PDA

View Full Version : Straight Edge

endlesst0m
02-05-2007, 02:05 PM
What is your opinion on the Straight Edge lifestyle? It's become very popular where I live, thanks in part to the recent popularity of hardcore punk, where it was spawned. But personally, I think recreational drug and alcohol use is fine if done safely and in moderation, so I disagree with the Straight Edge philosophy. What's your philosophy on recreational drug and alcohol use?

Linkage... http://www.straightedge.com/

That_Guy91
02-05-2007, 02:08 PM
I have no interest in using drugs or alcohol, but I don't really think I want to take the straight edge label, because most people who embrace it are militant about it and it can get annoying.

Amiralanal
02-05-2007, 02:11 PM
my opinion: if you dont liek to drink, fine, but dont be a bitch about it.

XYlophonetreeZ
02-05-2007, 02:25 PM
Acting like a self-important pseudo-badass asshole because you don't drink is no more irrational than acting like a self-important pseudo-badass asshole because you do, and the latter is far more common.

But they're both pretty fucking stupid. Fuck straight-edgers, but fuck people who use alcohol to further their ego equally.

coke_a_holic
02-05-2007, 02:26 PM
I have no interest in using drugs or alcohol, but I don't really think I want to take the straight edge label, because most people who embrace it are militant about it and it can get annoying.

Exactly! I don't need to be "straightXedge" just because I don't want to drink or do drugs. The entire label bullshit is, well, bullshit. I don't want to drink, but I don't want to have to draw X's on my hands and listen to shitty music, too.

Jakebert
02-05-2007, 02:33 PM

Exactly. I dont drink or use drugs, but I hate anyone that has to show off their convictions and lifestyle by being an arrogent ass about it.

Original prankstA
02-05-2007, 02:36 PM
Everything I would've said has already been said, it's stupid.

Amiralanal
02-05-2007, 02:44 PM
They dont fuck around either.

endlesst0m
02-05-2007, 02:50 PM
Exactly! I don't need to be "straightXedge" just because I don't want to drink or do drugs. The entire label bullshit is, well, bullshit. I don't want to drink, but I don't want to have to draw X's on my hands and listen to shitty music, too.

But people conform to subcultures/organizations/political parties all the time if they believe in thier ideals. Some people who take on the SxE label use it to feel important and get attention, but that doesn't mean all of them do that. Do you believe you have an actual philosophical difference from Straight Edger's, or is it just that you don't want to feel like you conformed to the ways of these self-important pricks that you describe?

Edit: I don't want this to have that "I'm suspecting that you're an idiot" tone, I just want to hear how you explain this.

wheelchairman
02-05-2007, 02:59 PM
It comes from them being morons with stupid opinions. This is why they don't usually exist past the age of 20. It's like punks.

0r4ng3
02-05-2007, 05:31 PM
How did this not get posted yet?
http://www.mitchclem.com/nothingnice/comics/20020313.jpg

Anyway, I'm mostly in agreeance with Mike. I'm in no rush to do drugs and drink, but that doesn't make me Straight Edge.

sKratch
02-05-2007, 06:15 PM
This is why they don't usually except past the age of 20.

What?

Anyways, usually people stop being sXe omgzzzz after they turn 21.

Edit: That was the exact comic I was thinking of. Didn't feel like looking for it and I'm glad I didn't.

wheelchairman
02-05-2007, 06:16 PM
Except should be exist.

ninthlayer
02-05-2007, 11:45 PM
fag

my opinion: if you dont liek to drink, fine, but dont be a bitch about it.
fag

fag

Everything I would've said has already been said, it's stupid.
fag

But people conform to subcultures/organizations/political parties all the time if they believe in thier ideals. Some people who take on the SxE label use it to feel important and get attention, but that doesn't mean all of them do that. Do you believe you have an actual philosophical difference from Straight Edger's, or is it just that you don't want to feel like you conformed to the ways of these self-important pricks that you describe?

Edit: I don't want this to have that "I'm suspecting that you're an idiot" tone, I just want to hear how you explain this.
fag

It comes from them being morons with stupid opinions. This is why they don't usually exist past the age of 20. It's like punks.
<3

How did this not get posted yet?
http://www.mitchclem.com/nothingnice/comics/20020313.jpg

Anyway, I'm mostly in agreeance with Mike. I'm in no rush to do drugs and drink, but that doesn't make me Straight Edge.
old old old old, you're a faggot.

What?

Anyways, usually people stop being sXe omgzzzz after they turn 21.

Edit: That was the exact comic I was thinking of. Didn't feel like looking for it and I'm glad I didn't.
like ninthz at 19.

Rag Doll
02-05-2007, 11:50 PM
straightedge is big in south jersey?

wow. north jersey & south jersey really are two completely different worlds.

Judge B
02-06-2007, 02:16 AM
I'm trying to stop drinking badly now. If keep my current lifestyle I won't live long. :(

the_GoDdEsS
02-06-2007, 02:55 AM
I'm aware of no such thing here, naturally. In fact, the first time I heard something like this existed was on these forums a couple years ago. Back when there were all these teenyboppers and trendy assholes hate topics.

nieh
02-06-2007, 05:18 AM

All the south Jersey kids just want to be cool like me. Though I never use the term straightedge on myself due to all the reasons already stated.

JoY
02-06-2007, 05:44 AM
whatever. if people don't want to drink, because either a) they don't like alcohol, b) they mind the effects, c) out of principle, then fine. I'm not bothered by their personal opinion & the behaviour this results in. personally I have a somewhat different attitude towards alcohol, meaning I do enjoy alcoholic drinks, depending on which one it is, of course.

of course what we're discussing is about something.. slightly more radical. well, in some ways.. I understand the Straight Edge culture. we are talking about substances that are (potentially) harmful to the human being, so refusing to take those substances altogether is rather understandable & pretty.. noble. what I don't understand is why there needs to be some kind of subculture that's defined by refusing these substances. like there's a label for people who aren't sXe. "normal"? or; "does what he/she thinks is right/okay without feeling moral objections & lacks the terrible taste in music sXe'rs have." that's a pretty complicated label, if you ask me.

I'm not bothered if people have different opinions or views than I do, I would be bothered if they thought their different opinion/view was worth more/more important than mine. to them, sure it is, I don't blame anyone for attaching sentimental value et cetera to their views & principles. but I refuse to have a view/opinion forced on me like mad. sometimes it's teh funnies, but generally I hate that shit.

endlesst0m
02-06-2007, 10:07 AM

Yeah it's pretty big here. Hardcore punk is huge and a lot of hardcore punks are straight edge. Maybe the culture is a little bit different here because we're so close to the city of Philadelphia, and you guys, New York.

calichix
02-06-2007, 10:22 AM
I'd be straight edge if I didn't luh the sticky endo and the hennessy and ice cream.

edit: oh wait. just read that website. psych on that one, guys.

Rag Doll
02-06-2007, 10:54 AM
All the south Jersey kids just want to be cool like me.

oh, well, who wouldn't want to be cool like you, Joshy.

Yeah it's pretty big here. Hardcore punk is huge and a lot of hardcore punks are straight edge. Maybe the culture is a little bit different here because we're so close to the city of Philadelphia, and you guys, New York.

Yeah, I know things might be a *bit* different because of the influence of the major cities. I just didn't think it would be *so* different. I don't know anyone in north Jersey that has those ideals, whether they label themselves straightedge or not. I was thinking at first that maybe you were a few years younger than me and were therefore talking about a lot of high school kids (maybe you are, I don't know)...but you're only a year younger than I am. Either way, I'd be interesting in knowing the actual percentages and whatnot. I'd like to see if it's actually a HUGE thing in south Jersey, or just huge amongst some people you know.

endlesst0m
02-06-2007, 11:56 AM
I don't know anyone in north Jersey that has those ideals, whether they label themselves straightedge or not. I was thinking at first that maybe you were a few years younger than me and were therefore talking about a lot of high school kids (maybe you are, I don't know)...but you're only a year younger than I am. Either way, I'd be interesting in knowing the actual percentages and whatnot. I'd like to see if it's actually a HUGE thing in south Jersey, or just huge amongst some people you know.

HUGE would be an exaggeration, but it's definatley big enough to be called "trendy". With high schoolers it's even a little more popular, because drinking and drugs are a little easier to avoid in highschool, and high school kids seem more likely to follow trends to feel accepted.

Rocky-girl
02-06-2007, 12:41 PM
I think that from one hand it's for little boys who trust, who belive in world without smoking, drinking etc. but while growing up they understand that it's false, that smoking and drinking are everywhere and they can't save whole world from it!
From the other hand it's a idea that can save some people)
I like this idea and I hope that sometime I'll give up all my bad manners)