PDA

View Full Version : Asteroids?

Lodat225
02-21-2007, 02:21 PM
An asteroid may come uncomfortably close to Earth in 2036 and the United Nations should assume responsibility for a space mission to deflect it, a group of astronauts, engineers and scientists said on Saturday.

Astronomers are monitoring an asteroid named Apophis, which has a 1 in 45,000 chance of striking Earth on April 13, 2036.

Although the odds of an impact by this particular asteroid are low, a recent congressional mandate for NASA to upgrade its tracking of near-Earth asteroids is expected to uncover hundreds, if not thousands of threatening space rocks in the near future, former astronaut Rusty Schweickart said.

"It's not just Apophis we're looking at. Every country is at risk. We need a set of general principles to deal with this issue," Schweickart, a member of the Apollo 9 crew that orbited the earth in March 1969, told an American Association for the Advancement of Science conference in San Francisco.

Schweickart plans to present an update next week to the U.N. Committee on Peaceful Uses of Outer Space on plans to develop a blueprint for a global response to an asteroid threat.

The Association of Space Explorers, a group of former astronauts and cosmonauts, intends to host a series of high-level workshops this year to flesh out the plan and will make a formal proposal to the U.N. in 2009, he said.

Schweickart wants to see the United Nations adopt procedures for assessing asteroid threats and deciding if and when to take action.

The favored approach to dealing with a potentially deadly space rock is to dispatch a spacecraft that would use gravity to alter the asteroid's course so it no longer threatens Earth, said astronaut Ed Lu, a veteran of the international space station.

The so-called Gravity Tractor could maintain a position near the threatening asteroid, exerting a gentle tug that, over time, would deflect the asteroid.

An asteroid the size of Apophis, which is about 460 feet long, would take about 12 days of gravity-tugging, Lu added.

Mission costs are estimated at $300 million.

Launching an asteroid deflection mission early would reduce the amount of energy needed to alter its course and increase the chances of a successful outcome, Schweickart said.

NASA says the precise effect of a 460-foot object hitting the Earth would depend on what the asteroid was made of and the angle of impact.

Paul Slovic, president of Oregon-based Decision Research, which studies judgment, decision-making and risk analysis, said the asteroid could take out an entire city or region.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/space/02/19/asteroid.deflector.reut/index.html

I found out in another forum. What do you think?

Amiralanal
02-21-2007, 02:36 PM
I dont give a fuck. Im not a trendy asshole

the_GoDdEsS
02-21-2007, 02:41 PM
I've heard about that. It's nothing too unusual. There's millions of those rocks out there that could enter the system. And I would not read about this from the media, but rather just go check it out on NASA.

TBD
02-21-2007, 02:46 PM
When I saw Deep Impact, I knew deep inside my heart that the missiles would fail.

Whiplash
02-21-2007, 02:54 PM
Astroids are gay, so are you.

HeadAroundU
02-21-2007, 03:21 PM
Apophis is just a litlle bitch. It wouldn't kill us all. :D

4 km asteroid could kill us easily. I have seen the model of the crash. Scary shit. I heard that one of the solutions how to deflect this bitch is to paint it black. Not our bbs fellow. :D Just paint it black and the sun will deflect it somehow. Physics!

Offspring-Junkie
02-22-2007, 01:59 AM
I do wonder why we didn't get hit until now, seriously. The amount of asteroids in space is uncountable.

Paint_It_Black
02-22-2007, 03:29 AM
Not our bbs fellow.

What if I had some help from Holland?

mrconeman
02-22-2007, 09:14 AM
I was hoping this thread would be about the awesome game Asteroids.
Not only was I disappointed, but now the world could end?
Fuck that.

0r4ng3
02-22-2007, 09:20 AM
I was more of a Space Invaders fan myself.

HeadAroundU
02-22-2007, 09:35 AM
What if I had some help from Holland?
What? Holland? Dexter Holland? or do you want to use drugs from Holland? I don't get it. :o

Whiplash
02-22-2007, 09:36 AM
I'd take the second one if i were you.

JohnnyNemesis
02-22-2007, 10:08 AM
I was hoping this thread would be about the awesome game Asteroids.

I think that every time I look at this thread's title. And I'm disappointed each time. So disappointed that it sends me into...wait for it...

'ROID RAGE!

JHEWUOSDHJ WAKKA WAKKA!

F@ BANKZ
02-22-2007, 10:14 AM
If there is an serious threat, we will have found a way to deal with it by 2030 watever; hell if you want to worry about something worry about global warming causing a new ice age and freezing us all to death, or yellowstone erupting: something that has a realistic chance of happening you know.

Lodat225
02-22-2007, 10:17 AM
Didn't they say that global warming would start taking effect in like 10 years?

Whiplash
02-22-2007, 10:27 AM
If we can put people on the moon, make bombs that can destroy entire country's, make aircraft carriers that only need to re-fuel once every 25 years this litle astroid shouln'd that big of a problem.
They have 10 years to come up with a sollution, And i am convinced they will.

adombomb222
02-22-2007, 04:26 PM
:D Just paint it black and the sun will deflect it somehow. Physics!

I like that idea!

adombomb222
02-22-2007, 04:27 PM
Didn't they say that global warming would start taking effect in like 10 years?

Global Warming is a bunch of bullshit.

Lodat225
02-22-2007, 04:38 PM

lolz, alright .

HeadAroundU
02-22-2007, 06:12 PM
I like that idea!
Yeah, me too but the realization could be a huge problem...

White colour would work too. As for the black colour, they want to use a filling from printers.

Duskygrin
02-23-2007, 07:39 AM

I spy with my little eye something beginning with "T".