, so having a 30 GB player made it really hard to narrow down what I wanted on it. I don't necessarily need all of my music on it, but 30 GB is considerably less than half. So, I'd be looking into probably getting a 60 GB of some sort.

I like video capability, but it seems that most 60 GB players have video these days. So that's not really a concern.

noodlesfan
01-14-2007, 04:19 PM
I think that this is what you had, but with more space. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000I5PGOM/ref=dp_cp_ob_title_1/105-5991222-0686023

JohnnyNemesis
01-14-2007, 04:23 PM
if you made selections too quickly, it sometimes froze and then you had to reboot it

lolololololol.

Anyway, have you tried eBay? If you want to get the exact model you had before even though it's discontinued, you might be able to find it there or on some other auction site for a reasonable price.

Llamas
01-14-2007, 04:26 PM
haha, it only did that if you picked something, and then before it could load the selection, you tried to select something else. It wasn't like all the time. I probably had it freeze up like 3 times in the 4 months i had it, and I used it daily.

I could find it on ebay, but I want a new one. I don't trust used mp3 players. Plus, I want to find out about all the ones that are out there before I get one. What I had was the best for me at the time, but that was in May of 2006.

JohnnyNemesis
01-14-2007, 04:29 PM
eBay isn't just for used items; I use eBay religiously and maybe about half the shit I got from there was used. You could have some luck there, but when it comes to mp3 players I'd probably do what you're doing now and find out about new stuff too.

Lodat225
01-14-2007, 04:31 PM
Get a Zune. They're not expensive.

'Nuff said.

I mean, look at these babies:

http://www.zune.net/NR/rdonlyres/C7470A50-6BE5-4BC0-AB66-9C2FEE60E54F/0/235x120preload.jpg
http://www.zune.net/NR/rdonlyres/3445CD4F-1DA2-4F78-8CB6-EA5281E346C1/0/235x120zuneoverview.jpg

Llamas
01-14-2007, 04:32 PM
The other thing is that I'm moving out of my place next week, and I'm staying at my friend's place for a week before I leave. I don't want to order online for this reason, so I want to buy it in the store. Otherwise I might look up new ones online. Do you have any suggestions? Or, you use an iPod, don't you? Bah. :p

Llamas
01-14-2007, 04:34 PM
Lodat, that's the least contribution possible. Zune is already one of the leading competitors. I don't know shit about them, though, especially compared to other players. Pictures don't do shit for me, either.

Lodat225
01-14-2007, 04:35 PM
http://www.zune.net/en-US/

You could do ANYTHING with a Zune.

Bazza
01-14-2007, 04:36 PM
I'm not to sure if Sony have got anything that fits the bill, however their encoding format means you can fit more songs on. I've had my Sony mp3 player for about 2years, it's got a 20gb harddrive but comfortably fits 13,000 songs on that still sound great on playback.

The great thing about Sony's is that they're reliable, I've had no problems with mine and it's been through the wars a bit.

Lodat225
01-14-2007, 04:37 PM
A Zune is a 30 GB Media Player.

(Internal Hard Drive, FM Tuner)

JohnnyNemesis
01-14-2007, 04:38 PM
The other thing is that I'm moving out of my place next week, and I'm staying at my friend's place for a week before I leave. I don't want to order online for this reason, so I want to buy it in the store. Otherwise I might look up new ones online. Do you have any suggestions? Or, you use an iPod, don't you? Bah. :p

You're NOT gonna bait me into having an iPod argument! You said not to bring them up yourself, so I'm backing away!

Lodat225
01-14-2007, 04:38 PM
I'm guessing you're not talking to me, right...?

(ZUNE!)

Bazza
01-14-2007, 04:39 PM
Ok, quick check shows that Sony have done shit all to catch up with the mp3 player revolution, well done Sony!

Llamas
01-14-2007, 04:44 PM
A Zune is a 30 GB Media Player.

(Internal Hard Drive, FM Tuner)

do they make anything bigger than 30GB? cause that's just too small.

I'm not to sure if Sony have got anything that fits the bill, however their encoding format means you can fit more songs on. I've had my Sony mp3 player for about 2years, it's got a 20gb harddrive but comfortably fits 13,000 songs on that still sound great on playback.

The great thing about Sony's is that they're reliable, I've had no problems with mine and it's been through the wars a bit.

I gotcha. Yeah, if they don't have anything bigger than 20, and haven't been keeping up... :-/ They were one I was considering.

You're NOT gonna bait me into having an iPod argument! You said not to bring them up yourself, so I'm backing away!
I wasn't baiting you, sorry! I was first just asking if you had any recommendations, then I realized you have an iPod, so I shouldn't expect any from you. :) I wasn't trying to be a dick.

Lodat225
01-14-2007, 04:46 PM
Zune is the shit.

Lodat225
01-14-2007, 04:48 PM
Can't help you there. 30 GB for 250 is a bargain. What is that? Like wayyy more than 5,000 songs if you're not going to put videos.

The only other thing i've seen is an iPod which is 80 GB for $349.00

JohnnyNemesis
01-14-2007, 04:49 PM
Haha, I know; I was half jk, I know you weren't REALLY baiting me. I wouldn't be the right person to ask for specific suggestions because my experience differs from most; I have no less than five friends who bought mp3 players not based on quality but based on the fact that they simply weren't iPods (not saying that's what you're doing though) and all ended up horribly dissatisfied in less than a month. And I've never owned anything but my iPod.

You should probably go to Best Buy or some shit and just fuck around with the mp3 players they have there. Also check out some reviews at various electronics sites.

JohnnyNemesis
01-14-2007, 04:49 PM
I wasn't baiting you, sorry! I was first just asking if you had any recommendations, then I realized you have an iPod, so I shouldn't expect any from you. :) I wasn't trying to be a dick.

Haha, I know; I was half jk, I know you weren't REALLY baiting me. I wouldn't be the right person to ask for specific suggestions because my experience differs from most; I have no less than five friends who bought mp3 players not based on quality but based on the fact that they simply weren't iPods (not saying that's what you're doing though) and all ended up horribly dissatisfied in less than a month. And I've personally never owned anything but my iPod.

You should probably go to Best Buy or some shit and just fuck around with the mp3 players they have there. Also check out some reviews at various electronics sites.

Bazza
01-14-2007, 04:51 PM
60gb version of what you had (http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=49YW&CategorySelectedId=11212&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11212,391600000&v=2#infoarea)

Apart from that, I keep finding Ipods (i'm not a huge fan either).

Llamas
01-14-2007, 04:53 PM
Can't help you there. 30 GB for 250 is a bargain. What is that? Like wayyy more than 5,000 songs if you're not going to put videos.

The only other thing i've seen is an iPod which is 80 GB for $349.00

Yeah, 5,000 songs is totally not enough. So far it's sounding like creative and ipod are the only brands that make a 60...

Haha, I know; I was half jk, I know you weren't REALLY baiting me. I wouldn't be the right person to ask for specific suggestions because my experience differs from most; I have no less than five friends who bought mp3 players not based on quality but based on the fact that they simply weren't iPods (not saying that's what you're doing though) and all ended up horribly dissatisfied in less than a month. And I've never owned anything but my iPod.

Nah, I know a lot of people who buy mp3 players based on them not being ipods, as well. I've tried ipods... all my friends who have a player have ipod, and they always have problems with them, plus I find their design to be annoying internally and externally. It's just a personal opinion. Also, I hate iTunes, and a great deal of my music is in wma and I can't be arsed to convert atleast 5,000 songs over to mp3.

As long as it doesn't erupt into a debate, I don't mind talking about iPods. I just REALLY don't want this thread to turn into an argument. What do you like so much about iPod? Some things I really loved about Creative was the internal FM transmitter, the less scratchable surface, the internal recording device, and the fact that you could change the screen background. What are some of the perks of an iPod?

Lodat225
01-14-2007, 04:55 PM
iPods make 80 GB ones. 20,000 4 minute songs.

Llamas
01-14-2007, 04:59 PM
Yeah, 80 GB isn't enough to make me want one, though. Creative makes two types of 60 GB players. A 60 GB is fine, so anything that makes a 60 GB is something I'm interested in more info about. :)

JohnnyNemesis
01-14-2007, 05:00 PM
What I like most about the iPod is the student discount from Apple that made it so much cheaper than any other mp3 player option :P

I said that as a half-joke, but I'm actually serious come to think of it. The fact that I've got such little money and bought mine at a time where I had just won a $300 award for a kickass essay I wrote just made sense. Plus, every other mp3 player I've ever sampled REALLY sucked; my first experience with the iPod made me hate it for a grand total of 3 seconds before marvelling at how intuitive and just plain easy it was to use. Most of the biggest iPod perks are things I never take advantage of because I don't care about anything but just having a ton of high quality music, so most of them there questions would probably be better asked of another iPod user (sry)

Lodat225
01-14-2007, 05:03 PM
Why don't you want an iPod. You're dumb.

Also, do you guys know any place to download songs?

For free.

Llamas
01-14-2007, 05:05 PM
Thanks, Ricky. It is cool to remember that there's that student discount. I should go to the bookstore tomorrow and see how much of a discount we get here on iPods. that might sway my decision, based on how much the discount is.

edit, lodat, how can you call someone dumb for not wanting an iPod, when you yourself don't have an iPod?

JohnnyNemesis
01-14-2007, 05:08 PM
Yeah; it might not be all that much, but it might be just enough to sway your decision.

noodlesfan
01-14-2007, 05:08 PM
Why don't you want an iPod. You're dumb.

Also, do you guys know any place to download songs?

For free.

400,000 song database (meatspin.com)

Lodat225
01-14-2007, 05:09 PM
Ok. That didn't gross me out. You should've put goatse or something.

Betty
01-14-2007, 06:03 PM
My dad got me an mp3 player that wasn't an ipod cause he was attempting to be a savvy shopper and it sucked ass (froze ALL ALL ALL the time and wouldn't start working again). I returned it to the company and got it back and it was exactly the same.

So I'm gonna get an ipod now. Eventually soonish I hope.

noodlesfan
01-14-2007, 06:11 PM
I could see someone not getting an ipod if they had one or know someone who had one and thought it sucked, but not getting an ipod because it's the popular mp3 player is a little silly, it's like the people who think Pink Floyd sucks because Walmart has shirts with their name on it.

Nick: "Hey Mikey, how come you don't like iPods?"
Mikey: "Because, the touch wheel is stupid, and it's made by Apple"
Nick: "have you tried it?"
Mikey: "No, I don't need to"
Nick: "Try mine for a minute"
Mikey: "Wow, this is cool!"
Nick: "He likes it, Mikey likes it!"

Llamas
01-14-2007, 06:18 PM
So, it turns out my sister has a 1GB iPod that she wants to get rid of. I told her to sell it on ebay or amazon, but they have dialup and it's too much work, apparently. They go for like $100 on amazon... I asked how much she wanted for it, she said $60... I offered her $65. Soooo, I'm gonna get that this week. It's an iPod sure, but it might tide me over for a while, or I might sell it myself and use the money for a different one. We'll see what I think of it, though I seriously hate iTunes and the whole wma file thing is gonna blow... I'll probably just put mp3s on it.

JohnnyNemesis
01-14-2007, 06:24 PM
1GB?! Sadz :(

Llamas
01-14-2007, 06:25 PM
I knowwwww it's so tiny! I'll see if it'll tide me over for some time, but it might not, in which case I'll sell it myself and get a different one.

From the looks of things, I'll probably get the 60GB zen vision: M. But I've still got research to do.

wheelchairman
01-15-2007, 12:20 AM
Why are you buying it before you leave? You know they have different plug extensions in Austria right? You will have to buy an adapter just to power your mp3 player. Get a cheap creative one that takes batteries. And get an expensive one when you come back.

ninthlayer
01-15-2007, 12:41 AM
zen
Seriously, don't buy Creative.

Llamas
01-15-2007, 01:04 AM
Why are you buying it before you leave? You know they have different plug extensions in Austria right? You will have to buy an adapter just to power your mp3 player. Get a cheap creative one that takes batteries. And get an expensive one when you come back.
I don't think I could go for 2 1/2 years with a small cheap one that takes batteries. I can always buy a different plug for it once I'm there. Or buy it from an Austrian site and get a new cord whenever I come back.

Seriously, don't buy Creative.
I had one before, and since I haven't been alerted of any better options, it looks likely that it'll be the way to go.

wheelchairman
01-15-2007, 01:12 AM
I thought you were only going for a year or so. Wow 2 that's quite awesome actually. Maartje and I are discussing visiting my friend in Vienna after we tour Germany in the summer. Maybe we'll see each other. :)

It would be smarter to buy from an Austrian site then I think. Actually buying it in Austria would be the easiest. Then you also have a good souvenir too. :p

ninthlayer
01-15-2007, 01:17 AM
I had one before, and since I haven't been alerted of any better options, it looks likely that it'll be the way to go.
I have one currently and what with its constant crashing and poor overall performance I will not be buying any more Creative products.

Llamas
01-15-2007, 01:17 AM
Well, I'll be there for 6 months for sure. If I find an ESL job, I'll get my work visa and stay for 2 1/2 years. Then, after comparing grad schools, I might stay there for grad school, or I might come back to the US for it. We'll see. I'm shooting for 2 1/2 years, though. And I hope to travel all over Europe, including most of Scandinavia... so one way or the other, we should totally hang out. :)

And I am weighing the options of where to buy it from... I assume it will be more expensive in Austria, plus I'm not fluent in German - especially not their dialect - which would make it a lot harder to buy one.

Also, I want it before I leave because it's a LONG flight with two layovers.

EDIT: what kind of creative do you have?? Mine only froze when I selected something and then tried to select something else before it could load the first one. And what poor overall performance have you experienced? But most importantly, what kind of Creative did you get?

ninthlayer
01-15-2007, 01:24 AM
I have the Zen Micro. As for the problems:

It doesn't charge at all anymore (has to be plugged in to work)
It loses its library frequently
It no longer likes to turn on
The battery life has never been impressive
The actual storage on it is about 500mb less than it says it holds

That's what I can think of off the top of my head.

wheelchairman
01-15-2007, 01:28 AM
I've owned a lot of Creative's as well. One was stolen. So nothing wrong there. One I gave as a gift when I got a better one. The better one was really expensive, and just shitty. I mean it worked well until I dropped it. Then the screen went. And then everything went. It was more expensive but shittier than the cheap ones. Then I bought one of those small zen ones at 512 MB. And everytime it ran out of batteries, it wouldn't load up again. It sucked shit. Only the small flash disk ones have ever worked for me from Creative.

Now I have a Sony one at 512 and it's worked since forever and the program is so easy to use. (So is creatives though, and I use Creative Media Player as my default.)

Llamas
01-15-2007, 01:30 AM
Ah. I've heard many negative things about the Zen Micro. They definitely seem to get a lot of low reviews for being "Great while they lasted", and then breaking. I've never been looking at the smaller players, and the vision M was great when I had it, and it has gotten way better reviews than the Micro. And the storage size and battery life for the vision M definitely was what was advertised.

Yours has had some shitty problems, and would definitely deter me from getting a Micro. I can't say that Creative having one faulty product should mean they're all faulty, though. But for yours, is there any sort of guarantee on it, or can it be fixed? How long have you had it?

ninthlayer
01-15-2007, 01:32 AM
Nigga, I bought the extended warranty and I'll be getting my full refund whenever I bring it into Best Buy. Only problem being that I'll need a computer to put jams on my new business and I'm lacking in that arena currently.

So I soldier on with my Creative bullshit until that day arrives.

Llamas
01-15-2007, 01:34 AM
Good call on the warranty. What are you going to get instead?

ninthlayer
01-15-2007, 01:47 AM
Probably an iPodizzle. Because, I mean, I'm going to be moving to a liberal dbag city in seven months so I might as well look the part.

the_GoDdEsS
01-15-2007, 03:11 AM
You'll come back yodelling, Dirndl.

JohnnyNemesis
01-15-2007, 09:21 AM
I have one currently and what with its constant crashing and poor overall performance I will not be buying any more Creative products.

Yeah, but it's not an iPod, so you're still truuupunxx.

lololol, my iPod has fallen on the concrete and bounced no less than three times and it works perfectly well, lawzulltov.

Endymion
01-15-2007, 09:27 AM
I'm going to be moving to a liberal dbag city

what city is that?

Lodat225
01-15-2007, 09:27 AM
Zune FTW.

killer_queen
01-15-2007, 09:40 AM
Well, I'll be there for 6 months for sure. If I find an ESL job, I'll get my work visa and stay for 2 1/2 years. Then, after comparing grad schools, I might stay there for grad school, or I might come back to the US for it. We'll see. I'm shooting for 2 1/2 years, though. And I hope to travel all over Europe, including most of Scandinavia... so one way or the other, we should totally hang out. :)
VISIT TURKEY!! VISIT ME!

Anyways, I think I'm getting an ipod at 30gb and I want to be sure that I'm doing the right thing. My brother says you have to charge twice to watch a movie on it and I definitely need a 80gb one. Is he right?

noodlesfan
01-15-2007, 10:28 AM
VISIT TURKEY!! VISIT ME!

Anyways, I think I'm getting an ipod at 30gb and I want to be sure that I'm doing the right thing. My brother says you have to charge twice to watch a movie on it and I definitely need a 80gb one. Is he right?

I have the 30 Gig, and after you run down the battery the first time (straight out of the box) you can watch a few movies on one charge.

Nina
01-15-2007, 10:48 AM
I would recommend you mine, but it is only 2GB, which is a horrible, horrible thing. I always wanted at least 30GB :[ But then my employer stole 1/4 of my money and I could only afford a 80 one. grah.

wheelchairman
01-15-2007, 10:52 AM
512MB or so is all you really need. When you have a player that can hold all your music, it's never fun. It's much better to have just enough songs so that you can learn all the words. And then when you get bored change them out.

Splintergirl
01-15-2007, 10:56 AM
i pod
:cool:

Nina
01-15-2007, 10:59 AM
512MB or so is all you really need. When you have a player that can hold all your music, it's never fun. It's much better to have just enough songs so that you can learn all the words. And then when you get bored change them out.

That would kill me inside. If I wanted that I'd stick to my old mp3/cd-player.
I get bored very easily. Especially because I learn lyrics incredibly fast, and I also know entire songs by heart very quickly.
I will be 10000% happy the day all my music fits into one mp3(or another little thing in the future)-player.

JohnnyNemesis
01-15-2007, 12:19 PM
Mine only froze when I selected something and then tried to select something else before it could load the first one.

Oh yeah, I forgot to ask earlier, so thanks for reminding me. But how long does it take for a song to load? I'm not understanding the problem because I'm not understanding how you could even have time to select something else before it could "load" the first one. I just click the song and it starts playing.

Zune FTW.

Latest rumor has it those things have major volume issues, yo. Can you confirm or deny?

Llamas
01-15-2007, 01:44 PM
Oh man, when I had the 30GB, I'd be around and be like "damn, I really want to listen to ____" but it wasn't on there at the time. Plus, I'd have to reload it like every day if it was 512MB. I also like taking my entire library and putting it on shuffle.

Oh yeah, I forgot to ask earlier, so thanks for reminding me. But how long does it take for a song to load? I'm not understanding the problem because I'm not understanding how you could even have time to select something else before it could "load" the first one. I just click the song and it starts playing.
Every now and then, it would take like 2 seconds to load something you selected, and I'd realized I'd clicked the wrong thing and try to select something else before it loaded... or I'd try to make the selection on the next screen because I would expect it to go to the next screen like usual. But it was no more than 1 or 2 seconds. I just am impatient.

Llamas
12-26-2007, 10:53 PM
So, I did end up buying my sister's iPod last January. It's a 1GB nano, and I hated it.

Today, I got a 30GB Zune. I like it. I miss the Creative Zen, but I like the Zune much more than the iPod, and not just because of the size.

However, the software SUCKS. omg. Worst mp3 player software ever. It's so slow, and the layout tries to be too fancy. I even like iTunes better than this... The only thing I don't like about the player is that there is no scroll pad/scroll wheel. Not a huge fan of the button layout, either. But I think the design is great, the screen is nice and big, and the display and menus are great. I guess overall, of the three players I've had (overall, including software), I liked the Creative Zen the most, the Zune second, and the iPod third. Does anyone else have a Zune? What do you think of it?