PDA

View Full Version : The Pink Floyd Discussion Thread.

Jakebert
01-20-2007, 08:43 AM
In my time here, I don't think I've ever seen a whole thread dedicated to Pink Floyd. Maybe I missed it, but I haven't seen it. Well, anyway, I just bought "Obscured By Clouds", and now I feel like making a thread about them.
You know the usual topics.

Anyway, the only Floyd album I don't have now is "Ummagumma", which I have no idea if it's any good or not. I've heard both bad and good things about it. Anyone got any advice on that one?

Forza
01-20-2007, 10:21 AM
I can't really help you on this one. I've only listened Dark Side Of The Moon, Wish You Were Here, The Wall and The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn so far.

Syd Barrett was a genious!

Jakebert
01-20-2007, 11:04 AM
Agreed fo sho. "Piper At The Gates of Dawn" is brilliant.

HornyPope
01-20-2007, 01:42 PM
Ummagumma is pretty awesome if you liked Obscured by Clouds. It's something between Meddle and Saucerful of secrets in terms of music quality imho and and in terms of genre deriviation. The first half is really great, with very notable tracks like Astronomy domine that some Floydians adore, but personally i'm less than ecstatic about it, and Set the controls for the heart of the sun, which is my personal fave of the album if I had to pick. Another good song is A saucerful of secrets, but the best rendition of the latter was done in the Live in Pompei album.

mrconeman
01-20-2007, 02:00 PM
Speaking of which, live in Pompeii is amazing. Theres just something so entirely eerie about it. Not to mention just an immense performance from the band.

Seeing as Pulse is their latest release, what's everyones opinion?

Jakebert
01-20-2007, 02:03 PM
Then I'll buy it next time I see it cheapish and have money.

Seeing as Pulse is their latest release, what's everyones opinion?

I haven't seen the actual DVD version of it, but I watched the preview of it that they had on VH1 Classic in like June. The performance itself was pretty good, but the quality of the video was a little less than impressive compared to some of the other concert DVD's I've seen.

Prox
01-20-2007, 03:56 PM
http://www.offspring.com/forums/search.php?searchid=953714

Use the search button, n00b.

mrconeman
01-20-2007, 04:04 PM
To be fair most of those threads sucked, this one has potential.

On Pulse: I think it's heavily great. I know I enjoy the post Waters era of Floyd probably more than the average Floyd fan, I think they gave a brilliant performance on the DVD.

Bazza
01-20-2007, 05:04 PM
http://www.offspring.com/forums/search.php?searchid=953714

Use the search button, n00b.
Oh the irony....

On Pink Floyd: I really like Dark Side Of The Moon and Wish You Were Here, the song Wish You Were Here being one of my favourites. I've heard a few songs sung by Syd, and I really like them as well, such a shame what happened to him.

Jakebert
01-20-2007, 09:25 PM
One thing I think might be an interesting point of discussion: am I the only person who thinks that The Wall is incredibly overrated?

It's not that it's horrible. The good songs on it, such as Comfortably Numb, Hey You, and In the Flesh?, are on par with any of the band's best work, but there's a shitload of just really forgettable stuff on there. I've always found it to be incredibly inconsistant. Plus, it's really the album that marks the end of Pink Floyd. It's when Roger basically took over the band, and his pretentious talk-singing on the album shows what would come on the horrible "The Final Cut". As Gilmour put it, "the balance between the words and the music was lost". Plus, Roger's vocals on the album are among the worst he's ever recorded.

I don't understand why it's considered to be such a classic. Yes, the concept is ambitious, but that doesn't mean it was executed well. A lot of the songs that are there simply to advance the story are just kind of pointless musically. Also, the story shows more and more of Roger's obsession with himself, something else that would become a major problem on "The Final Cut".

So, long post aside, what do you guys think of "The Wall"?

mrconeman
01-20-2007, 09:38 PM
Agreed for the most part. Mainstream view is that it's this amazing classic, but it's pretty sub-par compared to what I would call a Floyd classic.
Something like Meddle and Animals is the true genius work of Pink Floyd, in my opinion anyway.

I do however, love The Wall. Just not nearly as much as other albums, but as you say there is alot of pointless filler tunes on there, with a few brilliant ones, so yeah, it's a slightly over average album for Floyd carried along by a few excellent tracks.

edits: And agreed on the Final Cut (with the exception of two suns in the sunset). I think it might have been you that once told me that the album was going to be named "Spare Bricks" because it was pretty much just left overs from The Wall, which explains the heavily similar sound.

Jakebert
01-21-2007, 08:32 AM
Yeah, I heard that too. I heard that's one of the things that made Gilmour upset, he didn't understand why they were making an album with songs they'd already rejected.

Bazza
01-21-2007, 08:35 AM
Yeah, I heard that too. I heard that's one of the things that made Gilmour upset, he didn't understand why they were making an album with songs they'd already rejected.

That's record labels for you, constantly churning out Greatest Hits, Live albums, and rarities/rejects in order to make more money.

I can see why The Wall is overated, but then at the same time it's still an incredible peice of work. Though the classic Floyd will always be best.

*starts to play Pink Floyd*

Jakebert
01-21-2007, 08:48 AM
The Final Cut wasn't a record label thing. It was the band's bassist who did that, not their label.

Bazza
01-21-2007, 08:49 AM
The Final Cut wasn't a record label thing. It was the band's bassist who did that, not their label.

Ok, my bad.

Why/how did he do it? Surely he'd need the other band members permission?

mrconeman
01-21-2007, 09:12 AM
Ok, my bad.

Why/how did he do it? Surely he'd need the other band members permission?

This was one of the reasons there was so much turmoil on Pink Floyds part. The bassist/co-lead vocalist, sort of took over the band around that period. David Gilmour certainly didn't want the Final Cut to sound how it did, he got writing credits on one song "Not Now John". He wanted more time to write more songs, but Waters wanted to put it out as it was.
Basically the bassist was a control freak.

Marco
01-21-2007, 10:06 AM
I'm not really into they're music, and I only have "Another Brick in The Wall part 2", but I saw them at Live 8 and listened to some other stuff, and I think that they have agreat ability to create (spooky?) atmospheres...

Thomas
06-22-2007, 11:25 AM
I bumped this thread to ask a question. Does anyone know the time signature in Money? I have been thinking hat it was 5/4, but I'm starting to think that I'm wrong. Maybe 9/8? Somebody tell me what it is please. It's driving me nuts.

mrconeman
06-22-2007, 11:28 AM
7/8 untill the guitar solo, then its 4/4, then back to 7/8

Thomas
06-22-2007, 11:47 AM
Thank you.

momo1tx
06-22-2007, 04:59 PM
I thought the "major" Pink Floyd albums were pretty good, but Meddle is probably my favorite. I never tire of One of These Days and Echoes. I thought the Wall was really good, mainly the first disc, the second disc has a lot of filler. And Wish You Were Here (the album) is overrated.

mrconeman
06-22-2007, 05:16 PM
I thought the "major" Pink Floyd albums were pretty good, but Meddle is probably my favorite. I never tire of One of These Days and Echoes. I thought the Wall was really good, mainly the first disc, the second disc has a lot of filler. And Wish You Were Here (the album) is overrated.

Just to get some discussion going in this thread and because I'm mind numbingly bored, I'll respond with thoughts on all of your points.

The major Floyd albums as people would know them, are indeed good albums, I personally don't find them as good as say Animals, and though many people aren't fans of the later Floyd, I really love The Division Bell.

Meddle is a wonderful album, obviously the standout track being Echoes, but it's all good stuff.

The Wall is my favourite concept album. I feel it gets too much negative views cast on it, even by Floyd fans. People say that the shorter songs are filler, where as I think they are used extremely effectively to carry the story, alot of the smaller songs use small motifs from the larger songs, causing what some fans interperet as lazyness in the song writing but combined with the lyrics form integral parts of the concept, what I'm saying is I feel they are far too important to be considered filler, even if they are similar or too short to be musically interesting.

Musically I would certaintly agree that these songs don't contribute much to the album, but overall in terms of music the Wall is one of the worst Floyd albums, it's a much more lyric driven collection of songs. I know people tend to latch to a particular species of Floyd, the psych era with Syd, the collaborative years in Syd's wake, the lyric dominant work of Roger, or the music dominant work of the later Dave Gilmour albums, personally I find all of them have their strengths and weaknesses, but I just totally love Rogers lyrical works on The Wall.

I'd also say that Wish You Were Here is the album that gets the most deserved amount of praise, it's really quite well done.

There. That should get people talking.

Andy
06-22-2007, 05:20 PM
I haven't read the full thread yet (yes, i know it's only 11 posts long but it's late) but I'll add my piece.

I've never really got Pink Floyd. I've got to put up my hands and admit that I have never fully listened to a Floyd record all the way through, but what I have heard and know I'm no fan. It seems like too much damn effort to enjoy. That, and I'd say 9/10 Floyd fans I've met have been complete pretentious pricks who only like the band because "y'know..They like completely broke boundaries, man!"

Shut the fuck up and cut your hair.

momo1tx
06-22-2007, 05:41 PM
I understand what you mean about the second disc of the Wall, but i think the short tracks on, say, Tommy are more effectively done to serve album's concept. The Wall probably is my favorite concept album though, lots of good songs that both fit the album and stand alone great.

Wish You Were Here the song is great, but the rest of the album doesnt do anything for me.

barangatang
06-23-2007, 01:44 AM
I own Meddle and A Saucerfull Full of Secrets. That shit's amazing. Echoes...

Cejus
06-23-2007, 04:18 AM
Wish You Were Here the song is great, but the rest of the album doesnt do anything for me.
But what about "Shine on you crazy diamond"? I like it even more than "Wish you were here"...

Jakebert
06-23-2007, 09:38 AM
Wish You Were Here is a great album, but I do think it gets a little hyped up. Shine On and the title track are amazing, but Have a Cigar and Welcome to the Machine are just average. I like both of them, but I don't think that they're really standout tracks or anything.

mrconeman
06-23-2007, 06:14 PM
I agree, in context of the album, but the keyboard work on Welcome to the Machine makes it all worth it

momo1tx
06-23-2007, 06:16 PM
This might sounds strange, but I think Shine On is overrated. Some incredible parts scattered throughout, but some parts are quite feeble. Only thing I like from Have a Cigar is the solo at the end, and Welcome to the Machine is probably better than I give it credit, but I'm just not overly interested in it.

Thomas
07-07-2007, 09:46 PM
I just wanted to say that Roger Waters just played at Live Earth and he sucked major ass.

HornyPope
07-07-2007, 10:59 PM
The major Floyd albums as people would know them, are indeed good albums, I personally don't find them as good as say Animals, and though many people aren't fans of the later Floyd, I really love The Division Bell.

Meddle is a wonderful album, obviously the standout track being Echoes, but it's all good stuff.

The Wall is my favourite concept album. I feel it gets too much negative views cast on it, even by Floyd fans. People say that the shorter songs are filler, where as I think they are used extremely effectively to carry the story, alot of the smaller songs use small motifs from the larger songs, causing what some fans interperet as lazyness in the song writing but combined with the lyrics form integral parts of the concept, what I'm saying is I feel they are far too important to be considered filler, even if they are similar or too short to be musically interesting.

Musically I would certaintly agree that these songs don't contribute much to the album, but overall in terms of music the Wall is one of the worst Floyd albums, it's a much more lyric driven collection of songs. I know people tend to latch to a particular species of Floyd, the psych era with Syd, the collaborative years in Syd's wake, the lyric dominant work of Roger, or the music dominant work of the later Dave Gilmour albums, personally I find all of them have their strengths and weaknesses, but I just totally love Rogers lyrical works on The Wall.

I want to agree.

HornyPope
07-31-2007, 09:44 PM
Time video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiwAwcT-HRU)

mrconeman
11-27-2007, 10:15 AM
bump for a 2 part Radio documentary thing that aired the other day, online for streaming. Pretty good so far.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/musicclub/events_pinkfloyd.shtml

not sure how long this will stay up for.

Jakebert
11-27-2007, 11:30 AM
Sweet. I can't wait to listen.