PDA

View Full Version : The Official Final Fantasy Thread

the_offsprings_monkey
02-07-2007, 05:53 PM
Ok, so the other day I got Final Fantasy VII and VIII (both of which I've play before) from ebay for only 20! and I'm not playing them non-stop. what is your favorite Final Fantasy and why?

Mine is IX, the storyline is amazing and so are the characters. VIVI FTW!

Apathy
02-07-2007, 06:03 PM
Only one I've ever played was VII, however it bored the hell out of me so I stopped maybe twenty minutes into it?

Original prankstA
02-07-2007, 06:30 PM
The first one, it's where it all started, and was one of my favorite games as a lad.

the_offsprings_monkey
02-07-2007, 06:31 PM
Only one I've ever played was VII, however it bored the hell out of me so I stopped maybe twenty minutes into it?

...gofuckyourselfthankyouverymuch!

0r4ng3
02-07-2007, 06:32 PM
The only one I played was VII, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The only reason I stopped was because there was a specific part I could never get past.

Original prankstA
02-07-2007, 06:34 PM
this isn't really on topic but did anybody ever play the legend of dragoon?
it was like an off-brand final fantasy with four discs

Lodat225
02-07-2007, 06:36 PM
Ugh, i hate these types of games. Nah-ah. They suck. I'll just stick to fps shooters and brawlers.

the_offsprings_monkey
02-07-2007, 06:42 PM
Ugh, i hate these types of games. Nah-ah. They suck. I'll just stick to fps shooters and brawlers.
I hate these sort of posters! They don't play, know or like the game, yet they still waste space and post in the thread! Why?! Don't fucking ask me!

Lodat225
02-07-2007, 06:45 PM
I hate these sort of posters! They don't play, know or like the game, yet they still waste space and post in the thread! Why?! Don't fucking ask me!

I did play Final Fantasy VII and the current ones. I hated them. I just don't enjoy picking what you're going to do and then seeing it in a boring, slow way. I just don't like these types of games. I rather play Lost Planet, or Splinter Cell than these types of games. By splinter cell, i mean stealth games. By Lost Planet, i mean 3rd person shooters. I also enjoyed Call of Duty 2, fps shooters. I hated these games, but i'm going to try out Blue Dragon 'cause it seems better than Final Fantasy.

Endymion
02-07-2007, 06:57 PM
six is the best. end of story.

Apathy
02-07-2007, 07:03 PM
Eh, the funny thing is is that I love most RPG's. They would probably be my favorite type of game. And yet Final Fintasy, considered by many to be the jewel of the genre, I despise. I could not understand it's popularity.

I stay with my Morrowind. I've had it for years and It's still more fun than any new game I've played.

nieh
02-07-2007, 07:06 PM
six is the best. end of story.

Endy wins.

All About Eve
02-07-2007, 07:18 PM
VI is the best, with VIII soon after.

Vera
02-08-2007, 02:30 AM
Six was best but I enjoyed the playing experience of seven more. That game was on crack.

Four had the best characters, period.

Zeall
02-08-2007, 03:05 AM
it's so difficult to say which is the best

long ago, i 100% 7 and 8, nine pisses me off with the skipping which i can't do >.<

atm i'm working on 10, i'm just trying to get my luck stat to max, it's so difficult compared to the others, but i'm nearly there, once i do that, bring on penance and nemesis

darea
02-08-2007, 05:11 AM
I have final fantasy one and two on game boy advance, Ive nearly finished FF2, I think they are kinda sweet. I also played FF VII and thats my favourite of those that I have played. I was very stupid when I first bought it because I couldnt get past the first place, because I kept getting explosed with the bomb but then when I managed to get past that, something like in 2005 when I started playing it again (I had bought the game new when it came out on PC) well the game stopped working when I had really got into it, and we were supposed to do a race with those big birds (whats their name?) so that pissed me off

Zeall
02-08-2007, 05:15 AM
Chocobo10 char

darea
02-08-2007, 05:19 AM
Chocobo10 char

yeah thanks chocobo

Zeall
02-08-2007, 05:31 AM
you can usually find a used copy really cheap nowadays, the story gets much better, it's just getting back into it without restarting that's hard

All About Eve
02-08-2007, 05:50 AM
FFX is incredibly easy.

Zeall
02-08-2007, 06:13 AM
FFX is incredibly easy.

have you attempted the sidequests? and dark aeons? etc?

you can't just say it's easy without explaining why, and what you have done

randman21
02-08-2007, 06:32 AM
FFX is incredibly easy.
Disagree plz. I beat the hell out of FFVIII in 55 hours (accidentally, and while going at a leisurely pace), and simply cannot get past the final boss of FFX.

With that being said, I'm totally gay for Squall Leonhart and everything about FFVIII.

Zeall
02-08-2007, 06:35 AM
simply cannot get past the final boss of FFX.

try doing some monster arena stuff, or unlocking some celestial weapons

which characters do you use?

randman21
02-08-2007, 06:42 AM
It's been a while since I gave it my last shot, but I think it was Tidus, Kimahri, and Yuna.

Zeall
02-08-2007, 06:45 AM
It's been a while since I gave it my last shot, but I think it was Tidus, Kimahri, and Yuna.

Kimahri is a bag of wank, no seriously, the game designers actually fucked up the character design and made him a blue tiger thing, when the script clearly said "bag of wank"

Use Wakka instead, very good throughout, plus if you get his attack reels right (easy) you can hit 12 times, and with enough strength and Break Damage Limit, he can do 12 x 99,999 damage, like mine

darea
02-08-2007, 06:46 AM

I have no ideas who those people are, probably because I have never played that game and also because when I play final fantasy I change the names of all the people so I have no idea what names they normally have

randman21
02-08-2007, 06:51 AM
Kimahri is a bag of wank, no seriously, the game designers actually fucked up the character design and made him a blue tiger thing, when the script clearly said "bag of wank"

Use Wakka instead, very good throughout, plus if you get his attack reels right (easy) you can hit 12 times, and with enough strength and Break Damage Limit, he can do 12 x 99,999 damage, like mine

Wow, awesome. I will have to try that.

So...are you saying you don't like Kimahri? Heh.

I have no ideas who those people are, probably because I have never played that game and also because when I play final fantasy I change the names of all the people so I have no idea what names they normally have

Normally, I would do that, too, but I think on FFX, you can only change the name of the main guy, Tidus.

darea
02-08-2007, 06:53 AM
Wow, awesome. I will have to try that.

Normally, I would do that, too, but I think on FFX, you can only change the name of the main guy, Tidus.

Oh well THAT SUCKS!!! one thing I really like in games, is changing the name, I remember the first time I played FF 7, there was that bearded guy and he looked like a bad guy so a friend of mine told me to call him "asshole" lol it just makes the game more fun

Zeall
02-08-2007, 06:57 AM

in FFX you can only change the Main characters name (and the summons) because everyones names are spoken during the scenes and stuff

Zeall
02-08-2007, 06:59 AM

i like Kimahri as a character, its just his weapons and limits are absolutely balls

darea
02-08-2007, 06:59 AM
in FFX you can only change the Main characters name (and the summons) because everyones names are spoken during the scenes and stuff

yeah I get it, but still... its a shame, Im not gonna buy the game anyway cause it would use too much space on my pc and I dont have a ps2 or whatever else its on

randman21
02-08-2007, 07:01 AM
i like Kimahri as a character, its just his weapons and limits are absolutely balls

Nah, I'm joshin'. I agree, though. He didn't quite live up to his potential.

Zeall
02-08-2007, 07:02 AM
yeah I get it, but still... its a shame, Im not gonna buy the game anyway cause it would use too much space on my pc and I dont have a ps2 or whatever else its on

i'ts on ps2, there may be a mod for the PC, never tried it

the only non PC game i've played on my PC is Chrono Trigger

Zeall
02-08-2007, 07:04 AM
Nah, I'm joshin'. I agree, though. He didn't quite live up to his potential.

also, to get his Celestial weapons, one of the requirements is to go Butterfly Catching

he's such a fag

mrconeman
02-08-2007, 09:11 AM
Uhm, FFX was piss easy, and that includes pretty much 100%'ing it, I think I missed one or two things, but yeah, very easy game.

To be honest, after you become reasonably good at any Final Fantasy game, you're going to find the others easy, I mean, theres a simple system, if you get stuck, go away and level up 3 or 4 times and whatever you were stuck on is easy. The only way I'd class the games in difficulty is how hard it is to level up, find the secret stuff, and generally 100% the game.

I haven't beaten them all, though I've played them all to varying degrees. FFVII introduced me to the series, and to this day it's still my favourite game of all time, FFVIII I still play sometimes, and I did 100% that one too, IX I disliked a little, though it was picking up, I have a feeling if I played it again I could like it, I got to the second disk and the copy I had was broken :(.
X gets too much slagging off I think, I mean yeah, it wasn't great by any means, but it really wasn't a horrible game, the characters were sub-par I guess, and the voice acting was horrible (Auron was cool though) but on the whole it's definatly at least okay.

Seeing as the rest of us have to wait, how is FFXII for those that have it?

Grabbal
02-08-2007, 09:46 AM
I got FFX and I think I spend 120 or so playing through the whole thing.. But it was my first FF game and maybe that's why.. lol

Vera
02-08-2007, 11:45 AM
lulz yea how dull dat i cant name ma ff characters funny namez liek penis and pussyeater. LOL! and once i had a ff7 game with cloud named 'homo' lololololol

JohnnyNemesis
02-08-2007, 11:46 AM
Final Fantasy is fine, but fuck their fans.

Vera
02-08-2007, 11:48 AM
Final Fantasy is fine, but fuck their fans.

I wish somebody did. :(

Yatesy
02-08-2007, 12:48 PM
Final Fantasy VII is the best imo just for the storyline. FF IX is my 2nd followed by VIII. X was ok but way too easy and X-2 was just a joke. I hope XII is good as it looks.

Bryan875
02-08-2007, 03:58 PM
i was introduced into the series from VII, and the game is still me second fav game only topped by chrono trigger. I seriously was dissapointed by X and all of them after, especially XII. I think its actually less fun to be able to use any weapon on any char. I think every char should use different weapons generally. and i think XII was just not very fun to play, i liked the old click and watch battle system, if i want to move my char in battle i will play some thing like zelda. the only good parts of X was the voice overs and the story, but any game that is that much of a pain in the ass is pointless for me to play. I have played the ones before VII and they were ok, but i think they started making them easier once they hit the ps. XIII wasnt bad, but IX was better.

All About Eve
02-08-2007, 04:01 PM
have you attempted the sidequests? and dark aeons? etc?

you can't just say it's easy without explaining why, and what you have done
I've done everything short of a No Sphere Grid challenge or Tidus only challenge. I beat the final boss in like, four rounds, without using summons. If you know how and where to train, it's incredibly easy. I didn't have a single character die the whole game.

Zeall
02-08-2007, 04:47 PM
I've done everything short of a No Sphere Grid challenge or Tidus only challenge. I beat the final boss in like, four rounds, without using summons. If you know how and where to train, it's incredibly easy. I didn't have a single character die the whole game.

see, that's all we ask, and i'm impressed

Vera
02-08-2007, 05:58 PM
The good thing about FFs is the reward of figuring it out - once you get the hang of it, the next game becomes easier and soon even the tougher earlier ones become easy. Yayz.

All About Eve
02-08-2007, 08:34 PM
If you're having trouble on FFX, train on the cactuars. Incredible XP. All you have to do is send all your characters out, defend with them, then take them out with any of your characters that can actually hit them. The desert where you have to get all the stones to enter only has cactuars.

Paint_It_Black
03-17-2007, 03:29 AM
which characters do you use?

This implies you aren't using them all. This makes me sad.

My first time through the game I generally brought every character into every fight so they'd all level equally. Auron, Tidus and Yuna were my favourites.

Kimahri is whatever you make him, so if yours is a bag of wank it's really your own fault. I quite like having him follow Auron's path. And his overdrives are good in certain situations.

In contrast, Wakka's overdrives kinda suck. They are the hardest to perform perfectly, and the damn element reels can end up healing your enemy if you fuck it up. Plus he's a ball throwing faggot, though admittedly I was quite fond of him.

FFX was the first FF I played. Well, that's if you don't count the few hours I forced myself to play of FFVII because everyone said it was so great. I just couldn't get into it. I thought FFX was pretty much amazing. Great gameplay, amazing world and story, excellent characters and more emotion than I knew it was possible to fit into a piece of circular plastic. I've played it through several times now, and done everything (I think) on the US edition. I've decided it kind of spoils it when you max out all characters completely and they all become the same, so I'd recommend not playing it quite that obsessively. Oh, and I adored the music. And yes, the game was incredibly easy, and it was my first time playing the genre. I only died a handfull of times, and each time was from those lovely confuse/berserk/poison combinations. Seriously, fuck malboros.

I played FFXI online for a while. It was ok.

I played X-2 until my original PS2 died, I'd guess I was maybe halfway into it. I was thoroughly disappointed by it.

WARNING, FOLLOWING TEXT MAY CONTAIN VAGUE SPOILERS.

I started FFXII recently and I'm loving it. The combat system is just awesome. It's like playing an MMORPG except you control the whole group yourself. Which means your healer won't go AFK in the middle of battle, no one's going to steal your loot, and you don't have to converse with morons. Awesome.

It looks great, the voice acting is pretty good so far, the tedious random battles are gone...but the story isn't really grabbing me. It feels aimless compared to FFX, and the character's motivations are far less clear. It feels like a more mature game though, for better or worse.

The overdrive/limit break/whatever system takes some getting used to and I hated it at first, but I'm really liking it now. Except for it draining all your MP.

Every character can get a summon. But the one I have so far seems to suck...

The characters don't really seem to have enough variety, because you can equip them all with the same stuff, and so when you get the chance to buy (for example) a really powerful sword it's very tempting to buy one for all of them. And you can level them all in the same way too if you wish.

Magic is a pain in the ass to use. Regular attacks are far simpler, and don't use MP. Conserving MP means more heals and Quickenings and Summons. So I've found I don't do much in the way of offensive spell casting. Which I'm fine with, but it would probably annoy some players.

I'm not fond of how equipment dependent it is. Way different to FFX.

Overall I'm loving it, but for sheer entertainment it's got nothing on FFX. So far. For me.

And no mini-games so far? Wha?

mrconeman
03-17-2007, 05:29 AM
Almost entirely in agreement there with you on XII. It seems I'm a bit ahead of you, so I'll not mention spoilers. Just that I'm around 40 hours into it now.

It's like playing an MMORPG except you control the whole group yourself. Which means your healer won't go AFK in the middle of battle, no one's going to steal your loot, and you don't have to converse with morons. Awesome.
PLUS! no damn experience screen after, every. single. feckin'. fight.
When you had played most of the previous games, this became simply fucking torture. I'm definatly a fan of the new system, but I'd still like future games to return to the old ways, probably because I've played those first, but being as objective as I can, I just think it's better, it makes the fights alot more controlled, and I liked that about the games, I dont want to feel like I'm playing a MMORPG, I wanna play Final Fantasy :( This game seems to lack the overall feeling of a FF game.

It looks great, the voice acting is pretty good so far, the tedious random battles are gone...but the story isn't really grabbing me. It feels aimless compared to FFX, and the character's motivations are far less clear. It feels like a more mature game though, for better or worse.
Absolutely. The voice acting crushes X's voice acting. I couldn't stand any voice in that game, other than Auron and maybe Jecht. Couldn't agree more on the story either. For someone who's been playing FF for 10 years now, I'm severely disappointed with it. I mean seriously, 40 hours in and it is still about restoring Dalmasca. No evil over-lord type character that is so evil it actually makes you dis-like him, just an empire. Where I am, it's only clear why two of your whole party are actually on this journey, any other FF game would clear that up upon meeting them, I mean sheesh.
I mean, this is all coming from someone who was disappointed with X's story, looking back, story wise, X > XII.

Not to say I don't like it so far, it's still a very fun game to play, I do like it. I think it just lost it's Final Fantasy feel somewhere between the old music composer (FFI to FFXI) leaving, and them changing the battle system.
Oh and ripping off Star Wars entire world.

I'm not fond of how equipment dependent it is. Way different to FFX.
Overall I'm loving it, but for sheer entertainment it's got nothing on FFX. So far. For me.
And no mini-games so far? Wha?
YESS. You catch on quick for someone who's only played one previous FF, all these things pissed me right off. You used to be able to miss about 5 levels of equipment in these games before noticing anything was wrong, it really makes you struggle for money. .. though I must be honest, if blitzball is all they were going to come up with for mini-games I'd rather they left them out. The previous' games mini-games were fantastic though.

Basically, if I were to give XII one sweeping, inaccurate statement; I would say Final Fantasy XII is Star Wars in a Final Fantasy setting.

H1T_That
03-17-2007, 05:38 AM
I fplayed 7 when i first got my PS2. Its not my kind of game at all, and i switched it off after 10 minutes.

mrconeman
03-17-2007, 05:40 AM
I fplayed 7 when i first got my PS2. Its not my kind of game at all, and i switched it off after 10 minutes.

You can't accurately judge ANY game after 10 minutes, never mind FFVII for Christ sake.

Paint_It_Black
03-17-2007, 06:15 AM
Almost entirely in agreement there with you on XII. It seems I'm a bit ahead of you, so I'll not mention spoilers. Just that I'm around 40 hours into it now.

I've been playing for 60 hours, yet I have no doubt you're ahead of me. I like to go slowly. All my characters are level 33 now, and Larsa just joined my group at the Garif camp. How does that compare to you?

PLUS! no damn experience screen after, every. single. feckin'. fight.
When you had played most of the previous games, this became simply fucking torture. I'm definatly a fan of the new system, but I'd still like future games to return to the old ways, probably because I've played those first, but being as objective as I can, I just think it's better, it makes the fights alot more controlled, and I liked that about the games, I dont want to feel like I'm playing a MMORPG, I wanna play Final Fantasy :( This game seems to lack the overall feeling of a FF game.

I totally get what you're saying. For now I'm preferring this new system, but I know I'll miss the old system eventually. It is impossible to fully control a battle now, unless you turn off all gambits and then it's mind numbingly slow having to enter every single command. I do already slightly miss the relaxing, sit-back-and-take-your-time FFX battles.

Basically, if I were to give XII one sweeping, inaccurate statement; I would say Final Fantasy XII is Star Wars in a Final Fantasy setting.

Oh! Oh my god, oh! How did I forget to mention that? It's so fucking Star Wars! I was feeling that from the start. Rebels fighting against an empire. Balthier is clearly Han Solo based, yet still totally different at the same time. The damn city in the sky. The guys in that oil drilling place totally look like sand people, and act like them too. I know I'm now forgetting a ton of other stuff. I'm glad I'm not alone on seeing that connection.

Where I am, it's only clear why two of your whole party are actually on this journey, any other FF game would clear that up upon meeting them, I mean sheesh.

Ashe and Basch, right? Balthier's apparent loyalty is a total mystery, as is Fran being with Balthier. Vaan just seems like a thrill-seeking kid who occasionally remembers he has a dead brother, and Penello is along for the ride but she'd rather ride Vaan. Just not very satisfactory. Compare it to FFX where we find out right away that Yuna is a summoner going on a pilgrimage to save the world by defeating Sin, and everyone else is going along to protect her. Beautifully simplistic.

if blitzball is all they were going to come up with for mini-games I'd rather they left them out.

I loved Blitzball in FFX, but felt they completely ruined it in FFX-2.

Blitzball probably doubled the length of the game for me. I kinda wish they'd release a stand-alone Blitzball game.

Edit: The Imperial soldiers look and sound a bit Storm Trooper like too.

mrconeman
03-17-2007, 06:49 AM
I've been playing for 60 hours, yet I have no doubt you're ahead of me. I like to go slowly. All my characters are level 33 now, and Larsa just joined my group at the Garif camp. How does that compare to you?

I've been going mid-paced. Trying to get through it quick enough, so I'm not over-leveled and bosses are still a challenge, but not so much so that I end up under-leveled, easy enough to find the balance.
I'm at 41 hours, Vaan is on level 32, Balthier 31 and Basch 31 also. Everyone else is between 28 and 30. I'm not so far ahead of you, only a few locations. Pretty much just gained my second esper, so you know when you get there.
(although I actually had stopped playing the game for a week when I got to a certain location, God it was grim. You'll rush through at those levels though I imagine.)

I totally get what you're saying. For now I'm preferring this new system, but I know I'll miss the old system eventually. It is impossible to fully control a battle now, unless you turn off all gambits and then it's mind numbingly slow having to enter every single command. I do already slightly miss the relaxing, sit-back-and-take-your-time FFX battles.
Gambits are handy, but what annoys me most is having to change them all the time, every boss battle that is, I usually have my gambits in that everyone attacks enemies on sight, and cures when people have lower than 50% HP, but when a boss is doing 70% of your HP bar away with their strongest attack or whatever its just not effective enough, so you always have to change your cure gambits, and probably change attacks to a spell they're weak against or whatever, I liked them at first, but it is becoming a bit of a chore. Alternatively, just take over the battle entirely manually, but as mentioned it becomes either painfully slow, or too hard to keep up with a boss like that.

Oh! Oh my god, oh! How did I forget to mention that? It's so fucking Star Wars! I was feeling that from the start. Rebels fighting against an empire. Balthier is clearly Han Solo based, yet still totally different at the same time. The damn city in the sky. The guys in that oil drilling place totally look like sand people, and act like them too. I know I'm now forgetting a ton of other stuff. I'm glad I'm not alone on seeing that connection.
I'd say Baltheir is a mix of Han Solo (Sky Pirate and that) with a bit of James Bond for good measure...although thats really only the accent. Fran is to Balthier what Chewbacca is to Han Solo. There is definatly a bunch of Star Wars stuff, I wasn't quite happy about it, the world resembles that of the later star wars movies, even the music is composed in that style, un-fitting I thought. The old composer, Nobuo Uematsu was fantastic, the music in this game frankly sucks, other than the intro scene music, which was composed by Uematsu.

Ashe and Basch, right? Balthier's apparent loyalty is a total mystery, as is Fran being with Balthier. Vaan just seems like a thrill-seeking kid who occasionally remembers he has a dead brother, and Penello is along for the ride but she'd rather ride Vaan. Just not very satisfactory. Compare it to FFX where we find out right away that Yuna is a summoner going on a pilgrimage to save the world by defeating Sin, and everyone else is going along to protect her. Beautifully simplistic.
I was going to say Ashe and Balthier, theres a little scene I just seen yesterday that explains Balthier's motivation somewhat, but yes, now that you mention it, Basch's motivations are pretty clear. Although it still hasn't shown any past between Fran and Baltheir explaining their friendship/loyalty.

On the summoner and guardians thats something I was a little disappointed with also when I first played X, characters were usually introduced much slower throughout the game, and putting them into context was usually a fan-fuckin'-tastic backstory, the way X did it was definatly effective though, it was, as you say, simplistic, and left lots of room for character development in the game, and it was delivered nicely. XII just seems to have thrown them all together really, really fast. Leaving no relevance for separate scenes to put each one in their own context.

Blitzball probably doubled the length of the game for me. I kinda wish they'd release a stand-alone Blitzball game.
Oh me too. (never played X-2 though, I avoided that like plague.) What I meant was, in X that was all there was in the way of mini-games, it was fun but there was no variation. Once you got Brother and Tidus on the same team the game was a breeze. FVII and FVIII had the best mini-games. FVII you could breed chocobos, race them, gamble, play a submarine missile game, drive a motor bike hitting people with your sword, snow board, boxing, and play a little command and conquer esque battle scene a few times. FVIII only had the one game, a card game, but it was amazing and in a constant state of rule change over the game. Those were mini-games.

I hope they haven't done away with them, if there aren't any in XII I hope the trend doesn't continue.

Edit: The Imperial soldiers look and sound a bit Storm Trooper like too.
hah. I was half expecting them to pull laser blasters on me myself.

One final thing on why this game annoys me.
Vaan = Younger, less gay version of Tidus.
Ashe = Younger, less annoying version of Yuna.
Penelo = Younger, more annoying version of Rikku.
They just recycled those characters.

Paint_It_Black
03-17-2007, 08:19 AM
I'm at 41 hours, Vaan is on level 32, Balthier 31 and Basch 31 also. Everyone else is between 28 and 30.

Hmm, so I've played 20 hours more and I only have a few levels to show for it. It's probably because I've done a stupid amount of grinding for money, which is necessary if you want to keep up with the best equipment. Which is kinda dumb, since suddenly drastically better equipment will pop up anyway. I have crazy amounts of LP to show for it though.

I've been trying to stay sufficiently leveled to take all the marks as soon as they become available to me. I've done fairly well so far, I just killed the White Mousse thing in the waterway. Then I encountered a creature down there simply marked as "Boss" and he stomped me. Had the same problem in the Zertinan Caverns too. I'm not entirely sure what these things are.

(although I actually had stopped playing the game for a week when I got to a certain location, God it was grim. You'll rush through at those levels though I imagine.)

Intriguing. What's the name of the location?

Gambits are handy, but what annoys me most is having to change them all the time, every boss battle that is, I usually have my gambits in that everyone attacks enemies on sight, and cures when people have lower than 50% HP, but when a boss is doing 70% of your HP bar away with their strongest attack or whatever its just not effective enough, so you always have to change your cure gambits, and probably change attacks to a spell they're weak against or whatever, I liked them at first, but it is becoming a bit of a chore. Alternatively, just take over the battle entirely manually, but as mentioned it becomes either painfully slow, or too hard to keep up with a boss like that.

It seems to me that boss fights are pretty damn tough in this game (assuming you aren't overly leveled up). My previous FF experience certainly hadn't prepared me. I've already died waaaay more than I ever died in X. So far I've been turning off all gambits except attack and cure when facing a boss. And the cure doesn't help a whole lot because I never have any MP thanks to quickenings. There's been several Marks I only beat by doing constant quickenings, and now I'm rather low on ether. I'm proud to say I just managed to pull off a 9 hit quickening though.

Once you got Brother and Tidus on the same team the game was a breeze.

I only did that the first time I played. After that I kept the original Besaid Aurochs, which makes it far more challenging and fun. Using Brother became ridiculous, just run straight down the middle and score. Steal the ball and do it again. And again.

I have to admit, the mini games in VII sound excellent. I need to play that at some point.

One final thing on why this game annoys me.
Vaan = Younger, less gay version of Tidus.
Ashe = Younger, less annoying version of Yuna.
Penelo = Younger, more annoying version of Rikku.
They just recycled those characters.

I'm so close to agreeing with you.

Vaan = Perhaps fractionally younger and fractionally less gay version of Tidus.
Ashe = Perhaps fractionally younger version of Yuna, less annoying and infinitely more assertive.
Penelo = Older, less annoying Rikku. How can you think Penelo is more annoying? Have you managed to forget...YUNIIIIIIIIIIIIE!!!

mrconeman
03-17-2007, 08:48 AM
Hmm, so I've played 20 hours more and I only have a few levels to show for it. It's probably because I've done a stupid amount of grinding for money, which is necessary if you want to keep up with the best equipment. Which is kinda dumb, since suddenly drastically better equipment will pop up anyway. I have crazy amounts of LP to show for it though.
Yeah, level ups seem pretty few and far between in this game. I think they've made it so the only way you are going to level up at a steady pace is by going to the newest locations you can, once you get to a certain level, the enemies you were leveling on before seem to not even make a dent in your attempts to level. I tried leveling on the westersand recently because its easy to chain those lions, wasn't happening for me. Tons of LP is nice though, I've found two accessories that double the persons LP, so I'm getting tons, and tons of the stuff, the new license system is really, really good I thought.

Then I encountered a creature down there simply marked as "Boss" and he stomped me. Had the same problem in the Zertinan Caverns too. I'm not entirely sure what these things are.
This happened to me in the water way, I've been careful to have Libra on before attacking any enemies I haven't attacked before ever since. If I can't tell their HP and they seem like a boss type I probably wouldn't usually risk it.

Intriguing. What's the name of the location?
The Stillshrine of Miriam. I think you're probably either there, or on your way there.
It actually would have been a pretty simple enough area, but the amount of enemies there borders on ridiculous, and you have to run through each area a bunch of times to unlock what you are trying to get to. and they have it so one of your characters (of your own choice thankfully) gets stuck with 0 MP

It seems to me that boss fights are pretty damn tough in this game (assuming you aren't overly leveled up). My previous FF experience certainly hadn't prepared me. I've already died waaaay more than I ever died in X. So far I've been turning off all gambits except attack and cure when facing a boss. And the cure doesn't help a whole lot because I never have any MP thanks to quickenings. There's been several Marks I only beat by doing constant quickenings, and now I'm rather low on ether. I'm proud to say I just managed to pull off a 9 hit quickening though.
Quickenings draining MP is really quite annoying, I wish they had have made it work some other way, like having full MP gave you that mist charge thing, using it took the mist charge away, but you still had some MP or...something.
This game definatly is the hardest for low level and early game bosses, usually the games will have like maybe 3 hard bosses in the whole thing, and then the last boss will probably be pretty hard, this one has had like 4 hard bosses within about 20 minutes of gameplay. (Raithwalls tomb.).
Saying that though, if you get quickenings right, you can ruin most of the bosses, I chained 11 of them yesterday and killed a boss in one.

I have to admit, the mini games in VII sound excellent. I need to play that at some point.
You really should. I can't even begin to describe how much I love that game, I'm sure you've heard it all before aswell anyway, everyone raves about it, so I won't bother telling you that it's the most awesome game ever, ever, ever.;)
If you can look past square hands and pretty bad graphics in the regular gameplay sequences. I had the pleasure of playing it when it first came out and the graphics were the best around.

How can you think Penelo is more annoying? Have you managed to forget...YUNIIIIIIIIIIIIE!!!
Oh good God you're right. I had managed to forget that, repression for the fucking win. That shit was plain embarrassing when you have friends over and you're trying to get them into Final Fantasy.
Nothing was worse than Yuna & Tidus' "Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha".

Paint_It_Black
03-17-2007, 09:08 AM
Yeah, level ups seem pretty few and far between in this game. I think they've made it so the only way you are going to level up at a steady pace is by going to the newest locations you can, once you get to a certain level, the enemies you were leveling on before seem to not even make a dent in your attempts to level.

MMORPG.

Tons of LP is nice though, I've found two accessories that double the persons LP, so I'm getting tons, and tons of the stuff, the new license system is really, really good I thought.

I just got my first one.

I do like the license system, but I have a problem with it. I found myself doing the exact same thing with all my characters, and it seems to be the best way. I learn all the spells that I have access to. I learn all the good weapons and armour that I have. I put everything else into the ... uh ... forgot what it's called. The enhancement area, like more HP and stuff. I can't see a better way to do it, but it's boring. I'm doing them all the same. I've got all the enhancements already for all the characters, and now I'm just kind of hoarding my LP. I thought the sphere grid was much more fun and unique.

This happened to me in the water way, I've been careful to have Libra on before attacking any enemies I haven't attacked before ever since. If I can't tell their HP and they seem like a boss type I probably wouldn't usually risk it.

I always have Libra on at least one active party member. I set a gambit for it. I keep regen always on too, because the extra strength and magic at full health is nice.

I've actually been actively seeking out the Boss characters. I like to do everything in a region before moving on, though I know at some point I'll have to get over that and just come back later. And it's kinda fun to try and kill the same boss for an hour before finally admitting defeat.

and they have it so one of your characters (of your own choice thankfully) gets stuck with 0 MP

Sounds like I'll be equipping the Dawn Shard then ;D

I chained 11 of them yesterday and killed a boss in one.

Holy crap, I couldn't imagine getting more than 9. Do you have a second Quickening for any character yet? I just got one for Vaan and I'm liking having 2 MP bars. It helps offset the shitty draining system. I haven't actually used it yet though.

Nothing was worse than Yuna & Tidus' "Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha".

For me though the Hymn of the Fayth redeemed everything. I still love listening to that.

mrconeman
03-17-2007, 09:30 AM
I just got my first one.

I do like the license system, but I have a problem with it. I found myself doing the exact same thing with all my characters, and it seems to be the best way. I learn all the spells that I have access to. I learn all the good weapons and armour that I have. I put everything else into the ... uh ... forgot what it's called. The enhancement area, like more HP and stuff. I can't see a better way to do it, but it's boring. I'm doing them all the same. I've got all the enhancements already for all the characters, and now I'm just kind of hoarding my LP. I thought the sphere grid was much more fun and unique.
I've tried to differentiate them all, mostly due to spreading each character to different locations in search of quickenings. I usually get all of those HP and item add on things as soon as I can, and then the amour ones when I see the items in shops, I think it's a pretty good system. It annoys me that you have to pay for, and then learn to use everything though, it was nice when it was one or the other. The game really does make you struggle for gil/LP in that sense. I disliked the sphere grid alot, I hated that when you went back over things you had already learned it wasted the points you just gained to move.

I always have Libra on at least one active party member. I set a gambit for it. I keep regen always on too, because the extra strength and magic at full health is nice.

I hadn't actually thought of that. I'm usually the one to dish out advice like that, I usually spend a good lot of time working out some kind of water tight system, I actually got myself to the point of practical invincibility in FVII.
(I could take damage, but it went away almost instantly, status effects didn't work on me, and killing me was useless, I came back on an auto command lulz)
*steals your idea*

Sounds like I'll be equipping the Dawn Shard then ;D
Exactly.

Holy crap, I couldn't imagine getting more than 9. Do you have a second Quickening for any character yet? I just got one for Vaan and I'm liking having 2 MP bars. It helps offset the shitty draining system. I haven't actually used it yet though.

I have everyone on at least two, with Baltheir on 3, and Vaan is a few fights from getting his third. I went out of my way to learn them though, they really do help. Past about 8 quickenings it really does become luck, there is no fucking way you can think quick enough to shuffle, get a mist charge, use it, and then use the quickening in such a short time window, you just have to hope you see names in white so you can mash the button 'till it works.

For me though the Hymn of the Fayth redeemed everything. I still love listening to that.
To Zanarkand ftw. I think the stand out musical track on that is To Zanarkand, its the little piano theme that plays during the opening credits in the game, and a few other times, it's great. I listen to alot of Piano FF music.

p.s we just pwnd this thread.

Zeall
03-17-2007, 11:05 AM
My highest quickening combo is 24...

I've seen a 40 combo though, black hole ftw!

All About Eve
03-17-2007, 11:13 AM
This implies you aren't using them all. This makes me sad.

My first time through the game I generally brought every character into every fight so they'd all level equally. Auron, Tidus and Yuna were my favourites.

Kimahri is whatever you make him, so if yours is a bag of wank it's really your own fault. I quite like having him follow Auron's path. And his overdrives are good in certain situations.

In contrast, Wakka's overdrives kinda suck. They are the hardest to perform perfectly, and the damn element reels can end up healing your enemy if you fuck it up. Plus he's a ball throwing faggot, though admittedly I was quite fond of him.

FFX was the first FF I played. Well, that's if you don't count the few hours I forced myself to play of FFVII because everyone said it was so great. I just couldn't get into it. I thought FFX was pretty much amazing. Great gameplay, amazing world and story, excellent characters and more emotion than I knew it was possible to fit into a piece of circular plastic. I've played it through several times now, and done everything (I think) on the US edition. I've decided it kind of spoils it when you max out all characters completely and they all become the same, so I'd recommend not playing it quite that obsessively. Oh, and I adored the music. And yes, the game was incredibly easy, and it was my first time playing the genre. I only died a handfull of times, and each time was from those lovely confuse/berserk/poison combinations. Seriously, fuck malboros.

I played X-2 until my original PS2 died, I'd guess I was maybe halfway into it. I was thoroughly disappointed by it.
Are you sure you aren't me? That's me EXACTLY, except for I had status proofs on my items to prevent dying, and I slightly like 8 better because Squall >>>>> Tidus. You're the only person I know who likes Tidus as a character besides me. Granted, he's a whining puss, but played correctly he's easily the best overall in the game.

Agreed again. Which guys did you use?

Edit: Does anyone know where I can get a cheap PS2? My friend has one he might sell me, but knowing him he'll ask almost brand new price.

Edit2: I beat my record for the final boss; 6 turns. 3 on the first form, 3 on the second. Of course, I got more hits than 6 turns worth because of quick hit (<333), but still.

Zeall
03-17-2007, 11:24 AM
Kimahri is whatever you make him, so if yours is a bag of wank it's really your own fault.

That's very true, i don't use the bag of wank because all my characters have max stats, so my choices are made entirely on Overdrives and Celestial Weapons (although i'm currently building different weapons with the same attributes so i don't have the crappy Low HP = Crappy Attack thing that comes with them)

I Choose Tidus because his Overdrive does 9 x 99,999 hits and Wakka because his Attack Reels hit 12 x 99,999

i use Yuna so she can Summon fodder for the instant kill attacks etc.

In contrast, Wakka's overdrives kinda suck. They are the hardest to perform perfectly, and the damn element reels can end up healing your enemy if you fuck it up.

Element Reels are truly awful anyway, use the piss easy Attack Reels and remember, it doesn't matter how long you take in the 20 seconds to get them right, they won't decrease in power the slower you take :)

Zeall
03-17-2007, 11:25 AM
Edit: Does anyone know where I can get a cheap PS2? My friend has one he might sell me, but knowing him he'll ask almost brand new price.

Where do you live? eBay may be a good choice, or a local Game store

All About Eve
03-17-2007, 11:29 AM
Where do you live? eBay may be a good choice, or a local Game store
There's a couple. The game store only has new ones, for $129; are there any known problems for the PS2 lites?

There's a used game store about 30 minutes away that I don't know the prices of. I'm getting one of my friends that lives near it to check the next time he goes.

I don't like eBay.

Element Reels are truly awful anyway, use the piss easy Attack Reels and remember, it doesn't matter how long you take in the 20 seconds to get them right, they won't decrease in power the slower you take :)
Yeah, the only time I used Elemental Reels was when I was fighting the underwater boss after falling off the ship, and I didn't have attack reels then. Otherwise I never used his overdrive and just waited 'til I got Attack Reels.

F@ BANKZ
03-17-2007, 11:39 AM
I've seen a couple of PS2s go for 40/50 ($80/100) at car boot sales, everyone is trying to get rid of theirs now there's the Xbox and the PS3 is almost out over here.

ruroken
03-17-2007, 11:40 AM
I do already slightly miss the relaxing, sit-back-and-take-your-time FFX battles.
I love the battle system in X so much. There are only a four games in which the battle system doesn't bore me ever. X, Tactics, Tactics Advance, and Legend of Dragoon.

I hated it so much at first, but once I really started trying to do it, it became so much fun. They should have a stand-alone Blitzball game. Although it would be hard to recruit people, don't you think?

All About Eve
03-17-2007, 11:43 AM
It's a shame that the Tactics Advance story blows.

Zeall
03-17-2007, 12:14 PM
It's a shame that the Tactics Advance story blows.

did you know that Aeris was in the original FF Tactics?

ruroken
03-17-2007, 12:16 PM
/\ as is Cloud. But he sucks.

That doesn't bother me in the slightest because the game is so much fun to play. But, yeah, they shoulda done something... in some way... related to the Zodiac Brave Story. Not that I think it's possible...

German Andres
03-17-2007, 05:19 PM
Man, the VII rocks! The plot is amazing, as well as the battle system. I mean, the materia system. A lot better than IX, in my opinion.

Grabbal
03-17-2007, 06:21 PM
I need to get that game!

Paint_It_Black
03-17-2007, 10:11 PM
I disliked the sphere grid alot, I hated that when you went back over things you had already learned it wasted the points you just gained to move.

The trick was to almost never backtrack. I loved the complexity and the challenge of doing it just right.

To Zanarkand ftw. I think the stand out musical track on that is To Zanarkand, its the little piano theme that plays during the opening credits in the game, and a few other times, it's great. I listen to alot of Piano FF music.

Congratulations, you just passed the final test. I walk around whistling that all the damn time, when I'm not humming Hymn of the Fayth.

p.s we just pwnd this thread.

Of curse we did. Resistance is futile.

Are you sure you aren't me? That's me EXACTLY, except for I had status proofs on my items to prevent dying, and I slightly like 8 better because Squall >>>>> Tidus. You're the only person I know who likes Tidus as a character besides me. Granted, he's a whining puss, but played correctly he's easily the best overall in the game.

Did I ever say I wasn't you?

Yeah, Tidus is great. He's fast, he's strong, he's accurate, and his overdrives are effective. The only problem is...Like I care!!!!

Agreed again. Which guys did you use?

The first time I used Tidus, Brother, some Ronsos and I don't remember what else. It was too easy, and I felt like Manchester United. All the other times I've used mostly just the home town boys from Besaid.

I hated it so much at first, but once I really started trying to do it, it became so much fun. They should have a stand-alone Blitzball game. Although it would be hard to recruit people, don't you think?

I hated it at first too, until I figured out what I was doing and got a little bit of experience.

Well, it couldn't have recruitment like X did. It would just be like a regular sports game. And it would rule.

All About Eve
03-17-2007, 10:19 PM
You could have franchises, scout teams... damn, that would rule.

H1T_That
03-18-2007, 06:06 AM
You can't accurately judge ANY game after 10 minutes, never mind FFVII for Christ sake.

I dislike the way combat takes place. Selecting attacks then just watching.

All About Eve
03-18-2007, 09:44 AM
That means you basically hate all RPGs AND RTS games.

Paint_It_Black
03-18-2007, 10:38 PM
And in fact any game. Name one where you don't press a button and then watch the action take place. These kind of games are just a little slower.

All About Eve
03-18-2007, 10:49 PM
Dance Dance Revolution/Guitar Hero. I win.

Paint_It_Black
03-18-2007, 10:55 PM
You still press buttons then "just watch". With GH anyway, never played the other.

Has anyone who's played FFXII (so I'm probably just asking coneman) noticed it can get a little...laggy? I find this quite bizarre.

All About Eve
03-18-2007, 10:55 PM
I think we should talk about how awesome Squall is.

0r4ng3
03-18-2007, 10:56 PM
Dance Dance Revolution/Guitar Hero. I win.
Also, certain Wii games? I mean, technically you're not pressing buttons every time.

Paint_It_Black
03-18-2007, 11:03 PM
I think we should talk about how awesome Squall is.

There's a crappy Ogame player in my Uni with that name.

All About Eve
03-18-2007, 11:04 PM
He's probably secretely awesome and just hiding it from you.

Paint_It_Black
03-18-2007, 11:10 PM
No, only I secrete awesome.

Zeall
03-19-2007, 06:36 AM
Has anyone who's played FFXII (so I'm probably just asking coneman) noticed it can get a little...laggy? I find this quite bizarre.

Yes, after a battle has gone on for a while, especially when casting magic because even though the gauge is full ready to cast, it still takes a while to actually get the spell off. This is the only lag i've noticed (PS2 version)

mrconeman
03-19-2007, 12:17 PM
You still press buttons then "just watch". With GH anyway, never played the other.

Yeah, the difference between attack mode and run mode is really starting to annoy me. Theres a pause after taking out your weapon, and also after putting it away, which can get very annoying if you're trying to run from a fight.

The spells thing too that Zeall mentioned

Paint_It_Black
03-19-2007, 09:10 PM
I notice it mostly when there are several flying creatures around, especially elementals. Everyone starts to run slower, and then it suddenly speeds up when I get passed them.

I hate the waiting to draw your weapon/put it away thing.

I've had a 17 hit quickening now, it's so much easier once your characters have several available. All my characters are at 37, I have 3 Espers, I've defeated all Marks that are available...and yet I've only just reached the Viera land in the jungle. I just don't seem to care much about progressing the story right now.

Anyone found Espers to be useful at all?

All About Eve
03-19-2007, 09:32 PM
I'm guessing the Espers aren't the same as they were in FFVI? In FFVI, equipping an esper boosted your stat growth and taught you certain spells as you gained AP.

Zeall
03-20-2007, 07:42 AM
I notice it mostly when there are several flying creatures around, especially elementals. Everyone starts to run slower, and then it suddenly speeds up when I get passed them.

I've had a 17 hit quickening now, it's so much easier once your characters have several available. All my characters are at 37, I have 3 Espers, I've defeated all Marks that are available...and yet I've only just reached the Viera land in the jungle. I just don't seem to care much about progressing the story right now.

I found Belias very useful against the White Mousse Mark because it's weak to fire, and i used him also against the Ring Wyrm mark because it uses mostly fire attacks which heals Belias

also Esper + Haste = Win (sometimes)

I'm guessing the Espers aren't the same as they were in FFVI? In FFVI, equipping an esper boosted your stat growth and taught you certain spells as you gained AP.

No, once you "give" and Esper to one person, it stays on that person forever. You summon them and they fight along side you in battle BUT it replaces the other two party members until the Esper dies or uses it's final attack (after a set period of time)

all i can say is that they some in handy sometimes, but generally it's better to save your MP for Healing and Quickenings (if you're lucky AND good at using them)

mrconeman
03-20-2007, 07:48 AM

You must have gotten some secret/out of the way espers due to your exploration. I've only gotten two myself. I'll go back to them once you gain an airship..which you do in every FF game. I'm still at where I was a few days ago, I haven't played it in awhile

The Viera are a total bunch of lesbians btw (I'm just saying what we all thought). I've found it takes almost two mp bars to make an Esper usefull. You have to bring it out, and then keep hitting it with protect/haste/regen etc etc. It's really not worth what two quickenings would have gotten you.

Zeall
03-20-2007, 07:53 AM
You must have gotten some secret/out of the way espers due to your exploration. I've only gotten two myself. I'll go back to them once you gain an airship..which you do in every FF game. I'm still at where I was a few days ago, I haven't played it in awhile

The Viera are a total bunch of lesbians btw (I'm just saying what we all thought). I've found it takes almost two mp bars to make an Esper usefull. You have to bring it out, and then keep hitting it with protect/haste/regen etc etc. It's really not worth what two quickenings would have gotten you.

is it me or have they made Regen really sucky this time round? i have it set on the gambit "Ally < 90% HP then Regen", it seems to be ok, but i'm considering taking it off

Paint_It_Black
03-20-2007, 09:43 PM
i used him also against the Ring Wyrm mark because it uses mostly fire attacks which heals Belias...all i can say is that they some in handy sometimes, but generally it's better to save your MP for Healing and Quickenings (if you're lucky AND good at using them)

I used him for that one instead of Quickenings. I haven't found them useful at all since.

is it me or have they made Regen really sucky this time round?

It's just you. I have it set to just "Ally" but I have it near the bottom of my gambits. So they always keep it on, but they won't stop fighting in a battle to reapply it. Keeping it always on while running around killing standard monsters is great, especially if your strength etc is boosted at full HP. That and Bubble are the two spells I have set up to be always on.

The Viera are a total bunch of lesbians btw (I'm just saying what we all thought).

Yeah, I was just running around their little lesbo stripper compound and, though I'm not complaining, it was certainly a bit WTF.

And a bit Ewok/Wookie, but that's to be expected by now.

All About Eve
03-20-2007, 09:49 PM
Viera are hawt sects.

Lodat225
03-20-2007, 09:54 PM
So, which Final Fantasy is the best?

Paint_It_Black
03-20-2007, 10:33 PM
Read back. If I remember correctly the consensus seems to be VI.

All About Eve
03-20-2007, 10:35 PM
I have to wonder if some of that is because of the whole "it's on the SNES = it's more original = it's automatically better" train of thought. For me it goes VIII > X > VI

Vera
03-21-2007, 05:09 AM
Stop being wrong, Alex.

VI owns because it's the ultimate FF storyline and the best characters - the sprite thing helps, too but if it was the same thing with better graphics, I'm sure people wouldn't object. IV had better characters, IMO, but the storyline was just FREAKY. My favourite is VII but VI is better.

I also have a special place for IX and X in my heart but I'm not sure if I'll ever even play 12. I just feel so nonchalant about it.

All About Eve
03-21-2007, 05:13 AM
You're right about characters. Locke and Sabin were pretty badass.

Kiroga
04-07-2007, 01:11 PM
My favourite is Final Fantasy VIII.
I preffer VII's storyline but VIII is better in grafics and music. VIII has more mobility freedom but VII has more extras.
It's kind of hard choose only one, so I love two.
I think that Final Fantasy XIX is the worst Final Fantasy ever. I hate it.

Paint_It_Black
04-07-2007, 01:15 PM
I think that Final Fantasy XIX is the worst Final Fantasy ever. I hate it.

Er, what ?

F@ BANKZ
04-07-2007, 01:16 PM
I went on the new one today, i've never been on a final fantasy game. Don't think i ever will again, i just couldn't see the appeal.

p.s. XIX in roman numeral= ???

0r4ng3
04-07-2007, 01:17 PM
Er, what ?
"Final Fantasy Nineteen: So bad, it's nonexistent!"

All About Eve
04-07-2007, 04:16 PM
FFXII is fucking awesome, so far. But can someone explain chains and their significance? I keep getting 'CHAIN-LEVEL!' and not knowing what it means. My highest so far is 29, and I have no idea if that's even good or not.

Paint_It_Black
04-07-2007, 04:56 PM
All chains do is increase the chance of rare loot dropping and increase the chance of multiple drops. So it's nice if you want to make money.

In case you don't understand them at all, you get a chain for killing the same type of creature. You break a chain when you kill a different type.

Kiroga
04-07-2007, 05:00 PM
"Final Fantasy Nineteen: So bad, it's nonexistent!"

Sorry, i'm not good at roman numeral. I wanted to say Final Fantasy IX.:D :D :D

All About Eve
07-04-2007, 11:51 AM
Bumped. A few notes on Final Fantasy XII:

1. This game is fucking awesome, even though I'm not terribly far yet (just finished Golmore Jungle).

2. Fuck hellhounds. They're way too hard for the amount of XP they give. The Coeurls in the same area give more XP, and are much less deadly. Hellhounds don't even give any good items. Tanned hides and Alarm Clocks? Seriously?

3. Is there anyway to cure 'Slow' other than time/remedies?

4. What is the point of 'Pebbles' ? I get them all the time, and they sell for shit.

mrconeman
07-04-2007, 01:11 PM
Definitely not. I very very much fell out of love with FFXII after a little while.

At the start it seemed awesome, and is if the story could progress to be great (something Final Fantasy games have lacked for awhile now). But as the hours went on, it just got more and more dull, and felt entirely like a rewardless chore. I've lent the game to a friend after clocking up 50 some hours, I suppose I'm probably somewhere near the end, but I don't even care to finish.

Every other Final Fantasy game I've played has kept me on the edge of my seat, so to speak. I've thought about it at school, you had to drag me off the console until I'd actually played it through, this game I just don't care about, I felt it totally lacked substance, and the hope that it would get any better totally faded after about 40 hours game play, in comparison, by 40 hours game play in any other FF game you had learned most of the at least good plot, and were sucked in entirely until you had resolved it.

After asking a trust-worthy friend if I should bother to complete it to see the ending, he said his reaction on completing the game was "is that it?".

It's summer now and I have alot of free time, I do want to finish it, but only because I've left it un-resolved, so I suppose my opinion may change again, but at this stage, I heavily doubt it.

All About Eve
08-01-2007, 01:10 AM
I just beat Final Fantasy XII. At the beginning, I thought it had potential. Towards the middle, I was wondering where it was going. But the final parts and ending were amazing. I thouroughly loved it.

Homer
08-01-2007, 03:02 AM
I'm in the same boat as mrconeman. I lost interest at only about 25 hours of game play. maybe it was because I didn't play it day after day, and played it in 3 hour sessions once a week, which caused me to have no idea what was happening with the story. Meh, I'll go and start playing it again when I can find the time, but it seems as though I've got too many games to play, and yet I don't play them...

lawl.

All About Eve
08-01-2007, 03:18 AM
I realized a little over halfway through the game that I had screwed my chances of the Zodiac Spear, so I decided to not even try all the hunts and stuff and just finish the play through this time.

Kiroga
08-01-2007, 03:22 AM
What do you think about Final Fantasy films?

All About Eve
08-01-2007, 01:41 PM
I've never watched any. Next I'm going to beat Final Fantasy 8, and after that Final Fantasy 7, and then I'll check out Advent Children.

They need to make a movie for X or XII.

Also, I'm hoping Revenant Wings (XII's sequel on DS) isn't as bad as X-2 was.

HeadAroundU
08-01-2007, 01:46 PM
Fucking bukkaake chinesse fairy tales.

Grabbal
08-01-2007, 02:43 PM

German Andres
08-01-2007, 04:32 PM
I saw the first FF movie and I didn`t like it. I found it so boring....but I have seen some parts of Advent Children and I`m impressed. Maybe that`s because FF 7 is my favourite game ever.......

FrancoDaHui
08-02-2007, 09:32 AM
i just bought final fantasy VI just yesterday

it's the most awesome game EVER!

mrconeman
08-02-2007, 10:11 AM
What do you think about Final Fantasy films?
The spirits within is an all round failure at everything it tried to do, except looking pretty, which...well it does.

Advent Children gets mixed reviews, but mostly positive, VII was my introduction for the series, and as is the pattern, my own personal favourite, and I think the movie was, on the whole, pretty great.

I don't think they should make any more Final Fantasy movies, as sequels to the games anyway. X already has it's (supposedly diabolical) part two, and the only other one popular enough to warrant it (VIII) while a fantastic game, the more you think about it, the story line just got so fucking weird by the end that it couldn't possibly continue with a decent story.

All About Eve
08-02-2007, 12:06 PM
With VIII, I'd rather see the pre-game stuff in a movie. But even that wouldn't be too interesting.

By the way! My record quickening is 21 now. Even with really high level characters (one over 40, the other two around 37) it only did about 52,000 damage, which is bad considering the boss had over 200,000.

Kiroga
08-04-2007, 04:18 AM
I think Advent Children is te better movie cause it's exactly like the videogame. Every place, every person, it's nice to remember the videogame, but the storyline can be a bit freak...

Vera
10-11-2009, 04:52 AM
YES I'M RESURRECTING AN OLD THREAD. But it's a good 'un.

Gaming FFV on PSX after beating FFIV on DS. Class. :D

PedroACastro
10-11-2009, 10:52 AM
FFX and FFXII ftw!

T-6005
10-12-2009, 12:25 PM
X and IV are easily my favorites. I've tried to get into both VII and VIII but I think I came too late to them - the graphics give me a headache.

Really, really looking forward to XIII though - aside from the inevitable Japanese-isms that plagued X and the awkward voice translation acting.

PedroACastro
10-12-2009, 02:36 PM
i liked the voices in X they weren't bad. and Blitzball was awesome

Vera
10-12-2009, 03:01 PM
X and IV are easily my favorites. I've tried to get into both VII and VIII but I think I came too late to them - the graphics give me a headache.

Your favourite is IV but VIII's graphics gave you a headache?

..what.

mrconeman
10-13-2009, 05:47 AM
Your favourite is IV but VIII's graphics gave you a headache?

..what.

Yeah exactly. FFVIII's graphics are fantastic for their day, probably the best on the playstation one, even better than IX which I always found odd, and the FMV graphics could almost be used today, they look fantastic.

I'm not in any way looking forward to XIII anymore, because I've realised that VI, VII, VIII, and IX, was the last run of great Final Fantasy games, X was ok, and XII was the worst RPG game I've ever played in my entire life. It looks like it's taking pretty much the same direction, so no, no excitement.

Vera
10-13-2009, 07:59 AM
Maybe T meant that he could deal with sprites but not early PS graphics..? Still seems quizzical to me but whatever, IV is one of my top faves so I fully understand it.

I hate how FF games are on every platform now. I know I'm never going to shell out the money to buy a PS3 so future FF's I couldn't give a shit about based on just that.

mrconeman
10-13-2009, 05:12 PM
If it's any consolation they all look like shit anyway.

T-6005
10-13-2009, 07:08 PM
Pretty much what you said - sprites are simple enough to deal with but a lot of the 3D experimentation that went on on the PS1 was just painful to behold, especially when you go back and look at those games now.

I'm still looking forward to the new FF, though - trying not to judge it early. Trying to come to conclusions from the footage that's been released to date seems a little pointless. As long as the battle system isn't crap, that'll be more than good enough for me.

Vera
10-14-2009, 03:41 AM
FFVII is okay, FFVIII is kind of weird with all the super-slim tall characters. FFX is really the height of that, or FFIX if you just want to include PS1.

Paint_It_Black
10-15-2009, 12:39 AM
I'm looking forward to the new one. Especially since I recently bought a PS3.

Though really all I want is for them to essentially remake FFX over and over again. I've accepted it's not going to happen though, so as long as the new one is better than XII I'll be ok.

Vera
10-15-2009, 03:41 AM
What was wrong with FFX? I thought its only real flaw was the fact it was fairly short and didn't have the opportunity to "wander" around the map aimlessly.

Paint_It_Black
10-16-2009, 01:38 AM
Is that directed to me? Nothing is wrong with FFX at all. I want them to keep remaking it because I loved it so much. I want to see true sequels to it. Not like the actual sequel they gave us. I want them to keep the same battle system for one thing. I'd really like to see a prequel to it actually. But I know none of this has any chance of actually happening.

Paradon
10-16-2009, 04:38 AM
FF VIII has the most heart-touching story and truly the best of The FFs even the Characters are the best till date!

PedroACastro
10-16-2009, 10:06 AM
FFX2 was the greatest disapointment ever. i loved FFX everything about it i almost beat all the bosses in the game

mrconeman
10-16-2009, 11:31 AM
Is that directed to me? Nothing is wrong with FFX at all. I want them to keep remaking it because I loved it so much. I want to see true sequels to it. Not like the actual sequel they gave us. I want them to keep the same battle system for one thing. I'd really like to see a prequel to it actually. But I know none of this has any chance of actually happening.

I've always said that a prequel, with Braska, Jecht and Auron as the main characters would be a far superior game than what FFX is.

Vera
10-16-2009, 01:32 PM
I've always said that a prequel, with Braska, Jecht and Auron as the main characters would be a far superior game than what FFX is.

Wordddd. I love some FFX characters like nuts (how cool is Kimahri? or Lulu? hell, even Yuna!) but that backstory was so cool. It's really what made the game amazing for me - the layers of storytelling, almost comparable to the complex backstory of FFVII.

PedroACastro
10-16-2009, 01:35 PM
Wordddd. I love some FFX characters like nuts (how cool is Kimahri? or Lulu? hell, even Yuna!) but that backstory was so cool. It's really what made the game amazing for me - the layers of storytelling, almost comparable to the complex backstory of FFVII.

And they could include some backstory with lulu's first summoners and kimahri's fight with the other 2 ronso, and of course wakka's brother, a prequel would definitly be awesome

T-6005
10-16-2009, 02:08 PM
I found exactly 2 things wrong with FFX, but I found those things very wrong indeed.

First was the mandatory blitzball matches. Ugh, so ANNOYING. And second was the voice acting.

PedroACastro
10-16-2009, 02:14 PM
I found exactly 2 things wrong with FFX, but I found those things very wrong indeed.

First was the mandatory blitzball matches. Ugh, so ANNOYING. And second was the voice acting.

it was just one match although i have to agree that it was almost impossible to win unless you had previous experience in playing it. i honestly love the game so i can't put flaws in it

JanetHammer
11-04-2011, 01:39 AM
I play also the final fantasy VII which is quite cartoon character, the graphic are not so good compare to the games now which is using a high definition graphic comes to be real.

graphics (http://thebrand4u.com/)

mrconeman
11-04-2011, 06:07 AM
Appropriate time for a botbump of this thread. I'm currently replaying Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core on the PSP.

Good fuck, this game is awesome. I'm at the literal very end now though, the ending brings on the emotions :(

wheelchairman
11-05-2011, 12:09 PM
I've recently gone on a Final Fantasy binge, so I thought I'd make a few comments on the games that I've played recently.

If you are one of the lucky ones you own an iphone and can buy Final Fantasy I-III with remastered graphics, I definitely recommend doing this, finest investment vs. time spent I can think of. Especially if you smoke cigarettes, these games work excellently at 5 min. at a time, and also play fine for longer intervals.

Final Fantasy I
On the iphone this game's graphics have been revamped to look like Gameboy Advance graphics (or slightly better than SNES graphics.) I've played the original a couple of times and enjoyed it, so the graphics update was a very nice touch. Story-wise this is the most bare-bones of all the Final Fantasy games, but it works. And actually if you get far enough into it, the story can be engaging enough. It's got the classic formula of going from town to town to upgrade your equipment and make you feel like a total bad-ass. Yes, this starts the long-running theme of elemental crystals being the center-piece to the whole story thing that FF doesn't drop for a very long time.

I recommend this game highly, and I think if you want to start with final fantasy games, start with this one, they only get better. One change that I didn't like in the iphone version is that the magic system is changed to be MP driven as opposed to having different levels of magic and set numbers of uses for each level that gains every time you gain a level. The original was funner but this is simpler I guess.

Final Fantasy II
I've never played the original as I don't speak Japanese nor do I respect white people who do. (Unless you live there.) This game appropriately enough brings world-building and story to a new level. The game starts with an evil empire and you get caught up in the rebellion, so the motivations for your character are more compelling than item searching and crystal-seeking. The graphics on the iphone are again on par with a Gameboy Advance. The leveling up for this game is easily the funnest. You don't gain levels, you simply get better at what you do more often, allowing for interesting combinations of mages, warriors and warrior mages. This definitely allows for some interesting replays. Also it introduces a key-word system that is neat, though tedious.

An excellent sequel. Yeah I'm basically gonna recommend them all so I'll just let that be implicit in the next games' commentaries.

Final Fantasy III
On the iphone, this game was redone with wonderful 3D graphics, I think it was ported from the Nintendo DS or something. Either way, this game feels like it was made for the iphone. The story of this game is the most expansive of them all, taking you to different continents and almost exploring different worlds and ages. By far the largest story of them all. You play as 4 orphans bound together by a quest. The level system is standard however the game allows you to freely switch between character classes that each have their own advantages and disadvantages, making for interesting combinations every time. This game itself is practically the reason you should play the first two, all 3 are well worth it.

Final Fantasy IV (or II if you're playing on a SNES)
I just finished this game, playing it through the Wii Virtual Console, so I played an identical version of the game that was released in the 90s, sloppy translations and all. Which to be perfectly honest, was an adorable nostalgia trip to a time when the world was much less connected and blotches like that were more easily forgiven by gamers. Awkward dialogue aside, this story does truly have depth, as evidenced by the superior power of the SNES over the NES. You play as a Dark Knight who forsakes his king in order to save his conscience. Then you gather allies and go on a quest to preserve right from wrong. It's an excellent example of an early SNES game, and the original still is as fun today as it was back then. Unfortunately almost no way to customize your characters, they are simply their classes, and they gain levels to become more powerful.

Final Fantasy IV: The After Years
I just started this, it's a sequel to FFIV that takes place 20 years after the events of the original game. The graphics are updated and look like they belong on a Gameboy Advance. So far the story is engaging and makes for an excellent sequel.

Final Fantasy VI (or III on the SNES)
Another I just started playing, with a friend. I won't say much, but this story is by far the most gripping, the SNES graphics do a wonderful job of creating atmosphere, the music is great too. This game really is a masterpiece and I truly look forward to playing much more of it.

Final Fantasy VIII
I haven't played this game in nearly 10 years, that's because I think it's shit and doesn't hold a feather to other final fantasy games of the time or earlier.

Final Fantasy IX
This game is definitely one of my favorites. The story is engaging, it looks good, the abillity system adds an extra incentive to level up and a whole new degree of strategizing. (Though I almost always inevitably give everyone auto-regen, and auto-reflect.) This is probably the Final Fantasy game I've spent the most time playing a single-game on, and it really is one of my favorites, a mixture of Playstation graphics with 90's sprite nostalgia, creating one of the most memorable games in my opinion.

Now I would love to someday play FFV, also the enhanced remake of FFIV.

I've only ever spent a little time playing FFVII, but I would love to give it a chance. I guess I'd also give FFVIII another try, even if it is the shittiest, lamest one.

Oh and PIB/Coneman have been enough to convince me that I should try and get my hands on FFX. I'm just not sure if I'd want to continue from there. I've heard later installments of FF get rid of the get-to-next-village-and-go-shopping aspect of the game, and let's face it. The fun of Final Fantasy is the thrill of shopping.

Also not interested in their weird MMORPGS. In fact, I wish they'd make more games in the old style that I love in treasure so much. I guess there is some consolation in that the old classics are being revamped so often there'll always be a version to play.

Omni
11-05-2011, 01:29 PM
I can't believe you've spent so little time on #7. That and Chrono Trigger are easily Square's best games. Final Fantasy VIII is the worst of the "good" Final Fantasies, but I thought 10 and 13 were pretty horrible. I haven't played 14 yet, but it's been the only one so far to get bad reviews from magazines and such. I also haven't played 12 and I don't really count 11.

Finding copies of FFVII is pretty hard these days, you might have to try it on emulator or something, but I could (and have) log hundreds of hours on that game.

wheelchairman
11-05-2011, 01:35 PM
I don't know, the used games market in europe is probably different than in the states, otherwise at some point in the future I'll get a ps3 and download it. (i think that's possible). The whole environmental terrorist plot just seemed cheasy to me, still does. But a cheasy intro is no way to judge an ff game.

mrconeman
11-05-2011, 01:40 PM
^ Truth. (@ Omni)

edit: Yeah, Final Fantasy VII is available for the PSN, a few others are too. (@ WCM)

Well, VII and Chrono Trigger are definitely Squaresoft's (not enix) best games. I actually enjoy VIII though, a lot. There are certainly somewhat *more* ridiculous ideas in the plot than usual, but Final Fantasy was never rational. I love the battle system in that game though, the draw system adds a whole other tactical element to the game, and it began the trend of "limit breaks" being a controllable tactical thing, rather than just pushing the button and watching it happen, I thought that was a nice element. Not to mention that the graphics hold up pretty decently even today. I think so anyway.

Definitely check out VII though, it's easily the best Final Fantasy...that is of course though heavily disputed, some people are as extreme as to call it the worst. Without sounding cheesy, it's one of about 10 games that I've ever played (of surely thousands at this point) that I would describe as an experience, rather than just gaming. Lots of personal and nostalgia bias to be noted here though, I must admit.

I haven't actually played FFX since I first got it...which is like...nearly...ten years ago...What the fucking fuck???

edit: actually that was a lie, I definitely replayed it at least once after, but it was in fairly close succession to the first time I played it.

Anyway, the point being, my opinion might not be entirely accurate of how I would feel if I replayed the game, which I plan to do at some point.

T-6005
11-05-2011, 01:42 PM
I, IV and VI are my favorites of the ones you've listed. Personally I didn't care for VII at all but I would definitely second the Chrono Trigger vote.

And X of course is great, some questionable voice acting aside.

mrconeman
11-05-2011, 01:46 PM
And X of course is great, some questionable voice acting aside.

Oh God. I must apologise to Per for not mentioning that before. Seriously, prepare for some dire voice acting from all but about 3 characters.

Omni
11-05-2011, 02:01 PM
I don't know, the used games market in europe is probably different than in the states, otherwise at some point in the future I'll get a ps3 and download it. (i think that's possible). The whole environmental terrorist plot just seemed cheasy to me, still does. But a cheasy intro is no way to judge an ff game.

I guess, now that you mention it, the terrorist-driven story hasn't aged very well given how sick we all are of hearing about terrorism. You definitely shouldn't judge based on the intro, since it has the most compelling story of any game I've ever played. The goal of the game switches drastically at the end of disc one, and the emphasis on the evil organization you're fighting takes a backseat to finding and stopping Sephiroth. I feel fairly confident most people know about Sephiroth by now, so I don't think a spoiler warning is necessary.

Well, VII and Chrono Trigger are definitely Squaresoft's (not enix) best games. I actually enjoy VIII though, a lot. There are certainly somewhat *more* ridiculous ideas in the plot than usual, but Final Fantasy was never rational. I love the battle system in that game though, the draw system adds a whole other tactical element to the game, and it began the trend of "limit breaks" being a controllable tactical thing, rather than just pushing the button and watching it happen, I thought that was a nice element. Not to mention that the graphics hold up pretty decently even today. I think so anyway.

I also liked VIII. However, of all the FF's I like, VIII is at the bottom. The battle and leveling systems were fantastic, I thought. The draw system and Guardian Forces worked in sync very well together, being able to junction magic to your stats and learn new abilities. The story gets a bit ridiculous around disc three, when the monsters start falling off of the moon, but VIII is a solid game if you get into it.

randman21
11-05-2011, 06:43 PM
I'm sure I said this somewhere earlier in the thread, but FF VIII is my favorite game, Final Fantasy or otherwise. I think a lot of these things come down to where you're at personally when you play them, but I like the way coneman described VII as an experience. That game was a colossal deal for me, and the soundtrack is the single most influential thing (musically) I've ever come across. Unfortunately, the only other ones I've played are VII, briefly, and X.

Semi-related, there's a podcast called "The Legacy Music Hour," where they celebrate games from the 8-/16-bit game era. Last night I listened to the episode dedicated to Nubuo Uematsu (http://www.archive.org/download/LegacyMusicHour-Episode25NobuoUematsu/LegacyMusicHour25NobuoUematsu.mp3). I think, with the very premise of the podcast, they were doomed to miss out on two essential soundtracks from the beginning (FF VII and FF VIII), but there's still a lot of good stuff in there.

ThunderPX
11-05-2011, 08:53 PM
If you are one of the lucky ones you own an iphone and can buy Final Fantasy I-III with remastered graphics, I definitely recommend doing this, finest investment vs. time spent I can think of. (...)
On the iphone this game's graphics have been revamped to look like Gameboy Advance graphics (or slightly better than SNES graphics.) I've played the original a couple of times and enjoyed it, so the graphics update was a very nice touch.

fyi: iPhone versions of I and II are based on the PSP versions which have redrawn high-res graphics based on the PSX versions.

Also, iPhones are dumb.

PAC90
11-06-2011, 03:08 PM
FFX is my favourite final fantasy game, I still replay it sometimes in the summer to see if i can beat those impossible bosses that the game has.

I also enjoyed FFXII even if it was just for Balthier's voice acting (one of the best)