PDA

View Full Version : After 4 years of living on my own, I finally bought myself an iron

nieh
02-03-2007, 08:04 PM
Today I am truly an adult.

Original prankstA
02-03-2007, 08:45 PM
I don't know if I'm worthy of posting first in a thread such as this but, that's pretty cool I guess.

Tizzalicious
02-04-2007, 12:15 AM
My parents got us one last October, I've never used it.

the_GoDdEsS
02-04-2007, 02:06 AM
I used to have one when I lived away from home, but I rarely ever used it. Somehow stretching clothes before hanging them up to dry always did the trick. Unless you have shirts that need to look presentable. My family has three. Since the new one broke we temporarily started using the old one from the 80's. It's so ridiculously heavy you could knock somebody dead with it, but it works just fine. Sometimes it's hard to believe how things from the 80's have superior quality.

Lizardus
02-04-2007, 07:58 AM
If you don't sing Iron Man i'm going to be disappointed.

Jakebert
02-04-2007, 08:05 AM
I don't know if my parents have ever actually ironed any of my clothes. They iron theirs, but I think they know I could care less about that.

nieh
02-04-2007, 08:39 AM
I don't hang my clothes to dry, I put them in a drier and I normally am too lazy to hang them or fold them up right afterwards so they end up pretty wrinkled. Normally I don't care but every now and then I'll pick up a shirt and be like "holy shit, that's really wrinkled" and then end up just grabbing a different one. I'll probably only end up using it like 3 times before I forget I have it.

Jakebert
02-04-2007, 10:32 AM
I don't hang my clothes either. The only clothes I really care about are my dress clothes, and I wear those maybe 2 or 3 times a year, so they don't get too wrinkeled.

Betty
02-04-2007, 08:41 PM
I finally gave in to buying an iron when I wanted to hem some pants and so wanted to be able to uncrease the previous hem, and make a new crease for a new hem. Haven't used it since, but I guess it might be handy to have for that one time I'll need it in the next few years.

Maybe I'll take up making my own iron-on clothing.

JoY
02-05-2007, 06:07 AM
it's been almost 4 years, since I lived with my parents. I don't have an iron & I thank myself, my mother & God for it every day, or else I'd feel obligated in some twisted way I always feel obligated towards material to be of good use & obligated towards the one who had paid for it (either me myself, my mother, or God, obviously) & I would have to IRON.. to get rid of that annoying feeling.

sKratch
02-05-2007, 06:17 AM
I don't hang my clothes to dry, I put them in a drier and I normally am too lazy to hang them or fold them up right afterwards so they end up pretty wrinkled. Normally I don't care but every now and then I'll pick up a shirt and be like "holy shit, that's really wrinkled" and then end up just grabbing a different one. I'll probably only end up using it like 3 times before I forget I have it.

Hah I love what laziness does... You don't feel like folding your clothes, so to avoid it you go out and buy an iron. Ironing shirts is not only more time consuming and annoying than folding clothes, but you had to go out and buy a god damn iron.

Whiplash
02-05-2007, 06:28 AM
Mothers really are handy things.;)

JoY
02-05-2007, 06:46 AM
schweetcheeks, you still live at home!

if you were over the age of 20, I'm afraid I would have to consider it pathetic, but since you aren't.. I'll just say it's perfectly healthy & normal that a) your loving & caring mother does the ironing for you, especially since you still live at home anyway, b) my mother doesn't do my ironing for me. the worst part about me is.. I'm fairly certain my mother WOULD do the ironing for me, if I still lived at home, or if I would take my dirty laundry with me the days I go to my parents. better yet, she would wash, dry, iron AND fold the laundry for me.

Whiplash
02-05-2007, 06:47 AM
But thats taking advantage of her kindness.

JoY
02-05-2007, 06:50 AM
yes well, that's why I don't take my dirty laundry with me, when I go to my parents'. my brother still sometimes does, or well, rarely. he's 28 years old.

Whiplash
02-05-2007, 06:54 AM
But he's a guy, He's just not used to doing his laundry. ( thats came out very sexist:rolleyes: )

He'll get the hang of hit someday(i think)

Sinister
02-05-2007, 06:55 AM
I still live at my parents', but I gotta do all my laundry myself. And this thread just reminded me I should have done it last week. Fuck.

JoY
02-05-2007, 06:59 AM
But he's a guy, He's just not used to doing his laundry. ( thats came out very sexist:rolleyes: )

He'll get the hang of hit someday(i think)

...let me tell you, if you grew up having MY mother for a mother.. you'd have NO idea how kitchen machinery works, how washing machines work, how the fucking coffee machine works. she's the mothery kind of type, the extremely caring type, that wants her family to be permanently happy, no matter if that takes a cup of steaming hot creamy delicious cappuccino, or a perfectly folded, clean, crisp blouse.

Whiplash
02-05-2007, 07:03 AM
My mother is the other way around. I know how to iron how to make coffee how to wash my clothes how to clean the dishes. She's more of the" figure it out yourself'' type.
That doesn't mean she doesn't care. I've just always been thaught: first try it yourself then ask for help;)

JoY
02-05-2007, 07:27 AM
I'm not saying a mother with a different attitude isn't caring, or even extremely caring, like my mother. I'm saying they have a different point of view, when it comes to making/keeping her family happy & what makes/keeps a family happy. my mother always thought THIS ultimately would ensure her of a happy family. she isn't just like, caring.. she TAKES care of us. also in the most domestic way possible.

I exaggerated, when I described my mother. I know how the washing machine works, I know how the coffee machine works, et cetera. but it's not like I've ever had to use them on a regular basis, before I moved out of the house. my mother saw it as her personal task to have everything we could ever need ready & waiting for us at any time.

she's the same when she has guests. guests at our house don't even know what they need, before they've spent an evening with my mother. she prepares the most wonderful meals, makes the table look like she's having royalty for dinner, of course using our finest silver & crystal, even matches every candle, every tablecloth, every napkin & every oven mitt & the food... oh dear god, the FOOD. if you were ever wondering why I used to weigh 17 kg more than I do now.. stop wondering. this is not even all of it; for a woman her age, she's a fucking model. she's thin, she's pretty, she's good company, she can entertain on command, but she can also just entertain..

she's good at pleasing people in the domestic kind of way. she's not exactly the domestic kind of person, though. no, no. she's more the "keeping up appearances"-kind of type.

Whiplash
02-05-2007, 07:42 AM
It sounds like you have a really great mother.:)

JoY
02-05-2007, 07:55 AM
oh yes, I do.:) remind me to be more grateful for it. I try to never take it for granted, but sometimes I do. sometimes it even irritates me that she would never let you take care of herself, as long as she's around. it's like you're a child who's just learned to walk, but who's constantly picked up anyway. it's annoying to be robbed of every form of initiative sometimes.

but yeah, she makes everything to look perfect & everything she does, she does with the best intentions & most of the times it has the result she was aiming for. if you keep up appearances the way she does, you can barely speak of "appearances". it's just her way & the way she's been raised & everything. everybody knows that.

I hope you understand that while I'm writing this down, I can feel that bit of annoyance under my skin.

Whiplash
02-05-2007, 08:10 AM
I know accectly what you feel. And i think almost every person has that with there mother/parents.

nieh
02-05-2007, 05:46 PM
it's been almost 4 years, since I lived with my parents. I don't have an iron & I thank myself, my mother & God for it every day, or else I'd feel obligated in some twisted way I always feel obligated towards material to be of good use & obligated towards the one who had paid for it (either me myself, my mother, or God, obviously) & I would have to IRON.. to get rid of that annoying feeling.
If you've managed 4 years without being "oh shit, I need an iron", you probably don't really need one so if you got one you wouldn't have any reason to use it.

Hah I love what laziness does... You don't feel like folding your clothes, so to avoid it you go out and buy an iron. Ironing shirts is not only more time consuming and annoying than folding clothes, but you had to go out and buy a god damn iron.

I always put off laundry until I really need to do it which normally means I end up doing it sometime during the week. My laziness at 11:30 at night when my laundry is just coming out of the drier when I have to get up for work at 6:45 is stronger than my laziness during most other random points of the day. Possibly ironing one shirt in the morning is a lot easier to me than preventing them from getting wrinkled in the first place.

the_GoDdEsS
02-06-2007, 02:05 AM
Do you or your mothers hate it? I rarely iron things but it's quite nice. It's kinda funny how some people think it's relaxing and some loathe ironing for the whole family. When I was teaching conditionals in German, I asked my adult students to write down what they'd invent and why. Apparently an ironing machine, because it was so terrible.

Tizzalicious
02-06-2007, 03:41 AM
I'd invent a laundry machine, I hate that way more. But that's mainly because it consists of going down to the basement like 10 times in one day. And it just keeps on coming.

About mom's doing laundry, I DO take mine all way from Denmark to Holland sometimes :o Only because the machines here seem to shrink my wooly sweaters though!

JoY
02-06-2007, 04:53 AM
If you've managed 4 years without being "oh shit, I need an iron", you probably don't really need one so if you got one you wouldn't have any reason to use it.

yes, I would. because someone would have taken the effort & money to buy it for me, or at least donate it to me. plus, I can't have anything in & around the house that's just sitting there, collecting dust, being completely abandoned, neglected & unfunctional. that's just sad.:( you don't understand the concept of feelings of guilt/obligation?

nieh
02-06-2007, 05:00 AM
I do, but I also understand the feeling of "if it's not broke, don't fix it". If you don't have a problem with your clothes getting wrinkled now, would you intentionally let them get wrinkled when you got an iron just so you have an excuse to use it?

ninthlayer
02-06-2007, 05:22 AM
The only shirts that I ever iron are my white dress shirts, everything else can fucking blow me. I've been doing laundry since I was six years old and, yet, I still usually end up keeping all of my clean clothes in a basket so they get all nice and wrinkled up and then I just throw my dirty clothes on the floor. Oh, and I have three fucking dressers (one of which I have had for a year and never put together). Oh, and irons are nice when you're making shirts.

Man, I'm so fucking awesome it hurts.

JoY
02-06-2007, 05:40 AM
I do, but I also understand the feeling of "if it's not broke, don't fix it". If you don't have a problem with your clothes getting wrinkled now, would you intentionally let them get wrinkled when you got an iron just so you have an excuse to use it?

lyke, no. I would iron the wrinkles that are in them now away. dude, it's not like I "let" anything "get wrinkled", things just get wrinkled, okay? it's not like I do it & if I did, it's not like I do it on purpose.:(

by "intentionally let them get wrinkled", I just imagined myself making all my just washed clothes into a ball, playing soccer with them with my boyfriend. weird.

Duskygrin
02-06-2007, 12:06 PM
My mother irons perfectly. She irons my father's shirts, he gets compliments on them every day. This is almost crazy. She has this technique... I learnt it from her, so hopefully I can hold my own as well.

My mother, bless her soul, bought me a Phillips iron. It's just great. I live away from home, do the laundry on Sat & the ironing on Sunday. I can't go around like a gipsy or a beggar. If I wear a dress it has to look spotless, creaseless from every angle. My mother would kill me if I didn't iron my clothes. She would tell me: "Whom have I raised, a little gipsy?" & I'd feel ashamed & small, small. Every time I iron I think of her. I think I love her a whole deal. She pays for my clothes when (& this "when" reflects 2/3 of my life) I can't afford them... it's only normal I should take care of them.

& I understand you, Bella.

Nina
02-07-2007, 12:04 AM
I do the laundry in the family because I dont trust anybody else on it. Our dryer broke down and we cant afford a new one, so we always have to hang the clothes...and both my mom and brother are able to hang the clothes in a way that they'll need ironing afterwards djkgnjhdbswhdbshdadöl.
So yeah, I do it.

I'm obsessed with having neat clothes. I hate to iron clothes, but I love doing it for others because I know how everyone around me hates it even more. I've ironed all of Björn's clothes twice already. He was happy.

The thing is, some clothes will just look like shit if they are wrinkled. My jeans need to be ironed and blouses also need to be ironed. Which is why I hate washing either.

I guess I do things right, cause my clothes stay in perfect condition for YEARS. Yes, I'm slightly proud.