PDA

View Full Version : Snow day in the desert

Thomas
01-22-2007, 10:07 AM
Yes. I live in Tucson, Arizona. Yes. We have snow. Yes. School is closed. This is the first time this has happened, like, ever. We haven't even seen snow in over 5 years. My mom doesn't even remember having to close anything down because of it. Needless to say, I am extremely excited. I just had to share this little bit of information with you.

Amiralanal
01-22-2007, 10:08 AM
Yes. I live in Tucson, Arizona. Yes. We have snow. Yes. School is closed. This is the first time this has happened, like, ever. We haven't even seen snow in over 5 years. My mom doesn't even remember having to close anything down because of it. Needless to say, I am extremely excited. I just had to share this little bit of information with you.

why dou you close the schools?

Grabbal
01-22-2007, 10:12 AM
why dou you close the schools?

Maybe cause its a special day for em and they they want to make the best out of it.. I think..

Thomas
01-22-2007, 10:15 AM
No, the roads are too dangerous for everyone to be driving on them and stuff like that.

bd007h
01-22-2007, 10:15 AM
They close school because snow can cause the roads to be slippery and somewhat dangerous, which makes for a rough drive to school. It's worse in places that don't get a lot of snow because the people don't really know how to handle it.

Zeall
01-22-2007, 10:16 AM
So, it snows, you're excited, and you're indoors posting here?!?!?!

Go outside and get throwing snowballs at cars and laughing at old people slide down the street, i demand it!

Thomas
01-22-2007, 10:16 AM
They close school because snow can cause the roads to be slippery and somewhat dangerous, which makes for a rough drive to school. It's worse in places that don't get a lot of snow because the people don't really know how to handle it.

Not to mention that Tucson drivers are all freaking insane, especially in bad weather.

fischer
01-22-2007, 11:05 AM
Have a nice time with the snow! ;)

mrconeman
01-22-2007, 11:11 AM
Snow in the desert?
Take that global warming!

0r4ng3
01-22-2007, 11:18 AM
Meanwhile, we're having a six month Autumn up here in New York.

SaiKYoU
01-22-2007, 11:54 AM
weather is crazy and we all are gonna die...

Nineteen Seventy Nine
01-22-2007, 12:05 PM
Snow in the desert?
Take that global warming!
Haha.

Meanwhile, we're having a six month Autumn up here in New York.

Yeah, the streets and grass are white here, but I don't think it's really been one whole inch yet.

I hope it's eighty degrees tomorrow, that way we can anticipate lots of snow a couple days later.

At my school, snow days don't exist anymore. Starting this year, we have "two hour delays". We still haven't had one of those yet.

the_GoDdEsS
01-22-2007, 12:23 PM
Snow also slows down the traffic immensely when you're not prepared for it. No point in going to school if the roads are too slow and dangerous.

It's quite strange though. Last year it was snowing almost every day and our snowy months are usually end of October till March. This year we've only had snow on one night. Like Jesse said, the autumn seems neverending.

HeadAroundU
01-22-2007, 01:18 PM
It's strange but it suits me perfect. I expect snowstorms in April or even May. We will see.

the_GoDdEsS
01-22-2007, 01:22 PM
To be honest I am quite disturbed by trees in bloom and insects flying around in January. So wrong.

HeadAroundU
01-22-2007, 01:27 PM
So wrong, so warm. :p

Whiplash
01-22-2007, 01:27 PM

Hurray for the greenhouse effect.

Bazza
01-22-2007, 02:21 PM
To be honest I am quite disturbed by trees in bloom and insects flying around in January. So wrong.

We're getting daffodills coming out 4months eary. The weather is totally screwed up this year. Leaves didn't fall off the true until November (normally it happens in September).

Grabbal
01-22-2007, 02:28 PM
Could it be that "An inconvinient truth" is wrong?!?!

Homer
01-22-2007, 04:26 PM
Weather around here has been very weird. Usually it's just really cold, but not enough to close down anything. But, about a couple of weeks ago, we had a "cold day", so there was no school, but then immediately after that, we've had extremely warm days... goddamn global warming, now I don't know how to think anymore.

Could it be that "An inconvinient truth" is wrong?!?!

*smacks head*

WebDudette
01-22-2007, 04:36 PM
You bastards! A friend of mine text messaged me this morning telling me about it. I wish it would happen down here in Phoenix.

JoY
01-22-2007, 04:48 PM
the key word once again is moderation.

Thomas
01-22-2007, 06:00 PM
Would you consider moderation once every five or six years?

Thomas
01-22-2007, 06:15 PM
Here's a picture of my car I took last night with my phone. All the snow melted by about 11:00 am, btw.

http://tinypic.com/2yobomo

Camel Filters
01-24-2007, 02:07 AM
wisconsin can get 6-10 inches of snow and everything will stay open. Arizona can get 1 drop of snow and they have to close everything. That's not fair.

the_GoDdEsS
01-24-2007, 02:11 AM
It's been snowing here on and off since yesterday. Finally! And the place where I used to live is gonna get -20 again. Muahaha!

Llamas
01-24-2007, 02:42 AM
I've never lived somewhere where there were snow days. We drive in 3 feet of snow... people go 70 mph in a foot of snow. Sure there are accidents, but we're used to it! :P Seriously, it's snowed several times every winter since I was born, and I've never had a snow day in my life. :( Always wanted to get out of school or work...

Bazza
01-24-2007, 04:43 AM
Thought I'd share a picture of last night, me throwing a snowball at all of you!
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o320/bazza1987/STA60007-1.jpg

We have one hell of a crazy weather system. It snows last night and now it's bright and sunny.

Wolfbutter
01-24-2007, 04:46 AM
I don't think it's global warming, I think it's el nino. It happened like 7 years ago too.

Also, I predict snow in Febuary, for the Northeast.

Zeall
01-24-2007, 04:49 AM
I've never lived somewhere where there were snow days. We drive in 3 feet of snow... people go 70 mph in a foot of snow. Sure there are accidents, but we're used to it! :P Seriously, it's snowed several times every winter since I was born, and I've never had a snow day in my life. :( Always wanted to get out of school or work...

Back when i was at shool, We had a rain-day once. It rained for 3 days non-stop and part of our school flooded.

Recently, the students a school nearby my work were let home early because the wind blew the roof of the sports hall and it all landed in the grounds, lucky they weren't on break.

Llamas
01-24-2007, 04:54 AM
I don't think it's global warming, I think it's el nino. It happened like 7 years ago too.

Also, I predict snow in Febuary, for the Northeast.

Erm, global warming causes the el nino stuff...

and is February snow unusual there? We usually get our final snowfall in march, sometimes april... one time it was in may, haha.

Wolfbutter
01-24-2007, 04:56 AM
Oh, really? I never knew that.

Usually it snows in December or January, but the snow pattern seems messed up, though. It did snow some, but not that much. I'm pretty sure I'll get at least one two hour delay, though.

Sinister
01-24-2007, 07:37 AM
The weather's been real shitty here - Quebec, where most sane people expect a lot of snow in the winter and everybody's got the winter tires installed on the cars before Halloween. However OUR HIGHWAY SYSTEM IS SHIT. Took me and my dad one hour to go 20 km = 12.5 miles.

"Snow days" don't happen often here because we're batshit insane and a foot of snow in a night is big but not exceptional.

Can't wait till I move down to SoCal or somewhere like that. [/rant]

JoY
01-24-2007, 08:23 AM
Would you consider moderation once every five or six years?

uh, say what?

Apathy
01-24-2007, 04:54 PM
I'm curious, how much snow was it exactly?

I also had a snow day this year, first one I've had since Fifth Grade. I live in Wisconsin, so it had to be around two and a half feet before they closed anything.