PDA

View Full Version : Jakebert's Music Thought of the Day

Jakebert
02-02-2007, 04:52 AM
I’ve decided that it might be fun to do a thread similar to Mota Boy’s threads in the general forum, but in the music section. Little rants and observations about music.

I don’t understand all of the love that people have for the Ramones. It’s not that I think that they’re a horrible band or anything, but they’re really not the amazing band everyone makes them out to be. They’re really not that great.

All of their songs essentially sound the same. The first album, to me, sounds like they just re-recorded the same two songs over and over again. Those two songs are fun, especially when you just want some brainless music with little thought, but that’s about it. The next 2 albums were essentially the same thing and they never really built on their style or anything. Every album after that was essentially worthless. They did try to experiment, but it was just horrible attempts at sounding like what else was on the radio at that point, and failed.

I know that they were important to launching punk rock, but they weren’t the only band. The Dead Boys, New York Dolls, Patti Smith, and countless other bands did just as much as the Ramones did. And even still, just because they helped create a genre, that’s no reason to kiss their asses the way every music critic does.

Judge B
02-02-2007, 05:28 AM
Agreed. I feel that Ramones are little overrated too.

mrconeman
02-02-2007, 06:11 AM
Pretty much agreed, yeah. And I'm a pretty big Ramones fan.

those two songs are fun, especially when you just want some brainless music with little thought
This entirely sums up my feeling on the band, I listen to them when I just want fun, or at parties, they have some very good songs, but they are all very, very samey.

I have this friend, who is always ranting that The Ramones should have had much bigger commercial success while they were still together and making albums ect, ect. I always cite the reason is the fact that all the singles they released in the earlier years sounded the same, and anything they did later was already done by countless other bands. Then I usually add that he should quit moaning about it, the band have more fan-boys than any band could ever hope for.

opivy21
02-02-2007, 07:14 AM
The Ramones are definitely overrated by a lot of people, but then there's another set of people who try to say that they sucked and that they weren't important, etc. Saying that is just as dumb as saying that they were the best band ever. Like them or not, they did a hell of a lot for music.

Personally, I think that they made some great songs. They did recycle a lot of progressions and melodies, but I don't get tired of them. They were too catchy to dislike. Also, you have to consider their music in the context of where the Ramones were. They were faster and louder than most music during and up to that time. They created a sound that was brand new in the 70s, and they definitely rubbed off on lots of bands because of that.

As for their later stuff, at least they didn't continue to make records that sound the same. They had a few good songs later on, but I prefer their first few releases.

JohnnyNemesis
02-02-2007, 08:38 AM
Fucking FUCK The Ramones.

That's my most eloquent thought of the day.

All About Eve
02-02-2007, 09:36 AM
I expected as much from you, blacky.

Whenever I think, "hey, Ramones sound good to listen to," I generally end up slapping myself after I put the cd in because I can not stand the vocals. The guitar runs together too much as well.

Jakebert
02-02-2007, 03:28 PM
The Ramones are definitely overrated by a lot of people, but then there's another set of people who try to say that they sucked and that they weren't important, etc. Saying that is just as dumb as saying that they were the best band ever. Like them or not, they did a hell of a lot for music.

Personally, I think that they made some great songs. They did recycle a lot of progressions and melodies, but I don't get tired of them. They were too catchy to dislike. Also, you have to consider their music in the context of where the Ramones were. They were faster and louder than most music during and up to that time. They created a sound that was brand new in the 70s, and they definitely rubbed off on lots of bands because of that.

As for their later stuff, at least they didn't continue to make records that sound the same. They had a few good songs later on, but I prefer their first few releases.

I'm not saying that they weren't important, but that doesn't mean that they deserve all of the attention and praise that they get. Very few critics have the balls to say that they weren't all they're cracked up to be, because they're considered rock royalty, which they really shouldn't be.

They weren't overwhelmingly original either though. A lot of bands were doing similar things that they were doing, the only difference is that the Ramones took it to an extreme. The Stooges, NY Dolls, the Dead Boys, and the Velvet Underground's "White Light/White Heat" album all did the same basic things that the Ramones were doing. And in a much more interesting way.

I have no respect for the later stuff. In his autobiography, Dee Dee outright admitted that they did that to get radio play, not for artistic progression.

opivy21
02-02-2007, 03:51 PM
I agree that they are overrated, but they deserve more credit than the average band. It's true that the Stooges, the Dolls, the Dead Boys, and the Velvet Underground were all doing something different even before the Ramones, and I personally prefer the Dolls and the Stooges to the Ramones, but the Ramones were the first to play as fast and short as they did. They were just taking their music to an extreme, but that's pretty big since the genre that they mainly influenced was about playing extreme music.

I'm not going to defend the later records. I haven't listened to them enough to be able to discuss them, and I'm pretty indifferent.