PDA

View Full Version : A NES bargain??

Grabbal
01-31-2007, 12:52 PM
101010|1010

randman21
01-31-2007, 01:07 PM
Nope, not a good bargain. It costs 20,800 bucks. I figure the NES itself is worth $80, which leaves $20,720. Divide that by 670, and you get $30.93. I wouldn't pay that much for many NES games.

Grabbal
01-31-2007, 01:08 PM

JohnnyNemesis
01-31-2007, 01:10 PM
I was just about to post this! Yeah, crazy shit, but I'd be tempted to buy it if I could. I used to collect NES games.

darea
01-31-2007, 01:14 PM
I sold a few of my nes games on ebay, the first two zelda ones

Original prankstA
01-31-2007, 01:49 PM
woah, honestley I probably would buy it if i could, but they have places (around here) where they sell a lot of nes games for like 50 cents to a dollar

Grabbal
01-31-2007, 02:01 PM

darea
01-31-2007, 02:24 PM
nintendo games are quite cheap in france too, in special stores....

F@ BANKZ
01-31-2007, 02:28 PM
G.O.D my life would be sorted if i had that, i could play games in the morning, write a diary on it sleep for afew hours then play games in the morning *daydreams*

nameless
01-31-2007, 06:11 PM
im not a huge fan of video games but that seems ridiculous, is anyone really gonna get round to playing 670 games?! some of you may consider them classics and collectables but surely it would be better to by the latest console if your paying that sort of money!

Lodat225
01-31-2007, 06:13 PM
Yeah, but remember: the NES games weren't that long/hard.

Linda
01-31-2007, 06:28 PM
Whoever would pay that much is crazy.
I have 322 games and have only put $2,185.79
into them, and that's including shipping and tax.
Those games on that ebay listing are totally not
worth as much as they're bidding on them.

Original prankstA
01-31-2007, 06:45 PM
does anybody remember the game where you and a friend were like these baby ninjas? I don't remember much except it was sweet. I think it's "Little Ninja Bros."

JohnnyNemesis
01-31-2007, 07:09 PM
Yeah, but remember: the NES games weren't that long/hard.

Pfft, bullshit. Sure, some weren't long, but on the whole, NES games are waaaaaaay more difficult (for a number of reasons). In fact, one of the reasons I'm no longer as into video games as I used to be is because games these days are WAY TOO FUCKING EASY (And yes, I'm sure that has a lot to do with developers and distributors being more well-known now, so there's more incentive to create more superficial gaming experiences to keep people buying newer and newer games. Either way, it's total fuckin' bullshit).

Lodat225
01-31-2007, 07:13 PM
What? How are games now too easy? I start all my games on the highest hard difficulty, maybe that's why i believe that.

Go play Halo 1/2 and Gears of War on the highest difficulty and come back and say that games now are too easy.

JohnnyNemesis
01-31-2007, 07:15 PM
Go play Halo 1/2 and Gears of War on the highest difficulty and come back and say that games now are too easy.

I've already done that and I stand by my statement.

nieh
01-31-2007, 07:18 PM
What? How are games now too easy? I start all my games on the highest hard difficulty, maybe that's why i believe that.

Go play Battletoads and the original Prince of Persia and tell me games are harder now.

I for some reason always thought there were more than 1000 NES games, did I have it mistaken with SNES? Or did I just make that number up at random?

All About Eve
01-31-2007, 07:18 PM
Srsly. FFIV and FFVI are MUCH MUCH MUCH harder than FFVII and on.

Ryder1234
01-31-2007, 07:23 PM
k,
#1 - omfg 670 games
#2 - there was barbie back then?
#3 - ya go exictbike
#4 - iv got a friend named felix (the game im refering to is felix the cat)
#5 - 666 is Zanac
#6 - i didnt think simpsons were made back then
#7 - did i say omfg?

ya well at least ive GOT a nes, with like, wat, 3?, 4? games (yay mario)

JohnnyNemesis
01-31-2007, 07:27 PM
Yeah, not only were the games themselves harder, but the way all games are "saved" and how that's incorporated into contemporary gaming plays a bit of a role in the convenience factor of how much easier games are. That's just one small part though, naturally.

Mota Boy
01-31-2007, 08:11 PM
Oh man, for me the WORST one was that X-Men game for Sega Genesis. I played that so many times and would always die on the final level. The Lion King game was also tough as hell, though a ton of fun.

I didn't beat a video game until the N64 came along.

JohnnyNemesis
01-31-2007, 08:13 PM
Oh man, for me the WORST one was that X-Men game for Sega Genesis.

That shit was fucking ROUGH!

Mota Boy
01-31-2007, 08:15 PM

Go play Halo 1/2 and Gears of War on the highest difficulty and come back and say that games now are too easy.I highlighted the key words there. Back in the day, there WAS no difficulty setting. So sure, some games may be really difficult, but the difficulty is only an option. Imagine that there was no "easy" or "medium" setting.

The TMNT game for the NES drove me crazy. I never even made it past that fucking seaweed.

All About Eve
01-31-2007, 08:17 PM
Yeah, TMNT highlighted my limited NES experiences.

And about game difficulty... Contra III. Game, set, match.

JohnnyNemesis
01-31-2007, 08:47 PM
Game difficulty on the NES? Everyone always brings up Battletoads, but to that I saw PSHAW and offer the most unbelievably mind-bogglingly difficult game to EVER hit that system:

fucking GHOSTS N' GOBLINS!!! i;hbdfdjfbg FUCVK

(the original Metal Gear wasn't a particularly difficult game, but it also drove me insane while playing it)

WebDudette
01-31-2007, 08:50 PM
I was young and hardly remember my NES, but I do remeber a few of my games being nearly impossible to get to the second level. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles being one of them.

JohnnyNemesis
01-31-2007, 08:51 PM
I got as far as the fourth or fifth level of TMNT, but it was notoriously difficult and took me months of playing on and off.

WebDudette
01-31-2007, 08:54 PM
By the time I really started honing my mad gamer skillz I had an SNES. Although, I did get pretty damn far on the 1st and 3rd Mario, and got pretty far in Zelda.

I had a game that was fucking impossible, at the very beginning I ran into a dead end and never found out how to continue.

0r4ng3
01-31-2007, 08:54 PM
I'm only old enough to remember SNES. I'm assuming that those games are easier than NES games, because I don't remember them being as impossible as you're all saying that they are.

Tizzalicious
01-31-2007, 09:07 PM
They aren't easy at all...those damn Goomba's :(

T-6005
01-31-2007, 09:09 PM
I never did manage to beat World 8 of Super Mario World 3.

nieh
01-31-2007, 09:13 PM
I got as far as the fourth or fifth level of TMNT, but it was notoriously difficult and took me months of playing on and off.

My brother and I were able to beat it a few times. The cheesey way to win is when you're fighting Shredder, use Donatello. If you get in just the right spot, your staff is long enough to hit him but it's almost impossible for him to hit you.

bd007h
01-31-2007, 09:25 PM
Go play Battletoads and the original Prince of Persia and tell me games are harder now.

The third level of Battletoads with the speed cars is flat out impossible.

Lodat225
01-31-2007, 09:26 PM

I for some reason always thought there were more than 1000 NES games, did I have it mistaken with SNES? Or did I just make that number up at random?

I did, it was hard, but not other-world hard.

Uh, havent played battletoads.

Lodat225
01-31-2007, 09:30 PM
I highlighted the key words there. Back in the day, there WAS no difficulty setting. So sure, some games may be really difficult, but the difficulty is only an option. Imagine that there was no "easy" or "medium" setting.

The TMNT game for the NES drove me crazy. I never even made it past that fucking seaweed.

Well, "gamers" now a day are pussies and play on "normal" or "Easy".

Mota Boy
01-31-2007, 09:35 PM

Were you saying that to try an help your case?

DeAtHsTaR
01-31-2007, 09:45 PM
Nope, not a good bargain. It costs 20,800 bucks. I figure the NES itself is worth $80, which leaves $20,720. Divide that by 670, and you get $30.93. I wouldn't pay that much for many NES games.

an NES goes for more like $15. And a lot of those games ARE rare as hell. I would never pay that much though.

DeAtHsTaR
01-31-2007, 09:48 PM

I beat Battletoads at the age of 7 or 8. Of course, I probably couldn't now.

I never did manage to beat World 8 of Super Mario World 3.
lolololol n00b. I did it at 7 years old! A few weeks ago I played it and I couldn't beat it though!

Jebus
01-31-2007, 09:57 PM
Yeah, not only were the games themselves harder, but the way all games are "saved" and how that's incorporated into contemporary gaming plays a bit of a role in the convenience factor of how much easier games are. That's just one small part though, naturally.
YESS!! That's what I hate about first person shooters for pc. You could save the game at any time or place you want. I find that to be the equivalent of cheating in nes/snes games by using an emulator to save during any point of the game instead of starting all over when you fuck up. It just doesn't matter how hard a game is anymore with that type of saving system.

Homer
01-31-2007, 10:01 PM
Pfft, I've beaten Super Mario World 3 AND Battletoads... those were the days.

About the whole "new games are too easy issue": I think the reason they're more easy is because they're more story driven now. Personally, I'd much rather pay 50 bucks for a Half-Life than a Contra.

JohnnyNemesis
01-31-2007, 10:12 PM
My brother and I were able to beat it a few times. The cheesey way to win is when you're fighting Shredder, use Donatello. If you get in just the right spot, your staff is long enough to hit him but it's almost impossible for him to hit you.

For a cheesy way to get through pretty much the entire game (as far as I saw), use Donatello's "big black dick" staff (that's what me and my buds called it. yes, even when we were kids). You can slap anyone with it!

Well, "gamers" now a day are pussies and play on "normal" or "Easy".

You're an idiot sometimes.

YESS!! That's what I hate about first person shooters for pc. You could save the game at any time or place you want. I find that to be the equivalent of cheating in nes/snes games by using an emulator to save during any point of the game instead of starting all over when you fuck up. It just doesn't matter how hard a game is anymore with that type of saving system.

Fucking AMEN!

But whoooooa, other kids. Super Mario Bros.! It certainly wasn't super easy, but it wasn't even remotely difficult. And in Super Mario Bros. 3, it was damn near impossible to play the game for 30 seconds without all of a sudden looking at the bottom of the screen and noticing you had 99 lives. lawlz worthy, in retrospect.

nieh
01-31-2007, 10:40 PM
Donatello was easily the best character but it was hard enough that even his big black dick staff couldn't be considered cheesy during most of the game. On Shredder though, I remember there being a stack of boxes all the way to the right of the screen. If you stood on top of the boxes, he wasn't able to hit you but you could swing your staff down and hit him as he was trying. This was on SHREDDER. They really should've put a little more thought into the design there.

DeAtHsTaR
01-31-2007, 10:48 PM
An Angry Gamer Nerd's Review of TMNT. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hMuk2vNBhw)

nieh
01-31-2007, 10:52 PM
That's not funny. Though I may have confused my tactic for Shredder with the tactic for Rocksteady.

DeAtHsTaR
01-31-2007, 10:59 PM
That's not funny. Though I may have confused my tactic for Shredder with the tactic for Rocksteady.

Did you listen to his rant at the end? Lol I just thought it was funny how pissed he got at it. Reminds me of me in a different time.

darea
02-01-2007, 02:41 AM
Super Mario 1 and 2 were easy to beat, but Super Mario 3 was a bit harder, my sister beat it with no problem though. And I managed to beat zelda 1, but never got to the end of zelda 2... I'm sure zelda 2 would have been easier to beat if we didn't have to start the game right from the beginning each time, that's one of the things that makes these games so hard. turtle mutant ninja turtles was really hard.

Zeall
02-01-2007, 04:02 AM
Anyone played Star Ocean: till the end of time?

this is hard, there are 300 battle trophies that are possible to get in battle, like defeating enemies in one hit etc, here is a list, just scroll down to the relevant section

http://uk.faqs.ign.com/articles/754/754540p1.html

now, to get one of the trophies, you have to Defeat Freya (hardest boss in the game) at 4D mode (like legendary in halo/halo2 but harder) within 60 minutes (practically impossible)

now i can barely survive on Universe mode (the next hardness down) and i can't even get past the first Major boss

like you said, most games nowadays have the ability to change difficulty and save, but if you want a challenge, try this game on 4D mode

Lodat225
02-01-2007, 08:10 AM

Were you saying that to try an help your case?

No, 'cause you guys are right. Games are easier now-a-days thanks to the difficulty settings.

Grabbal
02-01-2007, 09:32 AM
HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That guy must own every fucking NES game ever fucking made in the entire fucking universe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

yeah.. every lisenced one..

sunsetjenn
02-01-2007, 11:06 AM
NES rules.

darea
02-01-2007, 11:30 AM
yes it does

Lodat225
02-01-2007, 12:01 PM
Castlevania 2 was frustrating too.

JohnnyNemesis
02-01-2007, 12:03 PM
It took a while to get used to Castlevania 2, but once you got the hang of it...

Yeah, it was still frustrating in terms of difficulty, but I thought it was so fucking fun!

Grabbal
02-01-2007, 12:09 PM
The first game (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkNvQYiM6bw) in this video just looks so brainless.. Did anyone in here try it??

Lodat225
02-01-2007, 12:09 PM
It took a while to get used to Castlevania 2, but once you got the hang of it...

Yeah, it was still frustrating in terms of difficulty, but I thought it was so fucking fun!

Yeah, it was fun but frustrating.

Holy shit, remember Karate Kid?! Now that was annoying.

Grabbal
02-01-2007, 12:14 PM
Holy shit, remember Karate Kid?! Now that was annoying.

I couldn't agree more!

I never actually beat the game cause I couldn't get past a level where people would just "karate" the crap out of you in a couple of seconds.. But then again I'm not very good at games and maybe you guys are..

Lodat225
02-01-2007, 12:25 PM
The bonus stages were so freaking hard! Oh, and remember that level where the wind pushes you back... god . So freaking hard.

Original prankstA
02-01-2007, 02:25 PM
I just remembered how much I loved Final Fantasy, omg, that was a great game.

Grabbal
02-01-2007, 02:29 PM
I just remembered how much I loved Final Fantasy, omg, that was a great game.

Didn't know the series went all the way back to the NES.. Now everything feels possible..

Original prankstA
02-01-2007, 02:48 PM
Didn't know the series went all the way back to the NES.. Now everything feels possible..

omg, it was sooooo sweet for it's time, ahhh the memories

Grabbal
02-01-2007, 02:52 PM
I have to say I will never forget this day on this board!!

All the talk about what we used to watch and play back in the days just gives me a warm feeling inside.. Other days when there are all this talk about politics and stuff I don't post cause I'm really not that into it..

* Sorry if that came out kinda gay *

darea
02-01-2007, 02:58 PM
I have to say I will never forget this day on this board!!

All the talk about what we used to watch and play back in the days just gives me a warm feeling inside.. Other days when there are all this talk about politics and stuff I don't post cause I'm really not that into it..

* Sorry if that came out kinda gay *

I soo agree with you, this was nice, but I guess other people might have found our threads annoying (sorry about that) all these memories of old cartoons, tv shows, video games..... I think it is really nice, makes me feel at home!

nieh
02-01-2007, 05:12 PM
Does anyone remember the game they made about Home Alone? You just had to survive for a certain amount of time but it was borderline impossible. I managed to survive for that long ONCE out of all the times I played it and the GAME DIDN'T END AND I DIED 30 SECONDS LATER!! What the fuck is up with that!?

wheelchairman
02-01-2007, 05:19 PM
You mean this game?
http://www.somethingawful.com/index.php?a=3766

DeAtHsTaR
02-01-2007, 06:12 PM
Does anyone remember the game they made about Home Alone? You just had to survive for a certain amount of time but it was borderline impossible. I managed to survive for that long ONCE out of all the times I played it and the GAME DIDN'T END AND I DIED 30 SECONDS LATER!! What the fuck is up with that!?

Hahahaha omg that game was just redonkulous!

nieh
02-01-2007, 06:52 PM
You mean this game?
http://www.somethingawful.com/index.php?a=3766

No, it was based around the first movie. You were trapped in the house and if the bad guys touched you, you lost and had to start completely over. You could pick up blocks with pictures of traps like marbles and chandeliers and each type of trap you set down would knock the guys down for a certain amount of time so you could run away freely. You had to survive for something like 20 or 30 minutes and it was next to impossible.

DeAtHsTaR
02-01-2007, 07:01 PM
DOES ANYONE KnOW THE NAME OF THIS GAME, I LIKED IT AS A BOY BUT I CANT SEEM TO RECALL ITS NAME.

http://www.theoldcomputer.com/Libarary's/Pictures/NESGameCovers/B/Battletoads%201.jpg

0r4ng3
02-01-2007, 07:05 PM
UH I THINK IT'S STREET SHARKS. YEAH.

But seriously, I don't ever remember playing so many SNES games, but I seem to remember almost every single one as you're all mentioning them.

My conscious memory only goes back as far as 1997, playing StarFox, Rampage, and Super Mario on the N64.

DeAtHsTaR
02-01-2007, 07:11 PM
It's called Battle Toads. Says so on the front. Unless you're being sarcastic. I can't read between the lines.

Sorry, the correct answer is "Is it Battletoads?".

Better Luck Next Time!

Original prankstA
02-01-2007, 07:13 PM
My conscious memory only goes back as far as 1997, playing StarFox, Rampage, and Super Mario on the N64.

StarFox -amazing
Rampage -amazing
Super Mario 64 -quite possibly the best game ever

DeAtHsTaR
02-01-2007, 07:41 PM
StarFox -amazing
Rampage -amazing
Super Mario 64 -quite possibly the best game ever

Seconded x3.

Linda
02-02-2007, 06:28 PM
[QUOTE=nieh;962132]
I for some reason always thought there were more than 1000 NES games, QUOTE]

I found a list online of 778, but the list includes unlicensed games.

mrconeman
02-02-2007, 07:01 PM
The old Mario games weren't hard at all, seriously. I beat them when I was around 7, or 8. (when we had both a NES and SNES in the house)
Super Ghouls and Ghosts fucking ruined my life as a child, me and my brother taking turns playing it managed to get all the way to the end and beat the boss after literally years of on and off playing, when it was revealed you had to do it all over again to actually have beaten it, I died inside a little that day.

Zelda: A Link to the Past wasn't terribly hard, though I admit, I didn't complete it in my childhood when I actually had it, I did it on the emulator about two years ago, and I'll also admit I used a guide a few times.

Castlevania I always thought was really fucking hard, but it was a really, really fun game, and the soundtrack was fantastic.

I always loved Sunset Riders when I was young, I fucked hated that Richard Rose. I could never beat him. (again not until my emulator days)