PDA

View Full Version : Folk.

Jakebert
02-10-2007, 06:44 PM
Even though I think I already know the answer, does anyone else here like folk? Personally, I love it.

My favorite of the more traditional folk singers is defenitely Phil Ochs, but I also like the more pop-folk artists like Bob Dylan and the Byrds. Neofolk is pretty cool when done right, but when it's not it's pretty annoying.

Your thoughts?

mrconeman
02-10-2007, 06:49 PM
Well, I think everyone likes a Bob Dylan to some extent or another, so I won't really mention that I like him, alot. I'm really not the biggest follower of folk music, but Irish folk music always goes down a treat.

Jakebert
02-10-2007, 07:00 PM
I haven't heard enough Irish folk to have formed an opinion on it. I basically only know old American folk, modern indie folk, and neofolk. I wouldn't mind hearing some Irish stuff though. Any suggestions?

mrconeman
02-10-2007, 07:15 PM
Well, for the real back in the day stuff, I'd usually only hear it at family parties, or when theres a traditional Irish group playing in a bar or whatever, I can't think of much off-hand, I'd sing along if you played it to me though, heh.

For more up to date traditional and folk stuff I'd suggest the Wolfetones, which is really Irish rebel music, but the sound is more or less the same.
The Pogues are also heavily great, they're more of a fusion of folk/traditional with a bit of a punk edge, but they are fantastic.

Songs to try out...
The Wolfetones - Celtic Symphony, A Nation Once Again, Grace.

The Pogues - Dirty Old Town, The Sick Bed of Cúchulaínn, Sally Maclennane.

I'll recall some proper traditional stuff and mention soon.
Another guy I should mention, he gets compared to Bob Dylan alot, Willy Mason.
Check out his song Oxygen

opivy21
02-10-2007, 07:38 PM
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=4153957

I like these guys. It might be kind of an acquired taste.

Rag Doll
02-10-2007, 08:47 PM
i suck at all this genre stuff SO much. what would you label as "modern indie folk," as you put it?

DeAtHsTaR
02-10-2007, 09:18 PM
The Mountain Goats
Does Neal Young's early acoustic stuff count?

Jakebert
02-11-2007, 08:36 AM
i suck at all this genre stuff SO much. what would you label as "modern indie folk," as you put it?

Mountain Goats
Sufjan Stevens
Elliot Smith (although he's not modern, he fits in with it well)
Animal Collective

Plus, most indie bands have a lot of really good folk stuff in there with the more rock stuff.

Rag Doll
02-11-2007, 08:20 PM
i have some bands for you, then....because it seems as though a fair amount of stuff i listen to could fit into that category.

camera obscura
the magic numbers
iron & wine
the elected

not sure if you already listen to them or were even looking for bands. but, yeah.

Little_Miss_1565
02-11-2007, 08:54 PM
Someone I know described modern indie folk as "weirdo beard core." Lulz.

I love folk, though I need to be in a certain mood to sit down and listen to it. Joni Mitchell is amazing, I was raised listening to James Taylor, but The Mountain Goats get me right here (points to chest).

nieh
02-11-2007, 09:01 PM
Silver Jews = modern indie folk/country

JohnnyNemesis
02-11-2007, 10:04 PM
I was about to type "God, I fucking hate modern indie folk so goddamn much", but I think it'd be more accurate if I just said "God, I fucking hate white people".

But Kimya Dawson? Yeah, some may consider her a stretch as far as this categorization goes, but I worship her.

Jakebert
02-12-2007, 04:50 AM
i have some bands for you, then....because it seems as though a fair amount of stuff i listen to could fit into that category.

camera obscura
the magic numbers
iron & wine
the elected

not sure if you already listen to them or were even looking for bands. but, yeah.

I've been meaning to check out Camera Obscura for a while now, I just keep forgetting. Thanks for reminding me.

Someone I know described modern indie folk as "weirdo beard core." Lulz.

I love folk, though I need to be in a certain mood to sit down and listen to it. Joni Mitchell is amazing, I was raised listening to James Taylor, but The Mountain Goats get me right here (points to chest).

I love James Taylor's voice, but I could never really get into his actual music for some reason.

The Mountain Goats are what really got me into folk.

the_GoDdEsS
02-12-2007, 04:51 AM
I like some Slovak and Russian folk. And Irish music is great.

Rag Doll
02-12-2007, 08:31 PM
I've been meaning to check out Camera Obscura for a while now, I just keep forgetting. Thanks for reminding me.

if you want mp3s of single songs or cds, lemme know.

nieh
02-14-2007, 04:23 PM
I was about to type "God, I fucking hate modern indie folk so goddamn much", but I think it'd be more accurate if I just said "God, I fucking hate white people".

I can't wait until Danger Mouse does the production for a Modest Mouse album just to alienate you. I wonder what they would name the mash-up.

Llamas
02-26-2007, 06:12 AM
I love folk, and haven't heard of a lot of what's mentioned here... and want to hear it... but am very sad because of my transfer limit on internet. :( Someone wanna make burn me CDs and mail them to me?? Yes?!