PDA

View Full Version : I give up (The Leaving Song tabs)

endlesst0m
02-13-2007, 10:16 PM
I'm usually good at finding things on the internet. And I normally would avoid making a thread dedicated to something so insignificant, but I cannot for the mother fucking life of me figure out the AFI song "The Leaving Song" (part 1). I keep getting stuck on the same chord everytime I sit down and try to figure it out.

Does anyone know the chords for the part 0:36 seconds into the song("Hard to notice gleaming from the sky")? I dunno what you would call that, a verse, a chorus, a bridge, I dunno. All I know is I can't figure out the 3rd chord in that part. I've looked and looked, but I can't find a single tab that is correct. Some of them say it's a G chord, or even power chord, which isn't even close. If you know the answer to this problem, please help me end my frustration.

psycolili
02-13-2007, 10:37 PM
did you try looking up the tabs...if you already did then there's really no way else i can help you sorry, but i hope you figure it out.

All About Eve
02-13-2007, 11:15 PM
The vocals you mention start a few seconds after 0:36. Would you mind posting what you have so far, up through about 0:40?

neocon58
02-14-2007, 07:10 AM
Pretty sure I found an alright chord chart for that off of UG.

Song itself isn't too hard. Unique sounding tho, some funky strumming styles, and I think two differen't guitar tracks going on (yes apart from the obvious rhythm and lead...I mean two rhythm tracks playing (strumming?) the same thing slightly differenly. Gives off this weird spacey sound.)

endlesst0m
02-14-2007, 10:42 PM
The vocals you mention start a few seconds after 0:36. Would you mind posting what you have so far, up through about 0:40?

Come to think of it, I claimed it was 0:36 seconds into the song based on a Youtube video (this particular video simply played the song) that I happened to have up last time I tried to figure the song out. It's likely that the video cut out a little bit of the intro to the song, since it isn't exactly neccesary, making everything a little faster. So the part I'm talking about probably starts at like 40-45 seconds into the song rather than 0:36. Well anyway, the exact numbers aren't important, it's the "Hard to notice gleaming from the sky" part. The third chord in that part. I swear to God, there's not a single tab in the world that has that chord accuratley tabbed.

Little_Miss_1565
02-15-2007, 06:34 AM
Did you try all the variations of the chord in question? In the verse it sounds like an open Am, and I play bass now so my guitar is stringless and sitting in a corner, so I can't check it--does Jade play the Am on "Hard to notice..." an octave up somewhere as a barre chord?

All About Eve
02-15-2007, 10:07 AM
Yeah, try all minors, or 7s, or minor7s.

endlesst0m
02-16-2007, 10:26 AM
Did you try all the variations of the chord in question? In the verse it sounds like an open Am, and I play bass now so my guitar is stringless and sitting in a corner, so I can't check it--does Jade play the Am on "Hard to notice..." an octave up somewhere as a barre chord?

I know there's an Am in the riff in the beggining of the song ("Walk away..."), though I haven't considered that that could be the chord that I can't figure out. Pretty much any tab I can find says it's B major, B minor, B5, and one even says it's G major. I'll try Am and variations of it and see what I come up with though.

Little_Miss_1565
02-16-2007, 10:57 AM
Again, I dont' have a guitar that I can check this on, and it's hard to hear shit like this on my bass, but if it's a B, check B minor 7 and in different parts of the fretboard. Lazy tabbers will say things like B5 because power chords are neither major nor minor (root-fifth-root) so it works, but it might not be what's on the recording.

endlesst0m
02-16-2007, 02:53 PM
Again, I dont' have a guitar that I can check this on, and it's hard to hear shit like this on my bass, but if it's a B, check B minor 7 and in different parts of the fretboard. Lazy tabbers will say things like B5 because power chords are neither major nor minor (root-fifth-root) so it works, but it might not be what's on the recording.

What do you know? Bm 7 sounds right! I used ChordFind.com and found a lot of variations for that chord, so I'm not sure if I'm playing the right one, but I can tell that it's the right notes. Thanks a lot...thanks to everyone who helped.

bouncingcoles
02-16-2007, 09:58 PM
that song sucks anyway

0r4ng3
02-16-2007, 10:18 PM
[ Insert obligatory comment about how helpful bouncingcoles just was here. ]

Little_Miss_1565
02-16-2007, 11:51 PM
What do you know? Bm 7 sounds right! I used ChordFind.com and found a lot of variations for that chord, so I'm not sure if I'm playing the right one, but I can tell that it's the right notes. Thanks a lot...thanks to everyone who helped.

You're welcome! :)

that song sucks anyway

Boo hoo hooo! :(