PDA

View Full Version : What album are you listening to?

Mota Boy
02-14-2007, 08:02 AM
Yeah yeah - I know. I know. This thread already exists. In another forum. But hear me out first: I don't mean the song that's playing on your computer right now. That's just a self-serving factoid that, to be frank, is kinda gay. This, however, is a slightly broader question: what artist or album are you listening to at the moment? See what I did there? What CD did you buy recently that's been spinning more often than not? What artist have you been downloading recently?

Also - and this is important - include a reasonably in-depth review, because nobody honestly gives a shit about what you, specifically, are listening to. They might, however, be somewhat interested in what you think about what you're listening to.

Anyway, I just thought I'd give this a shot because I'm trying to listen to more music and I don't want to start a new thread every few days. This probably goes against the spirit of the forum, but fuck it, I feel like presenting my listening habits in this format, and PRick can slice and dice it as they see fit.

Mota Boy
02-14-2007, 08:03 AM
I bought "Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer" by Of Montreal on a whim. I'm trying to force myself to buy a CD a week, and I've been getting behind - they'll be in town soon, I'd heard and moderately appreciated some of their other stuff, and they were selling well at my local record shop. I actually somewhat liked it right off, which is kinda rare, though song five ("Gronlandic Edit" - seriously, do they have to give their songs such awkward titles?) is very much a strange shift. Interestingly, however, I find the music an incredibly ethereal animal - when I'm in the car playing it I know I like it - when I have it on in the background in my apartment I'm appreciative, but when I try to think of it while it's not actually playing, I can't remember how any of the songs go, even number six ("A Sentence of Sorts in Kongsvinger"), which I've played at least a dozen times. It's incredibly strange, as I know I like the CD, I just can't prove it to myself.

When all is said and done, it'll probably end up as a nice background CD - for a roadtrip, for hanging around the house while I do something else - but I'd be surprised if, in a month's time, it was a "go-to" CD, unless I keep popping it in because I can't recall the damn thing.

lint
02-14-2007, 08:06 AM
Apart from my Offspring binge, I've been listening to quite a bit of Frank Zappa. I cant get enough of "Peaches En Regalia" and the whole "We're Only In It For The Money" album.

I've also just got some Dream Theater and DragonForce. The song "Storming the Burning Fields" has to be the fastest song I've ever heard.

Whiplash
02-14-2007, 08:08 AM
I've just downloaded some ignite songs. I love them, veteran is really really good.

Grabbal
02-14-2007, 08:11 AM
Not sure about the album title, but I'm hooked on "Crash test dummies" after one of my friends showed me the song and I remembered it from my childhood... If you know who they are you know I'm referring to the song "Mmmm Mmmm Mmmm Mmmm".. The strangest title but the best song!!

PS: Most of the album is pretty good too..

Mota Boy
02-14-2007, 08:35 AM
Girl Talk - Night Ripper

Apparently Girl Talk is coming to town this weekend. Girl Talk, for those of y'all unfamiliar with him (yes, "Girl Talk" is a him), is the stage name for Philly native Gregg Gillis. His music is catchy, intriguing and so fucking illegal I have no idea how the RIAA hasn't burst through his door wearing FBI knockoff jackets (http://slashdot.org/articles/04/01/09/1747230.shtml). The songs are - in their entirety - composed of hooks from other, more famous, pop songs. That's it. Somewhere beyond the remix, but not as entirely dependent on each song as the mashup, Girl Talk's songs off his latest CD "Night Ripper" (released by the appropriately-titled Illegal Art) contain as few as five and as many as twenty-one samples cut up, redone, pasted over one or two other slices of top 40 and college radio for a few seconds each, more often than not involving rap or R&B lyrics supported by sliced and diced pop/indie riffs.

Sometimes it works better than others and every so often the two sounds don't go together perfectly - like when The Clipse rap over Phantom Planet's piano hook from "California" at the end of "Too Deep" - but even then it only causes you to crane in closer to try and dissect the sound. And hearing the Ying Yang Twins whisper "beat the pussy up" over the Verve's "Bittersweet Symphony" or Slim Thug talk about his game with hoes over "Wonderwall" - back to back on "Once Again" - is more than a little trippy. It takes a certain unpretentiousness to appreciate, as it's pure hook and heavy on the rap, but it's certainly worth checking out.

If you want to listen to Girl Talk for yourself, follow this link (http://downloads.pitchforkmedia.com/Grizzly%20Bear%20-%20Knife%20(Girl%20Talk%20Remix).mp3). While this is probably my favorite song of his, it doesn't best represent his work, as it's a remix of Grizzly Bear's "The Knife" that features the song throughout rather than merely over one ten or twenty second segment.

Pena
02-14-2007, 08:38 AM
Edited.............

0r4ng3
02-14-2007, 08:45 AM
I've been listening to Billy Talent a lot. Big surprise.

But yeah, I've been listening to their self-titled more than II. I know the second one is better, but the first one is, I dunno, easier to listen to. Plus, Try Honesty is probably the best song that BT's ever done.

I've also been listening to both The Sufferer and the Witness and Revolutions Per Minute by Rise Against. Not so much the other two, mostly because The Unraveling is too straightforward punk and Siren Song of the Counter Culture reeks of mainstream over-production.

I should probably talk more about both bands, but it'd be unnecessary because I'm sure everyone's heard of Billy Talent and Rise Against. I should probably listen to more obscure stuff.

Mota Boy
02-14-2007, 08:49 AM
Look kids, I was going to address this in the original post but I hoped I wouldn't have to - post more than a sentence or don't post at all. I want a review that will generate discussion, not a factoid about your day. If you're going to say "I listened to band X. They're good. Kinda loud." you might as well be talking about what you had for lunch. Make it more about the band than about the fact that you're listening to it.

Make the CD somewhat recent, or somewhat obscure. I don't mean to single you out Grabbal, but everyone here has heard that fucking humming song from the Crash Test Dummies. Is your next review going to be of "Slave 4 U"? "Ignition"? Rock music? [Edit - Jesus, I didn't even fucking see Pena's post yet.]

To all potential posters - this isn't for us to keep up with your listening habits - again, we don't care. This is for us to learn of and talk about new music. If you're going to post something like "It is good." I'm going to make fun of you and this topic will be locked. So show some restraint and put some thought into your posts, if possible.

DexterWannabe
02-14-2007, 09:04 AM
i listen to swedish punk and some general hardcore

Pena
02-14-2007, 09:08 AM
Sorry Mota Boy.

I'll edit my post.

I didn't understand the idea about the thread!

Sorry...

Mota Boy
02-14-2007, 09:11 AM
i listen to swedish punk and some general hardcoreShut the fuck up. Before you ever post in this topic again, follow these two steps.

1) Read my first post, paying attention to the words (even the hard ones).
2) Fucking kill yourself.

T-6005
02-14-2007, 11:01 AM
LATO - More Art Than Convenience?

I've been listening to this album a ton, and it's pretty much totally unknown (I made a thread about it in this section and uploaded the album for anyone who wants to download it.)

Anyways, I've really been going through a big phase of these guys recently - it happens to me every few months, but that's just because they're awesome. They're apparently a British guy who moved to Berlin and formed a band there. A lot of the songs sound like your average, standard Brit pop-rock, like Airhead, I Wanna be Me, and Rack Up A Replay. A few songs definitely go above and beyond that, though, and they're why I love LATO. I can listen to their normal brit pop songs and enjoy them without them really sticking in my mind, and then we reach one of their slower songs with acoustic guitars and as soon as the song starts I know I'm going to love the next 3 minutes of relaxing beautiful ballady song. Songs like Fireflies and Lighthouse really underscore this on the album for me - they're about 50% of the reason I keep coming back to the album. Don't get me wrong, I really like the other songs too, they would just start to sound (a little) bland and standard without those two gems. And then even in the Brit pop-rock tracks there are some really outstanding tracks, such as Shiver In The Mirror and Lounge International.

Anyways, overall, LATO's a great band that I can come back to over and over, and I've been going through another phase of listening to them recently - it really makes me wonder why they aren't more well-known.

EDIT - Here's the link to the thread I made if my review made you curious at all. The link to the album is in the first post.

http://www.offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28189

German Andres
02-14-2007, 11:23 AM
The Smashing Pumpkins - Machina: The machines of God

I`ve been listening this album a lot recently. A relative gave it to me, because he got tired of it.

The album isn`t great, but has some interesting songs.....mmm, now that I come to think about it, only 1 song is great... I am talking about the first track, "The ever lasting Gaze". The song is amazing, very heavy. The bizarre voice of Billy Corgan fits this song nicely.
The other songs aren`t good, except of "Heavy Metal Machine", track 7. A bit heavy, also.
About the lyrics.....well, they are from Corgan, so they are excellent, as well as a bit odd.
To conclude, I `d say that is better to download the 2 songs I mentioned than buying the album.

Tijs
02-14-2007, 11:48 AM
Rock Against Bush II, awesome.

Tijs
02-14-2007, 11:49 AM
That one was to tease Mota Boy.

Seriously though: Guns n' Roses - Use Your Illusion II

As I was checking my Winamp list the other day, I noticed I didn't have 'Use Your Illusion II' in it. Big surprise because I was 100% sure I had it. But after searching my computer it turned out that I didn't. Whenever me and my sister are in the car, we're listening to Guns n' Roses. And almost every saturday night my dad puts on a few music-dvd's, including my GnR DVD. So I must've heard the songs enough to be familiar with them. Although I've heard the album a couple of times before, there are some damn fine songs on it.
The first song, 'Civil War', is immediately the best one. Both of Use Your Illusion I and II. It puts the next song in a huge shadow. It actually makes me want to skip it (as some of you like to skip the entire album). '14 Years' isn't that special, it makes 'Yesterdays' sound so much better than it. Don't get me wrong, I love 'Yesterdays', it's a good song. Of course we all know 'Knockin' on Heaven's Door'. It sounds great, if you don't listen to it too many times.
After that it's a bit of a wait until the next awesome song, 'Estranged'. That song is so damn strong, full and the tempo-changes are awesome. This song lasts for 9.23. If it would've been 15 minutes I would've been very okay with that. 'Don't Cry', with alternate lyrics doesn't sound as good as the 'original' version. Could be because I don't know the lyrics very well, so I'm hearing something else than I expect. But if you ask me, it doesn't sound as fluent as the original.

A few awesome songs, many forgettable.

Sinister
02-14-2007, 12:00 PM
Metallica - S&M
I'm actually listening to a few songs here and there and they're the ones I'll review

DISC 1 :

The Ecstasy of Gold : Metallica's intro to shows since long ago; starts slow and smooth, kinda speeds up and ends in a fucking glorious climax. The shortest song of the show and a promise of awesome things to come.

The Call of Ktulu : Instrumental; possibly the best song of the CD in terms of the music itself. From the eerie intro to the lightning fast solo to the heavy outro... goodness everywhere, 10 minutes long without a voice and it doesn't get boring.

Master of Puppets : old classic, the orchestra breathes a new life in it, especially during the bridge. Sounds like violin players had to be careful not to stab one another with their bows.

Of Wolf and Man : as energetic as the song before it, but the vocal harmonies (if you can call Rob Trujillo's growling "vocal harmony") are more interesting, and James uses his voice better (SO SEEK THE WOLF IN THYSELF!) and the orchestra is more present throughout the song.

The Memory Remains : Now's where the crowd really goes wild, the orchestra is often in countermelodies for a very nice effect, and I often find myself singing along embarassingly loud. Guitar solo is as impressive as always, and the orchestra even follows Kirk loosely.

No Leaf Clover : First time they ever played that song. Smooth orchestral intro lets you think it'll be a ballad, then BANG! Guitars come in and go out again at times, replaced by violins and James doing an awesome job of sounding melancholic.

Hero of the Day : Following in that melancholic/angry style, with acoustic-ish guitars in the intro, and a growling chorus (Trujillo strikes again with intense backing vocals!). James uses his whole vocal range there as well.

DISC 2 :

Nothing Else Matters : The album version already has tiny bits of violin here and there, and making them prominent only makes the song better. This song and the following balance out the more energetic songs of the end of first CD, something that didn't happen during the event itself as it was two separate nights, both beginning with smooth stuff.

Until It Sleeps : Slow and powerful with an awesome intro, two voices throughout the choruses. The orchestra does fills here and there that really mix with the guitars. Brilliant.

Wherever I May Roam : Starts out calm-ish, goes all-out pretty quick, awesome guitar solo, beat... damn, I'm gonna repeat myself.

these songs get a listen every time I listen to S&M, others don't beacuse I like them less, and I'm only at the computer for so long at a time.

Rag Doll
02-14-2007, 12:09 PM
I will give a review of the cd I am listening to when I am a bit more awake. I just wanted to say I completely LOVE Of Montreal. I haven't listened to *Hissing Fauna* all that much, but I love *Sunlandic Twins* and *Satanic Panic*.

Forza
02-14-2007, 12:22 PM
Can - Tago Mago

A masterpiece of progressive rock, critics say. Well; on this album there's only one song I can stand and that one is indeed a masterpiece. Halleluhwah the song is called. It just has everything, good guitar, great rythm, 'special effects' and stuff. Krautrock is the best music ever. I'd at least recommend the song Halleluhwah to everybody and maybe the rest album, if you really like it.

Sisters of Mercy - Floodland

I had been listening to Lacrimosa for a while and I decided to download some more goth rock. This album was a big hit. It sounds very eighties with those specific 80's drums, but the songs Lucreatia My Reflection, 1959 and This Corrosion are in fact very nice. Lucreatia My Reflection has such a catchy bassguitar. Just for the bass I'd check it out :) 1959 is mostly piano and the darkness to it rocks. This Corrosion seems to be their most well-known song; and it's indeed the best song on the album. Lovely album; that is if you like goth rock or if you want to listen to some.

Deep Purple - Machinehead

Best album ever. Just Smoke on the Water and Highway Star already have that majestic degree of awesomeness I look for in a song. Great guitar solo's, too.

nieh
02-14-2007, 02:38 PM
I've recently gotten into Tom Waits but it's been a couple weeks since I last got one of his albums so his rotations have slowed recently. Red Sparrowes have gotten a decent amount of play since getting their most recent album for Christmas. They're basically Isis except all instrumental (ok, the only actual link is the guitarist but he seems to be the one that influences their sound the most as they sound almost identical at times) which is awesome because Isis's singer = boo. They do heavy, pretty, soundscaping post-rock/metal, etc. and they're really fucking good at it.

To Forza: I don't think I've ever heard anyone refer to Can as progressive rock but that might just be because I don't pay attention to what most people say.

Jakebert
02-14-2007, 02:54 PM
Sufjan Stevens- The Avalanche.

An album of outtakes from his previous album. Strangely enough, there's a lot of stuff on here that's better than stuff from "Illinois", which makes me wonder why they made they cut and these songs didn't. Some of the songs are kind of forgettable though, and I could do without 3 different versions of "Chicago", no matter how good the acoustic one is.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
02-14-2007, 03:01 PM
I've been listening to Billy Talent a lot. Big surprise.

But yeah, I've been listening to their self-titled more than II. I know the second one is better, but the first one is, I dunno, easier to listen to. Plus, Try Honesty is probably the best song that BT's ever done.

Jeez, I've been the EXACT same way lately, listening to a hell lot more of Billy Talent's self-titled than anything else. Except, instead of "Try Honesty", it's been "Lies", "River Below", and "The Ex".

--
And because of the upcoming concert I'm attending, I've been listening to more and more of:

Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge by My Chemical Romance

This is my number one guilty pleasure album, and the songs like "You Know What They Do To Guys Like Us In Prison", "I'm Not Okay (I Promise)", and "It's Not A Fashion Statement, It's A Fucking Deathwish" are just too good and addicting. These are songs I listened to years ago, but I'm loving again.

lint
02-14-2007, 06:13 PM
Has anyone ever heard of the band Polaris? They did the theme song to the show The Adventures of Pete and Pete. I think they're pretty good. Real catchy guitar lines.

nieh
02-14-2007, 06:18 PM
You'd probably like Miracle Legion as well, they're practically the same band.

opivy21
02-14-2007, 07:24 PM
I have been listening to Meat Puppets II by the Meat Puppets on my computer for a month or two, but I only decided to get the cd today. It's quite good. The influences are pretty broad but they sound good together, and the Puppets can make interesting music out of styles that I personally can't stand in their pure forms (country, psychedelic). It's pretty mellow, and pretty out there, and I'm sure it could be a good listen for stoners, but the tunes are straight up good in any state of mind. The Puppets were like grunge, but good. Plus Curt Kirkwood was a pretty fine guitarist.

Mota Boy, I really like that Girl Talk song. This thread is cool.

T-6005
02-14-2007, 08:28 PM
I'd kind of like to hear Claibe's responses to our reviews so far, just to find out what he really wants out of this thread.

0r4ng3
02-14-2007, 09:31 PM
I'd kind of like to hear Claibe's responses to our reviews so far, just to find out what he really wants out of this thread.
I think basically, he wants more than "I've been listening to x album. It's good."

Which is pretty much the majority of the beginning of this thread.

Jakebert
02-15-2007, 05:40 AM
The Decemberists- The Crane Wife.

This album has gotten a lot of praise from mainstream magazines and critics, so naturally I assumed it would suck. But, luckily, I was wrong. It's a perfect blend of almost all of my favorite genres. It mixes R.E.M., Neutral Milk Hotel, The Grateful Dead, and Sufjan Stevens into one brilliant, diverse yet cohesive album.

The folk stuff is easily the strongest on the album, since that's what the Descemberists have always been best at, but even the more rock oriented stuff is incredibly well done on the album. "The Island" is one of the best song cycles I've heard from a modern band.

The storytelling is really interesting, too. The whole story is told through a flashback, and it begins at the end of the story. I know this is a common idea
in movies and TV, but in a concept album, it's different because most bands tend to stay linear to make the story easier to digest. But the Descemberists experiment with that a little more, trying to create a more epic, cinematic story. And it works without being so pretentious it's annoying.

BuddyHolly
02-15-2007, 08:22 AM
I've just downloaded some ignite songs. I love them, veteran is really really good.

I haven't beenlistening much to their music for a couple of weeks but I have been lately. They're just brilliant.

German Andres
02-15-2007, 12:03 PM
I`ve just bought Ten, from Pearl Jam. It isn`t new, it was released in 1991.
Man, its fucking awesome! Great vocals, of course. But the main point is the guitar...or should I say guitars? (they are 2)
The album is well balanced, each heavy song is compensated with a more "quietter" one. I have to stand out a few songs: Even Flow, Once, Alive and Jeremy. You HAVE to listen to them! And if you are a grunge fan, it will become one of your favourite albums.

Forza
02-15-2007, 01:46 PM
I`ve just bought Ten, from Pearl Jam. It isn`t new, it was released in 1991.
Man, its fucking awesome! Great vocals, of course. But the main point is the guitar...or should I say guitars? (they are 2)
The album is well balanced, each heavy song is compensated with a more "quietter" one. I have to stand out a few songs: Even Flow, Once, Alive and Jeremy. You HAVE to listen to them! And if you are a grunge fan, it will become one of your favourite albums.

I'm not a big fan of that album.. I downloaded it a few weeks ago. Not my kind of vocals. Strangely enough I do appreciate Nirvana, but Pearl Jam.. naah. The guitar solo in Alive is pretty damn good, but it's the only thing on the album that's worth it.

wheelchairman
02-15-2007, 03:20 PM
Steven Seagal- Songs from the Crystal Cave. Phil and Maartje went behind my back and got me an autographed copy. It's actually a pretty good album as far as music goes. I mean it's just your typical jazzy bluesish loungy stuff. And I mean really typical, you'd expect to hear that kind of thing in a cheap film maybe. But it's good in the background.

Otherwise I've been listening to The Shins - Chutes Too Narrow. This album is really good, very energetic, relatively good lyrics, and just simply good music. I often play it in the background while playing my super nintendo and the music just fits amazingly well. Plus, they are an Oregon band which makes them culturally superior to the rest of the US stuff out there.

Mota Boy
02-15-2007, 10:37 PM
I'd kind of like to hear Claibe's responses to our reviews so far, just to find out what he really wants out of this thread.Ideally, I was thinking of it as a microcosm of this forum. "This other band I'm listening to totally kicks ass - check it out and tell me what you think." This way, I can talk about multiple bands in the same day without feeling like I'm clogging up the forums with threads when I'm unsure how well known the artists are, or if they've been mentioned recently.

Mota Boy
02-15-2007, 10:45 PM
Steven Seagal- Songs from the Crystal Cave... It's actually a pretty good album as far as music goes. I mean it's just your typical jazzy bluesish loungy stuff.I remember a couple years when I was leaving D.C., some morning DJ program obtained a clip from it and eagerly anticipated putting it on. Then, after listening to the clip, they paused a second and said "You know, I actually kinda liked that."

I think I might get it just for the irony. Actual enjoyment of the record will be a side benefit.

Corpse
02-16-2007, 03:29 AM
Recently for me it has been two albums.

Ride the Lightning - Metallica

and

Come What(ever) May - Stone Sour

The reason for the Stone Sour one is very basic. I am seeing them in March. It is the better of the two albums on the whole that they have done. This is because it has a good mix of heavier stuff and some softer stuff like Through Glass and Zzyzx Rd.

The reason for the Metallica one is not so basic. I have no idea why I have suddenly started listening to Metallica again. It was as if that man getting fried in the electric chair was forcing me to listen to this album. And what an album it is. A rare occurence : there is not one track on the album that I do not like, that I skip as soon as I here it come on. It's just always on repeat, always making remember why I like Metallica so much.

Jakebert
02-16-2007, 08:05 AM
Elliot Smith- Either/Or.

Really classic album that I think everyone with an interest in indie should own or at least hear. It's emotional without being whiny, it's low-fi without being so low-fi it's untolerable, and incredibly catchy.

Musically, it's just simple modern folk-pop. There's no real surprises on it, but it's so well written that it doesn't matter.

Also, like with most low-fi albums, I love the way the drums sound on it. I have no idea why, but usually low-fi albums have really good sounding drums.

[[Jew in a Toaster]]
02-17-2007, 10:22 AM
Kill Em All.

That_Guy91
02-17-2007, 11:06 AM
];969334']Kill Em All.

Thank you for triggering such a wonderful discussion and being so detailed about the music.

coke_a_holic
02-17-2007, 02:12 PM
For someone as wrongly overcritical of everyone else, you sure have trouble reading, JIAT. EDIT: And you're listening to Metallica, what does that say about you?

I've been listening to Bomb the Music Industry!'s "Goodbye Cool World" and really enjoying it. There are some songs with a little too much of an odd, noisy approach to really appeal to me, while some take a very laid-back, ska-like feel. I really like the fact that writes/performs/programs it all himself, which is something I became highly interested in doing a few months before I downloaded the record. He gives it away for free online (www.bombthemusicindustry.com), and I suggest getting it, but ignoring the first track.

Jakebert
02-17-2007, 02:50 PM
Spinal Tap- This is Spinal Tap.

I barely ever listen to comedy albums, but this one is such a masterpiece that you can't not love it. It's a perfect parody of of hair metal, early progressive rock, skiffle, and even some 60's pop music. The lyrics are hilarious while being realistic to what they're parodying.

Musically, the songs are just plain catchy. And the fact that they're supposed to be stupid makes you feel less guilty for enjoying a song like "Tonight I'm Gonna Rock You Tonight!" or "Sex Farm".

F@ BANKZ
02-18-2007, 10:35 AM
NWA- Straight Outta Compton

Quite possibly the greatest rap album ever. Ice Cube was with them at this time and you can clearly see elements of his own touch that just seems to keep the later NWA albums not much better than average hip-hop.

Forza
02-18-2007, 11:23 AM
Porcupine Tree - Stupid Dream

I had never heard of this band 2 days ago, but damn they're good. Radioheadesque music. Great vocals, nice guitar. Perfect.

Grabbal
02-18-2007, 11:30 AM
Billy Talent II

Amazing album which with only good songs.. in my opinion..

Jakebert
02-18-2007, 01:49 PM
Bad Religion- The Empire Strikes First.

This is the first time in a while I've listened to Bad Religion, or punk rock in general actually. I've kind of grown out of it, but I still have a huge soft spot for Bad Religion, since they tend to elevate punk rock onto a higher level than most of the more forgettable bands.

As for the album itself, I love the first half. Everything up through "God's Love" is up there with their earlier, classic stuff. Really catchy, thought provoking, and fun punk rock. It's not anything groundbreaking or new, it's just plain good.

The stuff after "God's Love", though, ranges from mediocre to forgettable, even though there's nothing that I would call bad. The title track is catchy as hell, but it sounds a little too much like a lot of stuff that they've done a million times before to really be anything other than just okay. "Beyond Electric Dreams" is catchy as well, but the noise part at the end is just incredibly pointless and not done all that well.

Bazza
02-18-2007, 03:54 PM
Gogol Bordello - Voi-La Intruder

There's something about Gogol Bordello that makes me love them. Maybe it's because they're Ukrainian (I'm quarter Ukrainian), or maybe it's because they have a subtle blend of punk and traditional folk, something they've coined as "gypsy-punk". Either way it's brilliant and is easy and pleasing to listen to, 10/10!

Harnum
02-18-2007, 04:22 PM
Wolfmother - Self Titled EP

It's a GREAT album. I'm really into it and listen to it alt least ince a day. They are awesome.

HeadAroundU
02-18-2007, 04:41 PM
[U]Maybe it's because they're Ukrainian (I'm quarter Ukrainian)
I knew that something was wrong with you. :p I can definitely see it. You don't look British at all. You are 100% Slav.

Lars
02-18-2007, 04:54 PM
Gogol Bordello - Voi-La Intruder

There's something about Gogol Bordello that makes me love them. Maybe it's because they're Ukrainian (I'm quarter Ukrainian), or maybe it's because they have a subtle blend of punk and traditional folk, something they've coined as "gypsy-punk". Either way it's brilliant and is easy and pleasing to listen to, 10/10!

Shame their singer is a utter fucking cunt, which means I'll never even give them a chance. Fine you can act like a prick in an interview but when you're show is being filmed for free by people taking time out of busy schedules, paying to get there and for all stock, and you pour beer on a camera that costs between 1500-2000 you can fuck right off.

Vera
02-19-2007, 04:52 AM
No one's going to know what I'm talking about but oh well.

Huan Yang Shao Nian Shao Nu (aka Hana Kimi) OST

Because it wasn't weird enough that I was really into Indian film music, I decided to get one up on myself and get into Taiwanese pop thanks to this crazily amusing, happy TV show's soundtrack. It has 5-6 actual songs by Taiwanese popgroups/artists and the rest are instrumental tracks of those songs and other various background music.

First, my irks - it's criminal that the show has a lot very funny, interesting background songs with cool instruments but on the soundtrack you only have the lame versions, the ones where someone went nuts with a keyboard. Gahh!

However, the songs that are on the soundtrack are all very ace. I first fell in love with the ending theme song, Tank's "專屬天使" or "My only angel" as I believe the translation goes. Really awesome, beautiful track. The peppy, poppy, fun opening theme song by S.H.E is also excellent. My most-listened track on the whole OST is the rocking but cheesy Fahrenheit (Fei Lun Hai) song. It's a bit like if a boyband did a skatepunk song. Oh, and it has a rap interlude. Cheesy? Oh yesss.

One of the "genuinely good" songs off the soundtrack is Xiexieai by Sister Garden. It sounds like Kent with a Chinese female vocalist. Damn beautiful.

Spartan16
02-19-2007, 10:07 AM
Silent Civilian - Rebirth of the Temple

These guys are fucking awesome. Just saw them last friday in Atlanta and they fucking tore the roof off the place. If you're a fan of good metal, check 'em out.

Bazza
02-19-2007, 04:31 PM
I knew that something was wrong with you. :p I can definitely see it. You don't look British at all. You are 100% Slav.
Hehe, I'm very proud of my Eastern European roots!! It's one small thing which I can use when I don't want to be associated with Brits! Also many people have told me that I look a slight bit foreign.

Shame their singer is a utter fucking cunt, which means I'll never even give them a chance. Fine you can act like a prick in an interview but when you're show is being filmed for free by people taking time out of busy schedules, paying to get there and for all stock, and you pour beer on a camera that costs between 1500-2000 you can fuck right off.
I've not heard about this, but then it's fuckin punk so one would expect such debortuary!

ShutUpYouFuckingMime
02-19-2007, 05:08 PM
Modest Mouse - We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank

I'm in love with this album. I had fears that Johnny Marr would fuck this up, but it's a vaaaaaast improvement from their last album.

German Andres
02-20-2007, 09:31 AM
Superocho - 2` (the band`s name is 2`, if you got confused...)

This is an argentinian punk rock group, and you know something? They are fantastic. The lirics aren`t great, they are.....childish, in some way. I have to say that the guitar is very similar in all the songs, but, sincerely, every punk songs sounds the same. Its just punk...
Talking seriously, this album is great. I`d suggest you to get it and hear it. Then tell me.

Grabbal
02-20-2007, 09:34 AM
I've really been listening a lot to Ixnay lately..

No wonder cause it's my all time favourite album ever.. closely followed up by Ignition and Smash....

Jakebert
02-22-2007, 03:37 AM
The Mountain Goats- We Shall All Be Healed.

A lot of Mountain Goats fans seem to really dislike this album for some reason. It seems it's a mixture of the production and the fact that he's playing with a full backing band for the first time.

The thing is that I always saw those as plusses for it. The full backing band gives the album a unique feel to it that previous MG albums didn't have. As for the production, I don't see what's so bad about it. Sure, it's not the neat "recorded on a boombox" style of low-fi that MG is known for, but it's still fairly low-fi and still has that immediate, organic feel to it.

The songs themselves are just good, too. "Palmcorder Yajna" and "Letters From Belgium" are incredibly fun pop songs, while the album still has some of MG's softer emotional folk like "Quito" and "Linda Blair Was Born Innocent". So it's a good mix of a newer style with some of the old classics.

I'd give it a 5/5.

H1T_That
02-25-2007, 05:25 AM
Generally around this time of year i listen to a lot of metal. the main reason for this is the Download music festival, which falls on the 8th, 9,th and 10th of june. For those of you who don't know, this festival boasts a large selection of metal bands. So far this year Slayer, Killswitch Engage, and Iron Maiden have been announced. In the run up to the festival i listen to a lot of metal music (to get me into the mood or something i suppose) So here is a review of some of the albums i have been frequenting latley.

Iron Maiden - A Matter Of Life And Death

This is actually the first full lengh Iron Maiden CD i have. The rest just being compliations and singles. Bearing this in mind i am unable to compare it to any of thier other full length albums. I can however say, as my music taste goes, this album is rather good. The best tracks for me have to be "These Colours Don't Run" and "Lord Of Light" They simply stand out as great songs against the rest of the albums good songs. I'm pretty sure this CD is not thier best, based on the popularity of it and also from what i have heard from friends. The album has an all round british feel to it, which in a way makes it a little worse for me, as i generally don't like bands from the UK.

InFlames - Come Clarity

This is fast becomeing one of my favourite albums of all time. I friend first introduced me to this band, and i hated them. The guitars, the drums, the singer, everything. They just sounded horrible. Then, about a year ago i was watching the music channels on TV, and a song was playing that i really liked the sound of. When the ending came, and the song name and artist came up, i was surpirsed to find it was this band who i had once declared hated upon. I set out at once to find the song which i had liked and by doing so i picked up its respective album, "Come Clarity". I can now say, man this album has it all. The opening song "Take This Life" starts out with one of the most catchy riffs i have ever heard. This alone makes you fall in love with the song, and fromt here on the album flows perfectly, pausing at track 6 with the epic melody of a song which shares its name with the album title. Just when you think its candle has burned out and the amazing riffs blended with amazing solo's and great singing are gone, it all kicks off again with the agressive "Vacuum" A powerful song which gets you tapping your feet and nodding your head in time with the tempo. Another 6 great songs follow until you reach the end and hear the slow instrumental outro of "Your Bedtime Story Is Scaring Everyone" This is a great ending to a phenomenal album. As you hear the final notes of the outro, you;re left thinking, is that all? Lets listen to that again. The album isn't that short either. 13 tracks with an average time of 3mins 30secs a song. I would overall reccommend this album to anyone who likes metal. It really does have something for everyone.

36 CrazyFists - Rest Inside The Flames

36 CrazyFists are one of my favourite bands. Thus i was extremly dissapointed when i listend to this CD. I first got this CD when it came out (last june) and according to my WMP i've listened to the whole album about 5 or 6 times. Two of the tracks however, "Elysium" and "Aurora" have high play counts. I feel these two tracks sound like 36CF songs, where as the rest of the album sounds like they are trying new stuff and failing badly. Don't get me wrong, this album is rather good, i just feel it is bad as i had way higher expectations going off thier first 2 CD's. I personally know this bands drummer on MSN, he says even the band are relitivley dissapointed in how the album has turned out.

Atreyu - A Death Grip On Yesterday

Much like the 36CF album i had really high hopes for this CD when i heard it was to be released. I was however happy to hear that this album is extremly well written and delivered. A lot of the songs on this Cd have the drummer singing, which was not the case with the previous albums. A new singer is a risky move where any band is concerned, but for this new singer to also play the drums can be a huge gamble. I don't acutally know the guys name, but i can say he's pulled it off fantastically.A mix of his amazing melodic singing and a seperate guy who does the screaming blended with the highly technical guitars makes for great listen. The three highligh tracks for me are "Ex's and Oh's", "We Stand Up" and the outro "Untitled Finale" which is the best outro to an album i've ever heard.

If you actually bothered to read this, thanks.

Jeff316
02-25-2007, 08:19 PM
I listen to a shit load of music the last one I listen to all the way through was A wilhelm screams Mute print.

WebDudette
02-25-2007, 08:57 PM
You are an idiot.

I'm still listening to The Blow a ton. Usually, when I first discover a band I really like I listen to them alot for mabey a month then I listen to them a lot less. That's not the case with The Blow.

Poor Aim: Love Songs - The Blow

The first album by The Blow I heard was Paper Television, it was the best thing I had heard in a while, I didn't think anything from The Blow could possibly be better. Then I got my hands on Poor Aim: Love Songs, it's 17 minutes of pure awesome. If you like catchy music that is easy to listen to and understandable lyrics you should definetly check out this CD. I'm pretty much in love with Khaela Maricich voice. "The Sky Opened Wide Like The Tide" and "Come Petunia" are my favorite tracks.

5/5!

Plague Soundscapes - The Locust

This is basically the exact opposite of Poor Aim:Love Songs. It's full minute long songs that have sentence length titles. It's loud, fast and full of inditiguishable lyrics. I usually have to be in a certain mood to listen to this. My favorites are "Live From The Russian Compound", " Earwax Halo Manufactured For The Champion In All Of Us", "Priest With The Sexually Transmitted Diseases, Get Out Of My Bed".

4/5.

There are my reviews, I really wish I could explain things better.

zacsta
02-26-2007, 02:55 AM
Metallica - Master Of Puppets
i dunno if i have to do like a review or anything but im not gonna cos im lazy.

Jakebert
02-26-2007, 03:23 AM
Then don't post.

Anyway, Sonic Youth- A Thousand Leaves.

A lot of Sonic Youth fans debate this album because it, at the time it came out, was incredibly different than anything they had done before it. It's a lot softer than the stuff they had been doing in the 90's, but still rooted in pop more than the stuff from the 80's.

I'm on the side of the fans that love it. I think the softer pop style is exactly what makes it so good, because even though it's toned town a little, it still has SY's definitive style on there to make it incredibly unique. The album has a very interesting mood that goes back and forth between dark and relaxing within seconds of each other. The songs perfectly build to tension and climax moments that are really easy to get wrapped up into.

Also, I'd like to take a full paragraph to talk about my favorite song on the album: "Hits of Sunshine (For Allen Ginsberg)". Most people couldn't picture Sonic Youth going psychadelic, but here it is, a 10 minute psychadelic jam session. Brilliantly written with a great groove, this song is impossible to not like. It starts out like any other Sonic Youth song: menacingly moody with a creepy undertone, then slowly evolves into a really interesting jam session that channels the 60's.

Betty
02-26-2007, 02:54 PM
I STILL have not been able to get into Sonic Youth. Like, every couple months I think that maybe my tastes have become diverse enough to give them another shot and I'll listen to a few songs... and... it just hasn't happened yet. Will keep trying.

Well, there's stuff I've been listening to lots in the past six months or so (Springsteen, Petty, Morrison (Van), The John Butler Trio, The Golden Dogs, Paul Westerberg, Rod Stewart, Elliott Smith, Belle and Sebastian...) but I won't talk about that, I'll go with the pretty recent stuff.

The Decemberists - The Crane Wife
This has been mentionned, but I want to add that I LOVE IT, it's so incredibly good. It's so good in fact that I accidentally almost ordered it again from Amazon before remembering that I had just bought it at the CD store a few days before. Yeah, I know. I wasn't really going to add anything to that, but then I was thinking that I don't particularly like Jakebert's review all that much. The bands that apparently blend together to create this "Decemberists" sound are pretty random. R.E.M.? Sufjan Stevens? How long has Sufjan Stevens been around? How long have the Decemberists been around? Somehow I just don't feel very comfortable with that comparison, particuarly since they don't really sound all that much alike in the first place. Anyway, aside from that, I'll also say that probably my favourite part of the album are the rock departures, when I heard "Perfect Crime No. 2" I was so pumped up and that's when I decided I liked the album. But I mean, if that's all they did, they wouldn't sound like the Decemberists anymore, so it's really cool that the different styles blend so well. Also, I think the flow is just great, with everything merging together nicely... there are only a weak couple songs about 2/3 through the album. Either that or I just haven't grown to like them yet.

I'm From Barcelona - Let Me Introduce My Friends
So I pretty much randomly downloaded this one and I LOVE IT. I think you would like it Claiborne, even though you didn't say much about the song I sent you and just made fun of me instead. It is a series of super HAPPY, catchy, silly songs with ridiculous lyrics regarding building treehouses, and having the chicken pox, and collecting stamps. Oh, and making mix tapes. There are maybe something like 10 songs on the album, and about 5 of them are just fantastic. The rest are just meh, but since it starts out with two great ones that get stuck in my head, I always want to start it over once it's done to listen to the first song and then just end up listening to the whole thing again, and then end up listening to the CD about 6 times in a row while singing and dancing. It's one of those albums.

Mando Diao - Ode to Ochrasy
Downloaded this cause of Tizz. I think the appeal of indie (pop) rock is slowly starting to lose it's novelty for me since I've started delving back into the classic rock again. There's so much variation in the genre, but it still all kinda has that same vague sound to it. Anyway, this is one of the albums I like a decent amount, at least for the time being. It rocks out pretty hard and there are a lot of solid songs on it.

The Clash
My boyfriend has decided to become obsessed with London Calling, an album that I discovered and fairly thoroughly enjoyed somewhere in mid to late high school. So I've been rekindling my love of that one. I've always considered myself a Clash fan, mostly due to London Calling being awesome, and having dance parties to incredible songs like "Train in Vain" or "Rock the Casbah" or "Should I Stay or Should I Go?" when I'm drunk. The only other album I've owned was the S/T album, which is of course a classic punk album. So I've finally decided it's time to check out the rest of their catalogue, and I think probably the biggest next thing to get acquainted with is "Sandinista!" I think I'm ready. Listened to that a few times, and wow. There's a lot going on. Funk, reggae, little punkrock but not much, gospel, jazz, dub, 80's synthiness... The thing is, out of the 36 songs, I like a lot of them, and am intrigued by a lot more. And I fell in love with one, "One More Time," and if you know what it's like to fall in love with a song the first time you hear it, it's pretty awesome. And the BEST part about it was that right after it is the song "One More Dub," so as I'm just about to click the back button and play it again, I get a second helping of it anyway. Awesome. Overall, I'm gonna classify it as an album that makes me want to listen to it again, not necessarily due to outright catchiness, but because I'm too intrigued by what I just heard.

Nina Simone
African female artist. Yeah, definitely not something I'd typically listen to, but I've been dabbling in a bit of it, mostly through various compilation albums. She does jazz, soul, gospel, that kinda thing. I think she has a great raspy voice, which is the type I love, but the reason I keep coming back to her are the songs. She does a bunch of jazzy piano driven songs and they are awesome, I love them. Every once in a while I appreciate one of the slower vocal driven songs as well, but pretty much I only really get into maybe 1/3 of the songs, so I think I'm gonna make myself a mix CD of stuff I like. Anyway, my favourite if you're interested in hearing anything, is "Sinnerman". Awesome song.

Original prankstA
02-26-2007, 03:00 PM
rancid -and out come the wolves

I've been listening to it continually for almost a month now I'd say and still can't get enough. there's only 1 or 2 songs I skip most of the time. It's a repetitive album, but I really like what they repeat and it's just a fun album altogether. that's kind of short but I don't have anything else to say

Bazza
02-26-2007, 04:45 PM
Teenage Kicks Vol. 1 and 2

An eclectic mix of old-school punk/rock/prog-rock/indie and more. Some classic tunes on these CDs, including The Clash, The Stranglers, Buzzcocks, Sham 69, Blondie, Boomtown Rats and many more. All the songs are classics and easily recognisable, a definite sing-a-long album.

Ninty Man
02-26-2007, 05:40 PM
Now???

The Best of both worlds, Disc 2

Mota Boy
02-26-2007, 10:35 PM
Teddybears - Soft Machine

I bought this for the long drive down to New Orleans and back again last week, and it's some fantastic driving music. Perfect for blasting down the interstate at ninety on a sunny day or neon-infused night. The songs are very simple, very poppy dance tracks with an electronic bent. Since the groups a dance music group, all the vocals are provided by guest spots, so no two songs sound the same, though they all fit the same mood. A few are more faster-paced than others, but even the softer ones are just perfect for driving around in warm weather with the windows down. Obviously, some are better than others, and unfortunately, there are several instrumental tracks. Though they're still good, they're not nearly as catchy or rockable as the ones with vocals. Ultimately, I think there are six or seven really good songs on the CD interspaced with a few weaker ones, but those strong songs alone make the CD worth it.

Jakebert
02-27-2007, 03:30 AM
R.E.M.? Sufjan Stevens?

You can't hear the R.E.M. style-guitar part of "O Valencia!" or "Yankee Bayonett"? They both sound like "Out of Time"-era R.E.M.

The Sufjan Stevens thing comes more in the folksy stuff..."Sons and Daughters" sounds like it could have come straight from Illinois. The lyrics kind of sound similar to Sufjan as well. And, it doesn't matter how long someone has been around for it to influence another band, or for another band to share similarities. They could have been influenced by the same thing or something.

Nina
02-27-2007, 04:28 AM
I like mainstream music, and you better deal with it.

No Doubt - The Singles 1992-2003

Although I didnt know much about their music I was never too keen on them, I thought they were too average for my taste. But when I had the opportunity to buy this CD for less than 5 incl.shipping, I thought I could give it a try. Needless to say I only knew 6 of 15 songs.

The songs I knew were: Just A Girl, Hey Baby, Hella Good, Underneath It All, Don't Speak and Ex-Girlfriend. I like the underlined tracks. The rest I consider horribly dull and/or boring, which is pretty much perfect for "background music" (= the music I listen to while I do something I have to slightly concentrate on).

Now to the songs I didnt know. It's My Life is one of their best songs. I like the music and the vocals. Sunday Morning is pretty. Simple Kind Of Life is actually good. The rest, however, I dont care much for, although I've listened to the entire CD very, very often by now.

Altogether I consider No Doubt an average band with fun moments. The CD is worth it if you -quite obviously- like their singles and dont care for their weird stuff (non-released-songs of theirs ARE indeed weird). However, the CD is perfect to chill to. If you like that kinda stuff, buy the CD.

Christina Aguilera - Back To Basics

I never really got into her self-titled album, but I pretty much adored her second Album Stripped, which is why I've always considered myself a true fan of hers. Thus I was litterally waiting for this album to come out. After four years it finally did.

I'm looking forward to writing this review because I know her music is not of this board's taste, but I *really* think you should give it a try. It's different and great.

My first impression of the album was disappointment, as weird as that may sound. I have to admit, it is difficult to get used to at first, but I knew that before, since it was the same with Stripped, so I didnt let the disappointment get to me.

She is by far the best vocalist out there. I personally do not know any singer who can sing the way she does. She has this incredible range, and her haters -who often dont know any songs other than the singles- dont seem to realize that. An album of hers pretty much shows that she can sing everything without it being difficult for her at all. It's absolutely amazing and makes me wish I was as gifted as her.

The album has this circus kind of vibe to it. Since it's a double-disc-album it has two intros, and both of them remind the listener of an introduction to a circus show. The music is mostly inspired by music of the 30-50s; it's incredibly catchy and emotional.
Examples for that are Slow Down Baby, On Our Way and Mercy On Me.
Songs that remind me a LOT on the 20s are Nasty Naughty Boy and I Got Trouble.
The most emotional songs are probably Hurt, Mercy On Me, Oh Mother and Save Me From Myself. While the first two are quite high-energy, the last one is a very quiet song about how her husband saves her from herself everyday.
Next to a dedication to her fans (Thank You) she also has incredibly catchy dance songs (Candyman, Ain't No Other Man), a very, very strong song about her position in the media (Still Dirrty) and a few songs to chill to (Back In The Day, F.U.S.S. and Without You).

As you can see, this album pretty much has everything. I can listen through it and not get bored in the least bit. There is no "pattern" other than the obvious (her voice). The music is not just inspired by a certain decade. It's certainly not modern dance music, but it's not only based on the 50s, either.

My favorite songs are: Mercy On Me, Hurt, Nasty Naughy Boy and Understand.

nieh
02-27-2007, 05:39 AM
You can't hear the R.E.M. style-guitar part of "O Valencia!" or "Yankee Bayonett"? They both sound like "Out of Time"-era R.E.M.

The Sufjan Stevens thing comes more in the folksy stuff..."Sons and Daughters" sounds like it could have come straight from Illinois. The lyrics kind of sound similar to Sufjan as well. And, it doesn't matter how long someone has been around for it to influence another band, or for another band to share similarities. They could have been influenced by the same thing or something.

The Decemberists probably draw more influence from Neutral Milk Hotel than either of those bands.

Nina
02-27-2007, 08:25 AM

That's awful. Did he know what he was doing or was it just like "woops I'm being clumsy! too bad. oh well".

Marco
02-28-2007, 10:42 AM
Queen, Queen II, Sheer Heart Attack, Jazz - Queen
Rockin' the Joint - Aerosmith

All of them are very good.
All the Queen albums have to be listened at home, NOT in a car or in the city where there's a lot of noise. If not, you won't appreciate them.

As for Aerosmith...well, rock n' roll songs 100% and great power.

Lars
03-01-2007, 05:16 AM
I've not heard about this, but then it's fuckin punk so one would expect such debortuary!We wouldn't advertise something like that, nor will we ever deal in advertising or helping such a band ever. You coulud expect (possibly) to have water/beer/etc... spray onto your camera occasionaly maybe, but someone doing that on purpose is a cunt plain and simple. In the 100 or so shows I've filmed, I've only ever had a little bit of beer spray on my camera once, and that was completely accidental by someone I know reasonably well.

That's awful. Did he know what he was doing or was it just like "woops I'm being clumsy! too bad. oh well".It was on purpose.

I feel like I'm derailing this thread some. I should go listen to some album which I can write about in here.

0r4ng3
03-01-2007, 05:05 PM
I noticed that I've been listening to Reckoning Night by Sonata Arctica a lot. I guess by listening to their latest album, I'm getting prepared for Unia, which is coming out later this year.

I like how it sounds like Sonata Arctica, but it also doesn't. It has their style to it, but it's certainly heavier (and less melodic) than their previous 3 albums. Specifically, I've been listening to "Misplaced", "Ain't Your Fairlytale", "Don't Say A Word", "Wildfire" (even though I skip the 45-second intro), and "The Boy Who Wanted To Be A Real Puppet".

adombomb222
03-01-2007, 07:44 PM
I've been listening to some of the songs off Billy Talent II(2). I've haven't yet bought it - but I am this weekend - I've been listen to a few songs I got off Itunes. So far the album is great, there is something that draws my attention to the vocals. I love the song "Devil In A Midnight Mass" and "Fallen Leaves" which I find very addicting. Since I've recently gotten into this band i dont know much about them or thier music but These few songs along with; "Red Flag", "River Below"(Billy Talent[1]), and "Try Honestly"(Billy Talent[1]) this band has found its way into my music collection (soon that is). Once I listen to it over a few times and read the lyrics I'll give(add on) my in-depth review.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
03-01-2007, 07:52 PM
My Chemical Romance. The only reason I made that post in the MCR thread naming my favorite songs is to get some more people into them. They're AMAZING live, and it'd be a great idea to download "The Sharpest Lives", "Welcome To The Black Parade", and "You Know What They Do To Guys Like Us In Jail" to name a few.

Camel Filters
03-04-2007, 10:54 PM
Hurt - volume 1

Camel Filters
03-04-2007, 10:57 PM
My Chemical Romance. The only reason I made that post in the MCR thread naming my favorite songs is to get some more people into them. They're AMAZING live, and it'd be a great idea to download "The Sharpest Lives", "Welcome To The Black Parade", and "You Know What They Do To Guys Like Us In Jail" to name a few.

I have the black parade Cd. I like all the songs on it but I like "teenagers" the most because it's so true about teenagers.

Jakebert
03-05-2007, 05:55 PM
Cat Power- Moon Pix.

I am reletively new to Cat Power. She (yes, it's a she, not a band) is a fairly talented musician from what I've heard, and has a great soulful voice. She kind of is the female version of the Mountain Goats in a way.

I choose to make Moon Pix my first Cat Power album because I love the concept: an album about the moon. As someone who has a passing interest in astronomy, and is searching for the ultimate "night time" record, this was interesting to me.

The album was not disappointing. Incredibly moody and relaxing, it kind of has an almost dreamlike feeling to it. It does have the feeling I was looking for: the feeling of laying on your back in the grass and looking at the stars, only created through sound. It's the kind of thing that would be good for a nice drive home at 2:30 in the morning in the middle of the summer.

The only downside with the album, and all albums like this, is that if you're not in the mood to listen to something with a mood that specific, it can be tedious and dull. So it's not one of those albums that you can listen to no matter what mood you're in. But, luckily, the songs are so good at what they're supposed to do that it makes up for the fact that it's a "mood" album. Overall, I'd give it a 4.5/5. Not the ultimate nighttime record I'm hunting for, but certainly on the list.

Jakebert
03-14-2007, 11:40 AM
I love this thread. I don't know how people can neglect it like this. Anyway.

Bad Astronaut- Houston, We Have a Drinking Problem.

I've never been big on pop-punk, especially modern pop-punk. It's too unoriginal and predictable. But Bad Astronaut are luckily above that.

"Houston" was a huge surprise. I downloaded it about a year ago to see if I'd like it or not, and wasn't expecting much. But I found a fun, intelligent, and catchy album that is enjoyable to no end. The songs mix the simplicity of pop-punk with an acoustic/laid back style of indie rock that gives the album a unique feeling that I haven't heard much in recent years.

Also, my favorite part of the album is the fact that it mixes fun with intelligence. One of my biggest problems with pop-punk is that, when it comes down to it, it's dumb. It's a stupid, shallow genre and all of the songs are about sex, food, or poop jokes. The songwriters repeat themselves endlessly. Even the good bands. But Bad Astronaut don't do that. They take the fun elements of the music and mix them with a more mature, deep approach to it. Which I am endlessly thankful for.

5/5.

Offspring-Junkie
03-15-2007, 05:54 AM
the battle of LA by rage against the machine, great songs especially sleep now in the fire

Manic Subsidal Boy
03-15-2007, 05:59 AM
I was just listening to "I Love To Say Fuck" and thinking it's a little like Bad Habbit (Not really?) Now, Best Of Blondie.

Jakebert
03-15-2007, 03:25 PM
R.E.M.- Reveal.

This album was released in 2001, the first album since 98's "UP", and the second released without drummer Bill Berry. "UP" was characterized by it's dark, moody, and emotional style with layers upon layers, to make it incredibly challenging.

Reveal is a different take on "UP"'s layered electronics. Instead of creating barren, dark soundscapes, this album takes a more warm, lush approach. The music is more optimistic sounding, and is much lighter in mood.

The album's concept is an album that "sounds like summer", and it works. "The Lifting" sounds like a beautiful summer morning, "All the Way to Reno" sounds like the middle of a hot day, "She Just Wants to Be" sounds like the evening, and "Saturn Return" is the perfect song to listen to alone at 2 AM in the middle of July. The rest of the songs work similarly, but those are the ones that accomplish their jobs the best.

Musically, it does have some flaws. "I've Been High" and "Summer Turns to High" are both basically filler tracks that rely way too heavily on the overproduction of the album rather than any melody or arrangement. "Beachball" is just plain cheesy, and while "She Just Wants to Be" starts out great, it quickly becomes repetative and dull.

The production hurts it in some places also. While the big production works on songs like "Saturn Return" and "Imitation of Life", songs like "Disappear" and "I'll Take the Rain" would sound better if they were stripped down some to make room for the guitar. But, as whole, the songs work fairly well, and are on par with most R.E.M. classics.

Lyrically, it's as good as up, even if it's not as immediate. The songs are much more relaxed in theme, but there's still some gems on there. The lyrical theme is about that wonderous time between childhood and adulthood, when you have no fucking idea what you are. "Imitation of Life", "Reno", "Saturn Return", "Beat a Drum", and "I'll Take the Rain" all take this idea to brilliant new levels. "Imitation of Life" is one of my favorite metaphors for youth. Also, "Beat a Drum" could be some of my favorite R.E.M. lyrics ever.

4/5.

wheelchairman
03-18-2007, 08:36 AM
Recently I bought Franz Ferdinand's "You Could Have It So Much Better"

It's a really enjoyable album. The humor is rather tongue in cheek. With what sounds like a pop love song is the singer sing "I love the sound of you walking away, it's oh so cold but not as cold as you are."

"Won't you walk away? The sun won't swallow the sky".

The album is really generally enjoyable in my opinion. It was one of my favorite new albums, but I realized it was released like 3 years ago, so I just have no perception of time.

Zee
03-19-2007, 01:09 PM
The Knob - Thirteen Ways To Go

http://koti.mbnet.fi/theknob/EtukansiKNOBFINAL.JPG

Oh my, probably the best album for a while I have listened to, awesome. The mixing is perfect, couldn't be better sounds. If you're interested enough you can check out this (http://www.offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11188) thread about the band.

Grabbal
03-19-2007, 01:19 PM
Could you upload the album Zee??

Zee
03-19-2007, 01:25 PM
I'm afraid not, I respect the band and from me you will not get the songs, I hope you understand. I suggest you to buy the album, honestly it IS awesome. I guess you have heard the two songs that the band put available? First One and Broken Arrow? Anyway, if you're seriously interested of it put some message at the thread at your band section that you would like to get it.

Jakebert
03-19-2007, 03:35 PM
I know mine tend to be long and rambling, but I love writing these.

Neutral Milk Hotel- In the Aeroplane Over the Sea. 5/5.

Every genre of music has it's classics. And for alternative/indie rock, this is without a doubt one of the best. Recorded in the mid 90's, when alt. rock was essentially reduced to being generic mainstream crap like Third Eye Blind and Gin Blossoms, NMH came out with a beautifully well-written album that proves once again what the genre was all about in the first place.

Lyrically, "Aeroplane" is a concept album about the Holocaust, specifically the events in "The Diary of Anne Frank". This alone makes me love the album, because they look at such a horrific and tragic even in human history, and manage to make some really moving lyrics about it without indulging in cheesy, cliched garbage. Songs like "Two Headed Boy", "Holland, 1945" and "Ghost" all manage to take horrific events and see beauty of the emotion in them, kind of like a really sad movie.

Musically, the album is a hodgepodge of everything that is great about alt. rock. From heavily distorted rockers like "Holland, 1945" to soft, sweet folk melodies like "In the Aeroplane Over the Sea", the album has a great sense of diversity along with a great sense of overall structure. The songs are catchy and simple without being unoriginal and dull. The other thing I love on the album is the distortion on the heavier tracks. It's hard to describe, but the distortion sounds different than I've heard on an album like this. It's something more fitting for Sleep or Electric Wizard, but they make it work in the confines of a simple-pop rock song.

As far as single songs go: even if you don't listen to the album based on this little rant, I think everyone should at least hear "Two Headed Boy", which is easily in my top 5 favorite songs of all time. To me, it's everything that makes the album great put into a single song.

coke_a_holic
03-19-2007, 04:22 PM
Sufjan Stevens - Illinois

Yes, I finally gave in and started listening to a lot of pretentious indie music, this being my first purchased step (I started off with a friend's mix tape of The New Pornographers, Broken Social Scene, and The Dandy Warhols). I absolutely love this record. Stevens does everything I want to, though a bit more peacefully, and with more precision. I would like to become a one-man music machine, so this record drew me to it from the beginning. The only problem I have with the record is the "Illinoise Maker Chorus" sounds kinda weak in some places, when it would be better with less... androgynous children singing. That's what they sound like to me, but the rest of the cd is brilliant and beautiful. Chicago and They Are Night Zombies!! are my two favorites, though John Wayne Gacy, Jr. sends shivers down my spine whenever I listen to it. I fucking love him and plan on downloading even more.

While we're at it, any other indie bands I should get into besides the aforementioned ones? I plan on downloading some Arcade Fire, Belle & Sebastion, and Neutral Milk Hotel (I'll probably get the above album; thanks, Jakebert!), so any other suggestions are welcome as I'm a newcomer to the whole indie thing.

Jakebert
03-19-2007, 04:38 PM
As far as Sufjan goes, I strongly reccomend "Michigan" as your next one from him. Even though most people see it the other way, I think it's better than Illinois. It's more of the "John Wayne Gacy" type songs, which tend to be my favorites of his. And from your review, I get the feeling that you also prefer the more stripped down stuff.

nieh
03-19-2007, 04:56 PM
I think every album Sufjan has done has been better than the one before, including the outtakes album from Illinois. If you want to get into other indie rock, check out:
Minus the Bear - their They Make Beer Commercials Like This EP is the best place to start
The Dismemberment Plan - if you take the best songs off their last two albums and put them on one disc, it would be the best thing ever. Check out The Other Side (my favorite song ever), The City, Time Bomb, and Following Through. Their earlier stuff was more spazzy/post-punk/funky stuff (check out That's so You and Manipulate Me)
The Cardigans - Yes, the band that did Lovefool. Their early stuff (most specifically their album "Life") was fantastic indie/bubblegummy/jazzy/pop. I'm not much of a fan of their later stuff. They did a sort of trip-hop kind of thing for one album, then went country and I'm not really sure what they're up to now.
Cursive - I think you've already heard a bit of their stuff. I'm of the opinion that their best stuff gets better with every album but their albums get more and more spotty every time. Their older stuff was more hardcore/emo but they've gone a bit poppier.
Pinback - They're normally pretty mellow but with lots of neat guitar interplay and layers and shifts. Check out Penelope, B, Manchuria, and Offline P.K.
Notwist - Neon Golden is the only album I have by them but it's quite good. It's mellow indie mixed with electronic/techno production. The only song I can remember the name of is Pilot and it's as good a place to start as any.
Sunny Day Real Estate - Check out Seven, Pillars and Rain Song. One song each from their first, third and last albums.

In An Aeroplace Over the Sea is one of the most overrated albums ever.

Jakebert
03-19-2007, 05:01 PM
I'll ignore the last part, since this thread is too good to ruin with arguing.

But, while we're on the subject of indie: what's a good Iron and Wine album to start out with?

XYlophonetreeZ
03-19-2007, 05:32 PM
As far as Sufjan goes, I strongly reccomend "Michigan" as your next one from him. Even though most people see it the other way, I think it's better than Illinois. It's more of the "John Wayne Gacy" type songs, which tend to be my favorites of his. And from your review, I get the feeling that you also prefer the more stripped down stuff.
From what I've heard, I completely agree with this. I've heard neither album in full, but I definitely think his stripped-down stuff is better and more listenable. That doesn't mean that the Illinois/Avalanche stuff isn't well-written, because it definitely is, but it's just a little too heavily layered for my liking. "The Upper Peninsula" and "Holland" specifically are two of the most beautiful songs I know of.

XYlophonetreeZ
03-19-2007, 05:37 PM
Belle & Sebastion
Either get their first two albums or their latest two albums. The stuff in the middle was too experimental and not as good. I'd probably say that on the whole, Dear Catastrophe Waitress is their most solid album. I'd recommend that one.

If it's individual songs you're after, try "Me and the Major," "Get Me Away from Here, I'm Dying," "Piazza, New York Catcher," "I'm a Cuckoo," and "Another Sunny Day."

nieh
03-19-2007, 05:43 PM
From what I've heard, I completely agree with this. I've heard neither album in full, but I definitely think his stripped-down stuff is better and more listenable. That doesn't mean that the Illinois/Avalanche stuff isn't well-written, because it definitely is, but it's just a little too heavily layered for my liking. "The Upper Peninsula" and "Holland" specifically are two of the most beautiful songs I know of.

Seven Swans came out between Michigan and Illinois and is probably his most stripped down album. I like it a lot more than Michigan.

Ninty Man
03-19-2007, 09:40 PM
Recipe for hate and thje empire strikes first

Jakebert
03-21-2007, 03:41 AM
Ben Folds- Rockin' the Suburbs. 3.5/5.

I love Ben Folds. He's a smartass who uses that to actually convey some kind of point, instead of just being a smartass for the sake of it. Kind of like the musical version of Stephen Colbert or Jon Stewart, only less topical and more emotional. Also, I love the piano. It's one of my favorite instruments, and seeing someone use it in a non-cheesy and even sometimes inventive way makes me happy to no end.

Musically, the album is a lot more laid back than the stuff he did with the Ben Folds Five. It's more based in simple pop than the piano take on rock 'n roll that he was known for with the Five. I both styles a lot, but the problem with the pop stuff is that it makes some of the songs seem a little forgettable. It's not that they're bad, but they just don't stand out. But, there are a few classics here. The opening trio of "Annie Waits", "Zak and Sara", and "Still Fighting It" are 3 of my favorite Ben Folds songs. "Fred Jones, Pt. 2" shows off the depth that Folds has that usually gets ignored by most critics, and is just beautiful when it comes down to it.

The lyrics are more serious than he's known for, which I like. There's still signs of the old smartass with songs like "The Ascent of Stan", a great song about an aging rocker, and "Zak and Sara", about a loveless couple and white boys dancing. But the core of the album are the serious songs like "Fred Jones" and "Still Fighting It" that show off a new side of Folds that I love.

And even though I hated it at first, I have to say the title track has grown on me. A great satirical look at nu metal and post-grunge. Ben makes fun of things that needed to be made fun of when the album came out in 2001. The music kind of sucks, but it's supposed to sound like what it's making fun of, so it's excusable.

Manic Subsidal Boy
03-21-2007, 05:10 AM
I'm not gonna rate it.

In God We Trust, Inc. [EP] Dead Kennedys

Mota Boy
04-09-2007, 06:11 PM
Kings of Leon - Because of the Times

I haven't been this excited about an album in some time. Because of the Times sounds refreshingly new, yet is very simple. Much like Aha Shake Heartbreak, the guitars often play about in the background, content to provide a beat or an accompaniment rather than grabbing center stage. However, this CD is much more consistent, instead of an empty song like "Milk" played back-to-back with the relatively crowded "Bucket", the songs on BotT generally seem to have the same feeling of a slight disjointedness, with several quiet beats and subtle, simple rifts. Even when "Black Fingernails" is relatively packed with shredding rifts, it's produced to sound a bit far away or outside, so that it's a little rougher and less oppressive than much other rock.

What really hit me today was just how much this music is definite Southern rock. The lead singer's voice has the lazy Southern drawl dragging out the lyrics, "Trunk" is downright bluesy while gospel influences show up in "The Runner". And throughout the CD, the guitars twang just as much as Followill's voice.

The CD starts off with the seven-minute plus "Knocked Up", a song that's open and empty as hell, yet pulls you along, building along to occasional outbursts but ultimately choosing fading away over burning out. It then cuts to "Charmer", which is the most completely steady song on the CD, but a bit jarring by the lead singer's frequent, piercing, high-pitched screams which they could've done without and almost make it unlistenable. Then comes "On Call", the first single and the song with the quickest-catching hooks, is one of the more radio-friendly songs, but still done on the Kings own terms. Then, well, I don't feel like running down each song, let's just say they continue to kick ass. You should, at the very least, check it out.

Jakebert
04-09-2007, 09:07 PM
Sonic Youth- Daydream Nation.

The other day, I was asked what Sonic Youth album a new fan should start out with. After minutes of thinking, I arrived at this one. To me, this album is the perfect bridge of Sonic Youth's career: the album mixes the dissodent noise-rock of their earlier career, and the grungy pop of their 90's work. The album remains difficult and accessable at the same time. There's a perfect mixture of arty stuff and pop stuff.

Sorry the review isn't as good as other ones, but I'm tired.

Marco
04-09-2007, 11:15 PM
Carnival of Sins - Motley Crue
Very good live album of glam rock. I like it. 7.9/10

Lover of Life, Singer of Songs - Freddie Mercury
Absolutley awesome. Wonderful songs, also with remixes, and it's never boring. I give it a 10/10

F@ BANKZ
04-10-2007, 10:28 AM
Agent orange: Blood Stained Greatest Hitz

not good at reviews so ill just say very good.

Llamas
04-10-2007, 12:10 PM
Streets: A Rock Opera - Savatage

This is the best rock opera I've ever heard (though TSO's "Beethoven's Last Night" is a very close second. Yes, I have a thing for progressive rock bands and their operas). The story is really well written, the script works so well, and I am able to picture it being put on stage. I personally think that, if you're going to make a rock opera, you'd better have DAMN good lyrics. I've always been impressed, because not only are the lyrics awesome, but Savatage wrote what I think are their best lyrics ever for this album. There isn't a weak song on this album, and each song is good enough to stand on its own.

The heavy tracks really get me going, while the ballads make me swoon. "Believe" is the best song the band has ever written, with spectacular lyrics, creative chord progressions, swift tempo changes, powerful vocals, and strong instrumentation. It's the perfect ending to a perfect album.

easily 10/10

Jakebert
04-10-2007, 12:25 PM
Alkaline Trio- Remains. 4/5.

I generally try to stay away from b-side albums, since they're usually incredibly inconsistant. But, I figured since AK3 is famous for recording stuff for EP's, compilations, and everything else that I'd give this a try.

Overall, it's pretty consistant. There's not a huge amount of variety in their music, so the album flows pretty good despite the fact that the songs weren't recorded at the same time. The songs are pretty catchy and well written for the most part, with a few generic pop-punk songs thrown in there. But even those are pretty enjoyable given the context.

The highlights are finally getting Hell Yes, Standard Break From Life, and Jaked on Green Beers on a proper AK3 release. The low points are the uneccessary live tracks at the end, and the EP version of Sadie, which just sounds like a lazy demo.

Llamas
04-10-2007, 12:26 PM
Alkaline Trio- Remains. 4/5.

I generally try to stay away from b-side albums, since they're usually incredibly inconsistant. But, I figured since AK3 is famous for recording stuff for EP's, compilations, and everything else that I'd give this a try.

Overall, it's pretty consistant. There's not a huge amount of variety in their music, so the album flows pretty good despite the fact that the songs weren't recorded at the same time. The songs are pretty catchy and well written for the most part, with a few generic pop-punk songs thrown in there. But even those are pretty enjoyable given the context.

The highlights are finally getting Hell Yes, Standard Break From Life, and Jaked on Green Beers on a proper AK3 release. The low points are the uneccessary live tracks at the end, and the EP version of Sadie, which just sounds like a lazy demo.

Can you PLLLLLEEEEEASE upload it for me? I would love you forever.

Jakebert
04-10-2007, 12:31 PM
I would love to, but I have dial-up, so it'd take me about 3 days to do all of that. If you have Soulseek, you could download them from me, but it'd take just as long. Sorry.

Llamas
04-10-2007, 12:44 PM
I can't use file sharing programs... my internet cut me off from them. :( Damn it... maybe someone else has it.

offy
04-10-2007, 12:45 PM
At the moment, I'm particularly fond of "Chimaira" with their new album "Resurrection".
Chimaira is a band I would classify as Metalcore, though some also claim to notice a slight influence of Thrash Metal. My favorite songs are "Killing the beast" (especially because of the clean vocals part in the middle of the song) and "Resurrection". If you like this band, you should also try "Bleed The Sky" and the other way round.

It might sound funny, but I always listen to Chimaira when I jog outside, because the rhythm mostly stays the same during one song and it gives you the power to hold on for very long time. Try it ;)

0r4ng3
04-10-2007, 02:30 PM
Coincidentally enough, I downloaded Remains yesterday. I can upload it later.

Llamas
04-10-2007, 03:44 PM
Yessss. Marry me?

0r4ng3
04-10-2007, 05:25 PM
Sure, why not.

Do you want the album as a ".rar" file or should I just upload the songs individually?

Llamas
04-10-2007, 05:37 PM
Either is fine. I assume rar/zip is easier for you, so do that.

0r4ng3
04-10-2007, 06:42 PM
Well I tried a rar file, but after an hour, Savefile told me "no empty files". So, I'm going to do individual songs. This could take a while.

Edit:

http://www.savefile.com/projects/668050

Harnum
04-10-2007, 06:50 PM
Currently listening to Wolfmother - S/T. Pretty cool album, great band, etc.

wheelchairman
05-16-2007, 08:59 AM
I bought the Le Tigre self-titled album today. It was on sale and I liked Eau d'Bedroom Dancing. Personally I was expecting a feminist band to be far more grating to my sensitive male mind. But mostly I enjoy listening to it. The politics in the lyrics get as far as listing bands and people they like, and talking about sex in every other song, which i something music has done forever.

It's easy listening music. I think I like the song My My Metrocard the best. None of the other songs are anything like Eau D'Bedroom Dancing but that's not really annoying.

One thing that bothers me, is that can't possibly be the way you pronounce "Cassavetes".

Nina
05-18-2007, 04:59 PM
This one isnt surprising..

Justin Timberlake - FutureSex/LoveSound

I've had this album for a while now, but I feel like you cant write a review on an album unless you've listened to it for a while. I'd be interested to know how other people handle that.

The album starts off pretty sweet. FutureSex/LoveSound is a "groovy" song; it makes you be in a specific mood that I cant really explain. I like it, but I cant listen to it if I need a fun and/or happy song. In that case I skip to Sexyback. I doubt I need to explain that one to you.

The Prelude to My Love (Let Me Talk To You) is hella catchy and just makes you want to dance like crazy. I love it. The word catchy is actually quite fitting for this album in general. The beat of My Love is outstanding and amazing. I love it. aaaallwwaayss makes you move your body.

Lovestoned/I Think She Knows is one of those songs that grew on me the more I listened to it (meep, that's why I'm writing the review now). Especially I Think She Knows gives me goosebumps. It's really beautiful.

What Goes Around Comes Back Around is one of my favorite songs, and I think it'll stay like that forever. The melodies are exactly to my taste. It's absolutely beautiful and gives me shivers down my spine.

While Chop Me Up and Summer Love a medicore (but loveable) summer songs, Damn Girl always lights up my mood. Not many songs can do that, so it deserves credit, period.

The last two songs (Losing My Way and Boutique in Heaven) are kind of saddening/slow, but I love how they're perfect to fall asleep to. By the end of the CD I want to sleep instead of listen closely.

As a whole, I'd give the CD a 7/10. It's basically all I listen to lately, but unfortunatly only 2 or 3 songs really stand out. The rest is average.

Llamas
05-18-2007, 05:05 PM
I can't really reply much to the album review (I have the album, but can't get into it at all), but I do agree with what you said about listening to an album for a while. Most of the time, my initial reaction to an album is not my actual opinion. I remember, for instance, when I got System of a Down's "Mezmerize", I hated it after 2 listens. I wrote a livejournal or something about how bad it was and how I was never gonna listen to it again. A few weeks later, I was listening to it like every day and decided it was their best album, haha. Now that I'm "used to" it, I realize that I think it's good in its own way (I disliked it originally because it didn't sound like them), but it's not nearly their best. So you really do have to *listen* to it and not just react to it. :)

On that note, I bought two CDs today, but I need to give them some time before I review them.

Nina
05-18-2007, 05:11 PM
Oh, I'd actually really like to know why you think Mezmerize doesnt sound like SOAD. I'm not sure, I havent formed an opinion on that yet. But I LOVE that album. I actually started listening to it again yesterday, first time in a couple months.

Llamas
05-18-2007, 05:54 PM
I have nothing better to do, and I'm listening to SOAD... I'm gonna write a review on Mezmerize now.

First off, I'm sort of a strange fan of SOAD. I heard of them in a really weird way. One day in 1998, I was sitting in class, and my friend Matt wanted to look through my CD wallet. I left class, and in study hall, I opened the wallet to find two new CDs in it. One was Limp Bizkit - Three Dollar Bill, Y'all, and the other was blank (they were both burned CDs). I didn't know who either album was, so I listened to each in my CD player that day. I didn't really go for the LB one, but I fell in love with the blank one, and it was the first metal album I ever liked. I found out a few days later who it was, but that didn't even matter. I just loved this mysterious album. So I have a very strange love for the self-titled CD. Now, with that said, on to Mezmerize.

When I first heard Cigaro on the radio, it just struck me as a really generic and typical metal song. I was sad SOAD released it, but figured the album would be better. I then heard BYOB on the radio, and liked it, so I had hope. Then I bought the album.

Like I said before, I hated it. I even gave it two listens and still hated it. I wanted to take it back for my money. I've never felt that way about an album before. If I didn't think the term "selling out" was so lame and overused, I would've used it to describe this album. SOAD saw their biggest success with their ballads like "Spiders" and "Aerials", and I remember reading after the success of "Aerials", Daron saying in an interview that they were probably gonna make their next album more melodic. I was unsure as to what that meant, but whatever. Well, they took melody overboard. They stuck Daron on lead vocals too much, and I personally (as well as other people I know) think he's a great harmonizer, but does not have a voice for melody. The songs on the album were too smooth, and the songs Daron took lead on just didn't feel structured like SOAD songs. It seemed like they knew this, and so on Serj's songs, it felt like he tried too hard to compensate for that; some of the songs ended up being all over the place.

The worst song on the album is "Old School Hollywood". Daron's voice really annoyed me in that song, it was repetitive (which was territory I don't remember the band EVER touching before on earlier albums), it overused electronica, and the lyrics were horrible. And in general, it didn't sound like system. If I'd heard that on the radio before hearing this album, I would not have known it was them... in a bad way. My rating for this song is 3/10.

"Lost in Hollywood" also did not sound like them, but I liked it. That is the only song Daron sings lead on that I like. The harmonization between Daron and Serj is phenomenal, and the song is pretty well-structured. Plus I enjoy the guitar part in the song. This song gets a 9.5/10 (the lyrics weren't really good enough for a 10).

Now that the two songs that really did not sound like SOAD are out of the way, onto the rest.

Soldier Side Intro - I thought it was a really nice intro for the album, with great harmonies, and it only got better once I bought "Hypnotize" and heard the actual song of "Soldier Side".

BYOB - This song is a nice system song, and does actually sound like them. However, it did feel a bit forced. Their style does include being unpredictable and clever, but it really felt like they were forcing it to do that in this song. Lyrically, it's good, but the topic is so overdone and kinda cliche. I really enjoy the chorus, though. One of the best songs on the album. 8/10.

Revenga - the lead in from BYOB resolving to the intro to Revenga is so awesome, and I love that. This is possibly my favorite song on the album. I love when Serj does the crazy rapping off of lyrics like this, especially when it's not for the whole song. This song also did a good job of being unpredictable without sounding forced. The "I saw her laugh" part fits really well, and brings the song to a pretty intermission. And the conclusion is great. There isn't anything to dislike about this song. 10/10.

Cigaro - Well, I already kinda covered this one. Generic metal song... I didn't like the lyrics, as they were typical anti-govt mockery... and Daron's voice got on my nerves. And it felt slightly repetitive (not nearly as bad as Old School Hollywood, though). 6/10.

Radio/Video - I love the waltz feel of this song, with the accordion and such... but it again touches the repetitiveness. I do love the harmonization when Serj is singing the "they take me away from" part and Daron is singing the "ah" in the background. There is an awesome slow breakdown, also. It really does bring forth their strong harmonization strengths, but still Daron's voice... yeesh. 7.5/10

This Cocaine Makes me Feel Like I'm on This Song - I generally like this song because it's one of the only songs on the album that really sounds like SOAD... but the problem is, it sounds like like one of the brush-over songs from earlier albums. It'd be one of my least favorites if it was on an earlier album... but on here, I like it. Lyrically it sucks, but Serj's voice is awesome and he's really diverse in the song. 8/10.

Violent Pornography - Generally a good song... I hated it when I first got the album, because it really doesn't sound like SOAD... but now I like it. It often gets in my head more than any other song on the album, and Serj's voice rocks for most of it. The harmonization isn't very good here... but that's okay. I generally like the lyrics in this one. However, it does really hit the "repetition" button. There is only a handful of lyrics in the entire song. The drumming in the song is really nice, though, and that helps make the repetition seem less repetitive. And the "ahh" during the second chorus makes it powerful. Without the awesome drumming, I'd give it 7.5, but with the drumming, it's brought to an 8, maybe 8.5/10.

Question! - This is a pretty good ballad for them. I never was big on "Aerials", but I think they have it in them to write good ballads. The harmonies in the chorus are rather creative, and Daron's voice sounds really nice. And this is more proof of why I love Serj. The song sounds kind of generic, but it's nice that they can pull of a generic song well. This is another song I really disliked when I first heard the album. 8.5/10

Sad Statue - I don't like this song. I never did. Every time this song comes on, I'm like, "great, time for two shitty songs in a row". It's boring, the harmonies in the verse annoy the shit out of me... the chorus is okay, but boring. There is nothing special in this song at all. It's not a pile of shit like the song after it, but it's about equal to Cigaro. And the lyrics are lame. 5/10.

My average rating for the album seems to be 7.4. Maybe I'll review Hypnotize later. I think I liked it more than this one. I really do love Lost in Hollywood, though... what a good song.

Llamas
05-20-2007, 04:14 PM
Okay so I'm listening to Hypnotize now and feel like reviewing it. It'll be shorter than Mezmerize.

Well you start out with "Lost In Hollywood" still ringing in your ears (at least I do cause I like to listen to them consecutively). Attack does exactly what the title says after such a song. I really enjoy this song a lot. It reminds me of something you might have heard on Toxicity, and I really love the half-time section of the song. I wish that Serj sang the slow part instead of Serj, though. I like the effects the guitars create in the song, and Serj's harmonies are quite nice. The lyrics are kind of average, but not bad. 9/10

I seriously LOVE Dreaming. The counter melody is so awesome, and just how the vocals are done in this song are incredible. I seriously adore the vocals. The music is nothing special, but I barely notice it anyway, since the vocals are so strong. I also really like the lyrics. The breakdown is well done, also... the harmonization during the "dreaming of screaming" part is so great. One of the two best songs on the album. 10/10

I'm really not a big fan of Kill Your Rock n Roll. I like the intro to it, but Daron's voice... it's just too much. The lyrics are great (rather funny), and the music is good, though. The harmonization is great during the beginning of the breakdown, but otherwise the breakdown is lame. 7/10

Hypnotize is good, if not generic and bland. It's got a good feel and sound, and it feels like it's really gonna go somewhere... but then it doesn't. The first time through the chorus, I'm liking the song... then I start to get bored during the second verse, as the rest of the song is the same. The music itself is good, and the melodies and harmonies are really nice, and they use a lot of really cool sounding guitar effects. 8/10

I could take or leaveStealing Society. It kind of blurs and I forget it pretty easily. I only really like the part that sounds really fun when Daron is singing "needles pcp and fast cars" with Serj singing the "la la" in the back. That part gets me interested. Basically the last minute of the song is quite good. 7/10

Tentative is quite up there for the album. I really love the chorus... and I love the lyrics and the harmonization. Plus Serj's voice is spectacular in this song. Oh, and a really strong breakdown here. 9.5/10

I'm quite a fan of U-Fig, though it's nothing hugely great. It's one of those "wtf is he saying??" things that I enjoy... and I like the flow and structure of the song. It's just a straight-up good soad song. Nothing really special here (though I do really enjoy the tiny little guitar solo in there), but it's well done. 8.5/10

Holy Mountains was the first song I heard off this album, and upon hearing it, I already knew I was gonna like it more than Mezmerize. It totally doesn't sound like a typical SOAD song at all (though you can tell it's them in the chorus), but it kicks ass. It's very powerful and I really love Serj's voice in it, plus the effects. And the harmonies at the chorus give me goosebumps. The song title is totally suiting for the song, and the lyrics are strong. And the last 2 minutes are really awesome. 9.5/10

I always giggle at Vicinity of Obscenity every time I hear it. It's not necessarily meant to be a funny song, but it's definitely worded so. Clearly about anal sex... I love the sound of the song, too. It's really fun. It makes me bob my head and just is fun. And Serj's voice is just insane and awesome. This is just a downright good fun SOAD song. 9/10

I don't really like She's Like Heroin all that much, particularly because Daron's voice is super annoying. I never realized until now that both Mezmerize and Hypnotize end with two rather bad songs and then one amazing song. Well this song is just not good, it's boring... etc. The chorus is decent, though. 7.5/10

Lonely Day is the most typical/normal song they've ever written. I would never be able to tell it was SOAD. The lyrics are really terrible. Daron's voice is decent/tolerable here, though nothing great. It's a nice tune, and I like the guitarwork in the song (nice solo), and I tend to sing along. I'm not tempted to skip it. 8/10

omg I love Soldier Side. This goes along with Dreaming for being the killer songs of the album. I love the dualism in vocals through this song, the guitar tone, the lyrics... It wraps up the album(s) really well, brings us back to the intro really well... it's smart, powerful... it doesn't really sound a lot like SOAD, but parts of it really do. The instrumental parts of the song are so damn good. I can't even explain it. I just totally love it. 10/10

My average for this album is 8.6. :) Too bad the band is on a hiatus. :(

Ninty Man
05-20-2007, 04:51 PM
The nightmare before christmas soundtrack...

If you don't like it, you are dead for me

loud_noises!
05-20-2007, 05:36 PM
The nightmare before christmas soundtrack...

If you don't like it, you are dead for me

good choice.

lately i've been listening to Converge's "you fail me" album and All That Remains' "The Fall Of Ideals". Both are great albums. You fail me has good vocals, guitar, and all that shit. I like all that remains because it's like killswitch engage, but just better. The vocals are better, the guitar, drums, etc.

Jakebert
05-20-2007, 06:34 PM
Pink Floyd- The Wall.

I haven't listened to this for about a year, and today I was curious why. And I figured it out pretty quickly.

While I love Pink Floyd, I generally disagree with the opinion that "The Wall" is a classic, amazing album. For the most part, I think it suffers from a mixture "double album syndrome" and "egotistical, overindulgent ass syndrome".

The first part, the double album thing, is that the album has a lot of songs that should have been cut. The really good songs, like Mother or Comfortably Numb, are completey overshadowed by the little crappy short songs that go nowhere at all. Songs like "Goodbye Blue Sky" are completely pointless. 2 discs were not necessary, and had the unnecessary stuff been trimmed, the album would have been a lot more concise.

Then there's the ego thing. Essentially, the album is Roger Waters showing off how brilliant he thinks he is, which ties in with those little short songs that go nowhere. It seems to me that he assumes that since the songs are experimental, that they're automatically brilliant and completely ignores the pointlessness of the songs. You can almost hear Waters attempting to fellate himself when you listen to the album.

It does have it's good moments though. The stuff that works works incredibly well, but unfortunatly, those moments are hard to find a lot of times.

2/5.

zacsta
05-21-2007, 04:09 AM
Slipknot - vol. 3 (the subliminal verses)

got this on friday, and has been the only thing ive listened to since.
a few months ago if you asked my opinion on slipknot, i would have said they were shit and every other band that just screams pointlessly. but then i just decided to give them a go, and i actually like them. its far, far far away from what i expected slipknot to sound like. with 2-3 of actual singing songs, with acoustics!
my favourite song off the album at the moment is "opium of the people"
first off what grabbed my attention was the rhythm (or watever the word is) he sings the first couple of verses, then after listening to it more i now love just the whole guitar, drums and everything behind it.
the rest of the album is pretty good too, but they have the tendancy to sound the same, and have the same basic structure.
random comment on slipknot, i hate theie fucking masks, they're not even cool, and are just tryhard.

3.5/5

wheelchairman
05-21-2007, 09:00 AM
Jakebert, you sicken me!

The beauty of the Wall isn't how pretentious the band members think they are, they're British so that goes without saying. This was a voice saying that the oppressive and anti-creative voices in the British school system were creating automatons to be spit out as products. People with no minds and certainly no creativity. Just one long conforming consumer product.

As a part of the American school system you should appreciate that at least a little bit.

nieh
05-21-2007, 04:57 PM
While I love Pink Floyd, I generally disagree with the opinion that "The Wall" is a classic, amazing album.

I agree. I don't particularly agree with your reasonings, though. I don't care that it's pretentious and I don't care that it's long because there are plenty of good albums that are both that still manage to be awesome. I think that, conceptually, the album is really well done. The reoccuring riffs and lyrical themes and such are pretty interesting. The problem for me is that the music is just not enjoyable to listen to like their stuff normally is. The whole album feels stiff and rigid. There's really no fluidity, no jamming or anything else that, to me, is Pink Floyd. Without those things they end up just sounding like a generic 70s rock band. In regards to "classic" rock operas, Tommy by the Who is better (I actually just got it the other day) but is still a bit overhyped.

zacsta
05-26-2007, 03:56 AM
Hatebreed - Supremacy

over the last few months ive been listening and getting into bands like metallica, slipknot, cradle of filth and others whos songs are generally over 5min, and are complex and instrumentally thick. so its sorta wierd listening to a band like the offspring that has 2-3 min songs and are fairly simple but with great riffs and the like.
Supremacy is a pretty good album, with basically every song feeling like its part of the album, unlike song other bands albums in which a few songs mean nothing to the album and dont really catch your attention. one downside to Supremacy is that he sings exactly the same in every song, and with fairly similar sounding guitar you're sometimes totally unaware that the next song has started. this probably sounds like im contradicting myself but its sorta wierd that way.
3.5 / 5

Jakebert
05-26-2007, 07:12 AM
Jakebert, you sicken me!

The beauty of the Wall isn't how pretentious the band members think they are, they're British so that goes without saying. This was a voice saying that the oppressive and anti-creative voices in the British school system were creating automatons to be spit out as products. People with no minds and certainly no creativity. Just one long conforming consumer product.

As a part of the American school system you should appreciate that at least a little bit.

I like the concept and the message, I just don't think that it was executed well.

I agree. I don't particularly agree with your reasonings, though. I don't care that it's pretentious and I don't care that it's long because there are plenty of good albums that are both that still manage to be awesome. I think that, conceptually, the album is really well done. The reoccuring riffs and lyrical themes and such are pretty interesting. The problem for me is that the music is just not enjoyable to listen to like their stuff normally is. The whole album feels stiff and rigid. There's really no fluidity, no jamming or anything else that, to me, is Pink Floyd. Without those things they end up just sounding like a generic 70s rock band. In regards to "classic" rock operas, Tommy by the Who is better (I actually just got it the other day) but is still a bit overhyped.

I like a lot of pretentious albums too, but I think there has to be a good balance between the pretentiousness and the quality of the music. With The Wall, the balance is so off that it makes the pretentiousness annoying, kind of like modern day U2.

Tommy is a great album, but for some reason I never seem to be in the mood to listen to it.

German Andres
05-26-2007, 07:44 AM
I`m currently listening to The Process of Belief, from Bad Religion. Man, I love it! As well as their other 12 albums (well except of Into the Unknown).

H1T_That
05-26-2007, 08:11 AM
Porcupine Tree - Fear Of A Blank Planet

This album is amazing. I wish i could say more on this, but i realyl can't describe it. Its not really like anything i've heard before. My favourite track is 'Fear Of A Blank Planet', followed my 'My Ashes'. If you've heard their previous material, you'll most likley be in love with this album. I usually don't like songs that are 10mins plus, but these are great. 8/10.

Dream Theater - Systematic Chaos

When i first heard the album all the way through, my first though was 'Instrumental perfection'. The use of guitars, drums, keyboards, synthesizers and all other manner of effects are drawn together perfectly on every song of this album. As i have alwaysfelt with Dream Theater, the singer lets them down. I feel the sound deserves a rougher, deeper voice to compliment it more. As i mentioned above, i don't really like songs that are 10mins plus. This album has some long songs of 14 and 16 minutes. Because of the singers voice, i feel as though i want to skip half-way through, but the music keeps me going. This albumis no where near as radio friendly as Octavarium was. Maybe this is a good thing, maybe its bad, i haven't decided on that part yet. 6/10.

xxec94
05-26-2007, 02:19 PM
im listening to guns n roses-november rain

xxec94
05-26-2007, 02:20 PM
now sixx:A.M. - Life is beautiful

German Andres
05-27-2007, 09:59 AM
In Utero, by Nirvana. Awesome, Serve the Servants kickass

Thomas
05-27-2007, 10:31 AM
I've been listening to some Tool albums recently. I don't know if it's because they work perfectly as background music for certain video games or what, but I've been really getting into them lately. For me, the best reasons to listen to them are Danny Carey (arguably the best rock drummer alive) and the way they utilize odd meters and still make it flow smoothly. That takes a lot of fucking talent to pull off. The into to the song, Schizm, for example, switches off between 5/8 and 7/8 every bar (13/8? nah...), but it flows just as freely as a song in 4/4. I've yet to see a band pull it off as well as they have, except maybe Dream Theatre, but Danny Carey is better than Mike Portnoy anyway. *prepares to get flamed for last comment*

H1T_That
05-27-2007, 11:14 AM
Megadeth - United Abominations

This is the first Megadeth album i've listened to all the way through, so i can't really compare it to any of thier previous albums. As an album, i think it kida blows. It wreaks of stupid political messages, while not concentrating on putting out decent songs. Theres no real structures to any of the songs. A typical intro, dumb message, riff, solo, message, riff, end structure is adopted on most of the songs, making a very boring album. 2/10

The Fall Of Troy - Manipulator

I'm still having mixed feelings about this album after a good few listens. Some of the songs (Oh, The Casino!, Seattalantis), are pure amazing. I'm for some reason annoyed, and wanting to skip over the tracks Sledgehammer, A Man A Plan and Ex-Creations though. I think more listens are in order before i can really make up my mind about this album. ????/10.

Streetlight Manifesto -Everything Went Numb

I heard Keasbey Nights first, and then decided to check out EWN. I had high hopes, and was frankly left dissapointed. I find myself getting bored of nearly all of the songs apart from Everything Went Numb and A Moment Of Violence. I think this album suffers more because of my love of Keasbey. 5/10

coke_a_holic
05-27-2007, 11:50 AM
Manipulator: I feel the same way about it. Buy Doppelganger, though; it's a lot better than Manipulator and feels more coherent.

EGN: Give it time; when I first heard it, I was unimpressed, too. Especially after Keasbey Nights was all fast and EGN was all slow.

I've been listening to Cursive's... discography and it is really good. They are an indie/emo/punkrawk group and are absolutely fantastic (thanks to Nieh for getting me into them). There are four major albums I've been listening to and I'll give a biased little review for each one.

1. Domestica - Opens up well with The Casualty, then goes into The Martyr, which is one of my favorites by them. The best song on here, I think, is The Game Of Who Needs Who The Worst. The album is almost entirely about the singer's divorce, which fuels most of the lyrical content. The only main issue is the production value, but that's basically it.

2. Burst and Bloom - Really short, but really good. Tall Tales, Tell Tales was the first song that I heard by Cursive, and so it's always held a place in my heart. I haven't listened to this EP enough to really give a good standpoint on it, but it sounds really cool. Fairytales, Tell Tales is my friends favorite song by them, and it is a really cool one. There isn't a bad song on it, but it's so short that that doesn't mean much.

3. The Ugly Organ - This full length has me really torn. There are some fucking amazing tracks (Red-Handed Sleight of Hand, Art is Hard, The Recluse) and a few useless ones (Herald! Frankenstein, Staying Alive [which is a bad, 10 minute-long ending to the cd]). The highs are really high (Butcher The Song sends shivers down my spine); some of their absolute best, but the lows are really low (some parts just seem incoherent in comparison to the rest of the cd). Also, the cello player on this record is fucking AMAZING.

4. Happy Hollow - This is an entire cd about religion (and how they disapprove of it, etc etc) and is ultimately their first real diversion from the emo scene. Don't get me wrong, they still have that feel, but the songs are a little bit more upbeat, the lyrics are somewhat less personal (though still in the form of stories). There's no more cello, but there is a lot more reliance on brass parts, which contributes to the upbeat feeling. Overall, I'd say start with this one. Dorothy at Forty, Big Bang, Rise Up! Rise Up!, and Hymns for the Heathen are all really good.

H1T_That
05-28-2007, 04:07 AM
Manipulator: I feel the same way about it. Buy Doppelganger, though; it's a lot better than Manipulator and feels more coherent.

EGN: Give it time; when I first heard it, I was unimpressed, too. Especially after Keasbey Nights was all fast and EGN was all slow.

I already had Doppelganger, and i agree its brilliant.

I'll give EGN some more listens.

Llamas
05-28-2007, 08:08 AM
I recently got The Rasmus - Hide From the Sun. Been listening to it a bit.

I always hear rumors that the band was trying to fit the emo trend in the US, and then I realized they were Finnish. It's almost impossible to be in Finland and to NOT look like you're emo. :P Their lyrics aren't emo, in my opinion, anyway.

This album is really good. I think Lauri has a great voice. This album is less pop-oriented than the singles on Dead Letters. "No Fear" is a killer song. I'm not really sure what it is about them that I love so much... but I liked them through all the shit they got when "In the Shadows" was popular. I'd currently give this album a 9/10. It seems to go up every time I listen to it.

Grabbal
05-28-2007, 08:11 AM

Llamas
05-28-2007, 08:21 AM
It's the album from 2005. I don't think they've had any since then.

And I have Dead Letters... that's why I was talking about "In the Shadows". :P I like this album way more. I'm sure the press here disliked Dead Letters because it suited the American mainstream so well. This album doesn't sound like that. You should definitely check it out. I think it's way better, but I like both.

H1T_That
05-28-2007, 11:36 AM
My girlfriend loves this band. I've only heard their singles, and mainstream stuff. She assures me their earlier stuff and album content is good stuff. Bri, i know you like good music, so my girlfriend and you saying they are good could possibly meen good stuff from them. I'll check them out.

Album to start with?

Grabbal
05-28-2007, 11:44 AM

Llamas
05-28-2007, 11:44 AM
"Dead Letters" is the most mainstream, and probably has the songs you've heard. I only have that and "Hide From the Sun". The second is MUCH better, I think, but if you like what you've heard, you might wanna check out "Dead Letters". Hide From the Sun is more rocking and less mainstream, though.

Grabbal
05-28-2007, 11:46 AM

H1T_That
05-28-2007, 12:02 PM
I''ll probably go with Dead Letters. Thanks guys.

Grabbal
05-28-2007, 12:10 PM

H1T_That
05-28-2007, 12:17 PM
So many new albums coming out right now, i'll probably only have time to check out one. I'll keep note for future reference if i like what i hear from the the first one.

Llamas
05-28-2007, 01:00 PM
I've been listening to some Tool albums recently. I don't know if it's because they work perfectly as background music for certain video games or what, but I've been really getting into them lately. For me, the best reasons to listen to them are Danny Carey (arguably the best rock drummer alive) and the way they utilize odd meters and still make it flow smoothly. That takes a lot of fucking talent to pull off. The into to the song, Schizm, for example, switches off between 5/8 and 7/8 every bar (13/8? nah...), but it flows just as freely as a song in 4/4. I've yet to see a band pull it off as well as they have, except maybe Dream Theatre, but Danny Carey is better than Mike Portnoy anyway. *prepares to get flamed for last comment*

I just noticed this post. Did you just listen to Lateralus? Or did you also listen to Aenima, Opiate, Undertow and 10,000 Days? Lateralus is my favorite by a lot. I've been on a bit of a Tool kick lately.

Ninty Man
05-28-2007, 05:21 PM
Look what I almost stepped in... the vandals...

Not bad