PDA

View Full Version : The Bears

XYlophonetreeZ
01-23-2007, 10:29 PM
I got interested in The Bears when last.fm played "117 Valley Drive" from their album Car Caught Fire on neighbor radio. I found out that they're one of Adrian Belew's projects who reunited after a 14-year hiatus in 2002 to record that album. I've never listened to a lot of Adrian Belew, but I've admired him as a great guitarist. The other 3 guys in the band (Bob Nyswonger, Rob Fetters, and Chris Arduser) have also all done some solo work and they each wrote their share of songs on the record.

Anyway, I got Car Caught Fire and the more I listen to it I really like it. It's mostly just an alternative record, but with some notable twists that really work well. Sometimes it really sounds exactly like the Beatles, but with beefier guitars and much better drums. Also Belew upholds his rep on guitar with solos in every song, yet somehow it always sounds exactly right in the song's context, never gratuitous. Their first two albums, sadly, are completely out of print. Shame, because I've read they were great. Amazingly though, from all the reviews I've read, no one was really disappointed with Car Caught Fire at all. That's pretty impressive after a 14-year hiatus.

Has anyone, by any chance, heard their older albums? I'm curious.

Grabbal
01-24-2007, 06:35 AM
Never ever..

XYlophonetreeZ
01-24-2007, 07:07 AM
Thanks for the valuable feedback, faggot.