PDA

View Full Version : Penny Arcade, wha?

Lodat225
02-15-2007, 03:50 PM
Hey, webcomics. I just recently found a webcomic that , in my opinion, surpasses Penny Arcade and such comics.

Behold, PC Weenies.

http://www.pcweenies.org/

Yeah, amazing.

Lizardus
02-15-2007, 04:56 PM
Your opinion doesn't count.

JohnnyNemesis
02-15-2007, 04:57 PM
Is it just me, or was that kind of fail?

All About Eve
02-15-2007, 05:02 PM
I only read the 10 most recent ones, but none of them are funny.

Fortunately, this gives me a chance to whore out www.xkcd.com, which I've just started reading and is perfectly magnificent.

JohnnyNemesis
02-15-2007, 05:03 PM
I'm generally not a huge fan of single-strip comics, but PC weenies strikes me as just okay.

xkcd is pretty damn awesome sometimes.

Lodat225
02-15-2007, 05:22 PM

Fortunately, this gives me a chance to whore out www.xkcd.com, which I've just started reading and is perfectly magnificent.

You have to dig real deep to find the classics, but xkcd is awesome.

Lizardus
02-15-2007, 06:20 PM

Is that the one with the suicide chart?
I'm going to need that for a class next twesday.

JohnnyNemesis
02-15-2007, 06:36 PM
Ctrl+Alt+Del > Penny Arcade, for the record.

nieh
02-15-2007, 07:00 PM

I generally agree.

Homer
02-15-2007, 07:13 PM

I agree. Though, I've just recently got into Ctrl+Alt+Del comics.

coke_a_holic
02-15-2007, 07:46 PM
For the record, I was the one who got AAE started on xkcd. Beware of raptors.

nieh
02-15-2007, 07:54 PM
I was the first one on the forum to mention the site I think. Thus: my penis is bigger.

Lodat225
02-15-2007, 07:55 PM

Oh, i agree. This is how it goes.

Ctrl+Alt+Del > PC Weeines > Dueling Analogs > xkcd > Least i Could Do > VG Cats > Penny Arcade.

Those are the only ones i read.

mrconeman
02-15-2007, 07:58 PM

This link is slowly stealing my life.
Why can't I go to bed?!

JohnnyNemesis
02-15-2007, 08:17 PM
Overdose of awesome, that's why!

mrconeman
02-15-2007, 08:20 PM
update: I just read every comic there.
I'm ashamed and proud at the same time.
Bed.

Lizardus
02-15-2007, 08:20 PM
This link is slowly stealing my life.
Why can't I go to bed?!

Because it has your soul!!!!

While we are on the subject of webcomics:
http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/4577/tnhg2.jpg

All About Eve
02-15-2007, 09:08 PM
Oh, i agree. This is how it goes.

Ctrl+Alt+Del > PC Weeines > Dueling Analogs > xkcd > Least i Could Do > VG Cats > Penny Arcade.

Those are the only ones i read.

Cyanide & Happiness > NN2S > xkcd > all the ones you mentioned.

Venom Symbiote
02-15-2007, 09:35 PM
Penny Arcade is kind of hit-or-miss, but Ctrl+Alt+Del and Shortpacked are consistently funny.

Lodat225
02-15-2007, 09:42 PM
Yeah, but when Penny Arcade hits - it shoots it out to the next stadium.

JohnnyNemesis
02-15-2007, 09:58 PM
In my opinion, Cyanide & Happiness is one of the worst ones out there, despite the fact that some of them are absolute masterpieces. It goes about 80% trash, 15% average, and 5% pure genius.

All About Eve
02-15-2007, 10:13 PM
Other way around for me there, but I guess we have different tastes.

Little_Miss_1565
02-15-2007, 10:37 PM
Whatever, Achewood eats all of those for breakfast.

Jebus
02-15-2007, 11:11 PM
I was this close to getting a no raptors shirt until I found out you needed pay pal.

Mota Boy
02-15-2007, 11:14 PM
Penny Arcade is pretty damn funny, but whenever I hear people speak of it as if it's the gold standard of online comics I start to tune out.

JohnnyNemesis
02-15-2007, 11:18 PM
Penny Arcade is pretty damn funny, but whenever I hear people speak of it as if it's the gold standard of online comics I start to tune out.

That's the thing I never understood. It's a quality comic, a really REALLY good one, but by no means is it elite at all. But the idea that they are indeed the gold standard of webcomics is extremely popular.

Endymion
02-16-2007, 01:00 AM
i like xkcd. linux, math, and programming jokes win my heart.

TBD
02-16-2007, 01:23 AM
If we can put a man on the moon, we can put a man with aids on the moon. Then we can put everyone with aids on the moon.

Venom Symbiote
02-16-2007, 03:32 AM
Penny Arcade should get its credit, it's deserved.

I mean, it wasn't the first gaming comic, but from what I understand it was the grandaddy of the early ones, it's opened a lot of doors and made opportunities for other folks to do their thing. The guys are still doing a pretty good job 8 years later or whatever the hell it is. It must be hard to maintain something like that.

CAD's more my thing, but that's just a loyalist thing I guess, first one of these things I was introduced to. That and the character traits are pretty hilarious throughout the different storylines.

I've gotta say, though, Tycho from PA is one genius futhermucker of t3h fUnn@r.

Mota Boy
02-16-2007, 09:47 AM
Penny Arcade should get its credit, it's deserved.

I mean, it wasn't the first gaming comic...But to me, that's exactly it. It was one of the first really popular webcomics, and it set the standard formula that came to set webcomics apart as a separate genre: focused on computer and video games, often employing random, gratuitous violence, swearing and sexual innuendo (often in third panel non sequiturs) that explored the limits of a censorless format while making breaking the fourth wall a standard plot device. It's simple in set-up, with outrageous characters who do idiotic things. The women are largely relegated to roles as foils. Technology is anthropomorphized and (more often than not) prone to deviant behavior. Etc.

But at the same time, while it charted out a niche for webcomes and set the mold for gaming webcomics, and thus is important to the history of webcomics, it's formula has become so replicated and hackneyed as to be diluted, and while irreverence and sight gags are certainly amusing, I've come to expect a bit more out a "great" webcomic: a little more depth, more character development, a bit more relevance to the wider human experience beyond video games (particularly through the medium of satire, as the genre, what with its casual disregard for realism, seems perfectly suited for it), a plot.

Again, Penny Arcade is very good - I read it every week - but I consider it somewhat akin to the DaVinci Code in that, while I can certainly see why people enjoyed it, whenever I see people list it as a favorite book I assume they're dull (though it's more of a crime in my eyes to not be widely read than to no have gotten into many webcomics).

JohnnyNemesis
02-16-2007, 10:13 AM
Also, as far as CAD goes, my entire life would be much happier if Chef Brian was never ever ever ever created. Instead, I just cry myself to sleep every night and beat on my walls in fits of rage when I remember that character.

Sinister
02-16-2007, 11:44 AM
For some reason I immensely enjoy DieselSweeties (http://offspring.com/forums/www.dieselsweeties.com). Might have something to do with the recent strips making fun of furries.

coke_a_holic
02-16-2007, 05:09 PM
Also, as far as CAD goes, my entire life would be much happier if Chef Brian was never ever ever ever created. Instead, I just cry myself to sleep every night and beat on my walls in fits of rage when I remember that character.

Oh! He's not a major character? I may consider reading it; the only CAD comics I ever saw included him and they were just... stupid. I'm glad to know that he's not a major character, I think I'll get started on reading more soon.

Venom Symbiote
02-16-2007, 06:22 PM
Psh. Chef Brian only turns up in the strip once a year, from memory. He's, like, more than a little minor in significance.

Shit, Johnny, you don't see him as funny in small doses? I usually get a laugh from his appearances, if only because they're so retarded. It's kind of the idea behind him, and why Tim made a conscious decision to not overuse him.

JohnnyNemesis
02-16-2007, 07:10 PM
Oh! He's not a major character? I may consider reading it; the only CAD comics I ever saw included him and they were just... stupid. I'm glad to know that he's not a major character, I think I'll get started on reading more soon.

Yeah, as Venom said, he only shows up on very rare occasions; Tim is aware that for the people who enjoy that kind of humor, overkill would happen super quick.

Shit, Johnny, you don't see him as funny in small doses?

Not even. His appearances remind me of that annoying slightly chubby kid in high school who would use and overuse the same words just because he thought that being random was funny, and Tim overuses the same words too (cheese, broccoli, toes, etc.). It makes me wanna die.

Lodat225
02-16-2007, 07:11 PM
Hahaha, i just skip his strips. It don't make no sense!

Homer
02-16-2007, 07:19 PM
The ONLY good Chef Brian comic was the "I are pant!" one.

JohnnyNemesis
02-16-2007, 07:22 PM
No, the only good Chef Brian panel was the "I Are Pant!" one. And that was quite humorous.

Venom Symbiote
02-16-2007, 07:51 PM
His appearances remind me of that annoying slightly chubby kid in high school who would use and overuse the same words just because he thought that being random was funny, and Tim overuses the same words too (cheese, broccoli, toes, etc.).

:p Haha, point made, point made. Agreed there.

TheUnholyNightbringer
02-16-2007, 07:55 PM
update: I just read every comic there.
I'm ashamed and proud at the same time.

Same here.

And for the record, they're absolutely awesome.

It's not like many other comics I've read before. Real Life Comics was excellent, and in a way similar to that one, but was much more middle of the road. Some of XKCD I didn't understand of course, but that was the beauty of it - for most, you didn't even need to understand the math, because they threw in a bit of good ol' fashioned hilarity for us math newbs.

Ah, fun.