PDA

View Full Version : Sealab 2021

Lodat225
01-19-2007, 02:25 PM
So, since im grounded (lawlz) i decided to see some shows i have on DVD. When i was looking through them, all i saw were some South Park, Family Guy, Simpsons and other boring stuff like that. I was looking through my DVDs, and i saw Sealab 2021. Damn. This show is awesome. If you haven't heard of it... you need to watch it... NOW. I don't think they show it anymore, but Season 2 was my favorite. Have any of you watched this show? It's hilarious.

F@ BANKZ
01-19-2007, 02:40 PM
I havn't heard of it, what genre is it, comedy?

Lodat225
01-19-2007, 02:43 PM
Yeah. I just looked it up. It's on Adult Swim.

Plot Outline: The drama of an oft-doomed underwater colony and its personnel members that hate each other.

Plot Synopsis: The year is 2021. Deep below the ocean's surface, looms a vast, magnificently high-tech compound: Sealab. A multi-national scientific station with an annual budget in the trillions, dedicated to the research and exploration of man's final frontier... Sealab's crew is charged with exploring the possibility of underwater colonization. As the Earth's surface, by this time, has gotten just generally crowded, hot, and icky. However, as most government-funded agencies usually are, Sealab is manned by a motley collection of malcontents and screw-ups who were unfit for work in the private sector. They really don't get any research done, but instead spend their time bickering among themselves. Or just plain goofing off. The crew have manipulated their luckless leader, Captain Murphy, into submission, and are content to ride the government clock, raking in fat, hazardous-duty paychecks.

JohnnyNemesis
01-19-2007, 02:54 PM
So, since im grounded

lolololololol FAG!

agepwn!

Lodat225
01-19-2007, 02:56 PM
Hahahaha... yeah. Agepwn.

Lodat225
01-19-2007, 04:17 PM
The best Sealab 2021 episode, Stimutacs:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=dcWQCJGF82M

Lodat225
01-19-2007, 04:51 PM
Yeah! Aqua Teen Hungerforce and Metalocalypse are awesome shows!

adombomb222
01-19-2007, 05:40 PM
Sealab sucks... Johnny Quest was a hell of a lot better. Those fuckers ripped the entire show off the sealab episodes in the Quest series.

Lodat225
01-19-2007, 05:41 PM
Sealab is awesome. It's so random.

adombomb222
01-19-2007, 05:43 PM
No Sealab is for people who have a lacked sense of humor and a bleak understanding of entertainment.

Lodat225
01-19-2007, 05:48 PM
Actually, it's an excellent show from the master-minds at Adult Swim, Adam Reed and Matt Thompson.

It's suppose to be a "ripoff" from 1972's series Sealab 2020. What kind of comedy do you prefer then?

adombomb222
01-19-2007, 06:01 PM
The people at Adult Swim have never been able to create a good series, ever. They should leave it up to the real masterminds in Japan, thatís what Adult Swim was for, not some gay poorly drawn pictures on a continuous background going around doing stupid ass things.

Lodat225
01-19-2007, 06:04 PM
Heh, i think it's funny.

RickyCrack
01-19-2007, 06:14 PM
The people at Adult Swim have never been able to create a good series, ever. They should leave it up to the real masterminds in Japan, thatís what Adult Swim was for, not some gay poorly drawn pictures on a continuous background going around doing stupid ass things.

Perfect Hair Forever was fucking brilliant.

adombomb222
01-19-2007, 06:17 PM
The first three episodes were funny. Then the same thing happened every other episode.

Llamas
01-19-2007, 06:54 PM
I love Aqua Teen, and have all four seasons on DVD.

Sealab, Robot Chicken, Tom Goes to the Mayor, and Space Ghost are also quality adult swim shows, but none can touch Aqua Teen, IMO.

sk8ter-hater
01-19-2007, 06:58 PM
I liked the Brak Show and Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law. They were awesome. Sealab's not very funny, though. And I don't know what the hell they were thinking with Squidbillies.

Lizardus
01-19-2007, 08:53 PM

Sealab, Robot Chicken, Tom Goes to the Mayor, and Space Ghost are also quality adult swim shows, but none can touch Aqua Teen, IMO.

What about The Venture Bros? Dr. Morpheus owns you!

Jebus
01-19-2007, 09:28 PM
The Venture Bros, Stroker & Hoop, and Tom Goes to the Mayor are the only adult swim shows I really enjoyed watching. I also like Metalocolypse, but I guess most people wouldn't like it unless they're into metal.

Jakebert
01-19-2007, 09:29 PM
Adult Swim has some okish shows, but as a whole, it's nothing but stupid "random" humor, which is second only to American Pie-style sex jokes in terms of shittiness. Sometimes it can be funny, but usually it's not. The best thing on Adult Swim is Futurama, and the genius of David X. Cohen and Matt Groening is way above any of AS's original crap.

Also, Robot Chicken was great for about 2 episodes, but I can't sit through a whole episode anymore, which is saying a lot for something that short.

T-6005
01-19-2007, 09:43 PM
Harvey Birdman is the most unbelievably horrible thing to ever hit television.

And I just watched the entire season of Mortal Kombat Conquest. It's far, far worse than that. I couldn't even sit through the first 5 minutes of the episode.

If any of the other shows are at all like that, count me as keeping far, far away from this disgrace to channels.

Lodat225
01-20-2007, 11:31 AM

Aqua Teen Hungerforce is awesome. I have all seasons on DVD. It's an amazing show.

Endymion
01-20-2007, 11:33 AM
i don't really like sealab. venture bros is by far their best show, and i also like the brak show, harvey birdman, and assy mcgee.

Lodat225
01-20-2007, 11:34 AM
Assy McGee is so weird. I like it.

I think Sealab 2021 and Aqua Teen Hungerforce are the best shows on Adult Swim. Family Guy and Futurama are crap.

0r4ng3
01-20-2007, 11:37 AM
Futurama...crap.

*eye twitch*

I'll just pretend you didn't say that.

*pretend!*

I agree, Family Guy is crap.

Lodat225
01-20-2007, 11:40 AM
Family Guy went downhill since its cancellation. Also, i never really liked Futurama. Just another Simpson/Family Guy ripoff.

Yes, i know Futurama is from the creators of The Simpsons (i think)

Endymion
01-20-2007, 12:45 PM
i find futurama to be much different than the simpsons. notably, i like futurama. yes, there are some similarities in their style of humor, but futurama is still quite different

JohnnyNemesis
01-20-2007, 12:49 PM
I'm currently obsessed with Futurama. When it was on the air I didn't watch it cause I didn't find it too interesting, but I was also a real idiot back then.

And yeah, it's MUCH different from The Simpsons and I don't even understand how anyone can compare it to Family Guy (which fucking sucks, for the most part. Bad enough to steal ideas from The Simpsons, but I've seen them use the EXACT SAME FUCKING JOKES at least 10 times).

0r4ng3
01-20-2007, 12:52 PM
I'm currently obsessed with Futurama. When it was on the air I didn't watch it cause I didn't find it too interesting, but I was also a real idiot back then.
Yeah, same here. I have all four seasons on DVD right now, but I only remember seeing like two episodes when it was on the air.

JohnnyNemesis
01-20-2007, 12:54 PM
I only have Season One right now, but I want the others so bad. The show is just so unbelievably creative and shockingly intelligent sometimes. And FUNNY on top of all that.

Jakebert
01-20-2007, 02:14 PM
Family Guy went downhill since its cancellation. Also, i never really liked Futurama. Just another Simpson/Family Guy ripoff.

Yes, i know Futurama is from the creators of The Simpsons (i think)

How the hell is Futurama anything like the Simpsons other than the animation style, and even that is really only in the character designs. Seriously, the show has a completely different dynamic. You're an idiot.

Anyway, I watched the show back when it was on Fox, but wasn't a huge fan until about the time it was cancelled. It's just plain amazing. It has everything that a TV show should have.

As for the DVD's, Futurama is the only TV show I've ever found on DVD where the commentaries are actually entertaining.

Lodat225
01-20-2007, 03:59 PM
How the hell is Futurama anything like the Simpsons other than the animation style, and even that is really only in the character designs. Seriously, the show has a completely different dynamic. You're an idiot.

Anyway, I watched the show back when it was on Fox, but wasn't a huge fan until about the time it was cancelled. It's just plain amazing. It has everything that a TV show should have.

As for the DVD's, Futurama is the only TV show I've ever found on DVD where the commentaries are actually entertaining.

Yes, i meant that it was the same character designs. I haven't watched much of it so i assumed it was a ripoff. What i did watch though was horrible.

Edit: To your last sentence. Sealab 2021, season 2 DVD.

Grabbal
01-20-2007, 04:43 PM
That show was just amazing..

Lodat225
01-20-2007, 05:30 PM
That show was just amazing..

Which one ?

Jakebert
01-20-2007, 09:09 PM
Yes, i meant that it was the same character designs. I haven't watched much of it so i assumed it was a ripoff. What i did watch though was horrible.

Edit: To your last sentence. Sealab 2021, season 2 DVD.

The character designs are similar because Matt Groening created both shows, and he has a very distinct style. That alone doesn't make it a rip off. And your opinion on what's good and what isn't doesn't hold much weight, seeing as you like the other garbage that's on Adult Swim.

Llamas
01-20-2007, 09:21 PM
early simpsons > early family guy > futurama > late simpsons > late family guy. I think. Futurama didn't remind at ALL of simpsons, though. Obviously the same artist, but how was it a ripoff?? And ripoff of family guy? wtf? Not at ALL. Futurama was a much different show and the only similarity it shared with family guy was that it was an animated sit com.

Jakebert
01-20-2007, 09:32 PM
I'd switch early Family Guy and Futurama. Early Family Guy was decent, but still not as good as Futurama. Family Guy may have had a few more laughs, but Futurama is more about plots and characters, which makes it better than a shallow show like Family Guy.

Llamas
01-20-2007, 09:39 PM
Actually, you're right, futurama was a better show than early family guy. I just liked family guy more, and it's probably because I never took the time to get into the plot on futurama. I got into family guy due to parties where all my friends had the dvds while it was an underground success, so I grew to love the first few seasons, though futurama is a better show.

0r4ng3
01-20-2007, 10:04 PM
What counts as "early Simpsons"? Because I remember seeing a few episodes of the first few seasons, and I found them kind of boring. Y'know, the ones where they tried to teach a lesson or something, and weren't really that funny.

Llamas
01-20-2007, 10:10 PM
They weren't as funny, but I still was into them. But I guess the seasons like 3-7 were the best.

XYlophonetreeZ
01-20-2007, 10:24 PM
Middle-era Simpsons > anything else ever. I thought I remembered Season 8 being the last great season, but I unexpectedly got Season 9 for Christmas and there are actually a lot more good episodes on that season than I thought. I know the show wasn't at its peak much beyond that, though.

Llamas
01-20-2007, 10:36 PM
what season is the show on now? 12?

XYlophonetreeZ
01-20-2007, 10:41 PM
Nah, past that. I think it's actually like 16 or something crazy like that.

Edit: I just looked it up. It's actually the 18th. Holyshit.

Llamas
01-20-2007, 10:44 PM
Oh my god! It's sucked for like 7 years... damn. It feels like it was good more recently.

Little_Miss_1565
01-20-2007, 10:45 PM
GRIZZLEBEE'S!

I love that the insanity of Sealab is episode-by-episode--if you miss one or several or an entire season, you're not going to miss anything that will impede your future comprehension.

Llamas
01-20-2007, 11:02 PM
Haha, that's just how Adult Swim shows are. :p Man, now I really wanna watch some Aqua Teen.

JohnnyNemesis
01-20-2007, 11:25 PM
Seasons 5 - 9 of The Simpsons? Easily the best television has EVER offered ANY of our pathetic lives EVER.

ninthlayer
01-20-2007, 11:42 PM
I find that not all that many people appreciate Tom Goes to the Mayor as much as I do. Just thinking about how amazing that show is makes me second guess my decision to not have cable.

bup bup bup bup bup

Endymion
01-20-2007, 11:45 PM
I find that not all that many people appreciate Tom Goes to the Mayor as much as I do. Just thinking about how amazing that show is makes me second guess my decision to not have cable.

bup bup bup bup bup

the toodleday and rats off to ya episodes are so fantastic

Llamas
01-21-2007, 01:34 AM
Seasons 5 - 9 of The Simpsons? Easily the best television has EVER offered ANY of our pathetic lives EVER.

5-7 are terrific. 8 and 9... I'd have to check. what episodes were in those seasons?

bup bup bup bup bup

I mentioned this show as being one of the best on adult swim. Much love for Tom.

JohnnyNemesis
01-21-2007, 07:22 AM
Season 8 features the greatest episode of all time: You Only Move Twice (http://www.snpp.com/episodes/3F23.html)

That's about 3 seasons worth of awesome in one episode.

Grabbal
01-21-2007, 07:35 AM
Season 8 features the greatest episode of all time: You Only Move Twice (http://www.snpp.com/episodes/3F23.html)

That's about 3 seasons worth of awesome in one episode.

It's also the highest rated episode ever I think..

But "homer's Phobia" from season 8 was also hilarious..

Jakebert
01-21-2007, 08:13 AM
Season 2-9 are what I consider the "classic era" of the Simpsons. Season 2 may be a little slow and emotional, but I still enjoy it. Plus, season 2 has one of the best episodes of all time, "Lisa's Substitute". I don't care if the episode isn't laugh out loud funny, anyone who doesn't smile at the end and feel warm and fuzzy inside is a robot. 3 is underrated as fuck, and 4 is just amazing.

Seasons 10-12 are the lowest the show got. Homer getting raped by a panda? wtfbombs. 13-16 actually were decent, even if not as good as the older episodes. 17-18 are mixed bags. 18 has actually been pretty good so far.

JohnnyNemesis
01-21-2007, 08:16 AM
3 is underrated as fuck, and 4 is just amazing.

Homer at the Bat and Mr. Plow, respectively. Fuckin' amazing.

Seasons 10-12 are the lowest the show got. Homer getting raped by a panda? wtfbombs.

I totally agree. That era fucking sucked. Homer getting raped by a panda was stupid as all hell, but Moe saved it when he said "Heh...you aint goin' nowhere, cutie". To this day, the way they Moe's unbelivable sleaziness is portrayed still cracks me up, that scene serving as one example.

Jakebert
01-21-2007, 08:20 AM
Yeah, normally Moe-heavy episodes are the best ones of the newer seasons.

calichix
01-22-2007, 01:16 AM
oh my god, my best friend made out with MC Chris!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!

RickyCrack
01-22-2007, 02:49 AM
oh my god, my best friend made out with MC Chris!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!

My backpack's got jets. I'm Boba the Fett. I bounty hunt for Jabba Hut to finance my vette.

Little_Miss_1565
01-22-2007, 05:59 AM
My backpack's got jets. I'm Boba the Fett. I bounty hunt for Jabba Hut to finance my vette.

I roll in deep space, a mask is over my face...

XYlophonetreeZ
01-22-2007, 07:02 AM
Plus, newer Simpsons gave us amazing lines such as "Take a hike, you Shatner-stealing Mexico-touchers!"

Lodat225
01-22-2007, 01:00 PM
GRIZZLEBEE'S!

I love that the insanity of Sealab is episode-by-episode--if you miss one or several or an entire season, you're not going to miss anything that will impede your future comprehension.

Yeah! Exactly.

calichix
01-22-2007, 11:44 PM
I beg for Mickey D's, cold mac a McFlurry.
Pulls the Prius into Payless and I start gettin' worried.
Turn on the radio, start listening to Journey