PDA

View Full Version : Recommend to me...

mrconeman
02-13-2007, 04:29 AM
I don't really know exactly how to say what I'm looking for but, I'll try.

I'd love some recommendations for nice sounding acoustic stuff...er...y'know singer/songwriter artists that you can just sit back and relax too?
I'm thinking along the lines of a song or two I've heard from Sufjan Stevens (recommend some from him) and songs I've heard from Jose Gonzales.
This is just inspired by me realizing a little while ago I have too few music that I can just chill with, alot of it takes attention to appreciate (the likes of classical), or you can't really chill to it because thats not the point (rock/metal). I'm (finally) getting an acoustic guitar of my own, after like 3 years of electric playing soon enough, and would like some more than what I already have to learn songs with.
also, alot of recent TV adverts have had the nicest little acoustic tunes in them, and I want stuff in that vein of music.

So go ahead, I'm all ears and want some new music, recommendations are nice, but uploads get heartz.

T-6005
02-13-2007, 11:18 AM
Lots of people are really into Jack Johnson's stuff. Most of his stuff sounds kind of annoying to me, except for the song Taylor, which just to boot also has a nice intro that's fun to play if you're interested in it.

Jack Johnson - Taylor: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5EN32SQX

If you like that, check out some of his other stuff. I know people who like Jack Johnson have tended to like Donavon Frankenreiter, too, so you might want to check him out.

I can never mention acoustic stuff without a shout for the Jon Butler Trio. Admittedly, a lot of their stuff is more than just acoustic, and it's not all just chill music, but I have to mention them. I'll upload 2 of their songs - one that's not chill but that I just happen to love, and one that's a bit less rhythmy.

John Butler Trio - Take: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QH9HNDF3
John Butler Trio - Peaches & Cream: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=40M4MXHD

And since I just can't keep my LATO obssession quiet, here's a couple of acoustic acoustic songs by them (one with a brass section).
LATO - Fireflies: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=50DRPEL6
LATO - Lighthouse: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=IAFS2DX4

And tell me if any of those don't work - megaupload was getting pissy at me near the end - I'll find another way to send them.

mrconeman
02-13-2007, 11:33 AM
Thanks alot for the reply. And it's like you read my mind or something, because I seen a live video of the John Butler trio doing Ocean (mind blowing performance btw) and thats exactly the sort of thing I'm after, I just forgot to mention them in the first post.
Unfortunately only one of those links worked,the Trio's Peaches & Cream, the rest say "The file you are trying to access is temporarily unavailable."
If you don't feel like uploading them again or whatever I can just download them myself if you don't feel like it.
And yesss, this kind of song (peaches and cream) is just what I'm looking for.
Cheers.

RickyCrack
02-13-2007, 12:20 PM
Mike Park and Dan Potthast.

T-6005
02-13-2007, 12:49 PM
Here are all the files again - this time they're in a RAR file on savefile. I also threw in another John Butler Trio favorite of mine for kicks.
http://savefile.com/files/489096

mrconeman
02-13-2007, 01:02 PM
Thanks men.
Downloading that now.

Jakebert
02-13-2007, 01:16 PM
Elliot Smith has some stuff like that, although some of it is a little depressing.

Neutral Milk Hotel's acoustic stuff is good for that, too.

Also, the Shins' "New Slang" is a good'n.

mrconeman
02-13-2007, 01:36 PM
Thanks, Jakebert. That last one was awesome, seems like something that could have been used as the outro song for an episode of Scrubs (I think it may have been?) and I'm just realizing, all of the outro scrubs songs are nice little acoustic ones, must find a list of those.

T-6005: This folder has all been just what I'm looking for, thanks again.

Bazza
02-13-2007, 03:07 PM
Joey Cape and Tony Sly's Acoustic album is pretty good, I'll upload it for you if you want (I can't do it right now)?

mrconeman
02-13-2007, 04:23 PM
That works for me, I can't download right now.

Apathy
02-13-2007, 05:17 PM
RickyCrack mentioned Dan Potthast already, I love him. They're Talking and My Favorite Song are probably free on www.mu330.com

Obviously, click on the dan potthast link.

Jakebert
02-13-2007, 08:08 PM
Thanks, Jakebert. That last one was awesome, seems like something that could have been used as the outro song for an episode of Scrubs (I think it may have been?) and I'm just realizing, all of the outro scrubs songs are nice little acoustic ones, must find a list of those.

It might have been. I know Zach Braff used it on the Garden State soundtrack.

Also, speaking of Scrubs songs, that reminded me of Joshua Radin. They've used like 3 of his songs for different episodes. "These Photographs" and "Winter" are the only ones I can remember offhand, but I know there's a third one.

barangatang
02-13-2007, 08:11 PM
The General - Dispatch

nieh
02-13-2007, 08:17 PM
Does it have to be acoustic or just relaxing?

XYlophonetreeZ
02-13-2007, 08:39 PM
The General - Dispatch
Fail.

John Butler is the fucking man.

Singer/songwriter acoustic stuff isn't a genre I particularly like, but there's some good stuff. As for Sufjan Stevens, I'm in the minority that much prefers his older stuff to the Illinois/Avalanche stuff, which I think tends to be overindulgent. Try "The Upper Peninsula" and "Holland" from his Michigan album, they're both incredibly beautiful.

Also, here's a nice little song that my roommate's brother wrote and recorded. The quality's not great and the harmonica's way too loud, but I really like his vocal style and the genre perfectly fits what you're looking for:

Blythewood (http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=20D31E20175DA404)

Betty
02-14-2007, 02:44 AM
You beat me Thi, I am so addicted to The John Butler Trio. I could seriously play it on repeat all day for any occasion.

mrconeman
02-14-2007, 06:49 AM
It might have been. I know Zach Braff used it on the Garden State soundtrack.

Also, speaking of Scrubs songs, that reminded me of Joshua Radin. They've used like 3 of his songs for different episodes. "These Photographs" and "Winter" are the only ones I can remember offhand, but I know there's a third one.
I knew I was relating that to Zach Braff. Thanks again man, I'll get those downloaded soon.

Does it have to be acoustic or just relaxing?
Doesn't have to be acoustic, nope, thats just a preference in my current situation, I'll listen to just about anything really, so go ahead and recommend/upload, no problem.

Singer/songwriter acoustic stuff isn't a genre I particularly like, but there's some good stuff. As for Sufjan Stevens, I'm in the minority that much prefers his older stuff to the Illinois/Avalanche stuff, which I think tends to be overindulgent. Try "The Upper Peninsula" and "Holland" from his Michigan album, they're both incredibly beautiful.

Thanks man, I'd been hearing alot about him and felt left behind, I'll definatly check out those songs, if it's to my taste probably get an album or two, thanks.

Also, here's a nice little song that my roommate's brother wrote and recorded. The quality's not great and the harmonica's way too loud, but I really like his vocal style and the genre perfectly fits what you're looking for:

Thats a very relaxing tune, exactly what I'm looking for his vocals were great on that fitted very nicely, thats one for the MP3 player.

On a side note, I'm heavily digging The John Butler Trio, everything I've heard from them so far has been excellent, and to T6005, that Jack Johnson song was a surprise, I heard him on TV and didnt really like what I was hearing, but Taylor was a very good song.

Thanks everyone, keep 'em coming if you can/wish

Bazza
02-14-2007, 07:28 AM
http://rapidshare.com/files/16427232/Joey_Cape___Tony_Sly.rar.html

As promised Joey Cape & Tony Sly

mrconeman
02-14-2007, 07:56 AM
Cheers for the upload, Bazza.
Downloading now, I'll reply with a verdict once I've reached one.

edit: Download-session invalid :(

T-6005
02-14-2007, 12:20 PM
You beat me Thi, I am so addicted to The John Butler Trio. I could seriously play it on repeat all day for any occasion.
What can I say? I like being helpful.

On a side note, I'm heavily digging The John Butler Trio, everything I've heard from them so far has been excellent, and to T6005, that Jack Johnson song was a surprise, I heard him on TV and didnt really like what I was hearing, but Taylor was a very good song.
Yeah, I went through a phase of really disliking everything by that guy, but Taylor is definitely a great song. The intro's really fun to learn and play on guitar, as well.

The John Butler Trio kicks ass. Maybe I'll get around to uploading the rest of what I have from them.

mrconeman
02-14-2007, 01:16 PM
That'd be awesome, if you're up to it.

T-6005
02-14-2007, 02:21 PM
I'm in a very nice mood these days.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=638A54NL

That should be it. Again, if it doesn't work, tell me and I'll find another way.

mrconeman
02-14-2007, 02:45 PM
Did I mention you're really awesome?
It's working, downloading now.
Thanks for this.

T-6005
02-14-2007, 04:49 PM
No need to tell me - I already know.

mrconeman
02-15-2007, 03:59 PM
So I downloaded Sufjan Stevens' Michigan album, very good stuff, good musician that guy is, very good.

I declare this thread a success and thank all who took part.

Bazza
02-16-2007, 05:35 AM
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6DSF3W0J

Ok, I've re-uploaded Joey Cape and Tony Sly with a different site, hope it works..

Tralala
05-27-2008, 05:50 PM
This is the kind of thread I always end up discovering new music from.... it's the best thing about the "long tail" and music.... before u had to read in a magazine or hunt around in a record store to find something cool -- which made the choices always subject to the "gatekeeping" of editors and music store buyers and etc... -- which would lead inevitably to mediocrity and the prevalence of "poser music" -- i.e. stuff that you want to like because you think it's cool, not because you really like it. Music journalism especially creates high-profiles for really lame stuff, because journalists are always looking behind their backs, trying to profile something that they think in 2 years people will think they were cool for liking "way back when".... I GREATLY prefer the democratic nature of threads like these, where people simply list their tastes and you can just look something up on itunes or youtube and check it out for yourself....

These days I'm really into techno and techno/rock and stuff like that -- try searching for these songs:

Thomas Falke "Revolution On The Dance Floor"
Groove Cutter "My Shooter"
Control One "Just A Little Bit"
Ian Carey "Redlight"
Kevin Weg "Dead Radio"

I don't usually go for techno but these are sort of like a weird crossover between rock and techno/trance.

Here are also some downloads with some other cool stuff too -- http://www.electricfilebox.com/tracks

irishpunkrockgirl
05-27-2008, 05:52 PM
jesse lacey. Even though im finding it so hard to find any of his stuff about the gaf.

dff_punk
05-27-2008, 06:00 PM
Tralala, I love your username.