PDA

View Full Version : Ex-NBA star banned from league events for homophobic remarks.

TBD
02-15-2007, 09:44 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/basketball/nba/02/15/bc.bkn.hardawayremarks.ap/index.html?cnn=yes

As you guys know the first NBA player to ever come out as gay came out last week (Retired center John Amaechi), and lots of people have given their views towards it, (Lots of apprehensiveness and discomfort) but no one has strictly expressed their disgust as much as Tim Hardaway, who actually claimed to hate gays. Do you guys think that banning him from league events was a good move, or is that just intolerance of a differing opinion in matters unrelated to basketball.

Are anti-gay marks and racism the same thing? That seems to be a highly contentious issue.

JohnnyNemesis
02-15-2007, 09:57 PM
Do you guys think that banning him from league events was a good move

For the most part, yeah, but I'll admit that I don't have any deep explanation for it or anything. I just like seeing idiocy rewarded with harsh punishment.

Are anti-gay marks and racism the same thing?

No.

sKratch
02-15-2007, 11:12 PM
Dude... are you twisted by design? No way.

Mota Boy
02-16-2007, 10:06 AM
Do you guys think that banning him from league events was a good move, or is that just intolerance of a differing opinion in matters unrelated to basketball.Increasingly I've come to realize that the NBA, like all professional sports leagues, is a product. The NBA is continually attempting to sell itself and, in order to have success beyond its core group of sports fans, it must have big personalities to sell easily-packaged stories to the average consumer. It's especially important now because nobody has risen to fill the void left by Michael Jordan and the image of the league has been marred as of late by fights.

The overall need for the NBA to protect and promote its image functions in economic terms as a public good - it benefits everyone if all members of the league act as upstanding citizens twenty-four hours a day, but it doesn't benefit the individuals enough to make it worth their time, so the league has to step in and enforce certain protocols.

In regard to the comments themselves, I thought they were hilarious. After being exposed to political correctness for so long, with huge deals being made out of relatively minor breaches of decorum (like, for instance, Joseph Biden saying Obama was the first "clean black" on the national political stage), it's shocking to hear a celebrity publicly espouse raw hatred for any minority group - shocking to the point of satire in that it exposes the gulf between how we carry ourselves in the public and private spheres. "You know what you're saying is blatantly homophobic, right?" "Yeah... I just want to clear things up and say that I am homophobic and I hate gay people." What a card!

Sin Studly
02-16-2007, 10:39 AM
Marred by fights? Fights sell tickets, don't they? Homophobic comments aren't really to be desired, but I would have thought having a few white players come right out and say they hate niggers would do unfathomably good for the NBA by having people flocking to NBA games wanting to see dirty fouling against them as they play in a majority-black league.

But then, in my country sport is like Balkanic wars. They cultivate long-standing rivalries so everyone will show up to see the Magpies play the Blues because they've hated each other since 1877 and we'll get to see some Circus Maximus style bloodshed.

Mota Boy
02-16-2007, 10:51 AM
Fights don't work in basketball, though. It's a physical sport, but it's heavily regulated so that any overt physicality results in a shot at free points for the opposing team - the rules are set up so as to discourage violence. Most fans also focus on ability rather than raw power, and the point is to establish a cultural icon whose products mothers won't have a problem purchasing for their children. We have our violent sports in hockey, football, NASCAR and ultimate fighting - which are much better designed for physicality than basketball. Basketball would lost much more than it gained if it tried to market violence.

Sin Studly
02-16-2007, 11:03 AM
See, those words seem to be correct, but when put together like that they make no sense to me whatsoever.

Venom Symbiote
02-16-2007, 06:36 PM
But then, in my country sport is like Balkanic wars. They cultivate long-standing rivalries so everyone will show up to see the Magpies play the Blues because they've hated each other since 1877 and we'll get to see some Circus Maximus style bloodshed.

Amen. I mean, I hate Australian sports with a passion, but what you said brings a joyful tear to my eye. Australians all let us rejoice...

That NBA fight a few years ago was classic, though. Artest, what a fag-hole. Heh, uppity overpayed bitch.

As for Hardaway, I'm kinda with Mota Boy on that. His comments were wrong, no doubt, and he should be punished for saying something so ignorant, but in a way it's almost refreshing to hear him just plain say it, fuck the consequences. He's admitting he's at odds with a bunch of people who would oppose what he's saying, he's admitting he's the one with the problem, but at the same time I think it's kinda cool he just said it so bluntly. He hates gay people.

Doesn't make it right, and he should be punished for it, but it's still cool he said it.

HornyPope
02-18-2007, 12:43 PM
I hate gays too.

Duskygrin
02-18-2007, 12:46 PM
muahaha thanks for this. His words pollute the atmosphere. One of the grandest public insults I've heard in years.

nieh
02-25-2007, 07:45 AM
George Takei responds to homophobic remarks (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcJoJZIcQW4)