PDA

View Full Version : I went to Venice

Llamas
02-19-2007, 08:39 AM
on Saturday. It was cool to see, but I don't see why it's soooooo famous. It's different, and it was cool because it was during carnival so there were so many costumes and masks everywhere, but it was so filthy and gross, and the whole extremely touristy thing is such a turn off. I don't think I'd ever go again, though I'm glad I did it once. Who else has been, and what did you think of it? I took a lot of pictures, but I can't upload them. Lame.

Llamas
02-19-2007, 08:49 AM
But all the water was so filthy, and all the buildings and docks around the water were gross and not in good condition... I dunno. I mean, I'm glad I went, as it was very different and all that, but it's one of the most famous cities in the world and everyone wants to go there... I just didn't understand why... :-/

the_GoDdEsS
02-19-2007, 08:51 AM
Ahh, the carnivals in February. Agencies here offer dirt cheap one or two-day trips there.
It's the Italians, I would not be surprised at their towns being dirty, especially docks (besides it's common knowledge that the sea in the very North is not that clean). I've only been to Rimini. Northern Italy seemed a little dirty, not sure about Rome, but apparently Sicily is the absolute dirtiest place.

Anya82
02-19-2007, 08:54 AM
yeah, i know what you mean... both of you (maria and ilovellamas [what's your real name?]).

I've been in Venice too, when i was 18. I found it pretty... but nothing WOWOMGitr0xrz!!! I liked many things there, and the dusk was beautiful to see, the colors of the sky, the sun, the water... pretty picture.
But it's a very small place, and it's full of little shops, and old, ugly buildings that nobody takes care of. And yeah, the water looks bad and it stinks.

I didn't find Venice as an amazing place, but i say it's an ok place to visit and leave in one day.

Anya82
02-19-2007, 09:08 AM
Ahh, the carnivals in February. Agencies here offer dirt cheap one or two-day trips there.
I went there on Dec. 2000. I didn't get the Carnivals... are they fun there? or just ok?

It's the Italians, I would not be surprised at their towns being dirty, especially docks (besides it's common knowledge that the sea in the very North is not that clean). I've only been to Rimini. Northern Italy seemed a little dirty, not sure about Rome, but apparently Sicily is the absolute dirtiest place.
Personally, I don't like generalizing about people, but I think that it's a shame some countries don't take care of their cultural treasures, tourist attractions, and their own towns. And i include MY country.

Italia311
02-19-2007, 09:12 AM
Venice is such a nice city (obviously I will think so), its structure is really really nice. Northern Italians are snobs though :P. Carnivale I cool to see for the first time. I like it, Im all into that stuff though. I wish I was able to attend this year. I agree though, A place to see in one day. Unless u get stuck there due to family reasons in which case you're not really in the thick of fun.

P.s - Rome has it's fair share of Grafitti.

the_GoDdEsS
02-19-2007, 09:17 AM
I went there on Dec. 2000. I didn't get the Carnivals... are they fun there? or just ok?

I've never been to one. A friend of mine went four years ago and reported that she had fun but it was cold.

Llamas
02-20-2007, 01:41 AM
yeah, i know what you mean... both of you (maria and ilovellamas [what's your real name?]).

I've been in Venice too, when i was 18. I found it pretty... but nothing WOWOMGitr0xrz!!! I liked many things there, and the dusk was beautiful to see, the colors of the sky, the sun, the water... pretty picture.
But it's a very small place, and it's full of little shops, and old, ugly buildings that nobody takes care of. And yeah, the water looks bad and it stinks.

I didn't find Venice as an amazing place, but i say it's an ok place to visit and leave in one day.

My name is Brianna. :) and yeah, I agree with you completely. It was pretty and such, but not like so awesome. And it annoys me that it's so important and loved, but nobody actually takes care of it or seems to really care. And I'm glad I went, but don't intend to go back. Especially during carnival.

Iamstupid
02-20-2007, 05:15 AM
I went to Venice there is 3 years ago...I was 13 and it was fun, I was with my friends and we've done a lot of bullshits it was very cool. PLus anyone of us spoke Italian so we've mix english and espagnol...THe city was beautiful to see, but the water is really dirty :/ Don't cara if you find a apple or a slace of bread in. I went at Venice in APril, so no carnaval but beautiful city anyways, the basilica Saint Marc was god to see, the piazza Saint Marc too, but these kinds of city you must be seen with a friend or a boyfriend/girlfriend to do it better and have fun

Anya82
02-20-2007, 12:25 PM
...but these kinds of city you must be seen with a friend or a boyfriend/girlfriend to do it better and have fun

I'm not saying it's not worth seeing, but I think Brianna and I are in the same tune. The point is that most people say it's very romantic, and amazing, but... it's not THAT incredible. I did have fun, i went there with many friends, and I liked the piazza and the basilica too, but, it's sad that it's very dirty, and people don't take care of the place.

Iamstupid
02-20-2007, 12:39 PM
I'm not saying it's not worth seeing, but I think Brianna and I are in the same tune. The point is that most people say it's very romantic, and amazing, but... it's not THAT incredible. I did have fun, i went there with many friends, and I liked the piazza and the basilica too, but, it's sad that it's very dirty, and people don't take care of the place.

Yeah it's not THAT incredible but cool, for sure it's really annoying that everybody throw their garbage everywhere :(

F@ BANKZ
02-20-2007, 01:36 PM
I went when i was....8 i think, i can remember it fairly clearly. It was nice but apart from the boats through town and buildings there wasn't anything much special there apart from the food prices. I wasn't amazed about anything there like i have been on other trips, don't get me wrong it was nice enough but y'know: Overhyped.

Nina
02-21-2007, 09:54 AM
I think most of Italy is dirty-looking. I've been to Italy twice. I remember Milan quite well, as I've been there recently...dirty, disgusting, and unfriendly people. Good food though. But definitely not "amazing" in my eyes, either.

Tizzalicious
02-21-2007, 10:05 AM
I went to the north of Italy a few times, and it was super clean and beautiful there. I'm talking about the real north though, where the mountains are.

Anya82
02-21-2007, 10:12 AM
I think it's a beautiful country, I liked it. But definitely, it's a pity people don't keep it clean.

Something like that happens in my country too...:( *sad*

Llamas
02-26-2007, 05:09 AM
I went to the north of Italy a few times, and it was super clean and beautiful there. I'm talking about the real north though, where the mountains are.

We bussed through that part, but it was impossible to tell how clean it was from the bus. I'm not surprised it's cleaners near the mountains, though. Have you been to any other parts of Italy?

I'm going to England/Scotland in May, by the way. If I'm there long enough, I might come by Denmark and Sweden. :)

JoY
02-26-2007, 06:02 AM
Bri, sounds exciting! Venice is a lot less charming & magical than it is described, isn't it? well, most things turn out that way, if you expect a whole lot & expectations of Venice are always super high. the history is fantastic, though. it used to be that charming & magical place, but there's not a whole lot of that left, unless you look closely. did you go to the glass factory? the glass factory is amazing!

near Switzerland? man, that part of Italy is anything but clean. the atmosphere is nice, though. I like the little villages, the markets that smell like herbs & spices, the old houses, the little old men sitting in front of them, sitting on the terras.. but about every house looks like it's going to collapse & the pastel baby colours bring out only too well how incredibly dirty the houses are.

Marco
02-26-2007, 11:32 AM
Venice sucks. Water is filthy, there is no entertainment and there are horrible rats arounf the city. Go in other places in Italy, which is a marvellous country considering the variety of places in a medium-small sized country.

And remember: in the South of Italy everything is terribly wrong, but generalizing on the Italians is very immature.

JoY
02-27-2007, 02:54 AM
Venice sucks. Water is filthy, there is no entertainment and there are horrible rats arounf the city. Go in other places in Italy, which is a marvellous country considering the variety of places in a medium-small sized country.

And remember: in the South of Italy everything is terribly wrong, but generalizing on the Italians is very immature.

I wanted to point out there is quite some entertainment in Venice. you just need some cash to get it. the boats, the glass factory, the carnaval, the masks, the historical places, the musea, the painters... well yes, Venice is mighty expensive. but not to mention the views over the water, seeing the sun come up & go down, the bridges, the narrow streets, the houses that seem to rise out of the water.. & watching that is for free.

Venice is well, beautiful. if you spend your time well there, you'll discover how beautiful it once was & in some ways still is. you see what is left of all that & what is left of its glorious days is magnificent. as a whole it's just not as spectacular as many people make it out to be.

Italy overal.. is a mess. the majority of houses are in really bad state & look like they're about to collapse. the country, atmosphere & climate are fantastic. the people ..sometimes too. the men are beyond annoying at times, but I like their way of living & though Italians can be obnoxious & loud, they're overal very, very friendly people.

Italy is NOT small. I don't know what the fuck you're comparing it to, but for European standards, Italy is not small in any way. it's not huge either, it's just not small. & about the variety; I don't know what you're talking about. the people? the architecture? the country? the history? sorry, but of all countries I've seen, Italy definitely shows not much that is new when you travel around. & that's fine, because Italy is Italy. the difference between big cities & small villages may seem huge, but even that difference isn't as big as it seems, if you stay in either one of the two for over a week.

calichix
02-27-2007, 09:22 AM
you DON'T see why it's famous? after seeing venice I don't think it's famous enough. it's the most romantic place in the world. not borderline romantic like london but not creepy overwhelmingly romantic like paris. I could go on about it forever. but yeah it's expensive and the pigeons/crowds suck.

Llamas
02-28-2007, 02:16 AM
Joy, that's interesting. I knew of course there had to be a lot of history I didn't know about, but some day I'll have to read up on Venice a bit. It might make my view of it become a little better.

Marco, how is Italy small? There are definitely more countries that are smaller than it than are larger than it. It's definitely mid-sized.

On saturday, I'm going to Salzburg. Hopefully the Sound of Music won't disappoint ;)

JoY
02-28-2007, 08:16 AM
you DON'T see why it's famous? after seeing venice I don't think it's famous enough. it's the most romantic place in the world. not borderline romantic like london but not creepy overwhelmingly romantic like paris. I could go on about it forever. but yeah it's expensive and the pigeons/crowds suck.

hah, I agree. it is EXTREMELY expensive, & fucking flooded with tourists (like all of us, who have been there, were at the time of our stay *smiles*). pigeons in larger cities are like rats. Amsterdam also has millions of the lazy bastards.

I didn't hate them, until I saw one, thought it had broken his wing. so I wanted to take care of it & tried to catch it to bring it to a doctor, but it kept flopping away on its limp wings. when I finally almost had it, it suddenly hopped up, spread its wings & flew off. wtf. the thing was just too fucking fat to lift off. & there I went, being all mushy & girly, thinking; "aww, poor thing, lemme help you". my boyfriend predicted it was just fine & just too lazy & was watching out the window the minute it took off. I was so embarrassed. a fucking PIGEON embarrassed me. I'll never forgive its kind for that experience.

it's famous enough, though. oh yes. in Europe it gets so many credits for its history & supposed beauty (because honestly, you don't know what it's going to look like, until you're there), where do you think all those crowds of tourists come from?

& Bri, Salzburg? Sound of Music? très cool. there's no way it's going to disappoint. no fucking way.

wheelchairman
02-28-2007, 08:31 AM
If you see a tall strangely dressed man wearing mostly dark clothes, just shout "hey Thomas!", could be that I know him. His little brother is a brown haired metal head, not as cool but oh well.

Anya82
02-28-2007, 09:20 AM
I didn't hate them, until I saw one, thought it had broken his wing. so I wanted to take care of it & tried to catch it to bring it to a doctor, but it kept flopping away on its limp wings.

once I tried to do something like that with a bird.... I found it near my front door. It was summer, and summers are hell in my hometown. Literally, HELL. I thought it needed some rest, food and water. I kept it one day, and when I was going to take it to the doctor...... it was dead! :( that was SO SAD. :( Guess I found it too late.

Marco
02-28-2007, 10:24 AM

1 I wanted to point out there is quite some entertainment in Venice. you just need some cash to get it. the boats, the glass factory, the carnaval, the masks, the historical places, the musea, the painters... well yes, Venice is mighty expensive. but not to mention the views over the water, seeing the sun come up & go down, the bridges, the narrow streets, the houses that seem to rise out of the water.. & watching that is for free.

Venice is well, beautiful. if you spend your time well there, you'll discover how beautiful it once was & in some ways still is. you see what is left of all that & what is left of its glorious days is magnificent. as a whole it's just not as spectacular as many people make it out to be.

2 Italy overal.. is a mess. the majority of houses are in really bad state & look like they're about to collapse. the country, atmosphere & climate are fantastic. the people ..sometimes too. the men are beyond annoying at times, but I like their way of living & though Italians can be obnoxious & loud, they're overal very, very friendly people.

3 Italy is NOT small. I don't know what the fuck you're comparing it to, but for European standards, Italy is not small in any way. it's not huge either, it's just not small. & about the variety; I don't know what you're talking about. the people? the architecture? the country? the history? sorry, but of all countries I've seen, Italy definitely shows not much that is new when you travel around. & that's fine, because Italy is Italy. the difference between big cities & small villages may seem huge, but even that difference isn't as big as it seems, if you stay in either one of the two for over a week.
1: That's ok for one or two days, but you wouldn't like living or working there.
2: That's crap. You're the first one I've ever heard complaining...where exactly have you been? Bologna perhaps?
3: OK I was in a hurry so I'll rephrase: Small compared to the US and middle sized country compared to the rest.

JoY
03-01-2007, 04:35 AM
we weren't talking about living, or working there. I don't have a fucking clue how that would be. we were talking about visiting Venice & all the splendid things you can do on your visit.

I travel from Switzerland to the North of Italy every year & most of the times, we explore things a bit before parking the car. we drive around, until we see some nice town. sometimes we pick a place on the map to go to. my mom loves to go to Milan in that case for shopping. Verona is also always an option, Parma is most of the times a bit too far away. but this is on vacations in Switzerland. the vacations we had in Italy were more towards the South, like in Florence, Rome & Salerno. we never stay in one place, though.

you were comparing it to the United States?? *slaps forehead*

Marco
03-01-2007, 10:13 AM
I travel from Switzerland to the North of Italy every year & most of the times, we explore things a bit before parking the car. we drive around, until we see some nice town. sometimes we pick a place on the map to go to. my mom loves to go to Milan in that case for shopping. Verona is also always an option, Parma is most of the times a bit too far away. but this is on vacations in Switzerland. the vacations we had in Italy were more towards the South, like in Florence, Rome & Salerno. we never stay in one place, though.

And all that cities have "buildings which look like they're going to fall" and are dirty?

Llamas
03-01-2007, 10:27 AM
you were comparing it to the United States?? *slaps forehead*

I knew he was doing that from the beginning... which is just hilarious. "It's a small country, compared to the 4th largest country in the world!" Well, duh. If you google country sizes, on wiki, Italy is number 71 out of 232 countries. I don't miss Americans... honestly. :P

JoY
03-02-2007, 02:05 AM
And all that cities have "buildings which look like they're going to fall" and are dirty?

yes. all those cities have plenty of buildings that look like they're about to collapse. especially outside the center, most of the times.

geez, don't be bitter. I said I loved the country, the climate, the people & their way of living. & I like the language, too. I like Italy, that I will say. it just has its.. problems. & when a country has its problems, that doesn't show in one or two villages/cities, it just shows. why do you think you can buy a property in Italy for less than a quarter of the price it'd cost here in the Netherlands? not just because they've got more space, because in France & Spain there's even more space than there's in Italy. a shitload of Dutch have got second houses in Italy. it's fucking cheap.

but the old buildings, even the ones that used to be baby-pink & are becoming green-/brown-ish, have a certain charm to them. especially those old buildings & houses are extremely charming & have a certain beauty to them in a way, if you don't have to maintain the thing, or live in it. I like the way they often have some old, wrinkled, leather-skinned, tanned man, or two sitting in front of them. it's like in the Bertolli commercials, it's fucking cute.

on roadtrips in Italy you will see plenty of houses, though, that were abandoned for some reason & that are just standing there, rotting away. it's just a waste. *sigh* my hands always start itching when I see that. in a landscape like that, anything's got potential.

I shouldn't pretend I know all of Italy. I don't. I'm Dutch & I don't even know all of the Netherlands. I'm just saying.. you said a couple of things, that you seemed pretty sure of, when every time I go there, the experience is quite different than how you described.

number 71 of 232? well then, I'd say by the looks of it it's not even remotely small (like I said before) & quite big in comparison to the rest of Europe (like I said before), but even quite large in comparison to the world. come on, it is quite large. not huge, but in comparison to most European countries.. honestly, in Europe, pretty much only Spain, Poland, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Germany & France are bigger. & Denmark, but they got Greenland to cover for them.

Marco
03-02-2007, 10:18 AM
yes. all those cities have plenty of buildings that look like they're about to collapse. especially outside the center, most of the times.

geez, don't be bitter. I said I loved the country, the climate, the people & their way of living. & I like the language, too. I like Italy, that I will say. it just has its.. problems. & when a country has its problems, that doesn't show in one or two villages/cities, it just shows. why do you think you can buy a property in Italy for less than a quarter of the price it'd cost here in the Netherlands? not just because they've got more space, because in France & Spain there's even more space than there's in Italy. a shitload of Dutch have got second houses in Italy. it's fucking cheap.

but the old buildings, even the ones that used to be baby-pink & are becoming green-/brown-ish, have a certain charm to them. especially those old buildings & houses are extremely charming & have a certain beauty to them in a way, if you don't have to maintain the thing, or live in it. I like the way they often have some old, wrinkled, leather-skinned, tanned man, or two sitting in front of them. it's like in the Bertolli commercials, it's fucking cute.

on roadtrips in Italy you will see plenty of houses, though, that were abandoned for some reason & that are just standing there, rotting away. it's just a waste. *sigh* my hands always start itching when I see that. in a landscape like that, anything's got potential.

I shouldn't pretend I know all of Italy. I don't. I'm Dutch & I don't even know all of the Netherlands. I'm just saying.. you said a couple of things, that you seemed pretty sure of, when every time I go there, the experience is quite different than how you described.

number 71 of 232? well then, I'd say by the looks of it it's not even remotely small (like I said before) & quite big in comparison to the rest of Europe (like I said before), but even quite large in comparison to the world. come on, it is quite large. not huge, but in comparison to most European countries.. honestly, in Europe, pretty much only Spain, Poland, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Germany & France are bigger. & Denmark, but they got Greenland to cover for them.
Italy is not very cheap for houses...probably it's the Netherlands which has very high prices...here there are many many many people complaining about prices, that have doubled with the Euro. I really cannot imagine the cost of a house in the Netherlands! :eek:
And the only houses I've ever seen about to collapse are abandoned farms near the highways.
Anyway I think we got over with the size of Italy, I said I was in a hurry and I've corrected myself...can you stop it please?

Sin Studly
03-02-2007, 10:23 AM
it's one of the most famous cities in the world and everyone wants to go there... I just didn't understand why... :-/

People wanna see it before it sinks completely.

Marco
03-02-2007, 10:28 AM
People wanna see it before it sinks completely.
Hahaha that's so true...you have to see Venice when the water is high.
I wonder how much the underwater poles will resist...:rolleyes: