PDA

View Full Version : Mortal Kombat!

mrconeman
02-02-2007, 12:39 PM
So recently, the seniors in our school (one being me) asked for, and were granted a common room, so we can hang there during free classes away from all of those un-worthy swine born a few months after us.
And we arranged a TV for in there, and someone came up with the amazing idea of bringing in a Sega Mega-Drive (or genesis to you yanks), and we've been playing Mortal Kombat II in there constantly.

And now to my point, I've re-realized my love for the series, and I want to get a PS2 Mortal Kombat, and I'm thinking it'll be the latest one released because it has all of the characters in it, and that just sounds sweet. So, advise me, is it worth the buy?, should I buy a different PS2 MK game?, or should I stick to my sega emulator and school time playing of MK2?

F@ BANKZ
02-02-2007, 01:09 PM
Personally i much prefer Tekken to any other beat-em up, yet Mortal Kombat is the only one discludeing that which is also worth buying for a fair price, don't go spending too much though.

RickyCrack
02-02-2007, 01:40 PM
Mk is pretty sweet, however I haven't played any of the newer ones after that subzero adventures or whatever it was that came out yeeearrs ago. But if you're gonna go for ps2 get soul calibur 2 as it annihilates the competition for any fighter game.

JohnnyNemesis
02-02-2007, 02:17 PM
The last one I got was MK: Deception, and it was fantastic. Go for either of the current-gen ones.

mrconeman
02-02-2007, 02:33 PM
Personally i much prefer Tekken to any other beat-em up, yet Mortal Kombat is the only one discludeing that which is also worth buying for a fair price, don't go spending too much though.
I've owned every Tekken there is at some point or another, and still have 4 and 5 (5 having the arcade versions of the other 3 anyway). So I have all the Tekken I need.

Mk is pretty sweet, however I haven't played any of the newer ones after that subzero adventures or whatever it was that came out yeeearrs ago. But if you're gonna go for ps2 get soul calibur 2 as it annihilates the competition for any fighter game.
Sorry, I'm pretty set on MK. I like alot of the characters and never really got into Soul Calibur

The last one I got was MK: Deception, and it was fantastic. Go for either of the current-gen ones.
You've always seemed to know what you're talking about when it comes to games, I'm pretty convinced it will be worth buying now...I think I'll go for Armageddon I've been watching a few videos today, it looks awesome, and 60-something characters...mmm.

wheelchairman
02-02-2007, 03:03 PM
Khaan and I used to get really pumped when we worked out to the Mortal Kombat theme song. It was awesome.

Scorpion!

Duskygrin
02-02-2007, 03:05 PM
My bro used to play to Tekken & MK. Back in prehistory, he did...

mrconeman
02-02-2007, 03:09 PM
Khaan and I used to get really pumped when we worked out to the Mortal Kombat theme song. It was awesome.

Scorpion!

Our common room also has a bit of a hi-fi system, people bring in their mp3 players and Ipods, whilst Mortal Kombat is on the Mortal Kombat theme is always played, it actually helps!

Lodat225
02-02-2007, 03:52 PM
Uh, Mortal Kombat: Armageddon is good, not great, but good. It has many characters, but they are almost similar. The old ones were better though.

mrconeman
02-02-2007, 04:41 PM
Well, the general consensus is that it's at least good, and it's been out a few months, so I should be able to find it for a decent price.
Thanks again everyone, my mind is made up.

0r4ng3
02-02-2007, 04:43 PM
A common room? In high school? That's awesome and ridiculous at the same time. I want one now.

I'd comment on the whole Mortal Kombat debate, but it seems that you've solved your dilemma at this point.

JohnnyNemesis
02-02-2007, 04:45 PM
You've always seemed to know what you're talking about when it comes to games, I'm pretty convinced it will be worth buying now...I think I'll go for Armageddon I've been watching a few videos today, it looks awesome, and 60-something characters...mmm.

I appreciate the props. I haven't played Armageddon yet, but I also want to get it.

Khaan and I used to get really pumped when we worked out to the Mortal Kombat theme song.

Gayest. Post. EVER! (way gayer than any of my [frequent] sexual offers to any men on the BBS!)

wheelchairman
02-02-2007, 04:57 PM
Well if it's any consolation, we never actually got into shape.

RickyCrack
02-02-2007, 05:35 PM
But Ricky totally got me into shape.

mrconeman
02-02-2007, 05:40 PM
A common room? In high school? That's awesome and ridiculous at the same time. I want one now.

And it actually is as awesome as it sounds. In ways. It's a small generally crappy looking room, but its our small generally crappy looking room. We made it awesome with a coffee machine, a kettle, a TV and a Sega. Theres been talk of a SNES with Street Fighter coming in, I really hope it does, I'll ruin people at that game.

Venom Symbiote
02-02-2007, 06:12 PM
Mortal Kombat I and II are the only ones worth playing. Fuck the newer 3D installations, stay with the SNES/Mega Drive/Arcade originals.

wheelchairman
02-02-2007, 06:16 PM
DURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRH!!! OPINIONS!! ELITISM!! DUUUUUURRHHHHHHHHHH!!! IAM15!!!!
This is pretty much what all your posts say.

mrconeman
02-02-2007, 06:18 PM
I was going to say pretty much what WCM said, but he said it better than I ever would have.
I would however like to add that Venom is an elitist moron...about fucking video games, I mean Christ, at least find something worthwhile to be elitist about.

JohnnyNemesis
02-02-2007, 06:43 PM
The elitism wouldn't be nearly as annoying without the stupidity.

RickyCrack
02-02-2007, 06:52 PM
It is my professional opinion (which is fact) that Scorpion totally kicks sub-zero's ass, but only in 2d mode.

mrconeman
02-02-2007, 06:53 PM
If they ever end the series, fuck who wins the final tournament, I want Scorpion and Sub-Zero to battle to the death.

RickyCrack
02-02-2007, 06:56 PM
Scorpion would totally win. Forward-Forward:B -> Uppercut -> Repeat.

That_Guy91
02-02-2007, 06:56 PM
No, Scorpion kicks Sub-Zero's ass in 3D, too.

Get Armageddon. It worth it for Motor Kombat alone.

JohnnyNemesis
02-02-2007, 06:57 PM
I always felt that it was a toss-up in 2D, but Scorpion fucking dominates Sub-Zero in the 3D versions. He's just so much easier to master.

mrconeman
02-02-2007, 07:01 PM
I can't really form an opinion on the 3D ones. But I always thought Sub-Zero would win in the 2D ones.
Freezing the ground was one of the most tactically useful things ever, especially for when playing fags that always blocked. He can do that slide along the ground thing too, which is excellent to use to follow up a fly kick.
Scorpions awesome and all, the "Get Over Here" is probably the best move ever, free shots rule, but I think Sub-Zero would take him.

Lodat225
02-02-2007, 07:58 PM
Ah, 60 characters? They all act the same. It's not really worth wasting your money/time. Get deception.

the_offsprings_monkey
02-02-2007, 11:24 PM
You've only just got a common room and you had to ask for it?! :confused: We've always had one an we got a cafe and plasma screen in ours ;o. Anyways, You should get Mk: Armageddon cause it has loads of characters, but a downside is that game play is kinda repetitive.

Sub-Zero FTW!!

wheelchairman
02-03-2007, 03:51 AM
You've only just got a common room and you had to ask for it?! :confused: We've always had one an we got a cafe and plasma screen in ours ;o. Anyways, You should get Mk: Armageddon cause it has loads of characters, but a downside is that game play is kinda repetitive.

Sub-Zero FTW!!

Yeah but in his school they are literate.

the_offsprings_monkey
02-03-2007, 05:54 AM
Yeah but in his school they are literate.

Oh har har, yeah cause I alone represent the whole of my grammar school... Twat.
Just because I may or may not be the most clever person doesn't mean everyone else in my school isn't.

Anyways, What do you all think about the 3D Mk? Is it anywhere near as good as the 2D ones, how does it compare to Teken and just generally what's it like.

That_Guy91
02-03-2007, 06:09 AM
Ah, 60 characters? They all act the same. It's not really worth wasting your money/time. Get deception.

They don't ALL act the same, but the fighting styles tend to repeat with some characters. For some reason, Deception was one of the only ones I never bothered playing. I don't know why.

I still say Armageddon, just for Motor Kombat.

Oh, and the_offsprings_monkey, In the 3D ones, Sub-Zero really isn't that good.

mrconeman
02-03-2007, 06:12 AM
Due to Lodat's past retardation I think I'll stick with Armageddon, I'm going into town right after I make this post, if I see it in there I'll pick it up.
If it's not there I'll probably get a friend to get it from play.com or something.

wheelchairman
02-03-2007, 06:23 AM
Oh har har, yeah cause I alone represent the whole of my grammar school... Twat.
Just because I may or may not be the most clever person doesn't mean everyone else in my school isn't.

Anyways, What do you all think about the 3D Mk? Is it anywhere near as good as the 2D ones, how does it compare to Teken and just generally what's it like.

No, it's cause you're British, and thus part of the world's dumbest nation. A literacy rate even lower than the Americans (not to mention Mongolians.)

Lodat225
02-03-2007, 08:15 AM
They don't ALL act the same, but the fighting styles tend to repeat with some characters. For some reason, Deception was one of the only ones I never bothered playing. I don't know why.

I still say Armageddon, just for Motor Kombat.

Oh, and the_offsprings_monkey, In the 3D ones, Sub-Zero really isn't that good.
Yeah, they do. The graphics are horrible, the blood effects are horrible. The match ends way too quickly, and the "create-a-fatality" thing is soooo fucking troublesome. Half of the characters there are fucking worthless. I mean... Meat. MEAT!

Mrconeman; fine. buy it. be disappointed.

mrconeman
02-03-2007, 11:26 AM
Actually, I'm home from buying it, I'm not one to make snap decisions on 20 something minutes of play, but this is far from disappointing
at 20, easily worth it

That_Guy91
02-03-2007, 11:39 AM
Yeah, they do. The graphics are horrible, the blood effects are horrible. The match ends way too quickly, and the "create-a-fatality" thing is soooo fucking troublesome. Half of the characters there are fucking worthless. I mean... Meat. MEAT!

Mrconeman; fine. buy it. be disappointed.

The graphics are far from horrible. They're not the best you can possibly get, so what. If the match ends too quickly, increase the difficulty or find better friends to play against. The fatality thing I sort of agree with, but I usually don't do fatalities anyway. Meat is a joke character that came from a mod. I don't think most of them are worthless, but if you think so, just don't use them, because you've still got plenty of good ones to work with.

Oh, and if the blood wasn't overdone, it just wouldn't be Mortal Kombat.

Lodat225
02-03-2007, 06:18 PM
The graphics are far from horrible. They're not the best you can possibly get, so what. If the match ends too quickly, increase the difficulty or find better friends to play against. The fatality thing I sort of agree with, but I usually don't do fatalities anyway. Meat is a joke character that came from a mod. I don't think most of them are worthless, but if you think so, just don't use them, because you've still got plenty of good ones to work with.

Oh, and if the blood wasn't overdone, it just wouldn't be Mortal Kombat.

The graphics are pretty bad. If you increase it, either you get beat too quickly, or it's a frustrating 20 second match. The fatalities is what makes Mortal Kombat. In Armageddon, i don't even want to do fatalities. Each character has only like 3 "special" moves, and they suck. Sub-Zero's (my personal favorite) ice-ball thing was fucking horrible. It's not that the blood wasn't overdone, it looked like crap. It literally looked like red painting circles all over the floor.

mrconeman
02-03-2007, 06:25 PM
lolol your still talking like people care what you think

Lodat225
02-03-2007, 06:26 PM
I'm not talking to you, i'm just replying to That_guy.

bhg_rulz2
02-03-2007, 06:33 PM
GET THE NEW MORTAL KOMBAT...its called...mortal kombat: armageddon...itrs really awesome!

mrconeman
02-04-2007, 04:48 AM
Actually, I'm home from buying it, I'm not one to make snap decisions on 20 something minutes of play, but this is far from disappointing
at 20, easily worth it

uhh, yeah...

That_Guy91
02-04-2007, 05:24 PM
The graphics are pretty bad. If you increase it, either you get beat too quickly, or it's a frustrating 20 second match. The fatalities is what makes Mortal Kombat. In Armageddon, i don't even want to do fatalities. Each character has only like 3 "special" moves, and they suck. Sub-Zero's (my personal favorite) ice-ball thing was fucking horrible. It's not that the blood wasn't overdone, it looked like crap. It literally looked like red painting circles all over the floor.

Well, I guess the fatalities thing isn't an issue for me because I never really wanted to do them. And the special moves thing really depends on the character. Some only have like 2, and others have 5 or 6.

wheelchairman
02-04-2007, 05:28 PM
You're communicating with Lodat. That's insulting to everyone else you assumably communicate with. Ew.

Lodat225
02-04-2007, 05:34 PM
You're communicating with Lodat. That's insulting to everyone else you assumably communicate with. Ew.

I think everybody here has communicated with me in one way or other. So please, don't get your panties in a bunch.