PDA

View Full Version : Walla Walla/End of the line (Word Meanings)

Camilamazed
01-30-2007, 09:29 PM
Walla walla

1) What does "You got three to five and a kick out the door" mean?

2) Slap on the wrist = just a lecture, nothing that serious?

The end of the line

3) Siren's flash = ???? (life??)

4) "All the memories are too few"

a) There aren't many memories or
b) The memories are irrelevant

5) You can't take back = You can't regret?

6) "That still lives on after life it takes"
Does it mean that the one mistake took the person's life away?

7) "And bitter memories are left behind"

bitter memories = regretful feelings?

Does the sentence mean that regret is useless because it's too late or that the memories are now past?

JohnnyNemesis
01-30-2007, 09:46 PM

Yeah, that's what that means for the most part. A "slap on the wrist" means a very weak and not serious punishment.

I believe he's referring to the sirens on the ambulence that might take a dead body away.

There are never enough memories when you miss someone so much after they die. That's what he is saying, pretty much.

I'll let other people cover the rest.

Little_Miss_1565
01-30-2007, 09:50 PM
. Three to five is a fairly light prison sentence (three to five years; probably eligible for parole after a year). A kick out the door I take to mean that the judge gives someone a standard sentence and sends them to jail, unceremoniously.

2. Yes. Nuns in Catholic schools used to commonly slap someone on the wrist with a ruler if they were misbehaving.

3) Siren's flash = Police and/or ambulance sirens following an accident.

4) It expresses how after losing a loved one, no matter how much time you spent with that person, it feels like you didn't have enough memories for them to live on.

5) More like 'take it back' in the sense of making a mistake and trying to make it right by taking it back (like "you're a whore. no, sorry, i take it back"). But when mistakes are really big, you can't just take it back.

6) Yes.

7) Yes. But the sentence means regret in that it is something that will stay with someone for their whole life--it won't just pass.

Camilamazed
01-30-2007, 09:54 PM
Thank you very much.

:)

Fat Boy Samsam
01-31-2007, 04:21 AM
Camilamazed - who are you doing this translation project for???

Is it just a bit of fun or does it serve some bigger purpose? :confused:

I'm just interested in why you are bothered...

HeadAroundU
01-31-2007, 08:53 AM
"The end of the line" is so obvious that you don't need to ask.
Siren's flash is gone...how's that hard to translate?

lolz, I'm bashing Camila. Kick me back! :)

Grabbal
01-31-2007, 08:55 AM
Fat boy

I don't know about you, but I certainly think songs I'm tired of become new and refreshing once I know what all the lyrics are truly about..

But thats just my opinion..

Camilamazed
01-31-2007, 12:08 PM
Fat boy, If I were such a jerk like you I'd say fuck you.

It's something important to me, you know. There's a lot of huge mistakes and nonsense Portuguese translations all over the internet. I don't like them and I've been working on accurate ones with reasearch and help from the BBSers.

An example is people arguing with me telling that I'm wrong when I say that *Mota* is weed. They say that Mota is a Japanese word for idiot (They found that in a Brazilian fan site). Even when the video clearly says the song is about weed. They don't believe that *Mota boy* is a boy that does weed. I'm so sick of that. My friend is working on a serious Portuguese Offspring fan site and he counts on my translations so that people can find good translations.

People do not translate the songs paying attention on expressions that don't exist in Portuguese nor in Phrasal verbs. Take back for example. They put the words apart, therefore getting different translations. They don't analyze if a word is a noun or a verb. They don't understand that some expressions in English make sense only in the present whereas the same expression in Portuguese we use in the past.. Things like that.

That's why I come here to get some help. Some sentences, yeah, I don't get THAT well. I know End of the line is quite obvious (HAU) but either way the sentences I asked don't make sense If I don't try to put them into different words. That's all.

I'm just interested in why you are bothered...

The same goes to you...

Zeall
02-01-2007, 04:06 AM
The Japanese word for idiot is baka :)

NMHFBD
08-25-2007, 03:09 PM
does anyone know what "casket"means? a coffin? or something different?

BuckyO'Hare
08-25-2007, 03:54 PM
Not sure about the casket but a coffin is a "box" where you put a corpse and bury it.

Hypodermic_89
08-25-2007, 04:13 PM
Casket means the same.

leo3375
08-25-2007, 07:32 PM
A casket and a coffin serve the same function. Traditinally, a coffin is shaped to snugly hold the body. Usually it's an "oblong box," wider where the arms would be folded and tapereing toward the feet. A casket is more commonly used in the States. It's rectangular in shape and often had a two-sided lid, where one part is opened for viewing at the funeral. After the service, this portion of the casket is shut and sealed, preparing it for burial.

NMHFBD
08-27-2007, 12:19 PM
A casket and a coffin serve the same function. Traditinally, a coffin is shaped to snugly hold the body. Usually it's an "oblong box," wider where the arms would be folded and tapereing toward the feet. A casket is more commonly used in the States. It's rectangular in shape and often had a two-sided lid, where one part is opened for viewing at the funeral. After the service, this portion of the casket is shut and sealed, preparing it for burial.
thank you for good explanation.that's what i needed.

smash & burn
08-29-2007, 07:31 PM
Walla walla

1) What does "You got three to five and a kick out the door" mean?

The end of the line

a) There aren't many memories or
b) The memories are irrelevant

5) You can't take back = You can't regret?

6) "That still lives on after life it takes"
Does it mean that the one mistake took the person's life away?

7) "And bitter memories are left behind"

bitter memories = regretful feelings?

Does the sentence mean that regret is useless because it's too late or that the memories are now past?
1.3-5 is the sentence you got
a kick out the door means eitherA: the person you lived w/ kicked you out
or
B:the cops evicted u
2.slap on the wrist means a not so serious punishment
3.not so sure
4.a
5. no not really
6.ya prretty much
7. no, more like damn bitch took my shirt w.out asking then wrecked it

Jack-UK
08-30-2007, 10:28 AM
1.3-5 is the sentence you got
a kick out the door means eitherA: the person you lived w/ kicked you out
or
B:the cops evicted u

Actually i dont think its that abstract... its just saying they gave him a kick out the door of prison i believe.. kinda "Dont come back".

End of the line is pretty literal i think, best to just take it all at face level and not look too deep into it.

sebastienfan
08-31-2007, 07:35 AM
The hardest song for me to understand is The Noose, I understand the words but not their meaning.

stockholm
09-07-2007, 06:31 AM
"Siren's flash"
The siren's flash is the lights and noise ontop of an emergency vehicle such as a police car or an ambulance (most likely the latter in this case).

"All the memories are too few"
This doesn't mean there aren't any memories. There could be loads of memories of this person. But memories are nothing compared to still have the living person there. So basicly it's saying having just the memories isn't a good enough substitute for not having you anymore.

"You can't take back the one mistake that still lives on after life it takes"
As someone already mentioned, when someone makes a mistake they try to take it back and correct it. This is basicly saying your mistake took your life. You can't take back this mistake because the only way of taking it back is to bring yourself back to life.

"And bitter memories are left behind"
The bitter memories are the memories of the suicide. Basicly, this guy has committed suicide and gone away and the only thing he's left behind to his friends and family is bitter memories of his suicide.