Davo
01-29-2007, 05:36 AM
Is Dexter PhDr. or PhD.?

Keith
01-29-2007, 07:50 AM
PHD ...I think.

Gayman
01-29-2007, 10:06 AM
He has got a master in microbiology....don't know what that makes him.

Sinister
01-29-2007, 10:08 AM
I've read somewhere that he only has to do a thesis and then he'll be Ph.D.

Marco
01-29-2007, 10:28 AM
Not supposed to talk about their personal lives methinks....

the_GoDdEsS
01-29-2007, 11:22 AM
Is Dexter PHDr. or PHD.?

PhDr. is Slovak, I think. The degrees probably don't have the same meaning. PhDr. here stands for a secondary degree in human and social sciences on top of Mgr. (MA. internationally) and is placed in front of the name. PhD is an international title, in Slovakia it is a tertiary degree (doctorate) placed behind the name.

Fat Boy Samsam
01-29-2007, 02:04 PM
PhDr. is Slovak, I think. The degrees probably don't have the same meaning. PhDr. here stands for a secondary degree in human and social sciences on top of Mgr. (MA. internationally) and is placed in front of the name. PhD is an international title, in Slovakia it is a tertiary degree (doctorate) placed behind the name.

Yes - there is no such degree as a PhDr here in the US.

Fat Boy Samsam
01-29-2007, 02:08 PM
I've read somewhere that he only has to do a thesis and then he'll be Ph.D.

ONLY!!!!!! The Ph.D is only awarded based upon the completion of a thesis and then, an oral examination discussing your thesis. That is it! No coursework or exams etc.

Most students spend 2+ years preparing the data for their thesis. I have heard of some students spending a whole year writing their thesis!

Little_Miss_1565
01-30-2007, 05:49 AM
Not supposed to talk about their personal lives methinks....

This is something they've talked about in interviews, so it's okay.

As it's been said already in this thread, Dexter never got the PhD degree because he hasn't yet finished the work.

Jojan
01-30-2007, 05:50 AM
Is Greg a bad ass mother fucker or a badass motherfucker?

Marco
01-30-2007, 09:35 AM
Is Greg a bad ass mother fucker or a badass motherfucker?
He's a bad ass motherfucker...

ZagmenO
01-30-2007, 01:00 PM
He's a badass mother fuckin' motherfucker!

Fat Boy Samsam
01-31-2007, 03:22 AM
He's a badass mother fuckin' motherfucker!

Too true... but he aint no PhD badass mother ;)

el_monkey
01-31-2007, 03:37 AM
He has got a master in microbiology....don't know what that makes him.

" M.S. " --> master of science

Italia311
02-02-2007, 08:35 PM
Wouldnt he be BSc MA? i dunno

halfro
02-14-2007, 04:36 PM
A Ph.D. (Doctor of Philosophy) is the highest degree one can obtain in a field. It demonstrates mastery and proficient within a field. A Ph.D. program usually takes 4 years to complete. The first two years primarily involve coursework and basic prerequisite classes defined by the university. Some Ph.D. prorgams offer a Master's degree along the way towards the Ph.D. after two years have been completed and students have successfully written and defended a Master's thesis (not to be confused with a dissertation). After two years students generally take a comprehensive exam or preliminary exams which show competancy of the material learned over the past two years. Once completed the student then becomes a doctoral candidate. The final two (or sometimes three, four, or even up to five years) of grad school involve the student researching an original idea. This is the students dissertation which can be anywhere from 250-450 pages long. After completion of the dissertation the student has to orally defend the dissertation in front of a faculty committee. Only once defended can the student earn the title Ph.D. Some students who have completed all requirements of the Ph.D. except for the disseration put the letters ABD (all but dissertation) after their name. This is highly taboo and rarely done. Only people with Ph.D. (or specialized doctorate degrees such as the MD or PsyD) can call themselves "Doctor".

Little_Miss_1565
02-14-2007, 08:28 PM
Wouldnt he be BSc MA? i dunno

That's only if his undergraduate degree was in the sciences. I don't remember--or know if I knew in the first place--what his major was undergraduate. BSc stands for Bachelor of Science. My undergraduate degree is a BA--Bachelor of arts, because my major was English literature. Dig?