PDA

View Full Version : Not Quite Trendy

OFFSPR1NGDUDE3
01-20-2007, 01:31 PM
I play bass in a punk/ska band with some of my best friends, calling ourselves Not Quite Trendy.

And I'll admit that our leader singer REALLY REALLY fucking sucks. Our guitarwork isn't exactly amazing either, so yea.

We write original songs and though many of our practices aren't exactly the most productive, every once in a while we'll crap out a halfway decent song.

With that being said, this is one of my bands (I have also started with a few other bands, but I haven't gotten any recordings done with them yet)

http://myspace.com/notquitetrendyband

Stranger With Candy
01-20-2007, 01:49 PM
that was aweful.

Prox
01-20-2007, 04:09 PM
That was not awful at all. It was actually pretty good.

I don't think your singer sucks, it sounds bad because of the recording quality. Maybe if you went into a studio he could sound really good.

Grabbal
01-20-2007, 04:14 PM
Get some better recording stuff..

SkunkIt
01-20-2007, 09:56 PM
You lead singer sucks and on those recordings, the drummer sounds like crap. Also, I didn't hear any Ska there, at all.

Definitely get better recording equipment.

Other than using better recording equipment, having your drummer practice and improvise a little more, getting you lead singer vocal lessons and not calling yourselves Ska, you guys don't sounds bad, really. Keep working on it.

Original prankstA
01-21-2007, 09:53 AM
it wasn't very ska, but i compliment you on being able to play maxwell murder on bass

ZagmenO
01-22-2007, 06:28 PM
It sounded OK. Practice makes perfect.

OFFSPR1NGDUDE3
01-23-2007, 05:47 PM
You lead singer sucks and on those recordings, the drummer sounds like crap. Also, I didn't hear any Ska there, at all.

Definitely get better recording equipment.

Other than using better recording equipment, having your drummer practice and improvise a little more, getting you lead singer vocal lessons and not calling yourselves Ska, you guys don't sounds bad, really. Keep working on it.

Yea our drummer has only been playing the drums for about 6 months, so he's still mediocre. We just got a new drum set in the basement so maybe on the next recording he will sound better. He keeps saying how awesome he is and criticizes my bass playing for one facet or another. Meanwhile, I've been playing for like 3 years now while he's new to the drums.

And we are actually working on a ska song right now, and not a gay pop ska one either, we're looking for more of a two-tone sound with the next one.

OFFSPR1NGDUDE3
01-23-2007, 05:48 PM
it wasn't very ska, but i compliment you on being able to play maxwell murder on bass

Hah thanks

I play that solo with my fingers and I learned the entire solo by ear too

It's not perfect and I could probably play it to speed if i practiced with a pick, but thanks for the compliment.
and I'll tell you what I told someone else on this board: we are working on a ska song now.

SkunkIt
01-23-2007, 08:15 PM
Yea our drummer has only been playing the drums for about 6 months, so he's still mediocre. We just got a new drum set in the basement so maybe on the next recording he will sound better. He keeps saying how awesome he is and criticizes my bass playing for one facet or another. Meanwhile, I've been playing for like 3 years now while he's new to the drums.

And we are actually working on a ska song right now, and not a gay pop ska one either, we're looking for more of a two-tone sound with the next one.

Your drummer should learn from more experienced musicians, like you. Maybe if he stope critisizes you and is eager to learn, he will get better. Even a skilled drummer can sound good on a crappy drum set, but an inexperienced drummer can;t sound good on even the best equipment, if he isn't willing to learn.

Also, you should play "A Message To You, Rudie" by The Specials, but only after you guys get more experience and are able to perfect it. That song kicks ass, but only if you can play it properly.

OFFSPR1NGDUDE3
01-25-2007, 06:49 PM
Your drummer should learn from more experienced musicians, like you. Maybe if he stope critisizes you and is eager to learn, he will get better. Even a skilled drummer can sound good on a crappy drum set, but an inexperienced drummer can;t sound good on even the best equipment, if he isn't willing to learn.

Also, you should play "A Message To You, Rudie" by The Specials, but only after you guys get more experience and are able to perfect it. That song kicks ass, but only if you can play it properly.

well although he's only been playing drums 6 months, he did have some musical experience before me. he played in the school band since 4th grade as "percussionist", and he's been playing guitar for a little over a year now.
He's also been born and raised on music from his dad, who is still an active drummer, and a really fuckin good one at that. So in some ways his criticism is justified because he is a true lover of music, and he does understand a lot about music theory from his dad, who has definitely "been there, done that" and is still currently playing, too. But he does need more practice on drums before he can really criticize me all the time, though it does come usually come out as positive constructive critism anyway. And he brags because he's an asshole, and even he admits that. He says you can suck his stereotypically huge drummer's wang (His exact words, proves my point about him being an asshole)

Llamas
01-25-2007, 08:38 PM
None of the instruments are together, you're out of tune, there's nothing ska about the music, and of course the recordings are very poor. Don't put horns in your band if they can't play, also. It sounds like the people on horns had never touched them before and just decided it can't be that hard to learn for some "ska" music... :-/ sorry, honest opinion.

OFFSPR1NGDUDE3
01-26-2007, 04:30 PM
None of the instruments are together, you're out of tune, there's nothing ska about the music, and of course the recordings are very poor. Don't put horns in your band if they can't play, also. It sounds like the people on horns had never touched them before and just decided it can't be that hard to learn for some "ska" music... :-/ sorry, honest opinion.

Actually the 2 of them have been playing sax and trombone for a while, and the sax player is in jazz band and is actually very very good. The thing is they had never heard the song before they played it, and almost all of that was improvised and well, not all of it came out too great.

And my bass playing is NOT out of tune.

Drummerboy627
01-28-2007, 07:39 PM
I may have only been playing drums for about 6 months, but i'm by NO MEANS an Inexperienced musician... I've also been playing the guitar for a year, and I was born and raised in a musical household... Since the day I was born I've lived in a musical household, and you can be sure it's been a key aspect of my everyday life... As far as experienced musicians go, I'm probably the most experienced in the band, not to bash on the other's in the band... but ask the bassist, who posted this thread, and he'll most likely agree as far as music goes for all of us, I know the most, and i'm usually the most insightful, as well.

Iamstupid
01-29-2007, 08:33 AM
What a pity to have an argument between members of the same band...

T-6005
01-29-2007, 09:06 AM
What a pity people in bands can be such idiots.

That means you, Drummerboy. I pity your bandmates for having to share the room with your huge ego.

JoY
01-29-2007, 04:10 PM
I may have only been playing drums for about 6 months, but i'm by NO MEANS an Inexperienced musician... I've also been playing the guitar for a year, and I was born and raised in a musical household... Since the day I was born I've lived in a musical household, and you can be sure it's been a key aspect of my everyday life... As far as experienced musicians go, I'm probably the most experienced in the band, not to bash on the other's in the band... but ask the bassist, who posted this thread, and he'll most likely agree as far as music goes for all of us, I know the most, and i'm usually the most insightful, as well.

a musical household? a musical HOUSEHOLD?? that's forming the basis of your superiority musically? oh man.. I come from the least music household you can imagine. alright, my mother used to play the piano, but only twice a year & she sucked at it (she would instantly admit to this, if you'd ask her). I decided that I wanted to play a musical instrument when I was two, got to play it when I was four & never stopped playing ever since.

a year of playing the guitar, 6 months of playing the drums & a MUSICAL HOUSEHOLD definitely doesn't justify such an enormous ego. dude, my ego is a quarter of the size yours is & I'm actually pretty successful at what I do. here, have a humble-cookie. *kindly offers*

OFFSPR1NGDUDE3
01-31-2007, 05:05 PM
So yeah, for those of you who were commenting on this band's crappy recording quality, we have finally gotten some new, better quality recordings of Mr. Rebound, although we still need to record the horn tracks for this song, as well as our cover of Rancid's "Maxwell Murder", of which our singer doesn't know the words for yet.

Myspace is being stupid, so the songs are not up and running there, but they are working on our purevolume page:

http://purevolume.com/notquitetrendy

The other songs on there are of much lesser quality because neither of them are finished, so think about the fact that those songs are very, very rough cuts and are subject to drastic change before you post negative comments about them.

Drummerboy627
01-31-2007, 05:16 PM
By what I had previously written, I hadn't meant to come off as An egotistical Jerk, because i'm not one. Sorry.:(

Vera
02-01-2007, 01:42 AM
Merged. Only one thread per band, plz.