PDA

View Full Version : Minimum wage

endlesst0m
01-23-2007, 10:13 AM
What is your position on increasing the minimum wage from $5.15 an hour to $7.25 an hour? I'm undecided about this, but I'm interested to see how this will affect the economy and the unemployment rate. It seems that the opponents of the minimum wage hike think that raising the minimum wage will cause inflation and hurt small buisness. However, the supporters claim that that's a small price to pay and that the money most likely will be passed on to consumers one way or the other. Who do you side with on this one?

leo3375
01-23-2007, 10:59 AM
I'm all for it. I think the minimum wage should be increased to $10 per hour! In fact, there should be a law that says that every time Congress gives themselves a pay raise, they should increase the minimum wage proportionally to their own pay raise.

Bazza
01-23-2007, 11:08 AM
In the UK the minimum wage is 5.35 for over 22s, 4.85 for 18-21yo's, and 3.30 for under 18s. Personally I think that the rates are fairly reasonable, most companies pay more anyway. I'm 19 and get 5.50 an hour, more than what I'm entitled to.

Wolfbutter
01-23-2007, 03:35 PM
If they raise it, it will just help the economy grow. Several research has been done on this.

wheelchairman
01-23-2007, 04:37 PM
Oregon has a higher minimum wage and I mean you know...thank God.

Denmark has a significantly higher minimum wage, and I literally live a life of luxury as a student/ unskilled Warehouse employee.

Sexy Panda
02-10-2007, 12:14 AM
Either that's a very large pie or you are screwing somebody.

Living a life of luxury as a student isn't hard. Student hardship is a much exaggerated phenomena.

Sin Studly
02-10-2007, 02:02 AM
Minimum wage should be $500 an hour, then everyone will be happy and there won't be any poverty.

edit ; And if they run out of money to pay the workers, they can just print more.

The Talking Pie
02-10-2007, 02:27 AM
That should seriously be done. Of course then you need a totalitarian state where there is no private sector, but that can never be a bad thing.

Camel Filters
02-10-2007, 02:29 AM
I don't get the whole raising the minimum wage thing. I thought Wisconsin raised the minium wage last summer to $6.50 and now there talking about how this will be the first raise of the minimum wage in over a decade. To me it's just too confusing.

H1T_That
02-11-2007, 12:48 PM
In the UK the minimum wage is 5.35 for over 22s, 4.85 for 18-21yo's, and 3.30 for under 18s. Personally I think that the rates are fairly reasonable, most companies pay more anyway. I'm 19 and get 5.50 an hour, more than what I'm entitled to.

At 17 i was on 6-00 an hour. Now, coming up 19 im on just under 10-00 an hour.

Where do you work?

nieh
02-11-2007, 02:20 PM
I don't get the whole raising the minimum wage thing. I thought Wisconsin raised the minium wage last summer to $6.50 and now there talking about how this will be the first raise of the minimum wage in over a decade. To me it's just too confusing.

Federal minimum wage is currently something like $5.15/hr. Each individual state is allowed to set their own minimum wage but it must be at least 5.15/hr. By them saying this is the first minimum wage increase in a decade they mean the federal minimum wage.
After living on my own for 4 years I seriously have no idea how anyone can survive on 5.15 an hour. After taxes that would barely cover rent in most places in NJ. I'm definitely for the increase but I'm curious to see how it'll affect the rest of the economy and everyone else's pay. NJ's minimum wage has gone up significantly since I started working in high school. Then it was something like 5.50 whereas now it's 7.15 (which I had no idea about until just now, they apparently raised it from 6.15 back in October). This may or may not have something to do with every apartment complex EVER raising their prices substantially over the last few years but that's just random thoughts dancing in my head and I'm not informed enough to say for sure if there's actually some sort of cause and effect there or if they're completely unrelated.

Mota Boy
02-11-2007, 03:56 PM
At 17 i was on 6-00 an hour. Now, coming up 19 im on just under 10-00 an hour.Minimum wage, not maximum wage.

I kinda like the idea of an age-specific minimum wage, though if it led to older workers routinely getting replaced by teens, it might not be the best of ideas.

The fact is, msost states have already raised the minimum wage to at or near $7.15, so this isn't that big of a deal. Back during the American economy's roaring post-war growth, the minimum wage was about ten bucks in real dollars, and I think it wouldn't be half bad to bump it up to that amount again. People that live off the minimum wage spend the vast majority of what they make, often on businesses that employ minimum-wage workers, which would help to offset the cost to small businesses. A vast number of studies have been done on the effect of minimum wage hikes to the local economy, and the end result usually shows that net effect to the economy was neither positive nor negative. However, the effect on the lives of those living off minimum wage is significant, and if they can be boosted without harming the economy as a whole, why not do it? Granted, I'm assuming most of these studies deal with relatively small hikes, and practically doubling the minimum wage in a short amount of time would likely have far greater consequences, but it makes sense to me. Trickle-down theory seems only to breed more elites.

Bazza
02-11-2007, 05:29 PM
At 17 i was on 6-00 an hour. Now, coming up 19 im on just under 10-00 an hour.

Where do you work?

Where do you work!?!

I work in a supermarket (Morrisons) part-time, it's the best I can get in my local area and for being flexible around my studies.

The Talking Pie
02-11-2007, 05:56 PM
Indeed, where do you work? I was getting minimum wage at a law firm, for God's sake.