PDA

View Full Version : What are you going to do with your life?

Mota Boy
01-19-2007, 10:53 PM
I'm extremely curious about this. I'm fascinated by the fact that nobody in our generation figures they'll go work at the local automobile factory (or, in the case of my hometown, the twice-exploded hazardous waste treatment plant) for thirty years in order to benefit from a sweet pension plan and a gold watch. Fuck no, we all dream big.

Ironically, despite the fact that everyone swears they'll be a unique snowflake, many of the smartest people I know all turn into the same boring water after being brought into the classroom. As Calvin says, while you drops ponder this, I'll be outside. They all go to New York and get i-banking jobs. Or if not that, some other inane job that promises a shitload of money. These are jobs that suck up many of the most brilliant minds of our generation, draining all their individuality in pursuit of the almighty dollar, and quite frankly it makes me want to puke.

As for me, I plan on figuring out the Chinese and becoming the preeminent scholar on the country and ultimately, over the course of my lifetime, the bridge between China and the West (though, according to my rudimentary reading on the subject, everyone who dives into the Orient thinks that they'll be the one to do this, and so far they've all been wrong). But that's only been my plan for two or three years.

So what of you? Does anyone still aspire to get the gold watch through loyalty if not through ordained birthright?

Here's a second question that's at once completely unrelated and inextirpably linked: how satisfied would you be at merely inspiring genius rather than being it. As I watched the documentary "No Direction Home" (concerning the life of Bob Dylan) today, I couldn't help but attempt to sympathize with Woody Guthrie: how would it feel to be good - neigh, excellent - at what you do, but not revolutionary? How would it feel to be that brilliant, but not that brilliant. To know that you have indelibly inked yourself into the history of rock, into the history of civilization perhaps... but that the way you did it was by inspiring the person that would ultimately shift the world. Could you be satisfied with merely being an accessory to greatness? A footnote to history? Getting that close to genius yourself, but ultimately only able to witness it?

Little_Miss_1565
01-19-2007, 10:55 PM
Snort coke and fuck bitches.

Jakebert
01-19-2007, 11:06 PM
I wanna rock!

T-6005
01-19-2007, 11:21 PM
No idea what I want to do.

Will almost certainly fade into nothingness, reserving my little leftover money for buying lame musical equipment and drugs.

coke_a_holic
01-19-2007, 11:25 PM
Marry rich.

Marco
01-19-2007, 11:42 PM
I'l probably try and be succesful with a band. Of course I'm not going to search for a label here in Italy, so I think a little trip to the UK or to the US will do.

barangatang
01-19-2007, 11:47 PM
Marco, where in Italy are you?

I'm deeply attached to music. I write a tone of songs and posses singing skills, yet I can't really imagine my self becoming famous. I plan to tour with band, not get recognized, break up and become a music teacher for a school or something.

Tizzalicious
01-20-2007, 12:08 AM
I have some ideas, but I don't know it'll all work out, because of health issues. But the plan so far, that seems doable:

I want to get my degree in translating, move to Denmark, and translate from here, it's all work you can do at home anyway, so I have a higher chance of this working out with the migraines a lot better than any other job. In the meantime, I'd like to start my own online store, selling things that I made, if that goes well I'll keep doing it. I need to figure out how and what though, because I have no idea how to get started.

I gave up on the doing something genius years ago. It actually doesn't really matter what I do, I just need to find a way to earn money without being on disability, because I'll most likely won't get anything in Denmark, and working a regular job is out of the question at the moment. So I need to either get healthy, or do my own thing. Both, preferably.

Learning Danish is also on the list of things to do within reasonable time.

Nina
01-20-2007, 12:25 AM
Ironically, despite the fact that everyone swears they'll be a unique snowflake, many of the smartest people I know all turn into the same boring water after being brought into the classroom.

I have noticed the same. And another thing.. my grade had 60 or 70 people...the ones who tried to do the "unique" subjects in university nearly all dropped out or plan on changing their subject. I guess there are different reasoning behind it, but it still saddens me.
Those who did the "normal" and boring jobs seem to be successful and happy.

I want to study Psychology, but the NC is 1.1...and everyone who was insane enough to only have A+ for two years straight and during their graduation seems to be dropping out because they "didnt expect that Math would be involved". vsjfndgbshdiajsdnfjsbnd.

With other words, I am waiting to get in. And I WILL wait. I had an alternative, but I didnt get into the alternative, either.

When people hear what I want to do they suspect I want to be admired for my job only. But that's not the reasoning behind it. I sincerely think it's the only thing I am able to do. I think I'd be great at it. And no other job would make me happy.
Many people (whose business is certainly not my decisions concerning my own future) have claimed that you should not get a job to be happy, since most people arent able to do the job that makes them happy.
First of all, bullshit. And second, even if it was true, it wouldnt stop me from trying it. My "dream" is certainly not an impossible one, either. The qualities you need to have to study this subject are qualities I know I have; and for the first time, there is nobody who can tell me otherwise and convince me with it.

how satisfied would you be at merely inspiring genius rather than being it. [...] how would it feel to be good - neigh, excellent - at what you do, but not revolutionary? How would it feel to be that brilliant, but not that brilliant. To know that you have indelibly inked yourself into the history of rock, into the history of civilization perhaps... but that the way you did it was by inspiring the person that would ultimately shift the world. Could you be satisfied with merely being an accessory to greatness? A footnote to history? Getting that close to genius yourself, but ultimately only able to witness it?

I'd be honored. I dont crave fame in the least bit, I hope to god I'll never be famous. What I want to reach in life is my happiness, the happiness of my loved ones, and a little more humanity in the world. I personally dont believe I'd be able to do something genius, so I most likely wont even try. But if I happen to "help" a genius with my rather "ordinary" work I'd be more than pleased.

noodlesfan
01-20-2007, 12:31 AM
I wanna rock!

you asshole is was i going tgo for me to say and not conglomorate corportaions

Llamas
01-20-2007, 12:33 AM
All I really care about is that I'm teaching. Preferably either college level German history/culture, or any level of ESL. And I have no wish to make an impact on the world anymore. I did when I was a biology major, but I don't really think that would make me as happy. Research changes the world, teaching changes individuals. And I prefer that. Or maybe I'm just chicken.

XYlophonetreeZ
01-20-2007, 12:57 AM
I'm gonna become a leading researcher in island biogeography. Later, I will write books on the subject popularizing the science to the general public, with humor and interesting points of view, not science jargon (a la Douglas Adams in Last Chance to See). So there.

Bazza
01-20-2007, 01:03 AM
When I finish my chemistry degree (which will take another two and half years) I want to work in either petrochemicals or pharmaceuticals. Hopefully working my way up the promotional ladder and earning a respectfull wage. If, however, I can't get a job in those fields I'll just become a teacher (they're crying out for science teachers in the UK).

Endymion
01-20-2007, 01:25 AM
fundamental research into the nature of complex systems, hopefully casting some light onto what this big ol' universe is all about.

HornyPope
01-20-2007, 01:45 AM
Life wouldn't be fun if i had it figured out at 23, would it?

Like every unoriginal asshole, I wanna do something fullilling. What, I don't know. But something! It just doesn't feel right to feel life for yourself, so I want to do something beyond the individual. I figure my presence alone is a grace to this world so i'm not in under pressure to make something this very instant, but somewhere along i'll contribute something.

Concerning part II, I don't mind inspiring genius. I already figured out i'm not one. It was a knock hard realization, yes, but we all have to come to term with who we are. The world would be so much simpler then, It is better to be happy with who I am than to strive for something i'll never be.

F@ BANKZ
01-20-2007, 01:46 AM
I'm going to inhrit huge sums of money from a relative a knew nothing about. Either that or i discover my house was mistakeably build on a huge goldmine.

killer_queen
01-20-2007, 02:15 AM
I've always wanted to be rich. Very rich. Until my dad told me that he would support me financially for all of my life. Then I started to think about jobs I really want to do.

My dad made a lot of decisions abou my life. I don't know if it's a good thing for me and I have plenty of time to find out. I like sociology. I wanted to study sociology although I didn't know what to become in the future. But dad didn't let me. I studied maths and science in high school so I had to be some kind of engineer.
I'm glad that I couldn't get in the university last year because now, being an engineer sounds like shit. I want to study medicine. I want to be a great doctor that everyone respects. Because that's what I need. I'm an attentionwhore. I'm not happy with it but it's who I am. I feel depressed when I'm not being noticed in a group of people.

Anyway, after studying medicine I want to go Africa and work there as a volunteer for a couple of years. Not because I'm a nice and lovely person but because it would gain me lots of experiences.

For the second question, I have to say, are you fucking kidding? That would kill me! Probably that's what's going to happen to me but I'd like to not think about it

Sin Studly
01-20-2007, 03:47 AM
Get myself appointed as Governer to some god-forsaken Oblast in the backend of nowhere (perhaps the Kamchatka Krai or Chuktotka) and conduct an ethnic cleansing. With any luck, Mota Boy will have to deal with me inciting a massacre in Manchuria or something.

Nah, too much effort. Snorting coke and fucking bitches with 1565 sounds fine.

wheelchairman
01-20-2007, 03:49 AM
I've got it figured down to, I want to know things. So I think I'll be a professor in something. Now I just gotta work on my bachelors though. So I wanna know things, and I wanna travel. Luckily neither requires a lot of money. At least not more money than I can make right now as a student, so that's alright. And I live in comfort.

And I don't think Woodie Guthrie knew. However in Bob Dylan's world, it was Woodie Guthrie that shook the world. I don't think I'd mind being a part of something great as opposed to being something great. I don't think I'd mind at all.

But I've already realized I'm not a unique snow flake. I can only take myself as far as my abilities and endurance allow. I might simply burn out and work in the warehouse I am at for the next few decades. It wouldn't be too bad. The pay is good, they give free wine for christmas.

Paint_It_Black
01-20-2007, 04:17 AM
Research changes the world, teaching changes individuals. And I prefer that. Or maybe I'm just chicken.

Research and in fact all knowledge only changes the world once it is taught to individuals. By teaching you change your students. By changing your students you change the world. Don't see it as anything less.

As for me, I just want money. I don't particularly care how I get it. No career interests me enough to allow it to in any way define me. I just want enough money to enjoy myself. Travel, experience new things, indulge any whim as it comes to me, and provide for those I care about. With money I don't think I could ever grow bored in a human lifetime. There's literally a world of possibilities out there. Things to see and do, people to meet, unlimited things to learn. I don't need to make plans. Once I have the money I'll just see what I feel like doing at the time. If I ever have money. Until then I'll content myself doing the same things on a tiny budget.

I would love the chance to inspire greatness in others. But I'm also happy improving the lives of others in any small way. It doesn't need to be great. Just better. I seem to be quite good at helping people. Either with problems, or just aiding in whatever they're doing. I like that. Few people can change the world in a momentous, sudden way. But everyone can slowly, consistently improve it through our interactions with others.

If I die having helped more people than I've harmed, and had fun along the way, I'll consider my existence validated.

mrconeman
01-20-2007, 04:28 AM
I wanna rock!

Win!
I thought of the exact same video when I read the title.

Grabbal
01-20-2007, 04:34 AM
I've always wanted to be a fireman..

Nina
01-20-2007, 04:35 AM
So I wanna know things, and I wanna travel. Luckily neither requires a lot of money.

I agree with that as well. I love to travel. I dont really wish to live in a different country, but I want to experience different cultures and landscapes.

I consider that a part of what would make me happy (thus it is involved in one of my three goals in life).

I also agree on needing and wanting money. Which is why I do want to look for a job that pays well, in case I cant do Psychology. I notice every day how I want to have a different life standard. It would probably be enough for me to be able to eat what I want, which I currently cant do, because the food I want costs too much (ALWAYS buying veggies and fruits requires a crazy amount of money).

Marco
01-20-2007, 05:34 AM
Marco, where in Italy are you?

I'm deeply attached to music. I write a tone of songs and posses singing skills, yet I can't really imagine my self becoming famous. I plan to tour with band, not get recognized, break up and become a music teacher for a school or something.
Nice plan....anyway I live in Trieste.
P.S. Why do you want to know?

Venom Symbiote
01-20-2007, 06:12 AM
Become rich through legit yet lucky/easy means. No point lying about it, I guess.

Ultimate dream I guess is to hopefully land some scriptwriting or co-development movie deals in L.A. in a couple years after getting some further qualifications and a portfolio, but that's pretty unlikely. More realistically will probably be waiting tables and shit while hoping for the best, like every other schmuck over there.

Either that or somehow slay lots of surfer/skater kids on a mass scale. Whatever.

Sin Studly
01-20-2007, 07:47 AM
To be perfectly honest, I'd probably surprise most of you. A little domestic paradise would suit me just fine. A comfortable job without too much stress or responsibility, a nice little house in a small town with good hunting and fishing, a chicken coop, a herb and vegetable garden, a few mastiffs, maybe a pig-pen. And a decent-looking woman of pure Aryan blood, with good child-bearing hips, skin that'll age well, smallish breasts that won't sag, and not much in the way of brains or self-assertion. Virgin preferred, but not required. And eventually a half-dozen kiddies running around.

There's a Vietnamese saying, Mota Boy, and I'm not sure if it's used by the Chinese as well. "May you live in interesting times." To our generation of big-dreamers, barely aquainted with reality, it sounds like a blessing. It's actually one of their culture's strongest curses. Aspiring to greatness is for teenagers and egomaniacs.

Jakebert
01-20-2007, 08:03 AM
I'm on the same page as Sin. What I'm most likely going to college for is business, and from there all I want is a job where I can live comfortably and quietly.

The only other thing I've looked into is being a comedy writer or a sitcom writer or something, but I have no idea how I could even get into that, or if I'm even funny enough to do that kind of work. Well, you don't have to be funny to write most sitcoms, but you know what I mean.

JohnnyNemesis
01-20-2007, 08:08 AM
I'm gonna write (short stories) like crazy, and probably pursue a career that affords me time to pursue that; like a community college professor or something. I think I've built up some decent social networks that will allow me to pursue this.

Rag Doll
01-20-2007, 08:08 AM
I want to have some sort of positive impact. I have a basic idea of what I want to do (law school, followed by either prosecuting sex crimes or doing advocacy work for women & children)....but I am so scared of failing at something somewhere along the line. I think my biggest fear is I will end up being forgotten. I do not want to just be another statistic, another nameless and faceless number. I want to be remembered. And I want to be remembered for doing something totally awesome.

Paint_It_Black
01-20-2007, 08:12 AM
Justin, is your heart totally set on it being a woman?

What? I'm just asking.

killer_queen
01-20-2007, 08:17 AM
I'm gonna write (short stories) like crazy, and probably pursue a career that affords me time to pursue that; like a community college professor or something. I think I've built up some decent social networks that will allow me to pursue this.

This one sounds very cool. Probably because I absolutely love short stories and always wanted to write them. Unfortunately I have no talent.

It's gonna be awesome when you become a very famous writer and I have your signed books.

And Richard, I don't think you have a chance. Even I would be a better life partner than you would with my mudskin.

the_offsprings_monkey
01-20-2007, 08:25 AM
I've always wanted to be a Police Officer. And then after my first two years I wanna move up to the Armed Police. I know it won't change anything in the world. But being it's something I've always wanted to do.

0r4ng3
01-20-2007, 09:55 AM
I really don't have a plan right now, so I'll just go wherever life takes me.

Translation: homeless.

Lizardus
01-20-2007, 10:11 AM
Sell T-Shirts.

adombomb222
01-20-2007, 10:18 AM
Well ever since I was little I had always wanted to be a marine biologist, I still want to be today. I've more changed to not being in a lab and studying fish, Iíd rather study marine behavior and such. I also would like to do something with development in technology to get deeper in to the oceans.

I plan on going to the University of San Diego to study marine biology and literature/philosophy. I would also like to live in California for the rest of my life after college, and not move back to Colorado.

Sin Studly
01-20-2007, 10:22 AM
Justin, is your heart totally set on it being a woman?

What? I'm just asking.

Do you think it's okay for me to wear white on the big night? Just because I'm pure don't make me homosexual asshole!

barangatang
01-20-2007, 11:18 AM
Nice plan....anyway I live in Trieste.
P.S. Why do you want to know?

I'm Italian and I have lots of family up in Italy (in Piedmont, to be exact) My own family always takes long extended trips up to Italy, sometimes for 3 or 4 months. I've never actually been Trieste, but I've driven through it and it looks pretty cool. Do they speak Piedmontese there?

So, to answer your question I guess I would say that I'm plain ol' interested.

Sixpence.
01-20-2007, 11:26 AM
I probably turn out as a poisoner a.k.a. pharmacist.

Betty
01-20-2007, 05:56 PM
I can try and deceive myself into thinking that I have and will make important contributions to society, but it's all relative right?

I am working on my Chemistry PhD now. Some people argue that there's not much point in getting a PhD, but I think it will be a reasonably fun, fulfilling, and educational five years of my life. My past supervisor once said to me that writing a thesis is one of the most rewarding things that you will ever do since it compiles research that is totally yours. You are basically the world expert in the specific topic that you researched for five years, which is pretty neat. Most grad students become jaded and bitter however, but hopefully I can remain reasonably optimistic. My project also has some actual potential. The chances are pretty slim, but I could in theory discover something pretty fucking cool and useful.

This is probably one of my biggest accomplishments to date. Unless you're at a university with a subscription you can't access it, but you can read the abstract at least. It's my second publication, in a reasonably important journal. There are four authors on it, but it's ultimately my baby and I did all the major experimental work for it.

http://pubs3.acs.org/acs/journals/doilookup?in_doi=10.1021/ic0608997

It's basically a "tristable molecular switch"... a molecule that can switch between three magnetic states, in this case based on temperature change.

A lot of people aspire to teach. I TA chem labs now and it's quite enjoyable and rewarding. But I don't think I have that special knack that some people have and don't think I'd want to do it for life.

I've decided that I want to run a (chemistry-related) company. And if not running it, then be a major player in the running of said company. Whether it's something I started, or that somebody else started, I am not sure. I will obviously be earning decent money, but could potentially be earning really decent money. I just think I would be really, really good at it and it would be one of the best things I could do with my abilities (and flaws). Plus, it's pretty much one of my passions and think it would be quite enjoyable (in that somewhat twisted way). How I will get there, I have not entirely figured out, but I trust that life will work itself out and my talent and ambition will carry me there eventually. So that's at least a small aspiration. It's pretty hard to change the world in a gigantic way, particularly if you don't have an incredible personality. I suppose I could eventually write a book, and I could end up doing important research as well. We'll see.

SkunkIt
01-20-2007, 09:28 PM
I'm hoping to become a music teacher, performer or both and currently in the process of getting some kind of music degree.

Also, I wouldn't care if I didn't change the world, if I was happy with what I did and influenced or inspired at least a few people, i'd be happy. Although changing the wopld would be awesome, few people have only done it, out of millions but I believe if you really wanna do something, and push beyond your best (or in some cases for the lucky or extremly gifted, your best), you can.

Now why I said that, my weakest subject is math. I worked my ass off and studied everthing with no teacher help, since home study involved no teachers. My usual grade in math was D or F after I worked my ass off, even when the teachers helped me in class, I did my homework and teachers volenteered to help me with math after school. This time I got an A. I can give a few other examples, but then i'd just be blabbering and yes, I suck at math.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
01-20-2007, 10:46 PM
At this point in life, still taking high school, I base all my classes around the English/writing area, because my dream jobs consist of being a sportswriter, columnist, or music critic. I plan on doing the same in college.

DeAtHsTaR
01-20-2007, 11:11 PM
I wanna rock!

and the win goes to Jakebert.

Vera
01-21-2007, 02:21 AM
This question makes me cry, MB. I want to say that at this point, fuck me if I have any idea but the sucky thing is that I do - I just don't know if I like it, yet.

I need to get into university. Probably Philosophy, even though it's a year since I've last studied any Philosophy and I'm not sure how useful the subject is in anything but I have no other interests. I'm pretty sure I could get into English as well but I don't want to be teaching and translating all my life. People have these misconceptions that I'm good with stuff like writing and languages. People in real life, that is. I have no idea where that concept comes from but I know sure as hell it ain't true and that bothers me because I wonder, what the fuck is my real talent, then? I want to say it's thinking, despite the fact I spend a lot of time drowning my thoughts in entertainment of various vapid forms, I always come back up and have some good thoughts and the like. I enjoy thinking. Enough to study philosophy? Like I said, who the hell knows. But I have to get to uni - I can't afford sitting on my ass another year.

After uni, whatever job it lands me. I want a job that I'll enjoy, at least on some days, and job that pays me enough to live nicely. I want to get my own apartment, go out on Saturdays, and continue my materialistic existence as I have, being able to afford buying DVDs online without it taking away half my food budget for the month - stuff like that. The fact is that realistically, I don't know if that's going to happen. What philosophy major ever became reasonably well-off? But I don't know, really. I just want *that*.

The future makes me cry because I feel utterly incompetent for it. I didn't like high school per se, but things were somehow easier back then, having such a straight goal ahead of me - graduation from high school - and the schedules it provided. I want that back. I'm just floating, everything uncertain.

Whiplash
01-21-2007, 02:49 AM
I'd eather wanne be an architect or start my own construction company.

ninthlayer
01-21-2007, 03:20 AM
I never had any sort of idea what I wanted to become in my grown years as a child. I'm obviously not going to become an astronaut and the military stopped being appealing once I hit the ripe ol' age of 11. So I ended up going to a community college and getting an Associate of the Arts, because why the fuck not? Once I decided what I wanted to do with this trainwreck called life I would at least have some sort of start on my education towards whatever that end.

And get the fuck out of the Midwest.

Sometime towards the end of last summer I decided that I wanted to become an editor. I've never had career direction in my entire fucking life, so this revelation was shocking to me and I decided to just run with it. I mean, I wouldn't consider myself all that creative at all, but I sure do seem to mesh well with people that are. I really like the feeling of being handed a rough draft of a screenplay and being asked my opinion on the piece and for any revising suggestions.

So yeah, I really would rather inspire greatness than be considered great myself. I've never been big on the whole percieved character or personality or whatever the fuck I'd have to tiptoe around to be anything but hated or offensive towards the public en masse. Behind the scenes with a minor note in the liner is just fucking fine to me (but I want to change my name before it gets printed on anything).

JoY
01-21-2007, 09:43 AM
well, I realise what you just worded brilliantly, Mota Boy, like once every few days, but I try to comfort myself with the thought that later, when I grow up, I won't be any less swallowed whole by the masses, than I am now.

I'm one of 360 students in their second year of studying medicine at the "free university" in Amsterdam & I've also been in the year with every single student that's now in his third year & his fourth. I'm number 1424122 & have 52 points from my first two years, that were basically thrown out the window, another 52 points from last year & another 20 points, or something, so far in this year. I am nothing. I'm an ant in an antheap, trying to convince the world, but even more preferably myself, that I want to make a difference, when all I really want is to be part of that gigantic heap of successful, happy, plain, ordinary ants.

nieh
01-21-2007, 11:24 AM
I'm probably going to end up working in office positions for the rest of my life. I don't have enough time or money to push myself into any other direction right now. I have been getting pretty decent pay compared to normal considering the ridiculous amount of hours I've been putting in lately, but most of that money is going towards other things right now and by the time that stuff's done sucking my money away, the overtime probably won't be available anymore due to us finally getting more staffing in the not too distant future (Supposedly anyway. We've had a lot of people come and go after a couple weeks). If I have money, it's because I'm putting in so much time at work that I have no time to otherwise better my situation (no time for going back to school, no time to teach myself things I've been telling myself for years I should learn, no time to be creative even if being creative only consists of turning stupid inside jokes into stupid self-indulgent stories that would probably never be picked up anywhere) and if by chance I AM using the money on something like school, then I don't have the time to continue doing overtime and end up drying myself out and having to take a lot of time off from school while I save up more money for my next set of classes. This kind of proves the idea that time does in fact equal money.

calichix
01-21-2007, 03:22 PM
Ima be a nurse and go all Florence Nightengale on everyone's ass. There's too many mean nurses in the universe. I think if I was on my death bed and a nurse was mean to me I'd lose the will to live but if she was nice and not a F'lip I'd be like, "Hey, the world rules!'' and trudge on.

Endymion
01-21-2007, 07:23 PM
Jerri Blank: If youíre going to reach for a star, reach for the lowest one you can! Iím gonna work at the artificial flower plant plant!

White_Dragon
01-21-2007, 09:37 PM
Stealing and selling drugs.
You can't beat that.

calichix
01-21-2007, 11:36 PM
some of the most sane, stable, wealthy people I've ever known have been drug dealers.

ninthlayer
01-21-2007, 11:41 PM
That may be true and all, but the dragon person is just trying to be shocking and counter-culture.

Sin Studly
01-22-2007, 12:10 AM
http://vindicare.hautetfort.com/images/medium_tony_montana1.jpg
Don't give a fuck
If it's good enough for joo

JoY
01-22-2007, 03:28 AM
now I have time to answer this question;

Here's a second question that's at once completely unrelated and inextirpably linked: how satisfied would you be at merely inspiring genius rather than being it. As I watched the documentary "No Way Home" (concerning the life of Bob Dylan) today, I couldn't help but attempt to sympathize with Woody Guthrie: how would it feel to be good - neigh, excellent - at what you do, but not revolutionary? How would it feel to be that brilliant, but not that brilliant. To know that you have indelibly inked yourself into the history of rock, into the history of civilization perhaps... but that the way you did it was by inspiring the person that would ultimately shift the world. Could you be satisfied with merely being an accessory to greatness? A footnote to history? Getting that close to genius yourself, but ultimately only able to witness it?

there are many people I look upto for what they do & how they do it. I used to be frustrated, knowing that there are certain things I'm fairly good at, but with the knowledge that I can't pull it of the way some others can & that you have to do things not only good, but with a certain style & flair to make "it" happen. & even if you have these qualities, it's unlikely you'll ever be on top in that area, because whatever talent you have, there will be people with the same talent with different additional qualities, that'll make their success too, be it in a different way. the best you can hope for is becoming one of the best, because when it comes to the absolute bests, you can't compare them, since they've all got their own personal twist to things, thanks to that unique mix of qualities that makes you. this way I gave up on a lot of things I love to do. one thing sticked & that was playing the violin. though I'm not that brilliant at it, I'm pretty successful with it, much more successful than I ever thought I would be. in the mean time my view on things has drastically changed.

maybe it's not at all about being extremely brilliant at something, but about how you do it & the way you present it. that's my experience with playing the violin anyway. don't overestimate this planet. the general public can't concentrate & listen hours in a row & can't handle a superdifficult, supercomplicated concerto, or appreciate it for what it is. people often ask me if I don't mind only playing in the background at parties, weddings & such, but it's perfect if you ask me. no audience with eyes filled with expectations to be blown out of their seats, softly coughing in their hands, secretly answering phones ("I'm in a concert, call you back later"), whispering to their neighbours, going from the tip of their chair to sitting back all the way, possibly even suppressing a yawn...

I imagine being the best of the best is a bitter, lonely position to be in, in which you easily lose touch with whoever is unable to understand the greatness of your accomplishments & the effort that has gone into it (which would be.. generally everyone). also, I dislike the side effects of competition with every bone in my body. I don't mind losing & I can sincerely congratulate those who beat me at something by being better at it than I am. I rather let someone beat me by giving them advantage, or helping them, than being drawn into an emotional competing-fest, where people are going to end up disappointed, feeling defeated. competition feeds a goal; the goal of better achievements & continuous improvement. not of self-admiration. if I can inspire someone to make a world shifting discovery, or achievement, I'd sincerely be honoured & superglad I was involved in the process somehow.

Mota Boy
01-22-2007, 10:12 AM
There's a Vietnamese saying, Mota, and I'm not sure if it's used by the Chinese as well. "May you live in interesting times." To our generation of big-dreamers, barely aquainted with reality, it sounds like a blessing. It's actually one of their culture's strongest curses. Aspiring to greatness is for teenagers and egomaniacs.The Chinese have the same saying with the same connotations. I think I actually wrote something about it on one of the earlier incarnations of the board (as a teenager). Interesting times are only fulfilling for a few leaders, but it's still somewhat a draw for me. I remember when I was, like, five or something, lying in bed at night and crying because I realized that I was born a few centuries too late to explore the New World, but a few centuries too early to explore the stars. There's some balance between the flash-boom excitement of, say, growing up in Italy during WWII and the slow grind of rural civilization. My hometown's about as uninteresting as you can get, and as such it's overrun with poverty and drug use. There needs to be at least enough excitement going on to keep the brain from atrophying.

Mota Boy
01-22-2007, 10:26 AM
I'm gonna write (short stories) like crazy, and probably pursue a career that affords me time to pursue that; like a community college professor or something. I think I've built up some decent social networks that will allow me to pursue this.Rick, do you know (semi-famous Dominican-American author who is aand writing professor at MIT) Junot Diaz? I saw him speak a little while ago and it was a trip. He giggled and swore constantly and just came across as the happiest dude ever, which was a bit odd when contrasted with the selections he decided to read to us. My favorite line was when he was talking about being forced to wear different hats and how he had to act differently as a professor than as a lecturer. "Man, I'm fucking mean to my students, yo. *chuckle* If they come in late, I'll be like 'Turn around, get the fuck out of here.' *giggling* Man, I don't even know why I do it, either." *bursts out laughing*

Sin Studly
01-22-2007, 11:39 AM
The Chinese have the same saying with the same connotations. I think I actually wrote something about it on one of the earlier incarnations of the board (as a teenager). Interesting times are only fulfilling for a few leaders, but it's still somewhat a draw for me. I remember when I was, like, five or something, lying in bed at night and crying because I realized that I was born a few centuries too late to explore the New World, but a few centuries too early to explore the stars. There's some balance between the flash-boom excitement of, say, growing up in Italy during WWII and the slow grind of rural civilization. My hometown's about as uninteresting as you can get, and as such it's overrun with poverty and drug use. There needs to be at least enough excitement going on to keep the brain from atrophying.

I understand where you're coming from. I was born in a silver boomtown. The Queen of Australian boomtowns, and far enough inland to be worthless agriculturally, so I guess she's comparable to your Tombstone or Africa's Kimberley. I was born after the worst of it, naturally, but I know her history well, and I lived through the mines running dry, which came as a sudden blow rather than the slow rural decay of the agricultural heartlands. I can fully appreciate uninteresting times, and hope to live happily through them.

Marco
01-22-2007, 11:42 AM
I'm Italian and I have lots of family up in Italy (in Piedmont, to be exact) My own family always takes long extended trips up to Italy, sometimes for 3 or 4 months. I've never actually been Trieste, but I've driven through it and it looks pretty cool. Do they speak Piedmontese there?

So, to answer your question I guess I would say that I'm plain ol' interested.
Well, no. We speak a dialect which is similar to the one they have in Venice. Piemontese is only spoken in.....Piemonte!
And yes, Trieste is pretty cool. There are places where you'd say you're in the mountains, but is a city near the sea. Also, every October, there's one of the most famous Italian regattas, the Barcolana. It's so awesome to see thousand of boats all at once in Trieste's gulf...

Anyway, coffee tradition excluded, there are very good restaurants, even if it is normal here in Italy.:)
TrIeste has a serie B soccer team which is not doing bad, and a good looking stadium whith a capacity of 32 thousand seats.
http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/europe/italy/friuli_venezia_giulia/trieste_rocco.jpg
One thing you should visit is Miramare's castle, where princess Sissi lived. It's all white, and almost on the sea, with a garden that could create envy to the English...;) http://www.wintricks.it/foto/trieste.jpg
There are lots of other places to visit [churces (Trieste is the city with the most kinds of religions in Italy), a lighthouse (Faro della Vittoria), other castles, caves...etc.) but you just have to see Piazza Unità. This square faces the sea and is surrounded by nice buildings (Austro-Hungarian period methinks).

http://www.cinoricci.it/girovela2004/percorso/trieste/foto02g.jpg

Roman Theatre^^^^

JohnnyNemesis
01-22-2007, 11:49 AM
Rick, do you know (semi-famous Dominican-American author who is aand writing professor at MIT) Junot Diaz? I saw him speak a little while ago and it was a trip. He giggled and swore constantly and just came across as the happiest dude ever, which was a bit odd when contrasted with the selections he decided to read to us. My favorite line was when he was talking about being forced to wear different hats and how he had to act differently as a professor than as a lecturer. "Man, I'm fucking mean to my students, yo. *chuckle* If they come in late, I'll be like 'Turn around, get the fuck out of here.' *giggling* Man, I don't even know why I do it, either." *bursts out laughing*

Duuuuuuuude! I'm all about Junot Diaz! That's fuckin' awesome, man.

Marco
01-22-2007, 11:51 AM
http://www.istrianet.org/istria/architecture/lighthouses/images/trieste-faro1.jpgFaro della Vittoria
http://eeyore.astro.uiuc.edu/pics/italy/trieste/triesteandcliff2.jpg (http://eeyore.astro.uiuc.edu/pics/italy/trieste/triesteandcliff.jpg)
Piazza Unità:
http://www.hoteldagon.it/foto/trieste0.jpg
http://home.jtan.com/~cfn/SITE-SECTIONS/FAM-EUROPE-PAGES/TRIESTE/Trieste.jpg
http://www.meteogiornale.it/images/news/midi/12239b.jpg
On the bridge you se at hte end there's a James Joyce statue...he lived here.
http://www.istrianet.org/istria/illustri/non-istrian/joyce/images/statue-ponterosso1-165.jpg

StayInTheHouseCarl
01-22-2007, 01:24 PM
i wanna live in a van down by the river.

Bazza
01-22-2007, 01:30 PM
I am working on my Chemistry PhD now.
Wow, a fellow Chemistry studier, although I'm only in my second year of a masters.

I've decided that I want to run a (chemistry-related) company....
If you succeed and are in desperate need of a representative in the UK, then look no further than me :p

JoY
01-22-2007, 03:17 PM
in addition to what's been said here & especially to what Mota Boy said about the current days & the discoveries that lay behind us & ahead of us; in the Netherlands we have this inventors' program in which new discoveries by silly people, who do this all day & try to think outside a box they can't ever get out of, are presented to be judged & if they get a positive judgement, they'll get support in the process of bringing their inventions on the market. we're talking cellphone rests you can put your cellphone on while it's loading..

every time I watch that show, I have a difficult time staying serious & thinking; "oh yes, that could be mighty useful, indeed!". I mean, I try to see the point & I try to see why they, or others would need the product they created in their heads, before actually producing it & presenting it to a panel of judges on a national television show. the other day, when I was actually watching it (because I don't have a television), I was thinking; "what if we lived, let's say in 1870.. & someone stepped forward, who'd invented the actual phone, we now design retarded rests for while it's freakin' loading.." are we so fucking satisfied with this planet, that's so full of shit, that we can't think of anything new & useful? are we so busy being individuals, that we can't think of stuff that could help people in desperate need of it, simply because we don't directly need it? or is it simple lack of creativity? it just can't be so, that everything we desperately need in this society has already been invented & needs adjustment/improvement at most, or more accessories for comfort in using.

useless thought & useless post, but Mota Boy's post reminded me of that.

HornyPope
01-22-2007, 07:25 PM
We live in shitty good times.

I hate this world.

calichix
01-23-2007, 12:45 AM
wanting to save the world ultimately ends up being a bummer. once people realize how unrealistic it is they give up and become accountants and lose sight of all the philanthropic intentions they had in the first place. there's really something to be said for aiming small in a big way. although Mota Boy makes me wish I'd taken one of the universities I was accepted to up on their offers.

justin, what happened to your 40 concubines? I was saving myself.

Sin Studly
01-23-2007, 01:30 AM
The concubines are to be buried alive with me to serve me in the afterlife.

Rocky-girl
01-23-2007, 03:37 AM
One wise person said:Life is perfect when you live it and awful when you think about it.
So I'll live it!

MindlessSelfIndulgent
01-23-2007, 08:10 AM
I iz gonna b greatest fashiondesigner ever!!!

Whiplash
01-23-2007, 08:12 AM
I wanne snort cocaine all day long while smoking reefer and watching to porn while playing with myself. Thats my future.

killer_queen
01-23-2007, 09:02 AM
Whiplash, it must be "wanna". Actually it would be a lot better if you say "want to".

Whiplash
01-23-2007, 09:03 AM
Thats just how i role, ANARCHY!!!! .......................right.:rolleyes:

Sinister
01-23-2007, 09:09 AM
I'm aiming for the translation business, but when I get there I'll write stuff/try to start a band and hope one of these occupations becomes permanent.

Isolated Fury
01-23-2007, 10:03 AM
I was considering teaching for the longest time. I know that it isn't a glamorous career, but it's what I felt I wanted to do. But now, I really don't know. I feel like there's too mch pressure in teaching. So I've been wandering through my college classes thinking about what I want to do. I mostly just want to have a family. I want people that love me that I can come home to after a long day at work. I want little ones shuffling about the floor asking me to pick them up. I want a wife that will greet me with loving arms and a soft heart. I want to protect them. That's what I want..

Sunny
01-23-2007, 03:00 PM
I want little ones shuffling about the floor asking me to pick them up. I want a wife that will greet me with loving arms and a soft heart.

that sounds like something from the good wife's guide (http://j-walk.com/other/goodwife/images/goodwifeguide.gif).

i'm a cynical asshole i guess.

i'll make a more worthwhile contribution.. ie, an actual reply.. later. =p

Isolated Fury
01-23-2007, 03:22 PM
Because that's exactly what I meant.

Wolfbutter
01-23-2007, 04:20 PM
i wanna be a teacher

Sunny
01-23-2007, 05:28 PM
oook.

this is my last semester of school, so... good question =p. i want to be a package/promotion designer for a beauty company. or a luxury branding company, either way. my dream is to work for pentagram... but it's kinda a long shot, so... =p i'm also one of those "i wanna be rich dammit" assholes, and i'm fine with it. i'm not expecting to make tons right out of college, but i know that i can make a good amount of money eventually. or, uh, so i hope.

i wouldn't mind having my own design firm, but it's not a priority. i do want to get into product design... ceramics, lighting fixtures, textiles. and stuff.

i might get around to making some "redheaded puppies" (as charlie's coworker creepily put it) eventually, although that remains to be figured out.

i wanna live in europe again. we've been thinking about moving to Ireland in a couple of years, and it's pretty damn exciting.

on a more broad note, i want to be half the woman my mom is.

oh, and i want a whole fucking army of tibetan terriers. one is totally not enough.

Sin Studly
01-23-2007, 06:03 PM
Tibetan mastiffs = better choice.

HornyPope
01-23-2007, 08:25 PM
Know Mags that if you get rich, I will have to ask for a fee for this pre-nose-job we verbally agreed on.

Killboy
01-24-2007, 04:05 PM
Well, I'm currently on the 5th semester of my professional career to become a System Engineer... If that doesn't work too well, I plan to explote my talent as a musician, even though I know no fuck about it and I suck at singing!

WallaWalla
01-28-2007, 02:14 PM
Jerri Blank: If youíre going to reach for a star, reach for the lowest one you can! Iím gonna work at the artificial flower plant plant!

At least reach for a star over a "plant" with real plants (flowers too) The smell of plastic or the smell of flowers for 8 hours a day. Something like in downtown LA. :-)