PDA

View Full Version : Story behind a recurring Offspring theme?

Ladnav
01-20-2007, 01:00 PM
I've been wondering about this for quite some time and I'm sure it must have already been adressed but I've noticed that many of their songs are about the deaths of loved ones (No Hero, Gone Away, End of the Line, etc). I was just curious if anyone knows if these are based on personal experiences or if they were written in the same fashion as Self Esteem (by hearing others talk about the experience).

Tijs
01-20-2007, 01:42 PM
Warning ahead:

Do not talk about the personal lives of the Offspring. Do no speculate since you can never be sure.

If they mentioned something about it in an interview, than of course it's okay to talk about and mention it.

ZagmenO
01-20-2007, 03:07 PM
I think they just wrote those songs for the hell of it.

Ladnav
01-20-2007, 09:21 PM
Warning ahead:

Do not talk about the personal lives of the Offspring. Do no speculate since you can never be sure.

If they mentioned something about it in an interview, than of course it's okay to talk about and mention it.

Okay. Just wondering if they had in fact mentioned it anywhere. I know they said that the origin of Self Esteem and many of their other songs were impersonal and based on the easily-relatable accounts other people.

As curious as I am about this, asking the question makes me feel like the kind of duschebag that would buy tabloids and dig into the affairs of others for my own entertainment... only tabloids about cool people.

F@ BANKZ
01-21-2007, 02:06 AM
Most likely they only wrote it because it's a very powerful theme and one they are experienced writing with.

Iamstupid
01-21-2007, 02:35 AM
I hear somewhere (I think it's Noodles who has told that but I'm not sure) that The Kid's Aren't Alright was based on true fakts, like when they tell about Brandon ect ect...

Tijs
01-21-2007, 06:08 AM
Wasn't TKAA based on Dexter's old neighborhood? I think I read in an interview that that he drover around in his old neighborhood and saw how it all went downhill there.

Biggest offspring fan
01-21-2007, 06:26 AM
Wasn't TKAA based on Dexter's old neighborhood? I think I read in an interview that that he drover around in his old neighborhood and saw how it all went downhill there.

Thats right... Read this it says something:

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/7017/page18xz6lq.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Grabbal
01-21-2007, 06:35 AM

See it in the greatest hits interview..

F@ BANKZ
01-21-2007, 11:27 AM
I hear Self Esteem was based quite closely to an anonomous friend of the band, she was a girld but they changed the lyrics because otherwise...Well it just wouldn't work would it?

Tonza
01-21-2007, 11:40 AM
I don't know any facts and I don't wanna jump into their personal lives, but I think that especially Gone Away has so much emotion in it that I would be surprised if it was just a story from Dexter's mind. Otherwise Dexter really does well playing of emotions and if it's so, he really is something next to god (from above)

DexterWannabe
01-21-2007, 11:49 AM
i like personal songs cuz the band puts so much more energy in it. and i totally respect not to talk about their privatelive, i mean i got alot of things i do want my future fans to discuss (as dead family members)

rlplaymaker
01-21-2007, 04:58 PM
wheres that magazine interview from?

Venom Symbiote
01-21-2007, 05:59 PM
I think the thing you've gotta keep in mind is, these songs are loosely based on these situations. Dexter's not very literal in the way he writes lyrics, they're most likely a combination of different scenarios, or else vague representations.

"Self Esteem" is not about Dexter, although he may have experienced something similar.

"Spare Me The Details", likewise, is a general thing most guys can relate to.

Most of their songs aren't quite that singular. They're vague and able to be empathised with by a lot of people because of it.

Bazza
01-22-2007, 02:17 AM
I heard that Dexter wrote Hit That after he had a struggle to find his pet dog and get it castrated, at least that's what I heard....

I'd have to agree with what Venom Symbiote said, essentialy the songs can be realted to by anyone from different angles. Whilst the songs could be about general situations I feel Dexter has tried to make them a bit more human. It makes for a much better song if the composer puts some feeling into it.

So whilst Gone Away is about losing someone, Dexter might not be refering to anyone in specific. The majority of people have had a relative or someone close to them die, and therefore can easily relate to this song, regardless of who the song is supposedly for. If that makes any sense?

Forza
01-22-2007, 04:12 AM
Well it was said Gone Away was about something I can't say because it's about Dexters personal life but [unfounded rumor deleted by 1565]

Little_Miss_1565
01-22-2007, 06:05 AM
Well it was said Gone Away was about something I can't say because it's about Dexters personal life but [unfounded rumor deleted by 1565]

Forza, seriously, what the hell. You start out by saying "I can't talk about Gone Away so I can't say this, but..." and then continue on to say something anyway, trying spread a totally unproven rumor. If we can't discuss the band's personal lives, how about not discussing the band's personal lives? The reason we don't talk about "Gone Away" on here is because Dexter has repeatedly refused to talk about it in interviews. In that absense of information from him, people have just freaked out and made stuff up trying to make it sound sensational. So basically, show some respect.

darea
01-22-2007, 06:23 AM

yeah I read that in an interview, the interview was posted in the "post every offspring picture you have" thread, about it being based on dexter's old neighborhood

Forza
01-22-2007, 06:42 AM
Damn, that was the most original sentence I ever wrote in english and now you edited it :(

Still it kinda sucks. When I first listened to Gone Away I thought "Hey, lets find out what it's about".. and pretty much any page said the same.
How personal is something when you write a song about it and basically share it with everyone? Don't write the song then.

Jakebert
01-22-2007, 01:24 PM
Damn, that was the most original sentence I ever wrote in english and now you edited it :(

Still it kinda sucks. When I first listened to Gone Away I thought "Hey, lets find out what it's about".. and pretty much any page said the same.
How personal is something when you write a song about it and basically share it with everyone? Don't write the song then.

He has the right to not talk about a personal event if he doesn't want to. Learn some basic respect, asshole.

Bazza
01-22-2007, 01:26 PM

Yeah, but Dexter doesn't exactly go into detail, he's never done a live performance and said this song has a close meaning to me etc. We're just assuming Gone Away is personnal, he's never suggested either way. So we can't start making assumptions, just accept it as a song about loss which everyone can emphasise with.

Venom Symbiote
01-22-2007, 04:56 PM
Agreed, most of you people are fucking idiotic when it comes to the song meanings. Especially "Gone Away". It's a song about loss, that's it. Losing someone. Anyone. Family, friend, girlfriend, whatever-the-fuck. Might Dexter know something about that topic personally? Maybe, maybe not. It's none of our tittybangin' business. Even if he had, the song might not necessarily be about it.

It's retarded, speculating like that. It's like saying "Dexter wrote 'Come Out And Play' because he was in a gang in high-school, fighting on campus" or some shit. Or "'Want You Bad' is about Dexter being a kinky sex-fiend".

Again: retarded.

Ladnav
01-22-2007, 05:02 PM
To reiterate, I was just curious if this was mentioned in an interview or some such source.

Forza
01-23-2007, 03:30 AM
I don't know about you guys, but 1 + 1 is still 2 for me. And I rock.

But to get back on topic; would I Choose be about Dexter and the others lifestyle?

Little_Miss_1565
01-23-2007, 05:45 AM
But to get back on topic; would I Choose be about Dexter and the others lifestyle?

Read this post again:

Agreed, most of you people are fucking idiotic when it comes to the song meanings. Especially "Gone Away". It's a song about loss, that's it. Losing someone. Anyone. Family, friend, girlfriend, whatever-the-fuck. Might Dexter know something about that topic personally? Maybe, maybe not. It's none of our tittybangin' business. Even if he had, the song might not necessarily be about it.

You don't have to have lived something to write a song about it. At the same time, a song can totally be about someone's personal life. But if they're decline to talk about it, it's none of our business.

To reiterate, I was just curious if this was mentioned in an interview or some such source.

No.

Iamstupid
01-23-2007, 10:01 AM
I heard that Dexter wrote Hit That after he had a struggle to find his pet dog and get it castrated, at least that's what I heard....

It could explain Hit That's videoclip.

Bazza
01-23-2007, 10:03 AM
It could explain Hit That's videoclip.

Well yeah, that's the main inspiration for the video, expect that Dexter chose to represent himself as a strange blue headed person, to avoid people thinking that the song was actually about his dog! ie to de-personnalise the song! :rolleyes:

Iamstupid
01-23-2007, 10:09 AM
This "strange blue headed person" makes me always think about Frankestein's monster

Wolfbutter
01-23-2007, 04:26 PM
I doubt theres a big reason behind hese songs