PDA

View Full Version : Can you Speak Another Language Besides English or Your mother tongue?

wheelchairman
01-28-2007, 06:32 PM
If of course, your mother tongue isn't English.

I think the previous question (do you speak any other languages, is kind of annoying. Because obviously anyone who isn't American/British/Australian/Canadian) can automatically say yes (hurray?).

This poll will thus make it more interesting. It's only yes or no. Can you speak another language that isn't English or your mother tongue?

wheelchairman
01-28-2007, 06:34 PM
Can a mod change the title from and your mother tongue, to OR your mother tongue. Thanks.

JoY
01-28-2007, 06:35 PM
well, even though I can chitchat with our Swiss neighbours just fine, I wouldn't say I speak German, so.. I guess, no.

Rag Doll
01-28-2007, 06:39 PM
changed...

i would love to speak another language...i just dont really have the patience.

Izie
01-28-2007, 06:41 PM
I voted yes, I definitely count Dutch as a language I speak without problems. My French is improving... slowly, but it is. The same with Russian.

(Mothertongue: Serbian, for anyone who doesn't already know and actually cares)

wheelchairman
01-28-2007, 06:46 PM
I can only say that Danish is the language I know. Even though I studied French for years, as of late I've spent most of my time trying to forget it. :(

Llamas
01-28-2007, 06:58 PM
can you say yes if you're not fluent.

wheelchairman
01-28-2007, 07:05 PM
While you are allowed to speak it with mistakes. You must of course be fluent....

Sin Studly
01-28-2007, 07:06 PM
My Slovak is decent, except for my horrible accent.

wheelchairman
01-28-2007, 07:07 PM
and yeah, both 0range and Adombomb22 are probably liars.

My Slovak is decent, except for my horrible accent.

I remember The Goddess saying it was very good.

0r4ng3
01-28-2007, 07:09 PM
I...the poll confused me.

Edit: Also-ay, I-ay ealized-ray at-thay ig-Pay atin-Lay oesn't-day ount-cay.

wheelchairman
01-28-2007, 07:09 PM
Don't worry about it, you're asian.

Lodat225
01-28-2007, 07:27 PM
Yes. Spanish. Very fluently, by the way.

wheelchairman
01-28-2007, 07:30 PM
Now Lodat, you know very well that no one here has anyone to believe a liar like you. :)

T-6005
01-28-2007, 07:37 PM
I was picking up Spanish quickly, but fluently? Absolutely not.

French and English are my only fluent languages.

opivy21
01-28-2007, 07:42 PM
I lived in France for a few years in elementary school, and I believe that I was pretty close to being fluent. Of course, I forgot almost all of it after I moved back. My previous experience definitely helps in the French that I take now.

Lodat225
01-28-2007, 07:46 PM
Now Lodat, you know very well that no one here has anyone to believe a liar like you. :)

Huh? No one here has anyone to believe a liar like you? What is that supposed to mean? And, oh well, it's true. 6 years of spanish, and spanish friends.

Sin Studly
01-28-2007, 07:48 PM
I remember The Goddess saying it was very good.

My accent is usually perfect (except for those horrible slavic R's), but drops into absolute shitfestness on some of the words. It's a trait common to us colonial scum. Just listen to a Kiwi, Rhodesian or South African speak English and you'll understand what I mean.

wheelchairman
01-28-2007, 07:49 PM
Huh? No one here has anyone to believe a liar like you? What is that supposed to mean? And, oh well, it's true. 6 years of spanish, and spanish friends.

DURRRRH
http://www.offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19571&highlight=LODAT

Lodat225
01-28-2007, 07:49 PM
Yeah, that doesn't answer my question. What did you mean?

Sin Studly
01-28-2007, 07:52 PM
It means your credibility = zero.

What's that in Spanish?

Lodat225
01-28-2007, 07:52 PM
Zero? The same. sero/zero.

Sin Studly
01-28-2007, 07:55 PM
Hola. Lodat is ze fastest liar in all of mehico! Arriba!

Lodat225
01-28-2007, 07:57 PM
Hola. Lodat is ze fastest liar in all of mehico! Arriba!

Fastest? Don't you mean biggest?

Go on. Make me translate something.

0r4ng3
01-28-2007, 07:59 PM
Um, no. It's "cero".

Lodat225
01-28-2007, 08:00 PM
Um, no. It's "cero".

Yeah, whatever. Somebody else pointed it out and deleted it. I'm fluent, doesn't mean i can't make spelling mistakes about 2 letters that sound exactly the same.

Edit: Yes, Sinister. You already said it.

Sinister
01-28-2007, 08:00 PM
Cero, actually. I pointed out, deleted because I wan't sure, and post it again now.

http://babelfish.altavista.com

wheelchairman
01-28-2007, 08:04 PM
That thread is why you are a liar lodat. Cause you lie all the time. We have no reason to believe you.

And you even misspelled cero. Wow. Even less credibility? I think so.

Lodat225
01-28-2007, 08:08 PM
That thread is why you are a liar lodat. Cause you lie all the time. We have no reason to believe you.

And you even misspelled cero. Wow. Even less credibility? I think so.

Huh, why do you post this here? Anyway, i have yet to LIE about anything since i got here from my shameful disappearance. Don't believe me. Am i saying "HEY GUYS, IM FLUENT. BELIEVE ME!"

Also, yeah. I explained myself in the other thread. You're a little late, love.

T-6005
01-28-2007, 08:11 PM
Am i saying "HEY GUYS, IM FLUENT. BELIEVE ME!"

Yes.

Also, yeah. I explained myself in the other thread.
Your warped little mind might believe that, but there's a reason we still treat you like a dickless ninny without the guts to have his own personality.

Lizardus
01-28-2007, 11:16 PM
I'm taking japanese classes and i speak little bits of italian.

O'RLY?

Let's see if you can read this:
Lodat, hablas mas mierda de la que sale de tu trasero, deberias morir y pudrirte en el infierno.
PD: Tu madre cobra por sexo en la esquina.

Jebus
01-28-2007, 11:29 PM
Anyway, i have yet to LIE about anything since i got here from my shameful disappearance. .
http://offspring.com/forums/showpost.php?p=954643&postcount=32

Paint_It_Black
01-28-2007, 11:33 PM
Holy crap. He not only stole it, he went to the effort of correcting it before using it. Wow. I am actually still capable of being surprised at how pathetic Lodat is.

HornyPope
01-29-2007, 12:07 AM
(to answer thread) Yeah, but I was fortunate to pick the languages while I lived in that country.

Llamas
01-29-2007, 01:07 AM
6 years of highschool/middle school spanish and spanish friends... you're not fluent. Most people have to study or live abroad for some time to become fluent. I've studied German for a grand total of: 5 years prior to college, and 1 1/2 years in college (and college language courses are MUCH more intensive than high school). Plus I have German family and friends. I'm not fluent, and I don't pretend I am. Fluency means that you don't have to think in your native language at all and you naturally can just start speaking in the target language. 6 years of studying a language does not make a person fluent.

the_GoDdEsS
01-29-2007, 01:12 AM
6 years of studying a language does not make a person fluent.

It depends on the amount of exposure and many, many other factors. I was fluent in English after three years of studying it at high school and additionally by myself only.

the_GoDdEsS
01-29-2007, 01:16 AM
(except for those horrible slavic R's)

That's cute and torture-worthy. Probably like my "th".

And to answer the thread question, yes I can. Two more fluent on top of Slovak and English.

All About Eve
01-29-2007, 01:19 AM
Hmm, I'll say no, since you don't actually "speak" Latin. I can translate it fairly well though.

Edit: I don't know enough of Spanish to count either.

Sin Studly
01-29-2007, 01:22 AM
Two more fluent on top of Slovak and English.

Czech doesn't count. If Czech counts I can claim things like "American English" and "British English".

Llamas
01-29-2007, 01:35 AM
It depends on the amount of exposure and many, many other factors. I was fluent in English after three years of studying it at high school and additionally by myself only.

Oh, I know that one can be fluent without going abroad, of course. My point was saying, "Duh, I'm fluent! I've studied for 6 years!" means jack shit. Not only that, but it's very infrequent that a person becomes fluent in a language from studying it in high school (ESPECIALLY in the US... our language programs suck). I just called his bluff... certainly not claiming it impossible.

Tizzalicious
01-29-2007, 01:36 AM
6 years of highschool/middle school spanish and spanish friends... you're not fluent. Most people have to study or live abroad for some time to become fluent.

Like Sim pointed out, that definitely isn't true for everyone. I was fluent in English after a few years aswell.

And to answer the poll, I speak German aswell.

(Edit: Sorry Bri, you alerady explained, it seems like we replied at the same time)

Nina
01-29-2007, 02:35 AM
Yeah, but I was fortunate to pick the languages while I lived in that country.

Same here.

Bazza
01-29-2007, 02:51 AM
As said in the other thread, I speak French and Russian, although I'm a bit rusty since I stopped lessons a year and a half ago.

wheelchairman
01-29-2007, 03:55 AM
Huh, why do you post this here? Anyway, i have yet to LIE about anything since i got here from my shameful disappearance. Don't believe me. Am i saying "HEY GUYS, IM FLUENT. BELIEVE ME!"

Also, yeah. I explained myself in the other thread. You're a little late, love.

Ah but hey remember when you stole other people's personalities to try and make yourself look cool? We do. :)

Sin Studly
01-29-2007, 04:03 AM
Stealing somebody else's opinion on a fucking VIDEO GAME is so fucking beyond pathetic it's scary. Jesus Christ. How much of a mongaloid do you have to be to need help getting opinions on a fucking video game. It's pathetic enough when people hear something about literature, opera, classical music or whatever other form of high culture they've never actually experienced, but want people to think they have, and therefore mindlessly parrot the reviews of others, but it's a fucking VIDEO GAME!!!! It's not like you're ever gonna impress some Jew banker while taking brandy in his parlour by mentioning that rather uninspiring game of Zelda you played on the weekend.

wheelchairman
01-29-2007, 04:09 AM
Not to mention, apparently Lodat had to correct the spelling and grammar of the original opinion maker. Quality stuff there.

JoY
01-29-2007, 04:10 AM
Yeah, whatever. Somebody else pointed it out and deleted it. I'm fluent, doesn't mean i can't make spelling mistakes about 2 letters that sound exactly the same.

but undoubtly with your massive knowledge of the Spanish language, you'll notice that in Spanish those letters sound very differently. in South America c before an e, as in "cero", is pronounced as "s". so yes, that indeed would make "sero" phonetically correct. in Spain however, where Spanish basically comes from, c before e is pronounced as "th". which makes "thero", making "sero" phonetically & spelling-wise incorrect.

I make a loooot of grammatical mistakes in German; Nominativ, Genitiv, Dativ, Akkusativ.. I don't make a whole lot of spelling mistakes, though. only if the word is complicated, or difficult for me to remember correctly. I mean, if I'd misspell "null", I would be the last one to say I speak German fluently.

ooo, by the way, I just noticed; if I read a text in German, I kinda read/say it with a Swiss accent. hahahaha! I have to consciously ban it out, to read/say it remotely normally. Schweizerdütsch/Swiss accent sounds so ridiculously Norwegian/Swedisch, when spoken fast. it's terribly ugly, yet I love it so much, because it just swings me back straight into Switzerland. the news there is always in proper German, which makes it very understandable, also for us Dutchies. the weatherman, however.. oh, he has the worst Swiss accent & though I've known it all my life, I still can't make freakin' shit out of it. I appreciate it so much that most Swiss I know can also speak old fashioned normal German.

PsychoticAndInsomniac
01-29-2007, 05:02 AM
but undoubtly with your massive knowledge of the Spanish language, you'll notice that in Spanish those letters sound very differently. in South America c before an e, as in "cero", is pronounced as "s". so yes, that indeed would make "sero" phonetically correct. in Spain however, where Spanish basically comes from, c before e is pronounced as "th". which makes "thero", making "sero" phonetically & spelling-wise incorrect.

Exactly. Man, if he really could speak Spanish fluently, he would definitely know. "Cero" is quite a basic word.

As for me, my answer to the original question is yes. My mothertongue is Spanish, but I've also learnt English, German, French and well, Catalan, which is a coofficial language here in Spain. Fluently? Mmm, it's a bit difficult to say. Nonetheless, I guess it would be German > English > French. I attended a German School/Highschool (bilingual education) for 9 years, I can understand written and spoken German without major problems and I speak it rather well, but it's a fact that it's been 3 years since I lost daily contact with the language. With regards to English, I've been learning it for years, too, and I think I can generally get myself undestood, but I still have to improve it a lot. And French...I'm currently taking classes to further my knowledge of the language.

Vera
01-29-2007, 06:06 AM
I voted no. Some people would say "yes" but I personally don't consider myself talented enough in any languages but Finnish and English to hold a conversation that lasts more than 10 minutes in any other languages so I said no.

German's a tough nut to crack even though I studied it for 9 years.

Swedish is okay but I'm only good at it at a rather basic level. Hejsan, hur mår du och så vidare.

I can grasp some Hindi conversations (basic phrases, question words, some verb conjugation and most of the basic verbs; sit eat be sleep love hate remember go come want ask) but I wouldn't call that knowing the language or speaking it. I can't order a train ticket but I can confess my love to somebody in a cheesy manner. Rock on!

I want to learn Tamil but that's way way tough so I'm considering buying a Korean study book at first. Annyong haseyo!

Sinister
01-29-2007, 06:19 AM
I'm (actually, unlike lodat) good enough at Spanish for basic conversation; my English is almost perfect, a bit less so when I speak (accent alert!); and my mother tongue is French.

Whiplash
01-29-2007, 06:21 AM
I speak proper german i can understand it very well to i just suck at writing it.

Grabbal
01-29-2007, 08:35 AM
A little bit German is all i know..

darea
01-29-2007, 08:39 AM
As I said in the other thread french (which is the country in which I was born but ENGLISH is my mother tongue) and a bit of spanish and roumanian, I can say hi in chinese but that's really nothing

F@ BANKZ
01-29-2007, 09:32 AM
Just french, to a very basic level

Derek
01-29-2007, 10:57 AM
Besides german I speak english, and french (well not I'm not perfect, but it works quite well) and I also know some basics in spanish.

Derek

SkunkIt
01-29-2007, 06:40 PM
I can't speak any other languages, besides English and Aramiac. I do want to learn Japanese, but I haven't been able to find anyone or anywhere teaching it and I don't really have time to learn it right now.

Sin Studly
01-29-2007, 06:51 PM
You're Assyrian?

SkunkIt
01-29-2007, 06:55 PM
Yeah. I can speak the language, but i'm illiterate in it. I plan on learning how to read Aramiac, too. Ten characters.

Sin Studly
01-29-2007, 06:56 PM
:mad: :mad: :mad: camel nigger!!!!!!!!!!!

SkunkIt
01-29-2007, 07:00 PM
Some of my relatives live in Australia, more camel nigger for you!

Betty
01-29-2007, 09:01 PM
French, because I went to French school (100%, not immersion) for 15 years. Haven't spoken it since so am a little rusty.

Still that's pretty cheap because English is my mother tongue.

calichix
01-29-2007, 11:24 PM
I can speak conversational spanish well enough to get around easily in spanish-speaking countries but READING it is sooooooo hard. I have to read it pronouncing everything correctly, then go back and read it again trying to switch everything to english. I grew up in the barrio but it's still never become automatic except in the case of swear words.. and I know american sign language. I learned it in high school but I still practice it all the time cause I look so cool and worldly when I bust out the sign language skills. except it's embarrassing talking to deaf people because I always flaunt my vast knowledge of BAD signs like "anal sex", "constipation", and "heroin" and deaf people get offended at the frickin tip of a hat. they call us "hearies". ahahahahah.

XYlophonetreeZ
01-29-2007, 11:35 PM
calichix, once you know the rules of Spanish pronunciation (you can learn it in the space of a couple days with the right instruction), it's a helluvalot easier and more straightforward than English pronunciation. Seriously, I learned that in my FIFTH year of Spanish class and it's the easiest thing ever. It should be one of the first things one is ever taught in Spanish.

calichix
01-29-2007, 11:53 PM
well, teach me right now!

I know how to pronounce everything and I can read it quickly, but I just can't understand what I'm reading until I slow it down to retard speed.

XYlophonetreeZ
01-30-2007, 12:15 AM
Ha. Don't know how well I can do it on here. But basically the emphasis always goes on the last syllable unless (a) there's an accent mark elsewhere or (b) the word ends with either "s" or "n," in which case the emphasis goes on the second to last syllable. There is no exception whatsoever to this rule (except maybe a few loan words), so that's all good.

And g is hard if followed by an a, o, or u, but if it's followed by an e or an i then it's pronounced like an English h. If there's a need to follow a hard g sound with an e or i sound, "gue" or "gui" is substituted. The u is silent, and is just used to mark the fact that the g is hard UNLESS there's an "ü," which is pretty rare. It's generally placed between a g and an e or i to signify that the u is pronounced (like a w). If there's a "gua" or "guo," then the u is always pronounced like a w. If there's a need for a soft g (English h) sound in front of an a, o, or u, then they'll generally just use "j."

That's the down n' heezy of what I remember. If other stuff is confusing, feel free to ask :) .

calichix
01-31-2007, 12:02 AM
it's so much easier learning things when they're put into white terms. thanks, champ.

el_monkey
01-31-2007, 12:14 AM
me talks french (besides german and english)

the_GoDdEsS
01-31-2007, 01:49 PM
me talks french (besides german and english)

Ze Germans speaking English is one nightmare.

Vera
01-31-2007, 03:52 PM
me talks french (besides german)

Correct version.