PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever wondered...

All About Eve
02-12-2007, 06:49 PM
...what Evanessence would sound like if they were good? Well, now you can find out. http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=70150191&MyToken=b6afc177-a449-4104-98a9-cc7db9bdbf21

My favorites are Stand Your Ground and What Have You Done. I just found out about them, but I'm really liking them.

0r4ng3
02-12-2007, 06:53 PM
Oh wow, this is actually pretty good. I was a bit skeptic before clicking the link, but now I'm also liking them.

All About Eve
02-12-2007, 07:05 PM
Not to mention the girl is hot.

Venom Symbiote
02-13-2007, 12:13 AM
Oh, please. Evanescence are good. I've liked Within Temptation for a long time too, but they're nothing spectacular. A lot of Dutch/Swedish/Finnish bands have the same thing going on.

I like WT a lot, don't get me wrong, but the Evanescence bashing is bullshit. They're not half as bad as everyone seems to preach.

Amy has a much better voice than Sharon from WT or Tarja from Nightwish, easily. Some of the more operatic goth-rock bands from Sweden have better singers than all of them, but out of the aforementioned three Amy's the one. That girl has a set of pipes.

Autonomist
02-13-2007, 02:54 AM
Call Me When You're Sober has to be one of the worst songs I've ever heard. I'm not big on the singer's voice, however it's mostly their music itself that I can't stand. Not enough bass, and all their guitar riffs are angsty and repetitive.

Venom Symbiote
02-13-2007, 03:39 AM
Yeah, I hate that song too. Didn't like much of Fallen, either, that's a pretty weak record overall. But check out Origin and some of the newer non-potential-single songs off The Open Door.

I don't mean to sound like I'm defending them, I mean, I have a lot of issues with Evanescence as a band, but about half of their catalogue is pretty outstanding. The rest is meh, but when people make them out to be as shitty as Limp Bizkit or Panic At The Disco or whatever, it just annoys me. Evanescence, while kind of hit-or-miss, do have talent.

And I think Amy Lee has turned into a diva whore, don't get me wrong on that. It's just...if you go by her voice alone? She's pretty fucking accomplished.

Ben Moody, likewise, was a pretty decent (not amazing, however) songwriter. I like about half of The Open Door, but it doesn't really feel like the same band without him, if that makes any sense.

However, Within Temptation kick ass too. Overall they're a little more similar to Nightwish than Evanescence, though. Nightwish's guitars are better, but meh.

Lithuanian Offspring
02-13-2007, 05:49 AM
I see little if no difference between the two aforementioned bands. Except that the chick in this band has a lame ass voice. But it's not your fault. Not everyone can listen to good music.

All About Eve
02-13-2007, 04:17 PM
Okay dude, not liking it is okay, but don't go bashing tastes.

WT has much more of a metal edge than Evanessence, as well. And as for the Tarja reference, I didn't think she had a great voice at all. Plus I think WT's singer fits the style better than Amy Lee's does.

Venom Symbiote
02-13-2007, 06:31 PM
Sharon sounds more like most other Euro-goth/symphonic metal band's female singers, sure. She's just not as vocally accomplished as Amy. WT are awesome, yeah, but Sharon's kinda...nothing special.

Tarja, meh, I'm kind of apathetic regarding her. Nightwish are alright, but not my preferred band of the genre.

H1T_That
02-19-2007, 09:19 AM
Get Wishmaster by these guys. Its awesome.

Mannen som blev en gris
02-19-2007, 09:27 AM
Gothic metal (that's it right?) is one of those genres that, just like progressive metal, looks good "on the paper", but I just can't get into it. I don't know, I generally love it when bands use female guest singers and stuff, and the whole depressiveness of the genre is something I should like as well (I'm a fag, I know. Emo.), but I don't know... Maybe I just haven't found "THE" goth band yet.

Yatesy
02-20-2007, 09:12 AM
I find Within Temptation to be a bit of a joke tbh. I can't take their music seriously it's that bad. The new Evanescence album was barely listenable, but a lot of it is very repetitive and overall very bland. Plus most of it was just recycling what Lacuna Coil have done.

darea
02-20-2007, 02:14 PM
I just don't listen to Evanescence but I guess those songs are quite good, although I can't tell much difference between these songs and the other ones I have heard before...

But I quite like Stand my ground though