PDA

View Full Version : Anatomy for Beginners

Tijs
02-10-2007, 12:02 PM
'Anatomy for Beginners' is a program about, well, anatomy. 8 25minute-episodes of dissecting the human body, to show you what's inside it and how it works. They explain 4 different things about the body; movement, circulation, digestion and reproduction. You'll see everything, nothing is hidden from the camera.

The show is recorded in Germany and the bodies are dissected by the German Doctor Gunther von Hagens (he always wears a hat, even during dissection), information will been given mainly by Professor John Lee, who's English. The show is in English too, so it's easy to follow.

I thought it'd be gross at first, but it's really not all that bad. And I was wondering if they show this in other countries as well, since Dutch television shows a lot more than other country's television. And would you watch if, or have you watched it?

Gunther von Hagens was already pretty well know for his exhibition of human bodies he plasticized. I've seen a documentary of his body exhibition a while ago on Discovery Channel, which was very interesting, too.

Note that the bodie below once was an actual human bodie:
http://www.beachbrowser.com/Archives/eVoid/April-2001/1.jpg

mrconeman
02-10-2007, 12:04 PM
It was shown here, and I watched it.
I liked watching it, but I won't lie, there was a few times I'd turned away out of feelings of "ughh" somethings inside us, really should remain there.

I loved how he spoke, he brought lolz with how he pronounced things, especially bigger words.

Grabbal
02-10-2007, 12:26 PM
I'll download it if I find it..
Might be interesting..

Tijs
02-10-2007, 12:30 PM
I think YouTube has the episodes too. I downloaded them all of a streaming site, but you have to be registered to stream videos.

Tijs
02-10-2007, 12:55 PM
www.tien.tv, I'll PM you my username and password if you'd wish. Now I'm off to see episode #2.

the_GoDdEsS
02-10-2007, 01:02 PM
No, never heard of it. Blame it on the fact that I still haven't got my satellite TV with German channels back since I moved and have ignored TV for the most part. Otherwise I'm positive I'd know it. Science and documentaries are quite interesting, except nowadays they seem rare.

Tijs
02-10-2007, 02:00 PM
Yeah, I know. That's why I offered you to use my login details, so I could give you the direct links and you'd only have to enter my username and password. The program's in English, without subtitles.

Tijs
02-10-2007, 02:07 PM
I agree it's a bit gross, but once you accept it from a scientific point of view only, it's really easy and interesting to watch. Just watch one show from the start.

JoY
02-10-2007, 02:41 PM
I think it's absolutely ridiculous they're showing this on television. dissection of human bodies shouldn't be some form of entertainment/amusement. everyone out there can watch that shizzle, when we're talking about the dissection of a human body. how much more do we want to degrade ourselves? what about respect, privacy & purely & ONLY dissecting human bodies for educational reasons only. what the hell? I understand anatomy is interesting for a whole lot more people than just the ones who study medicine, but med students are the only ones who NEED that knowledge for a good cause & anyone else who sees that shit just won't use it (hopefully). so don't fucking show it to them. it's beyond the goal that dissection has & it's purely for the thrill of the greater public, that has no idea what they're watching & how much respect that deserves.

Tijs
02-10-2007, 03:05 PM
Why should it be meant only for the ones who study it? If I want to know how my own body works, then a show like this is perfect for that. It's explained in a simple way that everyone can understand. I find myself sitting in front of my TV moving my arm and feeling it as they explain how it works and what parts moves when you move your fingers, for example.
The bodies used for the show, didn't donate themselves for 'medical research' in general, but for the use of Dr. von Hagens. They knew they were possibly going to be exposed and be shown to the public. What's wrong with that?
And don't you ever read something, more than just a few lines, to learn something which you don't really need to know, and doesn't serve you any use in the future? How is this different?
You've learned all the theory in biology class in school (I assume, that's basic stuff isn't it?), this shows you how it actually looks like, and gives you a more detailed picture of the body.

HeadAroundU
02-11-2007, 04:15 AM
Nah, it can't be that bad, we have seen Mr. Hands and Jojan cutting his cock and balls. And we will finally know where's the clitoris.

leo3375
02-11-2007, 01:30 PM
I saw von Hagen's "BodyWorlds" exhibit last year when it was in Minnesota. It was absolutely fascinating! It was worth seeing because it really put everything into perspective and encouraged me to maintain a healthy lifestyle.

Tijs
02-11-2007, 02:01 PM
It's currently showing in Amsterdam, I'd go but I'd have to find someone to go with me. I'm not sure until when it's there, too.

Question though; did it smell.. or anything? I've been wondering that.

leo3375
02-11-2007, 08:57 PM
It's currently showing in Amsterdam, I'd go but I'd have to find someone to go with me. I'm not sure until when it's there, too.

Question though; did it smell.. or anything? I've been wondering that.

There was a noticeable scent, but it didn't nauseate me. It smelled like a freshly opened Barbie doll to me. The interesting part is that the rest of the museum was very noisy but as soon as we went into the BodyWorlds exhibit it was dead silence (no pun intended), with the exception of a few whispers here and there.