PDA

View Full Version : what's up with the news?

calichix
01-25-2007, 11:50 PM
I live in this little beach town on a peninsula where absolutely everyone knows that someone took a shit in the post office one time because it's basically five houses, some vegan hippy restaurants, forty smoke/surf shops, and ocean. the other day this surfer who everyone knows was eaten by a shark right off of our most public beach. it didn't make ANY newspapers. instead there was an article about how it's so cool that a retard is playing on the high school football team. there wasn't a warning posted up, whereas if a cruise liner comes through there's WATER CONTAMINATED signs up for weeks. if someone gets cancer it's a big town extravaganza and if that person DIES, it's the worst tragedy since the last person who died died. death is all the rage except in the case of a young, attractive, well liked person or an accidental death. it never made news when anyone I knew in high school overdosed or died in drunk driving accidents, it BARELY made news when some kid drove of a cliff, or when a car full of teenagers was washed off the road by a wave.. only when total outcasts die or get hurt is it ever a big deal. is it like that everywhere?? tourism is a huge deal here, that could have something to do with it. I just don't know.

Sin Studly
01-26-2007, 12:25 AM
Tourism. The only time shark attacks make the Australian news is when we retaliate by launching a mission to kill the shark (like in Jaws) to attract faggot crying liberals who'll come to protest the hunting of endangered animals (and incidently, spend lots of money on tofu and boiled cabbage, boosting our economy).

wheelchairman
01-26-2007, 02:49 AM
Tourism. The only time shark attacks make the Australian news is when we retaliate by launching a mission to kill the shark (like in Jaws) to attract faggot crying liberals who'll come to protest the hunting of endangered animals (and incidently, spend lots of money on tofu and boiled cabbage, boosting our economy).

It was in one of our front pages yesterday, that Australian man who survived the shark attack.

Zeall
01-26-2007, 02:55 AM
We had a headline in our local newspaper the other month that read "Dog impaled on broken fence, survives" there were pics too, who the fuck considers this news?

JoY
01-26-2007, 07:48 AM
that's a rather frightning story...

Mota Boy
01-26-2007, 07:49 AM
In my hometown, stuff like that makes the newspaper, but that's because my hometown is so small that car crashes fairly routinely make the front page. That the sports section is largely dominated by high school and even middle and elementary school sports news. Also, whenever a young person dies tragically, it goes with the unsaid, morbid theme of our town rotting away into total obscurity.

The surfer death conspiracy reads like something straight outta Jaws. Is the town small enough that you can call up the paper to complain and manage to get ahold of someone in a decision-making position?

Sin Studly
01-26-2007, 07:56 AM
It was in one of our front pages yesterday, that Australian man who survived the shark attack.

That's because the shark actually swallowed most of him and he climbed back out. A regular shark attack wouldn't make the headlines.

Little_Miss_1565
01-26-2007, 08:23 AM
So it's not that no one cares, it's that the California case got seriously upstaged.