PDA

View Full Version : Obama Announces Candidacy for '08

opivy21
02-10-2007, 08:58 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/02/10/obama.president/index.html

What does everyone think? A lot of people really like him. I personally don't know too much about his policies, but he's definitely caught my attention.

Jakebert
02-10-2007, 01:18 PM
He's not that bad, but he certainly isn't nearly as good as the hype makes him out to be. I know this is cliched, but if he wasn't black, he wouldn't be getting all of the attention that he's getting, because nothing he's saying is really all that different from what the other Democratic candidates are saying.

Jojan
02-10-2007, 01:26 PM
Good. White woman vs black man?
Here you have him: http://www.barackobama.com/issues/

I agree with Jakebert.

XYlophonetreeZ
02-10-2007, 02:38 PM
I would consider voting for him in 2016. He hasn't done enough to convince me that he's ready yet. I'm pretty goddamn sick of the younger generation's blind support of him.

As for the "black" thing, it's even funnier that he's getting all the attention for that when you take into account that he was born into a wealthy family in Hawaii and had only one black parent, who was from Kenya, therefore sharing none of the slave ancestry that unites most of the black people who will be voting for him, and his parents divorced when Barack was two and his white mother married an Indonesian guy. Bill Clinton was far blacker than Barack Obama, as Toni Morrison would agree.

nieh
02-10-2007, 02:51 PM
He seems interesting. I need to learn more about him before I can say for sure about voting for/against him but he looks promising from the little I know of him.
Not related to his opinions or anything but I like the fact that he's openly admitted to doing marijuana and cocaine in the past. I've always thought it was ridiculous for politicians to pull things like that out during campaigns like it's some sort of big deal that the person tried it a few times 20-30 years earlier.

HornyPope
02-10-2007, 03:53 PM
Dems should be careful to call him senator Obama, or else it reads as Osama. Damn 9/11 era media.

Venom Symbiote
02-10-2007, 05:02 PM
He seems pretty cool, agreed.

It's just the typical college-age hippy appreciation for him that gives me doubts. If it weren't for the type of fucks who support him I might feel a little better about you guys voting him in.

Meh, I still say Giuliani's the guy for '08. He won't get it, but meh.

wheelchairman
02-10-2007, 05:20 PM
You're 21, quit acting like a 15 year old.

Venom Symbiote
02-10-2007, 05:31 PM
Mind...explaining...how my concerns over Obama are stemming from the mentality of "a 15 year old"? :confused:

Sin Studly
02-10-2007, 10:49 PM
Mind...explaining...how my concerns over Obama are stemming from the mentality of "a 15 year old"? :confused:

It's the 'my' part.

H1T_That
02-11-2007, 07:50 AM
I originally read this to be OSAMA, instead of OBAMA. Had me confused for a second.

wheelchairman
02-11-2007, 08:06 AM

Because you have strong opinions on every insignificant thing. So now all you're opinions are cute in that awkward teenager way. I'm looking forward to your pseudo-hardcore attempt at a reply. :)

Jakebert
02-11-2007, 08:42 AM
[/Venom]Fuck you, cockfish! You're just a stupid fucking hippy who should go chug bleach and light yourself on fire! I'm gonna go read comic books! Fuck you![Venom]

XYlophonetreeZ
02-11-2007, 10:06 AM
I originally read this to be OSAMA, instead of OBAMA. Had me confused for a second.
His middle name is "Hussein." Clearly he is the right man for America.

H1T_That
02-11-2007, 11:46 AM
[/Venom]Fuck you, cockfish! You're just a stupid fucking hippy who should go chug bleach and light yourself on fire! I'm gonna go read comic books!Fuck you![Venom]

You forgot to mention the over use of the phrase "elephant balls"

Speakeasy
02-11-2007, 07:51 PM
Everything he says is just feel-good crap. He won't take a side on any highly disputed issues and his answers like "strengthen homeland security" don't provide any specifics on what he actually plans to do to accomplish these goals.

He came to speak at my school in Cedar Rapids Iowa right after his candidacy was announced and it was the same crap about how lefts and rights should all get along. We all live in the UNITED States of America? NO SHIT! People think different things are best for America and that's why we have division in the first place. He can't just magically wave his hands and get everyone to agree on abortion, and we're not meant to. His non-divided government would just blow money out the ass because every piece of legislation would pass easily, and any minority to the new one-sided regime would be completely fucked.

Mota Boy
02-12-2007, 10:47 AM
Hah, John Howard hates Barak Obama.

If I was running al-Qaeda in Iraq, I would put a circle around March 2008 and pray, as many times as possible, for a victory not only for Obama, but also for the Democrats.Of course, Howard not only makes himself look like an ass, but an idiot, as we hold elections in November, not March. And it's not like our elections are secret little events the rest of the world never hears about.

I love love love Obama's reply.

I think its flattering that one of George Bushs allies on the other side of the world started attacking me the day after I announced my candidacy. I would also note that we have close to 140,000 troops in Iraq and my understanding is Mr. Howard has deployed 1,400. So if he is to fight the good fight in Iraq, I would suggest that he calls up another 20,000 Australians and send them to Iraq, otherwise its just a bunch of empty rhetoric.

Sit yo' bitchass down, Howard. Only the US gets to mess with the politics of other countries.

Vera
02-12-2007, 12:03 PM
His middle name is "Hussein." Clearly he is the right man for America.

You gotta fight fire with fire!

Lithuanian Offspring
02-13-2007, 04:48 AM
How has Iraq Hussein Osama caught your attention if you don't even know anything about his policies?

To Opivy.

Little_Miss_1565
02-13-2007, 06:11 AM
Oh, snap. Deliberate rhyming distortion of his name, that totally means he's an A-rab terrorist.

RickyCrack, all politicians cut their early messages to be so stupid and oversimplified. Look at half the posts in this thread--they have to do that. When the Republican agenda relies on "accidentally" writing his name as "Osama" and claiming that the terrorists want him to win, which is the same thing they said against John Kerry (and there were so many other reasons to not like John Kerry), you have to speak to the lowest common denominator. It's what his opponents are doing, he can't go above their heads.

As for the "black" thing, it's even funnier that he's getting all the attention for that when you take into account that he was born into a wealthy family in Hawaii and had only one black parent, who was from Kenya, therefore sharing none of the slave ancestry that unites most of the black people who will be voting for him, and his parents divorced when Barack was two and his white mother married an Indonesian guy. Bill Clinton was far blacker than Barack Obama, as Toni Morrison would agree.

And George Bush grew up with a silver spoon up his ass in Connecticut. The Texas bumpkin country boy is all an act. Most of the country deliberately forgot this. Barack Obama has still grown up black in this country, which no matter how much money you have, is a much different situation than growing up white, and it doesn't matter that he doesn't share slave ancestry.

Mota Boy
02-13-2007, 08:30 AM
I'm still hoping Evan Bayh or Mark Warner find steady ground and get a good campaign going. Running a campaign on hope makes a great movie, but life doesn't fit under the "feel-good" genre.

Lithuanian Offspring
02-13-2007, 09:21 AM
Oh, snap. Deliberate rhyming distortion of his name, that totally means he's an A-rab terrorist.

I hope that was not directed at me. Because I was trying to convey the same point, subtly.

Little_Miss_1565
02-13-2007, 09:53 AM
Nope, not at you.

opivy21
02-13-2007, 08:05 PM
How has Iraq Hussein Osama caught your attention if you don't even know anything about his policies?

To Opivy.
I do know things about his policies, but as of right now, I don't know enough about him to confidently say that I think he's the best choice.

TBD
02-15-2007, 05:43 AM
I'm still hoping Evan Bayh or Mark Warner find steady ground and get a good campaign going. Running a campaign on hope makes a great movie, but life doesn't fit under the "feel-good" genre.

Evan Bayh dropped out a while ago.

Little_Miss_1565
02-15-2007, 05:46 AM
Evan Bayh dropped out a while ago.

Yeah, his kids are still growing up and he doesn't want them to do that while he's on a campaign trail.

TBD
02-15-2007, 06:18 AM
Plus he understands the importance of name recognition and knew the uphill battle he'd have to face vs Obama/Clinton/Edwards.