PDA

View Full Version : The Offspring Guitar Solos

Flash12354
01-16-2007, 04:49 PM
Are there any good solos performed by Dexter or Noodles in any Offspring song? I haven't really found any, but I haven't heard every Offspring song, or I may not currently remember one. I don't know, but it seems like they are both very good guitar players, and could write a cool one.

Also, it seems as if most in this board are partial to elder offspring albums such as Ignition or Smash, but am I the only one that prefers newer albums, like Conspiracy of One and Splinter. No doubt, songs were much cooler in the past, but I think that Dexter's singing has improved so much, that newer songs are better.

Opinions?

Bazza
01-16-2007, 04:58 PM
The solo on TKAA is pretty kick-ass, at least I can't play it!!

Edit: What happened to You? has a decent solo as well.

Flash12354
01-16-2007, 04:59 PM
Thanks, I'll check them out, I've heard the songs plenty of times, but apparently I don't remember the solos.

That_Guy91
01-16-2007, 05:00 PM
Try listening to the first album.

Flash12354
01-16-2007, 05:02 PM
Yeah, I remember the one from TKAA, and Its sweet, but I wish it was longer, and the Offspring overall had way more solos.

Bazza
01-16-2007, 05:02 PM
Try listening to the first album.

Most definately yes, many classic songs there.

Flash12.. if you haven't heard any of the earler stuff then definately listen to s/t, ignition and smash.

Flash12354
01-16-2007, 05:03 PM
What album is What Happened to You? on, I don't seem to remember that song.....

Bazza
01-16-2007, 05:05 PM
Smash, the album that many people said made the Offspring famous

rodney mullen
01-16-2007, 05:05 PM
What album is What Happened to You? on, I don't seem to remember that song.....

smash. [making it 10 characters long].................................................

Flash12354
01-16-2007, 05:10 PM
hmmm, I downloaded the complete discography (I only have Splinter, Conspiracy, and Ignition) to get Smash and the Offspring, but that song didn't download...

I know the first Offspring album has a ton of solos, especially I'll Be Waiting- Probably the best solos.... but I guess I just don't love Dexter's singing on that cd.

They should do what Unwritten Law just did, and re-record a bunch of old songs with their current line-up and talent.

Apathy
01-16-2007, 05:41 PM
That would be a horrible idea.

The entire reason some people like those cd's is because of their raw, untampered sound.
The reason Dexter's voice sounds better on the newer albums is because it's being altered slighty to fix it's pitch.

Flash12354
01-16-2007, 06:21 PM
Of course it is, but no, the reason Dexters voice sounds better is because he has had ten more years of experience and is a much better singer.

Apathy
01-16-2007, 06:26 PM
Ehm, no.

Those years of experience are also known as getting old. And when you get old, your vocal range tends to worsen.

Llamas
01-16-2007, 06:34 PM
Of course it is, but no, the reason Dexters voice sounds better is because he has had ten more years of experience and is a much better singer.

...so terribly false. There was a VERY noticable change in his vocals from Smash to Ixnay. Coincidence that the jump was between those two? No. They switched from Epitaph to Columbia. You really think Dexter's live recordings from 1997 on sound better than before 1997? They're the same. I mean, there's slight change, but he's not a way better singer.

And if they redid old songs, I'd never ever buy it. That would suck.

Jizzy Jeff Punk Man
01-16-2007, 06:52 PM
I actually think his raw voice from the earlier albums has a more destinct, natural tone than the newer albums. The rawness of the earlier albums is what attracts me to The Offspring.

The solo from I Choose isn't too bad.

Stranger With Candy
01-16-2007, 11:18 PM
Million Miles Away

DeAtHsTaR
01-16-2007, 11:34 PM
Kill the President ftw.

Chachi1856
01-17-2007, 02:40 AM
Not to be a downer on the subject but most of the band's best songs dont even have major solos in them, its a major part of their style. Mostly just kick ass power riffs. If they have solos, they're usually work off those riffs but USUALLY never really take a life for their own.

Buller
01-17-2007, 03:33 AM
The solos on "nothing from something" and "forever and a day" are great..

mrconeman
01-17-2007, 12:34 PM
The first album has the best guitar work on it, with other albums having a few highlights in between.
Notable ones have already been mentioned really, Million Miles Away is a decent solo, Kids aren't alright is a very nice solo, I choose is a good one.

Offspring really aren't a band to be looking for solos from though, I mean I have this strong suspicion that Noodles can really wail it up on guitar, but he doesn't because it just isn't Offspring's sound. If you look at the solos he was playing on Self Titled, add 17 or 18 years of practice and experiance to that, and if you read interviews it's mentioned that he practices scales and likes to play fiddly bits from guitar mags and stuff.
I think he could throw down some good solos these days, but either the band agree that it isn't for them, Dexter is forcing him not too, or Noodles just doesn't want much solos on his Offspring work.

Acoustic1804
01-17-2007, 12:53 PM
Feelings has a freakin awesome solo

Gayman
01-17-2007, 01:43 PM
Many songs from them don't have any solos.

Grabbal
01-17-2007, 01:52 PM
Many songs from them don't have any solos.

I believe he knew that..

But still I love the "Million miles away" solo..

F@ BANKZ
01-17-2007, 02:13 PM
I know fuck-all about guitars but my mate says Mission From God is super-fun to play.

Forza
01-17-2007, 02:24 PM
By far the best solo is the one in Sin City. Too bad it's not a solo they made themselves.

Flash12354
01-17-2007, 02:48 PM
I really do not agree with people who say that Dexter's voice has not improved. And I am not speaking of the clarity of tone or any of those difference on Ixnay. When you listen to him live, he has obviously improved. Some people may prefer the younger Dexter singing, but he now (on Splinter) adds turns to his voice (lightning rod for example) and his voice is richer.

wazzup22
01-18-2007, 01:58 AM
In my opinion the solo in I choose is the best one they have written.

Ninty Man
01-18-2007, 12:39 PM
And don't forget the solo of The Noose... well... i Don't know if it's a solo, but the guitar it's great... and Da Hui work it's also good (even the song sucks).

Kill the president it's kick ass, such I choose

punker
01-18-2007, 07:24 PM
for me, the best is the one from I'll Be Waiting, or in general, all the solos from S/T.

Venom Symbiote
01-18-2007, 07:48 PM
Solos = the only reason to have a sentimental spot for the Self-Titled release.

Prox
01-18-2007, 07:51 PM
The Offspring has a so low number of solos.

:D

Americana_Conspiracy
01-18-2007, 08:07 PM
Dexter's voice has improved you can see it or rather hear it if you listen to all of the Offspring albums from oldest to newest....and the rawness of his voice in the earlier albums makes the songs so much sweeter

Dirty Magic has a good solo

Grabbal
01-19-2007, 08:10 AM
Dirty Magic has a good solo

Would you really call that a solo?!?!

Ninty Man
01-19-2007, 08:35 PM
The Offspring has a so low number of solos.

:D

MMM... it's a punk band... ergo... they really don't have the duty to make guitar solos.

Would you really call that a solo?!?!

It's the good long rhytm of the song

German Andres
01-20-2007, 01:36 PM
The bests Offspring solos are in the S/T album. Just listen to I`ll be Waiting, Kill the President and the riffs on the other songs. However, the ones in Ignition (Forever and a Day, Nothing from Something) are awesome too, just as the one in What Happened to You. But I think all Offspring solos are great, they aren`t too long, I mean, you don`t get bored.

Ninty Man
01-20-2007, 02:43 PM
The bests Offspring solos are in the S/T album. Just listen to I`ll be Waiting, Kill the President and the riffs on the other songs. However, the ones in Ignition (Forever and a Day, Nothing from Something) are awesome too, just as the one in What Happened to You. But I think all Offspring solos are great, they aren`t too long, I mean, you don`t get bored.

Yep... and don't forget LAPD

But I wanna hear a cover from eruption by Noodles

mrconeman
01-20-2007, 03:33 PM

You probably already know this, but he does play a small section of it live after songs.

Ninty Man
01-20-2007, 03:39 PM
You probably already know this, but he does play a small section of it live after songs.

MMM... yep??? Oh... I've never seen live them... snif.. XD

mrconeman
01-20-2007, 04:12 PM
The most notable version of Noodles playing a bit of Eruption that I've heard, is in the summersonic show they played, when they finish Want you Bad, Noodles plays it there, it's pretty cool.
It's probably on youtube.

Ninty Man
01-20-2007, 05:29 PM
The most notable version of Noodles playing a bit of Eruption that I've heard, is in the summersonic show they played, when they finish Want you Bad, Noodles plays it there, it's pretty cool.
It's probably on youtube.

Oh yes... but I still wanna hear it on the album XD

STE
02-18-2007, 04:13 AM
does anybody have a good guitar tab of pay the man? ive been searching for ages.

Grabbal
02-18-2007, 04:35 AM
does anybody have a good guitar tab of pay the man? ive been searching for ages.

Maybe this one (http://ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/o/offspring/pay_the_man_ver2_tab.htm)

Jojan
02-18-2007, 04:40 AM

Here you have a great one. (http://kotisivu.dnainternet.net/k129875/offsprng/american/payman.txt)

RageAndLov
02-18-2007, 07:04 AM
The best solo ever in Offspring's career is the intro to Tehran from S/T!

Funderful Callan
02-18-2007, 07:08 AM
I Would definately say

Feelings
The Kids Aren't Alright
What Ever Happened To You? (Good solo by Dexter)

Iamstupid
02-18-2007, 07:12 AM
I Would definately say

Feelings
The Kids Aren't Alright
What Ever Happened To You? (Good solo by Dexter)

Do you mean What Hapenned To You ?

RageAndLov
02-18-2007, 07:25 AM
Do you mean What Hapenned To You ?

no, i think he means Have You Ever

STE
02-18-2007, 07:35 AM
i think the solo in The Kids Aren't Alright totally rocks ......and Feelings, its short but fast

nameless
02-18-2007, 03:52 PM
the offspring like to keep their sound simple nowadays, im sure they could all perform and write some brilliant stuff though but they just keep it easy for the songs!

Ninty Man
02-18-2007, 07:55 PM
the offspring like to keep their sound simple nowadays, im sure they could all perform and write some brilliant stuff though but they just keep it easy for the songs!

MMM... easy??? :mad:

mrconeman
02-18-2007, 08:23 PM
The Offspring have always had fairly easy songs.
A few months of playing your respective instrument and you will be able to play almost any Offspring song.
It's the fact that they write great sounding songs that should be appreciated, not that their songs are hard.

Ninty Man
02-18-2007, 10:57 PM
The Offspring have always had fairly easy songs.
A few months of playing your respective instrument and you will be able to play almost any Offspring song.
It's the fact that they write great sounding songs that should be appreciated, not that their songs are hard.

Oh, I finally understand the post, my bad.

I thought he was saying that Offspring should keep the songs easy... but it's a claim that they keep it easy (and it's true... but TKAA in drums it's hard when you do cool fillings XD)

Footman
02-19-2007, 02:40 AM
Feelings
The Kids Aren't Alright
What Happened To You?
Da Hui
Million Miles Away

nameless
02-19-2007, 03:42 PM

well, i say easy, just in terms of not goign overboard with solos and showmanship etc. although they arent the most difficult, you still need to know what your doing to really pull things off i think!

German Andres
02-20-2007, 10:16 AM

That`d be great:D

Ninty Man
02-20-2007, 02:50 PM
That`d be great:D

I demand Eruption

Grabbal
02-20-2007, 05:07 PM
I demand Eruption

Isn't that like one huge insane solo??

Ninty Man
02-20-2007, 06:45 PM
Isn't that like one huge insane solo??

YES (Ninty mastu... I mean, imagines NoodlesXD)

Venom Symbiote
02-20-2007, 08:06 PM
(Going back a few pages here...)

Offspring really aren't a band to be looking for solos from though, I mean I have this strong suspicion that Noodles can really wail it up on guitar, but he doesn't because it just isn't Offspring's sound. If you look at the solos he was playing on Self Titled, add 17 or 18 years of practice and experiance to that, and if you read interviews it's mentioned that he practices scales and likes to play fiddly bits from guitar mags and stuff.

See, that's inherently the problem. I love The Offspring, always have and always will, that won't change. But they're just a band that has so much potential to be more than they are, and that's frustrating. I mean, listening to Americana and Ixnay these days there are times when you're just like "Whoa...how the fuck did they come up with that? Brilliant".

It just seems to be their recent, erm, joke-status is...well, not deserved as such, but...accurate. Noodles can wail on the guitar, to an extent that would put just about every other "punk" band out there to shame. Thing is...he doesn't. Why not?

I know the old albums were simple too, but so was their playing proficiency. It's not now. They're so much better, and everyone knows both Dexter and Noodles are accomplished guitarists. Not that all Offspring stuff is easy, it just seems they could amp it up a little and really wow people if they wanted to.

That's what I'd like to see. It probably won't happen, but I'd like to see an album like that. Not necessarily "more serious", but going with the experimentation thing from Splinter and making it actually good. Playing a lot of technically proficient stuff, which they can do. We all know that.

----------

And by the way, what's "Eruption"? This is one thing I haven't heard yet. A cover, I'm assuming.

Ninty Man
02-21-2007, 06:12 PM

See, that's inherently the problem. I love The Offspring, always have and always will, that won't change. But they're just a band that has so much potential to be more than they are, and that's frustrating. I mean, listening to Americana and Ixnay these days there are times when you're just like "Whoa...how the fuck did they come up with that? Brilliant".

It just seems to be they're recent, erm, joke-status is...well, not deserved as such, but...accurate. Noodles can wail on the guitar, to an extent that would put just about every other "punk" band out there to shame. Thing is...he doesn't. Why not?

I know the old albums were simple too, but so was their playing proficiency. It's not now. They're so much better, and everyone knows both Dexter and Noodles are accomplished guitarist. Not that all Offspring stuff is easy, it just seems they could amp it up a little and really wow people if they wanted to.

That's what I'd like to see. It probably won't happen, but I'd like to see an album like that. Not necessarily "more serious", but going with the experimentation thing from Splinter and making it actually good. Playing a lot of technically proficient stuff, which they can do. We all know that.

----------

And by the way, what's "Eruption"? This is one thing I haven't heard yet. A cover, I'm assuming.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ULEBSxP725

It's a guitar solo from Eddie Van Halen... and I agree with you

German Andres
02-21-2007, 06:26 PM

It just seems to be they're recent, erm, joke-status is...well, not deserved as such, but...accurate. Noodles can wail on the guitar, to an extent that would put just about every other "punk" band out there to shame. Thing is...he doesn't. Why not?

I know the old albums were simple too, but so was their playing proficiency. It's not now. They're so much better, and everyone knows both Dexter and Noodles are accomplished guitarist. Not that all Offspring stuff is easy, it just seems they could amp it up a little and really wow people if they wanted to.

----------

I totally agree with you. By the way, Eruption is considered the 2nd best guitar solo ever, following Stairway to Heaven from Led Zeppelin.

SplinterByMyOwnDesign
02-22-2007, 06:32 AM
Holy crap! Eruption? 2nd best? I'm surprised... Van Halen is an awesome guitarist and i love that solo... but I don't know... Jimi Hendrix has some pretty damn cool solo's...

And Venom, i also agree... Noodles needs to just fucking bust out a lead more often. We've all heard the little solo riffs he throws into Come Out And Play and Gotta Get Away, he clearly has the talent.

Ninty Man
02-22-2007, 04:39 PM
Holy crap! Eruption? 2nd best? I'm surprised... Van Halen is an awesome guitarist and i love that solo... but I don't know... Jimi Hendrix has some pretty damn cool solo's...

And Venom, i also agree... Noodles needs to just fucking bust out a lead more often. We've all heard the little solo riffs he throws into Come Out And Play and Gotta Get Away, he clearly has the talent.

Kill the president... I mean, that's insane, and LAPD... and Bad Habit with all that powe... men, I think I have an orgasm?

Venom Symbiote
02-22-2007, 05:44 PM
What I guess I'm getting at is, yeah, the Self-Titled release has some pretty impressive guitar solos/noodling.

That was 18 years ago, more for a few songs that were written prior.

So what the hell can he play now? :eek: We really don't know how much he's developed as a guitarist, because we never get to hear it. Although, granted, even with this he's been featured in guitar magazines like Total Guitar as a "guitar god", even interviewing him alongside Joe Satriani for a feature article. Now, of course he's no Satriani, but he's still better than what we get on the albums. I think we all realise that.

I get the distinct impression that if we had an album with solos now, it would blow the Self-Titled ones the fuck away. Y'know?

I agree with Thom Wilson's decision to remove all the solos on the early albums, as they're not good from a commercial standpoint. But the band doesn't need to worry about "making it" anymore, they can afford to throw a couple of impressive ones on each record.

Again, I'm not saying I'm expecting this to happen (least of all with Rock, who is more of a straight-up-no-bullshit producer preferring to concentrate on making the tone beefy and ballsy rather than dealing in wanky virtuoso playing), but it would be nice to see just what ol' Jewdles can pull off these days. We haven't really been given an example.

lint
02-22-2007, 10:04 PM
Hmm...the little solo riff behind the rhythm part in "Dirty Magic" is pretty cool.

Oh yeah and the riff in "Genocide" is AMAZING.

SplinterByMyOwnDesign
02-23-2007, 01:55 AM
Hmm...the little solo riff behind the rhythm part in "Dirty Magic" is pretty cool.

Oh yeah and the riff in "Genocide" is AMAZING.

No offence, but from a guitarist point of view... those riffs are just basic stuff.

And Noodles plays some pretty cool shit in the "Meet Noodles" section of the Huck It DVD... Why not have some of that in an Offspring song for an intro or something, because he can play it good.

Grabbal
02-23-2007, 05:10 AM
No offence, but from a guitarist point of view... those riffs are just basic stuff.

And Noodles plays some pretty cool shit in the "Meet Noodles" section of the Huck It DVD... Why not have some of that in an Offspring song for an intro or something, because he can play it good.

You want bach as an intro for an Offspring song??

ZagmenO
02-23-2007, 03:35 PM

Didn't he keep messing up on those? http://smiley.onegreatguy.net/laugh.gif

Ninty Man
02-23-2007, 08:11 PM
Didn't he keep messing up on those? http://smiley.onegreatguy.net/laugh.gif

I think he was improvising... but damn he's good

lint
02-23-2007, 09:45 PM

Oh I know, I'm a bassist (and a fair guitarist) and they are easy to play. I was just saying that they sound cool. Not that they are hard to play or anything.

Grabbal
02-24-2007, 05:03 AM
It basicly just this (http://ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/t/tenacious_d/classico_intro_tab.htm) with a few low notes and that's all there is too it..

mrconeman
02-24-2007, 10:40 PM
I'm going to stab out my fucking eyeballs if anyone ever calls eruption anywhere near the best guitar solo ever played, and then proceed to kill myself when they follow it up with "stairway to heaven is better".

Eruption is Eddie Van Halen showing off what he could do back when no one else was quite doing that shit, and it is fucking good playing, but really its no substance its just guitar wankery.

And the stairway solo sounds pretty great and all, but its far from amazingly good, and Jimmy Page can/has fucking buried that solo with other things hes played. Stairway is just a basic nice sounding blues/rock solo. I wish people would get over those two solos.

Both solos are majorly over-rated, and both Eddie Van Halen and Jimmy Page have solos that out-shine both pieces.
Not to mention the countless other guitarists that are head and shoulders better than Page, and the several better than Eddie that have better stuff.

And yeah, the classical stuff Noodles does in the Meet Noodles thing was pretty cool. I haven't watched that in ages though.

Venom Symbiote
02-25-2007, 12:18 AM
Exactly. I mean, "Stairway" is a classic song and all, but listening to "Eruption" on that YouTube link just made me think "oookk, this is so much better than Stairway, but I've heard better".

There's no question that Eddie rocks, of course he does, but there have been better.

And Page doesn't even come close. Between just the two of those, "Eruption" kicks the flabby man-tit out of "Stairway'.

mrconeman
02-25-2007, 02:00 PM
In terms of speed and sheer technique, surely.
But personally I prefer the stairway solo, it's just better to listen to.
Though Eddie, during most Van Halen songs, pwns the stairway solo into next week, he has so much better work in his regular songs.

Ninty Man
02-26-2007, 03:29 PM
Exactly. I mean, "Stairway" is a classic song and all, but listening to "Eruption" on that YouTube link just made me think "oookk, this is so much better than Stairway, but I've heard better".

There's no question that Eddie rocks, of course he does, but there have been better.

And Page doesn't even come close. Between just the two of those, "Eruption" kicks the flabby man-tit out of "Stairway'.

I think that Hendrix, Page and Eddie Van Halen are the better guitarists, and in that order

Venom Symbiote
02-26-2007, 04:54 PM
Hendrix = overrated.

Blackball_
02-26-2007, 04:57 PM
robert fripp = best guitarist by a fucking long way.

Ninty Man
02-26-2007, 06:35 PM
Hendrix = overrated.

You must have shit instead of brains. Hendrix... dammit, he was amazing, and did blues... and most important, influenced van halen

Venom Symbiote
02-26-2007, 07:31 PM
Hence using the word "overrated" instead of saying he wasn't any good.

Hendrix was awesome, but people seem to think he's the greatest guitarist to ever live. Maybe the most influential, but pssh, just about anyone from any Scandinavian metal band of any sub-genre kicks the hell out of Hendrix without even trying.

Gayman
02-26-2007, 07:35 PM
Hendrix was a great guitarrist but made REALLY weird songs and I didn't like him that much.

But guys, let's try to keep it alittle less off topic.

Venom Symbiote
02-26-2007, 08:37 PM
Psh, it's not really too off-topic. W'e'e discussing solos and soloists.

Gayman
02-27-2007, 02:35 PM
Well, this is General Offspring Discussion. So you should discuss only about Offspring's soloing. This doesn't really bother me, but I'm just saying.....:rolleyes:

Ninty Man
02-27-2007, 09:15 PM
Hence using the word "overrated" instead of saying he wasn't any good.

Hendrix was awesome, but people seem to think he's the greatest guitarist to ever live. Maybe the most influential, but pssh, just about anyone from any Scandinavian metal band of any sub-genre kicks the hell out of Hendrix without even trying.

He is the better... and behind him... anyone

Venom Symbiote
02-27-2007, 09:54 PM
Uh, no.

Hendrix was awesome for the era he played in. The best of his time period? Maybe. That can probably be disputed too, but greatest guitarist of the '60s I could see being a valid point if argued correctly. And he's very influential.

But to this day? You're smokin' something, Captain Beaner.

Fuck no. I mean, virtually any heavy metal player worth anything is better than Hendrix. Even the American bands. People like Jon Schaffer, Kerry King, hell, even Mustaine are probably better than Hendrix in terms of sheer technicality. And they're just "pretty average" in terms of today's standards.

If you move onto the Nordic extreme metal bands, there's virtually no contest. Hell, anywhere in the world I guess, not just Scandinavia. Pick the peak guitarists of speed-metal, thrash-metal, hell, even power-metal to an extent, 90% of them are going to be better than Hendrix was.

And that's not even counting the non-metal bands. Stevie Ray Vaughn, anyone?

mrconeman
02-28-2007, 06:25 AM
I think that Hendrix, Page and Eddie Van Halen are the better guitarists, and in that order
You're wrong. Get an opinion of your own instead of relying on what you've heard plz.

Hendrix = overrated.
Very, very true.

You must have shit instead of brains. Hendrix... dammit, he was amazing, and did blues... and most important, influenced van halen
Hendrix was influential, yes. Extremely. Hendrix was an awesome guitarist, yes, no disputing this. Hendrix was however, NOT by a long fucking shot, the best guitarist to ever play.

edit: Wait, what?...what the fucking fuck?... you used the fact that Hendrix played blues (which by the way, he didn't, he played blues licks and what not on guitar, but it was clearly rock music, mostly) as a reason for him being an amazing guitarist?
You do realize that there are other blues players?...better ones?

Uh, no.

Hendrix was awesome for the era he played in. The best of his time period? Maybe. That can probably be disputed too, but greatest guitarist of the '60s I could see being a valid point if argued correctly. And he's very influential.

But to this day? You're smokin' something, Captain Beaner.

Fuck no. I mean, virtually any heavy metal player worth anything is better than Hendrix. Even the American bands. People like Jon Schaffer, Kerry King, hell, even Mustaine are probably better than Hendrix in terms of sheer technicality. And they're just "pretty average" in terms of today's standards.

If you move onto the Nordic extreme metal bands, there's virtually no contest. Hell, anywhere in the world I guess, not just Scandinavia. Pick the peak guitarists of speed-metal, thrash-metal, hell, even power-metal to an extent, 90% of them are going to be better than Hendrix was.

And that's not even counting the non-metal bands. Stevie Ray Vaughn, anyone?
It can be argued Hendrix has a better feel than any of those metal guitarists put together, and I'd probably be the first to put that argument across, but yes, in terms of sheer technique, every metal guitarist ever owns Hendrix.
And yes, Stevie Ray Vaughn, point well made, a perfect example of a player who took what Hendrix was doing and..wait for it, TOOK IT TO THE NEXT LEVEL, HENDRIX IS NOT THE PINNACLE OF GUITAR PLAYING.

ahem

To summize: Hendrix was fucking awesome. A great player for his time, and even now his playing stands as great, but then he died, and became a bit of a legend so now people who know next to jack shit about guitar playing like to say he was the best, when clearly, he wasn't, ask anyone who knows anything about guitar, or better yet, ask a guitarist who knows whats what.

Hendrix was extremely influential in what he did, he probably ..no definatly influenced like 90% of people to pick up a guitar after he did himself, but he wasn't the first to do that shit. You think David Gilmour wasn't playing guitar in the 50's and 60's and doing that exact same shit?...and probably better than Hendrix, you think all the great 70's guitarists who came up after Hendrix popularised the style weren't already doing it before they got famous?
Think again please, and then get a clue.

lint
03-01-2007, 04:56 PM
Stevie Ray Vaughan is a better blues player I think. Hendrix is a god though. But Page is my favorite :D

Sorry to be off topic :o

The Elders solo is awesome.

lint
03-01-2007, 04:58 PM
Oh and mrconeman, if you're saying that David Gilmour is amazing, I agree with you completely. Now that man is a severely underrated guitarist.

malibu43
03-01-2007, 05:36 PM
I think really this argument is piontless. There is way too much subjectivity in "who's the best guitar player ever." Are we talking technically? For his respective time or for all time? Were they the most creative? Did they right the "catchiest" solos?

You could argue this to death, and never convice anyone.

If you have way too much time on your hands, you could come up with all the different categories for a guitar player (ie - technical ability, creativity, popularity, etc). And then get a consensus and assign weights to each category. And then go back and rate each player in each category based on pre-defined and agreed upon criteria.

But that would be ridiculous. I say just drop it.

Ninty Man
03-01-2007, 08:37 PM
You're wrong. Get an opinion of your own instead of relying on what you've heard plz.

Very, very true.

Hendrix was influential, yes. Extremely. Hendrix was an awesome guitarist, yes, no disputing this. Hendrix was however, NOT by a long fucking shot, the best guitarist to ever play.

edit: Wait, what?...what the fucking fuck?... you used the fact that Hendrix played blues (which by the way, he didn't, he played blues licks and what not on guitar, but it was clearly rock music, mostly) as a reason for him being an amazing guitarist?
You do realize that there are other blues players?...better ones?

It can be argued Hendrix has a better feel than any of those metal guitarists put together, and I'd probably be the first to put that argument across, but yes, in terms of sheer technique, every metal guitarist ever owns Hendrix.
And yes, Stevie Ray Vaughn, point well made, a perfect example of a player who took what Hendrix was doing and..wait for it, TOOK IT TO THE NEXT LEVEL, HENDRIX IS NOT THE PINNACLE OF GUITAR PLAYING.

ahem

To summize: Hendrix was fucking awesome. A great player for his time, and even now his playing stands as great, but then he died, and became a bit of a legend so now people who know next to jack shit about guitar playing like to say he was the best, when clearly, he wasn't, ask anyone who knows anything about guitar, or better yet, ask a guitarist who knows whats what.

Hendrix was extremely influential in what he did, he probably ..no definatly influenced like 90% of people to pick up a guitar after he did himself, but he wasn't the first to do that shit. You think David Gilmour wasn't playing guitar in the 50's and 60's and doing that exact same shit?...and probably better than Hendrix, you think all the great 70's guitarists who came up after Hendrix popularised the style weren't already doing it before they got famous?
Think again please, and then get a clue.

Yes, I realize that there are betters technically... but I just think that Hendrix it's a god

ZagmenO
03-01-2007, 08:42 PM
Hi. I'm looking for "General Offspring Discussion." Anyone know where I can find it?

adombomb222
03-01-2007, 08:47 PM
It's odd, I've been hearing more and more guitare solos in punk lately. It's odd because all the old punk, and up until a few years ago, I've listened to doesn't really have many if any guitare solos, only drum and bass solos.

Venom Symbiote
03-01-2007, 08:54 PM
Yes, I realize that there are betters technically... but I just think that Hendrix it's a god

What does that even mean?

Yes, Hendrix was one of the greats. Nobody's arguing with you there, chief. But if he's a "god", then there are like a thousand other guitarists out there who are too, without exaggeration.

mrconeman
03-02-2007, 07:49 AM
Not just technically though. Like the guy above you was saying, if you really wanna get into it and come up with categorys, I could name you plenty of better guitarists than Hendrix in every single area. But as mentioned, that would be ridiculous. Also, I'm not saying Hendrix can't be your own favourite player, by all means go for it, I'm just saying you can't go around factually saying that he was the best or that retarded "He is a God" phrase. There is no such thing as a best guitarist, this is true, made all the more true by the fact that you would be rating it within a tiny percentage of guitarists who have made it big, for all we know theres some 14 year old Brazillian classical guitar player who owns everyone you or I have ever heard.
As a guitarist I'm just sick to fucking death of people citing Hendrix as this mythological figure of musical greatness, that he clearly wasn't.

It's odd, I've been hearing more and more guitare solos in punk lately. It's odd because all the old punk, and up until a few years ago, I've listened to doesn't really have many if any guitare solos, only drum and bass solos.
Not really, right the way back to the roots of punk music there has always been guitar solos, you just have to know where to find them.

Oh and mrconeman, if you're saying that David Gilmour is amazing, I agree with you completely. Now that man is a severely underrated guitarist.
Very much so. Although not so much among Pink Floyd fans and guitarists, he gets the credit he deserves among those who know him.

Ninty Man
03-02-2007, 10:16 PM
What does that even mean?

Yes, Hendrix was one of the greats. Nobody's arguing with you there, chief. But if he's a "god", then there are like a thousand other guitarists out there who are too, without exaggeration.

That he was a god, unique... and kickass

mrconeman
03-03-2007, 05:16 AM
I see we're talking to a brick wall.
So yeah, Noodles is pretty good, amirite?

Ninty Man
03-03-2007, 06:35 PM
I see we're talking to a brick wall.
So yeah, Noodles is pretty good, amirite?

Yep... Ok, about hendrix... don't misunderstood me, I just love the way the men played the guitar.

Ah, and about Noodles... he must show ALL his potential... I mean, The Noose it's a prove that he can be awesome, even Da Hui

Venom Symbiote
03-03-2007, 06:44 PM
Yep... Ok, about hendrix... don't misunderstood me, I just love the way the men played the guitar.

What he's saying is, if you love the way Jimi played, there are like a hundred other guys out there playing in a similar style that you'd enjoy more. Mainly because of the whole "they're better" thing. ;)

Ninty Man
03-03-2007, 09:44 PM
What he's saying is, if you love the way Jimi played, there are like a hundred other guys out there playing in a similar style that you'd enjoy more. Mainly because of the whole "they're better" thing. ;)

MMM... they don't have the psychodelic style, sorry

mrconeman
03-03-2007, 09:52 PM
I love how anything and almost everything from the 60's that used panned speaker effects and heavy reverb gets labeled psychedelic.

Oh wait no, I don't, I hate that.

ZagmenO
03-04-2007, 09:14 PM
Hey. There's this really cool band called The Offspring. Anyone ever heard of them?