PDA

View Full Version : Hey Mota Boy!

HornyPope
02-12-2007, 10:56 AM
A feminisit-lesbian, a negro-lover and a terrorist conspired that I have five midterms this week starting tomorow, and naturally I haven't began studying. I seek your help for my Chinese history course if you know this specific material. I'm willing to pay.
I'm still sorting out scheduling conflict because my HIST exam coincides with another exam so pending that clafirification I might be even forced to drop the history class all together.

The questions are:
1. Compare and contrast confucianism, daoism and buddhism with specific references to the writings of individual philosophers and/or sects.
2. Discuss the impact of confucianism on traditional China, with particular attention on its political, social, economic, diplomatic and cultural impacts.

What do you think? Do you have the time and do you know the material? It's about 600 words each. i'll pay 200cad. RSVP.

wheelchairman
02-12-2007, 11:08 AM
Hahahahaha. <3

Sinister
02-12-2007, 11:09 AM
Good luck.

Mota Boy
02-12-2007, 12:39 PM
The questions are:
1. Compare and contrast confucianism, daoism and buddhism with specific references to the writings of individual philosophers and/or sects.
2. Discuss the impact of confucianism on traditional China, with particular attention on its political, social, economic, diplomatic and cultural impacts.

What do you think?I think that a) those questions sound pretty damn easy and b) I can't be that much help. Unfortunately, the last class I had on ancient China was in high school. I've had college classes on Sun Tzu and other martial writers and on modern China only. I only know bits and pieces of what's in between. Ironically, I got the Tao Te Ching for Christmas, but I'm still working through my reading list and it's a few books away.

Six hundred pages is, what, three pages double-spaced? For the first question, you can construct a thesis fosusing on (and remember, I'm reaching back to high school here) the different origins and aims of each philosophy, as each is fundamentally different from the other (which is how all three can coexist and continue to influence Chinese thought). You can easily fill a page of fluff on the cosmetic differences between the three, but the heart of your essay should be Buddhism as a religion which seeks to answer the big "why" questions of the world and comfort people with an afterlife, Confucianism as a philosophy designed to bring about social harmony through an ingrained, hierarchical system of respect and obedience that defines relationships between different individuals in society and Daoism as more of a personal philosophy to guide an individual which, what with it's predilection for pliability, fits nicely with Confucianism's strict social hierarchy.

Seriously though, I could be way off. And I don't remember enough about Confucianism to give you a thesis for it. Was it responsible for the Chinese emphasis on merit-based government appointments determined via examinations?

I might've taken you up on your offer (those questions seriously don't look that bad) if I hadn't've just gotten a job.

HornyPope
02-12-2007, 01:46 PM
It doesn't quite help me because I still need to read five fucking modules of that crap and virtually no time to squeeze it in, and that's assuming I sort out the scheduling. Fuck, i've been out of school for five years, i'm not ready for this marathon.

Mota Boy
02-12-2007, 02:01 PM
Dude, just wikipedia and Google that shit, scanning one or two books for deeper background on specifics - I've written term papers that way. Six hundred words on subjects so broad you could write a book about them isn't bad at all, especially when there's crossover.

But yeah, I'm awful with time management, so I can't give you much advice beyond that if you have a lot of shit to learn, reading books is one of the least efficient ways to do it. Make sure they're necessary for the class. If you look at www.ratemyprofessor.com, oftentimes reviewers will pass on how to study for a specific prof's exams. Good luck.

HornyPope
02-12-2007, 02:25 PM
Good idea. The site is particulary helpful, can't believe I forgot about it (heard about it few years ago).

High five!

Man, i'm just starting to learn how to study. Izie was supposed to help me, but her technique consists of doing as much work as possible on the subject during the semester and then revising the material just before the exam. Pfff, too much work.

All About Eve
02-12-2007, 04:58 PM
You should also mention how different Chinese dynasties used Confucianism and later Neo-Confucianism as a fundamental basis to bring the people under one government. You could even go as far to mention that the Qin dynasty hated Confucianis (Shihuangdi or whatever his name was burnt all the books, even).

And make sure to point out that they're all very secular, with the focuses on how to live and govern your life more than anything. For Confucianism you could mention Ren, Li, and Xiao, three of the main values, although I can't remember which is which. Dao means "The way", which you could use to lead into the goal of it of how to lead your life. And for Buddhism, make sure to mention the ultimate message of it, as it is the most different of the three. Basically, it says that desire/need is the root of evil, the goal of your life should be to get rid of desire/need, and you can do that by following their beliefs. Once you could do that, you could exit the cycle of life and move on or something.

wheelchairman
02-12-2007, 05:09 PM
This is part of a sociological course right? You might want to look into Max Weber, I do believe he wrote something about Chinese bureaucratic tradition and confucionist thought. And that seems like it would be rather helpful for quesiton 2. I just wikied it, the book is called "The Religion of China: Confucianism and Taoisim." Seems like it would be perfect. Good luck finding it, I imagine it'd probably be at any library, but definitely at your uni's. Too bad you can't present it, I imagine you'd be one of the few to pronounce his name right.

Izie
02-14-2007, 10:31 PM
Well i've done a little reading and followed the professor's lectures online and I think I have the answers now. Per and AAE aren't in the slightest helpful or even on the correct path, but that's not critcism against you.

The first question is self explanatory, and the second question is basically explaining the way of life of traditional China and how it links (because it does) to Confucionist teaching. I.e. the order, the hierarchy, the making of social class, that education trumps money and women know their place etc...

/passing out

-HP