PDA

View Full Version : Mota Boy's Thought of the Night

Mota Boy
01-27-2007, 02:43 AM
So, since we have but one life to live (unless, of course, you're a Hindu), why shouldn't we glorify chasing after the most intense emotional experiences possible? I've heard that veterans proclaim they never felt more alive than on the battlefield, when the adrenaline was surging and life was on the line. Why aren't we emphasizing the need to experience the full spectrum of emotion? Or it's possible that I'm completely alone in even dreaming up this question.

Personally, I think there's a certain amount of valor in thrillseeking. To me, it's about pushing yourself to the limits of experience possible within a finite lifetime. We learn a great deal more about ourselves when we're either scared shitless or euphoric than when we're complacent or mired in routine. So why do we glorify the rule-breaker in film while punishing him or her in real life? Why are so many more people willing to watch someone else act out incredible adventures than actually experience them themselves?

Sin Studly
01-27-2007, 03:08 AM
Because when you're dead, you're dead for a fucking long time.

Paint_It_Black
01-27-2007, 04:38 AM
What Justin said, and because if everyone was a rule-breaker society couldn't function.

Paint_It_Black
01-27-2007, 06:23 AM
I do not think that society weighs much in the mind of the rule-breaker.

Maybe not, but they're the exception. We're all potential rule-breakers, but most of us instead conform to the societal norms. This is good for society, and safe for the individual. We can then live vicariously through our entertainment without needing to take risks ourselves. It's that simple.

Most of us grow out of rule-breaking and risk-taking once we learn that feeling secure is preferable over a temporary rush.

JoY
01-27-2007, 06:54 AM
I know it's stupid I should bring this example up, but when I became a member of my studentclub, well the first period of time is pretty rough. I wasn't planning on joining a fraternity/sorority, but I figured I'd learn a lot about myself, even if just in the period I would be becoming a member. if everything's under your own control, you can barely feel any strong emotion, because you know in the end it'll end up exactly like you wish to. the thrill comes with not knowing exactly what's going to happen, with being out of control. in that period of time you don't know when you'll be woken up, when you get to sleep, when you'll get food, when you'll get water, when you'll get to go to the toilet, what's going to happen next.. your life is pretty much lived for you for a couple of weeks. you start living in the present & pretty much acting on instinct & reflexes. you stop planning things for a while, stop clouding your mind with thoughts about what you're going to do/want to do & let things come over you instead. & your reaction at that time is purer than normally in every day life, when everything's carefully calculated.

it was pretty much about stepping out of my every day life & enjoy the ride of an experience I never thought I would choose to have. it's a completely ridiculous concept & I can't believe I ever participated in it, but somehow I'm glad I did. I kinda learned to stretch my limits & that I can do more than I thought I could.

of course there have been moments in my life, I thought it could all be over within a second. I've been hit by a car multiple times, two times almost by a bus, I've been stuck between two driving trams, stuck in a snowstorm on a deserted mountain.. that are all things you don't exactly see coming. it happens before you know it & it's over before you know it, too. it's out of your control. it gives a short adrenaline rush you can feel in your fingertips & that makes every muscle tensed, ready to act on instinct, till the point you're shaking. sure, I felt alive & lucky to be alive those moments, but only because there was a greater possibility than usual that I would've died.

adrenaline rushes don't do anything for me after they're over, which is pretty quickly, so I don't see the point in looking up situations that could give me an adrenaline rush. you only get them, normally, in instantly, directly dangerous, possibly life-threatening situations. it's shutting off reason & leaving instinct & reflexes to ensure survival. rationalizing such a rush makes it a lot less charming, than the myth would lead you to believe.

with a lot of twists & turns I'm saying the exact same as Richard.

Paint_It_Black
01-27-2007, 07:09 AM
the way you worded it, it seemed as though the rule-breaker was making this kind of reasoning, which surprised me.

Yeah, I noticed you took it that way. I actually meant the opposite, as you see now.

Sin Studly
01-27-2007, 08:21 AM
Most of us grow out of rule-breaking and risk-taking once we learn that feeling secure is preferable over a temporary rush.

Then again, some of us subdue shotgun-wielding bandits with our bare hands.

Betty
01-27-2007, 03:15 PM
I don't see why thrill seeking necessarily has to involve rule breaking, which seems to have become a major topic in this thread.

I'm pretty much in support of not doing things that can harm others. Things that can harm yourself that are against the "rules," sure, that's fine.

I seek thrills and new experiences within the realm of (a) hopefully not killing myself, like Justin mentionned and (b) not harming society to any great extent. Most of the stuff involving rule breaking is stupid shit anyway, I think, like vandalizing someone's car or robbing a store... sure there's an adrenaline rush or whatever... precisely because it IS against the rules. But the act itself really shouldn't be that inherently exciting... oooohhh... so you're spraying paint on a surface, big deal. I suppose killing someone could be a pretty intense emotion, but you just have to draw the line somewhere I guess.

Society obviously appreciates thrills, that's why the concept is so abundant in the media and pop culture. People live vicariously through it. Sometimes watching a good movie is a pretty intense emotional experience in itself. I don't think everybody seeks it out as much as you would because I don't think everyone has the same lust for life as you do. Seriously, a lot of people take life hugely for granted. And I don't think it's particularly glorified because a lot of thrills, if not harming society, are at least somewhat risky, and the people in charge don't want to promote that.

killer_queen
01-27-2007, 03:31 PM
Well, since we can't take a gun in ou hand and fight with the bad guys or mess with the ghosts the only exciting things to do are extreme sports, I think. Because I can't think of anything else which makes me scared or anything else.

I wish I had a life full with action. I wish I could feel such things but my life is too boring and I can't do anything about it. It's like, you have a that kind of life or you don't. You can't make it.

By the way, breaking the rules is fun if you are a teenager at highschool. It really is.

Sin Studly
01-28-2007, 05:14 AM
I think you missed the point of Crime and Punishment.